Awoo.

Wanting to play the Paper Mario series.

Crystal Kingfisher

Because they're doing something with it. My point is that they didn't really play with the Paper concept until the second game.
I dunno, they did play with it a bit in the first game, just not nearly as much as in the second. I remember a few times when Mario'd float down like a piece of paper, and at the time having characters as thin as paper and flipping around as they moved was pretty new.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Blood

• SuperStingray

• Diogenes

• Octarine

I dunno, they did play with it a bit in the first game, just not nearly as much as in the second. I remember a few times when Mario'd float down like a piece of paper, and at the time having characters as thin as paper and flipping around as they moved was pretty new.

Yeah, but when they did do it, it was usually just for comical effect. In the second, it was an actual game mechanic.

Well the first game was called "Mario Story" in Japan, so I'm not even sure if they acknowledged that everything was made of paper there. All the paper effects in Japan were probably just supposed to have fun with the fact that all the characters were flat (but not necessarily made of paper) due to the game's graphical style.

The second game, however, was called "Paper Mario RPG" in Japan, which meant that they were now acknowledging that the characters were made of paper. Thus, Paper elements were added to the gameplay.

That's just my theory, anyway.

That probably sounds about right. Regardless, it really adds a pretty fantastic angle to PM1 and 2. It's a proper '2D but 3D' style.