Awoo.

ARTWORK: Dan's Work Experience (Now featuring TUFA updates)

Danj86

It's about time I did one of these too. Sorry about that.....

This here be the place where all my stuff be stored http://danfield.deviantart.com/

But for here, why not highlight the best or most popular? Okay, shall I start? don't answer that, I'll just do it anyway.....

I guess I should start with the most well known ones first.

SatBK Contest Winner

th_Drift2.jpg

Eggman Relief Cosplay Parade

th_Sonic-Relief.jpg

Wi-Fi Gaming

th_Wi-Fi.jpg

erm...okay, with limited space I'll show these 3 aswell. They aren't Sonic related.

Feathers McGraw Plasticine Figure

post-247-1238350087_thumb.jpg

Garfield Plasticine Figure

post-247-1238350115_thumb.jpg

Bowser Plasticine Figure

post-247-1238350065_thumb.jpg

That will have to do for now, any or all opinions welcomed, and thank you for your time.

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Heeey, I remember that Sonic Drift (2?) pic in SatBK! Congratulations on winning, you deserved it! :D I love the realistic0yet-fitting textures you used on the background, and the perspective work is really great, I'm really impressed by how you drew the vehicles! The headlights are so pretty *0*. I also love how Knuckles' dreadlock-spines are whipping back in the wind as he drives, so awesome~!

:lol: I LOVE that Egg-relief pic! I'm guessing it was for red nose day? That's a really spiffy idea! I love Sonic and Eggman's expressions (Sonic looks like he's doing a mocking impression there XD), and I find it cute how each of the characters are using different parts of Eggman's image for their "costumes"... I especially love Sonic and Tails' different interpretations on how to create the moustache effect. :lol: Knuckles looks snazzy in the Eggman-esque coat ;)

Kekeke, I love everyone's expressions in the WiFi one, especially Sonic's dumbfounded one - I'm guessing he's not doing so well :lol:. Awesome idea to have him in the S3&K Special Stage, the balls behind him are really pretty and shinnnyyyy... Pikachu looks very happy... evil little mouse. Evil! Love the grass effect on Pikachu's background. Love how Kirby's eating the Wiimote :lol:. Nice touch that Mario's using the GameCube controller, and I like how the bricks in the background of his part looks.

And oh my gosh those models are amazing! They must have taken ages to do, you're really talented! They look so... so real and just... wow...

Great job, DanfieldJ86! You're an awesome artist!

What the?! A post!! Cool. :)

Thanks. Your right on all accounts, my black knight pic is of Sonic Drift 2 and the Eggman relief was for red nose day. XD

Thanks for your feedback, it does help motivate me to do more. :D

I am planning to make models of both Sonic and Dr Eggman soon, just something to look out for I suppose....

Your Art is pretty cool, Its really really clean, even in that Smash bros pic, especially with the grass around Pikachu, use of such a brush often ends in a messy look, but still you make it fitting and precise C: My only crit would be workign on the proportions of characters but overall pretty neat work ya have here!

As for those models, they are absolutely amazing, I especially love bowser and the spikes on his shell, top job ^^

• 1 year later...

Good evening.

After a long hiatus from all things internet. (for personal reasons) I finally returned 2 or 3 months ago, and am ready to start sharing again. Although not much new has been done yet, I'll show some more classics that didn't appear in the previous post.

Well, where can I start? How about Fleetway Sonic the Comic Super Sonic?

post-247-0-90593100-1292081923_thumb.jpg

What about 2 classic Sonic characters Cosplaying as Capcom Characters?

Mighty The Armadillo as Street Fighter: Ryu

post-247-0-53433600-1292081941_thumb.jpg

Nack The Weasel/Fang The Sniper as Devil May Cry: Dante

post-247-0-57668600-1292081905_thumb.jpg

Something differant? How about Anime? Saber Marionette J?

post-247-0-63162200-1292081962_thumb.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist?

post-247-0-47725300-1292082021_thumb.jpg

Or Azumanga Diaoh?

post-247-0-87498900-1292082011_thumb.jpg

Over the past 4 years I've been working on a Fan Comic featuring the original Knuckles Chaotix cast, as well as Nack and Ray. (Knuckles, Vector, Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Nack & Ray the main characters.) And after lots of hard work, it will finally surface in the coming months, here's some teasers of the story.

A mystery character based on a fact here: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/Danfield/Untitled-1.jpg (6th one down)

post-247-0-42057700-1292081991_thumb.jpg

Deadly alternate forms.

post-247-0-54196000-1292082003_thumb.jpg

And lots of epic battles. (sketch form, picture not yet finished)

post-247-0-44129200-1292082898_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your time, I hope you enjoyed what you have seen. This is Daniel signing off.....

Edited by DanfieldJ86

• 6 months later...

I'm back!!

Did you notice I was gone? Here's why...

sonic_20th_anniversary_tribute_by_danfield-d3ivf5s.jpg

You can see a much larger version at my Deviantart gallery. If you wish to check it out, there should be a link on my profile page.

Description:

3 Months of intense planning, sketching and....photoshoping. lol

Greetings, this is a special piece of work that I made for a tribute project by *Psyguy

Don't mistake me for a Sonic expert. The cast of characters were compiled with major help from the website Sonic News Network http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

For example, I'm very bad at Tails SkyPatrol, so I had no idea the game had it's own cast of boss characters. (although I had heard of Witchcart before.)

I can't answer everyones questions if you spot someone you don't know, so I suggest going to the SNN if you wanna know who someone is.

There is some characters not featured on this pic, that's becouse I set up some rules to help decide who I can use.

Cast Rules:

1: No Transformations/Duplicates. The large number of Supers had to be excluded from the pic. If I had Super Sonic on, then I would've had to have Super Knuckles/Shadow/Tails etc. Also I didn't want Sonic and Super Sonic in the same picture as separate characters, so this rule was also to count storybook versions and Neo Metal Sonic.

2: Must Have Been Playable. There is at least one playable character that I left out, I'll explain why in the relevant rule.

3: Important Story Characters. Pretty self explanatory.

4: No Spoilers. Mostly includes secret last bosses, I also included E-10000B (Playable on Free Riders.) as a spoiler too.

5: Must Have Appeared on at Least One Game. No hacked, glitched, axed, comic, TV, or fan characters.

Badniks and small animals are used to fill in spaces in the picture. There is at least one badnik from Sonic 1, 2 & 3

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Okay, I've done some refurbishing of my art topic here.

One of the main reasons, was me offering tips and how I go about drawing my art. So rather than clutter other folks topics with my stuff, I'll use my own area to show off some things and hope for the best.

Are you ready?

First I'm going to cover your average Sonic character. But before I do that, I should refer you to a good friend of mines own tutorial, as my style has somewhat evolved with her help.

Chibi-Jen-Hen's "How To Draw Mighty...sorta" http://chibi-jen-hen...-sorta-25248939

Strangely, it never occured to me 6 years ago to start a drawing with simple shapes. But now after seeing this and alot of How To Draw Manga books, I do it all the time, and would suggest for anyone else to do the same.

So hopefully you are now familier with "Lines The Stickhog"

Lines-The-Stickhog.png

That's what I dubbed this guy...I have no idea why...

If you checked the tutorial, you'll know he's basically:

~A big circle for the head

~A small oval body

~Lines for arms and legs

~Circles for hands and triangles for feet

~An oval shape for the centre of the muzzle drawing the cheeks from it

This basic setup can be used for a large number of the Sonic cast, whether they be from game, cartoon or comic.

If it will help, use a lighter pencil to plan out the shape of the character and the pose like this and use a darker pencil to complete details and features. I used to do that at first, although I did go through pencils twice as fast, and after a certain amount of sharpening they become useless...

Any professional would tell you that you must never draw a character in a plain standing pose as I've shown here. If I was to finish it, the art community would pwn me. So experiment with poses, as long as your drawing lightly, any mistake can be fixed without ever knowing it was there.

Here's some rough sketch poses and the characters they became:

Classic-Espio.png

Classic Espio The Chameleon: This pose was to emulate how he would run on Knuckles Chaotix, and because he can scale walls, that's why he's at this angle. I also added rounded rectangles for the wrists and ankles, to help shape the gloves and shoes.

Turbo.png

StCs Turbo: By having his feet pointing either up or down gives the impression they are in midair. Also a second slightly larger circle was added to shape his helmet.

Dark-Sonic.png

Sonic Xs Dark (Super) Sonic: Never be afraid to show a character from other angles or expanding on a plain. A person is rarely ever completely straight as you look at them, having an arm and a leg in front of the rest of the body is normal. But it is tricky to master, yet it'll be worth it, otherwise you risk your drawings looking like a Seth Macfarlane cartoon.

Once you've mastered the basic shape you can try different types of characters from Sonics large roster that would require some special touches like:

Merna.png

AoStHs Merna The Merhog: The head is done exactly the same while for her femine body I used a diamond shape and the typical fish tail for the...well...tail.

Simpson-1.png

StCs Simpson The Cat: This time the body is a circle. It sould be important to note if you wish to draw Sonic and Co the classic way, than a circle for the body is your best move. While a series of different shapes was connected to form his...unique shaped head.

As confidence grows so should your experimentation:

Arms-n-Dynamight.png

Dr. Robotnik's MBMs Arms & Dynamight: Completely different from the others, but if you stick to simple shapes to help form the bodies and poses, you should be fine.

Classic-Tails-Blacksmith-n-.png

Classic Tails, Blacksmith & Ali Baba: Group poses bring the new problem of scale, make sure you understand the height of a character compared to another. With this example Classic Tails is obviously the smallest.

On a side note, I made a couple of typical mistakes on this sheet of paper.

Whoopsie.png

As you can see, Arms and Ali Baba overlap and also Ali Baba is partially cut off the edge of the paper. If you digitally colour in your pictures like I do, software like Photoshop is good for fixing them. With help from the "Pen Tool" the lines that were cut off can be digitally added and also when doing the Line Art over digitally you can seperate the overlaping lines with help from the "layers" function.

That'll hafta do for now, I hope this helps someone, or I just wasted 2 hours for nothing. lol

Any questions? Problems? Like me to cover a certain subject? Just ask! wink.png

Next Time: I'll cover the dreaded hands and a typical Anime face. Don't miss it!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I made a little Sonic 1 like logo thing that I only intend to use for a display in my signature. So if anyone wants to use it for your own projects, your free to do so.

It's only a simple vector art thing anyways.

soniclogo.png

You'll see it twice as I've already put it in my sig. Also it is the size required for what I needed it for. If anyone wants one at a bigger or specific size, just let me know and I'll get one for you.

Note: The Hiragana under the ribbon says "danime." (I hope.) I would've had it say "Daniel," but my knowledge of Japanese spelling is still limited, and I know there is no "L" sound in there letters.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Somethings been bothering me about my art for a while now, and I've not been able to put me finger on the issue yet. I recently did some pictures of original characters for my brother, and my approach in making them was slightly different.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are better or worse then my past stuff. So if anyone would like to critique them, please be as brutally honest as possible. I'm not going to get better if I don't figure out what's wrong.

The Neko Angel

nekoangel.png

The Blue Akuma

blueakuma.png

Don't worry about the designs. These are requests from my brother and one of his friends. They play on some kind of online interaction game where you can customize your character. I don't know what it's called or where you can find it. But these characters here, are a depiction of there own personal customized characters.

Your sketchwork is rather clean. As for the more 'anime' characters, there are a few details off here. For starters, the angel cat character needs more work on the hands and wings. I would look at references for hands, especially at perspective. Perhaps look at your own hands at the exact pose you're drawing and sketch it out. The wings looks a little...clumped together. I'm not sure if you're going for a more cartoon look, so having exact details of feather alignment isn't really necessary, however there is the simple division of feathers such as the marginal coverts (top section of the wing), primary and secondary coverts (middle section), and primary and secondary feathers (bottom section/feathers) that help to fill the wings out better. Here's a pretty basic dissection of wings for any future artwork concerning feathered wings.

Hope that helps at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Some people have amazing colouring skills...

I remember years ago, saying to myself "One day, I will draw the Sonic Adventure style!" ...And now I can...but I need to move onto the next challenge, and I've seen some unbelievable colouring, that I would love to learn myself. But I've been finding it tricky to locate a reasonable photoshop tutorial...

So, anyway...onto something new.

Deviant Art are doing something they called "Design Challenge" and I figured I'd have a go. The theme was to design a cute monster that will appear on a t-shirt. The rules don't suggest I'm not allowed to show it anywhere else, so here he is. His name is Ghostie and he never leaves home without his favourite blankie.

cutemonster.png

It seems winners are comprised by a voting system, but unfortunately from the looks of things, only dA members can vote. You vote by clicking on a tab that says "I'd Wear This!"

I'll provide a link to the image, but I'm not gonna demand all dA members who are here to vote for it. If you think it's cute, then by all means...there doesn't appear to be any voting limit though...so it might be possible to vote for every entry if you had the patience...

http://danfield.devi...t.com/#/d4r32az

Thank you for your time.

There's not much crit to give, really. Your work is still very unrefined, but you've got a good grasp on it. I'd suggest experimenting more with drawing realistic humans, it helps, and some experiences in inking.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's not much crit to give, really. Your work is still very unrefined, but you've got a good grasp on it. I'd suggest experimenting more with drawing realistic humans, it helps, and some experiences in inking.

Hey, thanks. I think I know what you mean.

I spend far too much time drawing Sonic and other zany characters, that I don't work on human characters as much. As well as needing a deeper understanding of the capabilities of image editing software. I've only just discovered something known as Paint Tool Sai, got a bunch of tutorials for first time assisting.

I gotta go start my training for drawing human characters! There would be no point of me sharing my original characters if I can't even draw them very well.

I voted for your t-shirt monster thing ^_^ good luck! Well I really like your style! You're a very good sonic artist! It took me some time to master the style and still its not perfect for other characters (like tails for example... I still work on them to get them right).

As for the other drawings like the ones from azumanga daioh and other human characters, you need to practice more!

I cant wait to see your next sketches from humans : D Im not an expert too, but I will try to help you if i can!

Last but not least, I liked your tutorials on the sonic characters, I'm gonna use them for sure ;) I will wait for the next one :D

PS: I love SAI! Its the best, even though i only use it for the lineart :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

So...how are we doing? I don't know who I'm asking...

To help me learn how to properly draw a human character, I purchased these.

20080226_buck.jpg

You can buy either a male or female version, so I got both. I am pleased with the buy because I am seeing an improvement in my work...but saying that, only one drawing is finished and ready to share here, but it's not the best example in my opinion...so before I show that, I need to do a little back story, as I've decided to merge this topic with another I made about a project I sometimes mention, dubbed by myself as TUFA.

TUFA or The Ultimate (Sonic) FanArt is a continuation of this:

sonic20thanniversarytri.jpg

You might've seen it in one of the above posts. It is also the most commented and faved picture at my DA art gallery. And is easily the biggest thing I have ever done.

So why fix what is not broken?

Because of some of the comments I got. Several were disappointed by the lack of one character called Sally Acorn, one person wanted a character called Scrouge? Scourge? and a couple pointed out that Emerl should've been on, as well as Black Doom, and one joked about having the 2 player Sonic Bot, from Colours.

This sparked something inside me...and so TUFA was born. I wanted to make everybody happy, although I now know that this is a foolish and impossible task. It was still the original motivation to start such a thing. I also let myself down by not having characters in the pic, that really should've been in.

So TUFA is basically an extention of that original picture, but doesn't have any restrictive rules like the original did.

• Comic characters from Archie and Fleetway will be featured.
  • Spoiler characters or final bosses will now be added.
  • Sonic cartoon characters will also be a part of this.
  • Transformations, storybook and classic versions will also be in.
  • Important Sega/Sonic Team staff and community members will be featured also.
  • Crossover characters, cameo characters and characters from other games that Sonic has made a cameo in will also make it into the picture.
  • The community can pick and choose characters and people who they want from the above list, to make sure nobody important is missed out.

Now for the previews. Here's a sample of what I got so far...

tufafiona.png

Archies, Fiona Fox.

tufaflare.png

Fleetways, Flare.

tufaonmiviewer.png

Fleetways, Omni-Viewer.

I recently decided to include key things from the Sonic series too, and I would like to show you three of them...

tufaorca.png

Orca/Killer Whale. This chap has appeared quite alot, surprisingly. Usually trying to kill Sonic, but it's role had changed to assist on Generations. They even appeared on Sonic & Sega All Star Racing.

tufaguntruck.png

GUN Truck. Although only appearing in two games, the level is so well loved that the Truck itself is become an icon in it's own right.

tufadeathegg.png

Death Egg. As it appeared in Generations. Once I figured that key items would also be feature, the first that came to mind was this big bad thing, that spanned 3 games to eventually get rid of.

Next up are Non-Sonic characters inside this spoiler tag.

tufachu.png

Reason for appearance: Unlock Chao as replacement for chus in Chu Chu Rocket.

tufakirby.png

Reason for appearance: The Representative for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. If demand requests it, more Brawl characters can be added.

tufahulk.png

Reason for appearance: In The Incredible Hulk 2008 game, Sonic appears on a billboard.

The Hulk is the character I drew with the assist of my new manniquin. The Hulk was probably the worst choice for a character to draw for practicing the male figure. I think the feet seem wrong, and maybe the muscles on the side of his chest. The female character looks much better in my opinion. You'll see her in my next update.

The watermarks are just there to prevent them being stolen. They won't be there like that in the final picture.

More previews are on the way. I'm also working on a type of catalogue or portfolio for when I plan on taking commissions, they'll be up here soon too, with more information about the type of things I draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Normal service resumed in this post, with the first reference material for when I'm gonna be taking commissions. I don't really stick to one type of character and I'd often tryout all kinds of different things in my art.

So I wanted to give any would be potential commissioners a good amount of options. But first, here is the full list.

1. Non-Human character - Any character that is not contructed in normal human proportions.
  2. 3 Panel Gag Comic - Western Style (left to right) Black n White only.
  3. 4 Panel Gag Manga - Eastern Style (Top to bottem) Black n White only.
  4. Full Page Gag Comic - Black n White or Coloured.
  5. Toon Character - Western style characters.
  6. Adventure Style - Sonic Adventure style picture, w or w/o background.
  7. Battle Style - Sonic Battle style picture w or w/o background.
  8. Human Portrait Shots - Manga style. Portrait = head and shoulders only.
  9. Human Bust Shots - Manga style. Bust = upper body only.
  10. Human Long Shots - Manga style. Long = the whole body.

It would also be possible to mix and match, as group pictures are something else I do a lot of, but that doesn't count for the comics though. As I'm still working on reference material first, I'll be trying to figure out a good pricing method later.

Non-Human Character: Kirby.

kirbyq.jpg