Awoo.

10 years since Sonic Adventure

Dr_Ultimate

The game I bought a Dreamcast for.

I love this game. I remember being so impressed with the graphics and the music, this was the first game I played that had actual songs made for it, and I thought it was just so cool!

The thing that really stuck out to me was the story. Coming from a series of games where the most detailed story at that point involved Sonic saving an island of birds, made this game stick out. To me it still has the best Sonic/Tails relationship from any game ("I HATE it when he doesn't listen!") and just the history you get from the characters with lots of subtle hints to previous games (CD, 3&K) and the fact that most of the characters had arcs, (Amy became useless after this game, and completely went back on what she decided in this game, likewise Tails pretty much had the same arc in SA2) and of course Robotnik was an actual threat, while he wasn't quite the badass he would become in SA2, he was still a threat, with Deem Bristo's soul crushing line of "You fool. Away, before I make mince-meat out of you!" The giant monster was a shock in this game....it's just a damn shame Sega have seen fit to use it in every....single....main cannon game since. To me this game still plays like a dream, while it's true it's not perfect with some faulty camera and controls, it still plays the best to me.

It's been 10 years since it was made, and it still hasn't been topped. Let's hope it won't take Sega another 10 years to do so!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Phos

• Thirsty Pocket

• Sean

I was replaying it recently. For once, I skipped every movie scene and I can't believe how short everything is...

It's a bit dissapointing.

Also, the music is too loud, muffling character voices, and are sometimes unfitting for the situation.

Hmm...man, 10 years...when I was younger, this was THE game to get. My friends were jealous: it was so fast, had 6 characters, kickass graphics...I was actually able to gloat over my friend who had Super Mario 64. Looking back and playing it now, it hasn't aged quite as well as the other mentioned game, but it's still a load of fun, and it's worth it for the nostalgia. Granted, I hate playing as Big and Amy, but I actually think the other 4 characters are a blast to play as. It's so well put together for its time, that compared to a good chunk of 3D Sonic games, it's god. And the fact that this is Sonic Team's first attempt at making all these Sonic characters work in 3D only heightens the success of this title. Only Sonic Adventure 2 comes close to scratching this success, IMO.

^

Actually I find Sonic Adventure is more playable today than Super Mario 64 is.

SA does hold quite a few fond memories in my heart. The first 3D Sonic game I had ever played. I was so desperate to play it since I was such a big fan of the old games. I asked for a Dreamcast on my Birthday with SA, and got it. It was a huge blast, and eventually even my friend ended up buying a DC for it. Definitely a great game.

One name... E102 GAMMA! Best robot character in sonic games history! Really if this game didn't have sonic/tails I'd go back to play it just for Gamma's story. Spectacular for a robot. I think alot of sonic games teared up after his/her death.

LONG LIVE GAMMA! thinks: *gamma vs omega*

What I found was that Sonic Adventure was an exciting game for a while, but the novelty did wear off. Fun, but it didn't have nearly as much replay value as Super Mario 64.

Also, after playing Unleashed and then going back to try SA again, SA seems so slow in comparison.