Awoo.

The Fallen Cast...

CrownSlayers Shadow

This topic is still going strong?

Oh well, might as well change the topic. But it's not going to be just about Tails.

Hang on a moment. *editing*

Well I know that, but I thought we already covered Amy, Knuckles, Rouge and Shadow?

Jeez, this topic just won't die will it?

Well I remembered this topic was still around when I thought about it.

Well I know that, but I thought we already covered Amy, Knuckles, Rouge and Shadow?

We've actually covered just about every character (with some left out). This is more of a comparison.

Jeez, this topic just won't die will it?

Doesn't seem like it. :lol:

I once made a topic on the old board called Character Jihad back when Shadow and character hate was rampant and ridiculous. That shit lasted 54 pages.

So the subject now is Tails vs. Knuckles what's that about?

It's a comparison.

Basically, what does either Tails or Knuckles bring to the table that the other is incapable of bringing due to certain conditions? How would you build them in order to achieve that level, and what would still set them back?

The way I see it, Tails has absolutely nothing holding him back, and could very well surpass Sonic in the endless possibilities that he can strive for.

Knuckles...well I've made that obvious so many times.

It's a comparison.

Basically, what does either Tails or Knuckles bring to the table that the other is incapable of bringing due to certain conditions? How would you build them in order to achieve that level, and what would still set them back?

The way I see it, Tails has absolutely nothing holding him back, and could very well surpass Sonic in the endless possibilities that he can strive for.

Knuckles...well I've made that obvious so many times.

The best way for Tails to make a return playable appearance would be return him to Sonic's right hand man, and give'em full on Co-op, I mean I can think of a lot of moves that Sonic & Tails can use for each other, and it would reestablish them as Bash Brothers.

The best way for Tails to make a return playable appearance would be return him to Sonic's right hand man, and give'em full on Co-op, I mean I can think of a lot of moves that Sonic & Tails can use for each other, and it would reestablish them as Bash Brothers.

Uh, gameplay is completely irrelevant in this topic.

This is more to do with plot and character development.

But with that potential he has, I could picture Tails creating his own squadron of robots to assist him and Sonic throughout their adventures, creating a massive airship, becoming at engineering director, a military official, and so on. Of course, most, if not all of that would fall within the realm of fanfiction to you guys and none of you could ever see it or you could even be against it, and I don't blame you. But still, I think it's fun to imagine the possibilities and have an insight to where Tails could grow. As long as it benefits the character and makes him likable. But moving on...

While against military official, I still would like to see Tails be the main source of technology that Sonic can access. Despite many people's qualms with it, Tails was pretty much MADE to be a walking toolbox. All his potential could be put to great use in helping the heroes. Reminds me of the Metarex saga in Sonic X; Tails' technology is an omnipresent influence in the group's adventure, and there's a whole slew of gadgets that he comes up with (and ironically, he DID make a airship, well spaceship, and was pretty much leader of the crew throughout that season).

*It's really gameplay that Tails' engineering skillz can be truly realized, there's limitless amounts of machines that can grant Sonic new abilities, and vehicles to spice up some minigames (don't try and tell me the Jet-ski sections in Rush Adventure weren't fun as all hell).

*Oh this is about plot and character development, forgot...... well......

Knuckles....... well I already expressed my thoughts on the matter in that other topic that I can't remember.

Edited by Black Spy

Uh, gameplay is completely irrelevant in this topic.

This is more to do with plot and character development.

Then completely disregard what I just said.

While against military official, I still would like to see Tails be the main source of technology that Sonic can access. Despite many people's qualms with it, Tails was pretty much MADE to be a walking toolbox. All his potential could be put to great use in helping the heroes. Reminds me of the Metarex saga in Sonic X; Tails' technology is an omnipresent influence in the group's adventure, and there's a whole slew of gadgets that he comes up with (and ironically, he DID make a airship, well spaceship, and was pretty much leader of the crew throughout that season).

*It's really gameplay that Tails' engineering skillz can be truly realized, there's limitless amounts of machines that can grant Sonic new abilities, and vehicles to spice up some minigames (don't try and tell me the Jet-ski sections in Rush Adventure weren't fun as all hell).

*Oh this is about plot and character development, forgot...... well.....

I was having a conversation on Sega forums, and she stated that while Tails learned to be more independent, he kinda became more dull and boring, becoming nothing more than walking tool kit as you said, and I have to say I kinda agree. I'm not saying get rid of his tech skills, because its a huge part of his character development, but should Tails be more childlike? I mean at this point he's the most sensible member of his team, at least when compared to Sonic(Sometimes to cocky for his own good), Knuckles(Gullible), and Amy(Tends to let her crush on Sonic get the better of her).

I'm not saying get rid of his tech skills, because its a huge part of his character development, but should Tails be more childlike? I mean at this point he's the most sensible member of his team, at least when compared to Sonic(Sometimes to cocky for his own good), Knuckles(Gullible), and Amy(Tends to let her crush on Sonic get the better of her).

Oh of course not. Given his intelligence and the friends he hangs with, he nicely fits in as the straight man to Sonic's wisecracking antics.

Edited by Black Spy

I'm not saying get rid of his tech skills, because its a huge part of his character development, but should Tails be more childlike? I mean at this point he's the most sensible member of his team, at least when compared to Sonic(Sometimes to cocky for his own good), Knuckles(Gullible), and Amy(Tends to let her crush on Sonic get the better of her).

Oh of course not. Given his intelligence and the friends he hangs with, he nicely fits in as the straight man to Sonic's wisecracking antics.

My thoughts on tails

One thing I think is important is Tails' naivity. Rather the lack thereof.

I don't mind him being smart and tech-happy, but I want him to have some childish naivity. You could have a genius 8 year old, but that won't mean he fully understands the concept of morality, or right and wrong. It doesn't mean he/she won't be frightened by giant fucking robots. Even a genius child has a role-model or someone to look up to.

Colours really did well with making Tails and Sonic have a brotherly relationship. So I think they should push that a little further.

I know Tails isn't really impressed by Sonic's perpertual badassery at this point, but Tails should still want to be like Sonic. Tails wants to be cool like Sonic, Tails wants to be a role-model for some other kid, just like Sonic is a role-model to him.

One thing I never liked about Zero Gravity's story, was the fact that Tails; the 8-year-old boy genius, was the key moral authority. Seriously?

He should be looking up to Sonic and/or Knuckles for moral guidance. He may be clever, but he's only 8 years old.

For example, Tails suggests going in Robotnik's base and, essentially blowing it up. Sonic; the older, wiser Character says no, because of the potential collateral damaage. The surreounding environment, and woodland creatures could also be harmed by the explosion.

Tails should be smart and practical, but because of his young age and lack of experience, he should be unaware of the potential threats of collateral damage. He's only 8 years old after all. Sonic may be cocky and lacadaisical, but that shouldn't mean that Tails should take role of Moral Authority, Sonic should still be the guy who takes charge and explains a few things to Tails. This is because Sonic has experience; something which Tails lacks

My thoughts on Knux

Firstly, he shouldn't be in the games plot unless he's required to be. Yes he's one of the original 3, but unlike characters such as Sonic, Tails and even Shadow, he has a Job. That Job is to protect Angel Island and the Master Emerald. Unless there is a potential threat to Angel Island or the Master Emerald, then he shouldn't be involved with the Main plot. This means he shouldn't be following Sonic and Tails around arbitrarily. A perfect example of what not to do with Knuckles, is shown in 06; where he follows Sonic and Tails around like a fucking mug.

When his involvement is required, he shouldn't be a retard who constantly needs things explained to him. He doesn't have learning disabilities, he's just not good with Technology. In order for him to be a useful character, he should be the person who deals with the mystical shit. Things related to the the Chaos Emeralds or ancient civilisations should be his expertise. He should essentially be the opposite to Tails. Wiser, greater understanding of the mystical, with experience, however completely useless with Technology. In the same sense that Tails is the best with technology, but is useless with wisdom and experience.

Say for example Robotnik is investigating some ancient ruins, but Sonic and Tails don't know why, Knuckles couls step in and suggest reasons for why, using his knowledge of the ancients and Chaos Emeralds. This would mean he could be used for something other than comic releif and would make him seem like less of a retard.

Sonic and him should have a friendly rivalry, in the sense that they're quicker to start insulting each other, however, should still have a mutual respect for each other.

Now I also have some Thoughts on Sonic, but seeing as that's off-topic, it'll be spoilered.

Sonic should be the guy inbetween Tails and Knuckles. He has some understanding of technology, after all, the Tornado was his plane to begin with.

This means that in certain conversations he should be able to understand and converse with Tails about technolgy. This could lead to potential humourous situations where Knuckles is the only person not knowing what's going on.

Likewise, Sonic should also have some understanding of the Mystical, afterall he can use the Chaos Emeralds quite effectively. So again he should know what Knuckles is talking about, and should be be able to hold conversation with him aswell. This could lead to ironically humourous sitations where, for once, Tails is the only person not knowing what's going on.

So Sonic should be the quietly intelligent character with a well-rounded understanding of everything. He should be outwardly cocky, but internally aware of the dangers and possible harm that could befall his younger "brother" Tails. So he should be confident but semi-cautious.

However, he should be an absolute expert with anything Robotnik Related. He's had the most encounters with and thus the most experience in dealing with Robotnik. So whenever the situation arises, he should be the one co-ornating the assault on Robotnik's various bases.

I like him being cocky with Robotnik when he's facing Robotnik Alone, because he knows that he can handle it. He should be more cautious when Tails and other vulneratble characters like Amy are involved.

So to sum up, he's the outwardly cocky, go-lucky guy, but inwardly intelligent and well-rounded guy. Classic, "smarter than he looks" character.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on tails.

My thoughts on Knux

Now I also have some Thoughts on Sonic, but seeing as that's off-topic, it'll be spoilered.

You know whats funny? My best friend IRL has almost the exact same attitude as this version of Sonic you just mentioned: Cocky with a rather large ego, but is very smart and knows more than he seems (He's very goofy, but hes planning to go into LAW)

In any case, we already got their roles down, so how about we talk personality shall we, I posted something quite rightious in the Sega forums, check it.:

Sonic: The only character who is actually consistent with personality(At least since Secret Rings anyway), I'd say make him more like his Colors self, just dial back on the amount of jokes, there is such a thing as trying too hard.

Tails: I don't understand the hate of him being the smart guy, you guys say you want Amy to have more interest, so why can't Tails have an interest that doesn't include Sonic either? In any case, in Colors he's had more personality there in a while, and it goes beyond just being the smart guy, he's a little naive(Believes Eggman really isn't up to anything), he gets scared easily(Notice his reaction when he and Sonic found where all the Wisp being drained), and not afraid to take a few jabs at Sonic(Snarking about Sonic's dead robot talking, reminding him who invented the translator, etc.), so yeah as long he leans towards more of Colors, I'm fine with Tails.

Knuckles: Hoo Boy. One of the hardest characters to peg really. Knuckles should be more serious minded, a straight man if you will. Matter of fact I can see a good Straight Man/Wise Guy set up with him and Sonic. Just because he's serious doesn't mean he's not without his quirks however, he should be gullible(easily falling for traps, easily manipulated), untrusting(Especially towards Rouge and Eggman), and somewhat awkward around girls; ya know to show off the fact that he didn't grow up in a populated society. Also keep his hotheadedness, just never let it outweigh his levelheadedness.

Amy: HOOO BOY again. The character who without a doubt has had the sharpest decline in personality. I don't mind her chasing Sonic around(Its kinda her thing), but she needs to have more than just that. Maybe she can help find the emeralds(Or whatever macguffin, they have) and give them to Sonic. She's should be more energetic, about both Sonic and fighting against evil. But not without some flaws, she's a little too enthusiastic(She is 12 after all), tends to get jealous easily, and has a habit of glomping Sonic whenever she sees him, and has a pretty short temper.

Shadow: Sega really screw up with their characters don't they? In any case, keep him a part of G.U.N. but give him a decent reason for being there, like maybe he wants to keep an eye of them if they ever go out of line again(Repeating the Ark incident). He's less of a typical hero, actually he cares more about beating down guys he doesn't like(Good or Bad), and never follows the orders given to him(Going more in line with his Chaotic Neutral personality). Though he's not heartless, he's willing to put his life on the line for the people he likes, very protective of his friends, and willing to give out advice to those who need it. He need quirks as well too. Make him unfunny(put him in some pretty ridiculous situations, while still maintaining a straight face), something of a deadpan snarker(With some pretty dark humor).

Rouge: Honestly because she doesn't get as much screentime as the above five, its hard to peg her down. But she's even more morally ambiguous than Shadow, and should be played as such. She should care about treasure, above everything else.(Of course is prone to doing the right thing when it matters), she's not a bad person just greedy. She's a G.U.N. agent just like Shadow, but only works if the price is right, or if she feels like it. Flirts with Sonic to **** off Amy, Flirts with Tails because it messes with him, genuinely likes Knuckles, but likes to mess with him too. She does care for the well being people of however, and won't watch anyone get hurt, and does care for Shadow as much as a friend would.

So Scar, I posted what you typed on Sega Forums and they liked it, but they wanna see one for Amy as well, so can you think of a suggestion for her too? You're a pal.

So Scar, I posted what you typed on Sega Forums and they liked it, but they wanna see one for Amy as well, so can you think of a suggestion for her too? You're a pal.