Awoo.

Wanting to play the Paper Mario series.

Crystal Kingfisher

Okay, so I've been hearing so many people talk about the Paper Mario series and how it's so awesome and stuff. The sad thing is, I never played any of the Paper Mario games! (well, except Super Paper Mario...) The only Mario RPGs I've played are the Mario and Luigi ones, which I love (except Partners in Time). So I was thinking, which Paper Mario game is better? 1 or 2? Should I get Paper Mario 1 on N64, or wait until the 3DS remake? And is Paper Mario 2 worth it? I remember hearing from many people (and reviewers, but I don't listen to most reviewers anymore) when it first came out that it was a piece of shit, but I've heard lots of people on here saying it was good, so should I get it for real cheap, or is it worth whatever price I can find it for?

Please help!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Blood

• SuperStingray

• Diogenes

• Carbo

So I was thinking, which Paper Mario game is better? 1 or 2?

Both of them are Great Games, But in my Personal Opinion, 2 was the Overall Better Game, Especiallly Story Wise.

Should I get Paper Mario 1 on N64, or wait until the 3DS remake?

As far as I know Paper Mario 3DS is a Completeley New Installment, as for PM1 I would recommend Getting it for VC if you can. if not, sure, go get it for the N64.

And is Paper Mario 2 worth it? I remember hearing from many people (and reviewers, but I don't listen to most reviewers anymore) when it first came out that it was a piece of shit, but I've heard lots of people on here saying it was good, so should I get it for real cheap, or is it worth whatever price I can find it for?

The People that Said PM2 is shit are Filthy Liers and should be Sacked.

In all seriousness tho' PM2 is very Much worth it, if you Enjoyed the M&L games, you'll enjoy this one.

I think most people who played each when they first came out would say the original Paper Mario is better, and it definitely has a more classic Mario storyline.

It's also much easier to get, it's just a VC download away.

However I personally vastly prefer Thousand Year Door, it's probably my favourite Mario RPG. It may not be as good for its time as the first game, but it's got a lot of smart bits and a very nice story.

By the way, Paper Mario 3DS isn't a remake, it's a new Paper Mario game. Just FYI.

The 3DS game isn't a remake- it's entirely new. Now as for which is better, TTYD (that no2) is way better. It's everything the original is, and more. 'More' does include text btw, The game is so astoundingly text-heavy it's actually kind of hard to believe. While that sounds like a bad thing, it's well written enough to keep you properly interested and very humorous quite often.

The first game, while still great, is often more tedious. It has far too many areas that are maze-like, so you might end up running around in circles for ages. And there's not so much to the battle. In TTYD you have stylish moves, the audience, start powers that you manipulate and your partners actually have HP (and are more useful). In PM, partners are either healthy or knocked out and to compensate CPUs will usually attack Mario. The storyline is, as Link said, very different from anything you'd expect in Mario. It would be most unfitting had it not been handled so well with such zany characters and nonsense here, there and everywhere. The end result is delightful.

If you're only interested in playing one for now, go for TTYD, hands down. It's superior in every way. But if you want both, then PM on Wii VC is fine too.

EDIT: Double ninja'd lol. Also, changed stuff.

Edited by Blue Blood

I actually haven't played the original Paper Mario, but I agree with the consensus on Thousand-Year Door. It's probably my favourite Mario RPG, but it doesn't capture that Mario feeling as well as SMRPG or the Mario & Luigi games. You mentioned that you've played at least some of the Mario & Luigi games, as I recall, so TTYD's slight branching out in style might not bother you as much since you've already got a foundation in what a normal Mario RPG is like.

...and honestly I have no idea where you heard all of these bad things about Thousand-Year Door. It's got a Metacritic score of 87%, after all, so it's not like it's only appreciated by a small following.

Edited by Octarine

Haven't played any but the first and it was thoroughly enjoyable, if remarkably difficult in some areas. Huff N Puff and the Crystal King are both insanely hard bosses and they're mandatory. Nevertheless, as I said it's extremely fun and I love how the story never takes itself seriously and has comedic aspects. Lovely and original art direction too.

From what i've read and seen of Paper Mario 2's battle system in comparison to the first, the addition of slots to recieve items/perform attack and the audience seems quite gimmicky. I haven't played it so i'm quite unqualified to comment.

They're both good games. I'd honestly recommend getting both; if you go with that, play them in order, if only because you'll be going forwards in graphics, gameplay mechanics, etc, instead of backwards.

If you're only going to get one, I'd personally pick Thousand Year Door, but either would be a good choice. It kind of depends on what you want; the first game is a more traditional Mario sort of story, with Bowser as the main villain and mostly typical Mario-ish tone, while the second has Bowser taking a back seat to a new villain and a more unique setting (the hub area is a seedy port town with mobster Piantas and a gallows in the town square). The quality of the story is about the same no matter which one you choose. Regarding the gameplay mechanics, tho', Thousand Year Door is an improvement in basically every area...

From what i've read and seen of Paper Mario 2's battle system in comparison to the first, the addition of slots to recieve items/perform attack and the audience seems quite gimmicky. I haven't played it so i'm quite unqualified to comment.

Play it and you will think otherwise :P

The audience don't throw items very often, but you get a good few seconds warning when they do. Sometimes it'll be a mushroom for you to put in your inventory, and other times it will just be an old can which'll do you minimal damage. The audience also grows and shrinks depending on your performance (or some specific battles other things cause a change). The larger the audience, the easier it is to gain start power for special attacks. It's a very clever system.

Play it and you will think otherwise :P

The audience don't throw items very often, but you get a good few seconds warning when they do. Sometimes it'll be a mushroom for you to put in your inventory, and other times it will just be an old can which'll do you minimal damage. The audience also grows and shrinks depending on your performance (or some specific battles other things cause a change). The larger the audience, the easier it is to gain start power for special attacks. It's a very clever system.

I definitely agree here: with the exception of a few of the partners' attacks requiring some downright uncomfortable button combos (lookin' at you, Ms. Mowz), TTYD's battle system is one of the most fun I've encountered in any RPG. The stats and actual combat mechanics are simple (which in itself is a good thing: you almost always know how much damage an attack is going to do), but the game compensates for them by making the battlefield totally chaotic. Timed hits, the audience throwing items, the audience's slot machine, appealing to the audience, set pieces falling over... it's completely hectic, but it's always engaging.

EDIT: If there's one bad thing I could say about the game, it's that the Trouble Center sidequests are terrible. Just lots and lots of backtracking for virtually useless rewards. Just do Ms. Mowz's trouble and stay away from the rest, unless you need cash or cheap healing items really badly.

Edited by Octarine

Paper Mario: TTYD was my first Paper Mario game and I totally enjoyed it, but when I played the first Paper Mario on the Wii, I was disappointed to find out how much the plot sorta copies itself a bit from the first game. For instance, in Paper Mario the first dungeon (if you wanna call it that) is a castle, and what does Paper Mario: TTYD start you off with? A castle as well. D:

Though I will say that TTYD DID have some original bits/ideas, such as the fighting tournament in the sky, that was quite fun. c:

So despite its copypasta plot with a few tweaks, I honestly prefer TTYD. Why? Because it was a bit more challenging than the first game, especially the last boss, ugh...

As for Super Paper Mario? Major disappointment really :c

Oh, and Paper Mario 3DS? Hell yeah, better take it back to how it SHOULD be.

Edited by Eth

or some specific battles other things cause a change

Seeing that fucking red dragon litterally swoop in and EAT half the audience was really gruesome for a Mario game, especially as you see Toads getting chewed up in his mouth.

I fucking hate vore.

Seeing that fucking red dragon litterally swoop in and EAT half the audience was really gruesome for a Mario game, especially as you see Toads getting chewed up in his mouth.

I fucking hate vore.

I never saw it as anything beyond what you'd expect to see in a kids cartoon, but it's been a while since I played the game. The story going on in the Glitz Pit WAS dark however.

Pretty much like everyone here has said, TTYD is easily the best of the bunch, hell it's my favorite Mario game in general. It's replayability value is immense and its really unique. It is harder found than the original Paper Mario in this day and age but it's worth it.

One of the good things I found about the game is that it doesn't take its ques from the typical Mario verse. Instead of being set in the Mushroom Kingdom its set in Rogueport and while it still has some of the typical kind of areas such as "mandatory grass overworld and castle chapter" thing, its easily the most unique when it comes to locales. Places such as Twilight Town and Glitzville are extremely memorable yet nothing like any Mario game you've ever seen. Not to mention, the story is probably the most epic and thought out story in any Mario game ever. Alot of people keep saying Galaxy is the most "epic" Mario game in terms of setting but dwell enough into Paper Mario 2 and you'll find something beyond any Mario experience ever seen, and Paper Mario 2 crushes anything another Mario game has had to offer in story, graphics, music, setting and charm. It's just that good.

That's not to say Paper Mario 1 isn't good though, in fact it's fantastic as well. It plays pretty much the typical Mario storyline only done into an RPG and pretty much kicked off the anarchic sense of humor that was even increased in Paper Mario 2.

Considering the games don't have a continuity to each other it doesn't matter where you start either.

Edited by Columind

Pokemon and the Mario RPGs are the only JRPGs I give a damn about. And the Paper Mario games, IMO are the best of all of them. They provide a thrilling story without becoming too serious, the battles have an extra dimension of interactivity beyond picking attacks off menus and the graphics are colorful and unique. Paper Mario: TTYD is definitely the better of the two, IMO, but don't forget about the first one.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'd highly recommend it, some of my favorite RPGs and easily the best gaiden Mario games out there. Paper Mario 2 is one of my favorite Mario games of all time, up there with Galaxy 1 & 2, and it's the best in the "Paper" series. Definitely download the first one on VC and pick up number 2 for the GameCube cheap at Gamestop if you can, they're fantastic games.

I also recommend you play the first two Paper Mario games since you've mentioned you already played the third one. I personally liked the fist one the most, but that's just my personal preference. If you're looking the play the first one, you can get it on the virtual console.

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to get Paper Mario 1 on the N64 once I get the chance, and I'll get Paper Mario 2 afterwards.

If you dont wanna fork out money on a game, just draw paper mario and the other characters you want, cut em out! then draw the backgrounds you want...

now you've got your own makeshift paper mario entertainment!!! :D

Ahahaha! Ahaha! Haha! Oh... that wasn't funny.

But that something you miss so much in the first game compared to the second. The second game has so much more play on everything being paper.

But that something you miss so much in the first game compared to the second. The second game has so much more play on everything being paper.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Frankly, I don't really know why they decided to make the first one out of Paper.

If you dont wanna fork out money on a game, just draw paper mario and the other characters you want, cut em out! then draw the backgrounds you want...

now you've got your own makeshift paper mario entertainment!!! :D

I considered doing that once... I wanted to remake the entire Paper Mario world out of paper. Needless to say, I didn't get very far.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Frankly, I don't really know why they decided to make the first one out of Paper.

Well why are they making the new Kirby game out of yarn?

I considered doing that once... I wanted to remake the entire Paper Mario world out of paper. Needless to say, I didn't get very far.

Glad someone liked my idea :D

I also invented, classroom tetris too, I can tell you how to make that ;D

Well why are they making the new Kirby game out of yarn?

Because they're doing something with it. My point is that they didn't really play with the Paper concept until the second game.