Awoo.

So I think you guys are gonna like 3D

Badnik Mechanic

Earlier today a small TV store in my town was doing a 3D TV promotion, you could watch a few scenes from this years world cup or play on their playstation 3 for a period of time. Obviously they wanted to try and sell a few, but I wasn't buying today.

So I had a 20 min play on the PS3, the game they had in was Motorstorm... not my kind of game, I own the first one and played it for a bit, but the series as a whole doesn't really appeal to me. So after 20 min, these would be my thoughts...

The transition from what we have now to 3D tv is going to take a little time to get used to, watching it is fine, but playing a game is a little harder, your reactions to objects in the game is a little off, but in terms of a learning curve, I'd probably say it's the same as playing a said game for a few months, then trying to play a similar game with a totally different controll scheme. I would often collide with other racers or totally bork a turn, no clue if that was down to the fact I don't like racing games, or if I wasn't used to the 3D, it's probably a combination of both.

It's not things flying out of the screen at you. We've all got this image in our heads of 3D Gaming being bullets and bodies flying out of the screen at us at a million miles per hour, making us duck and feel like we're inside the game right? Well... motorstom isn't really like that, I'm sure that Killzone 3 will be like that, but I think that a lot of games will be in 3D, but will actually use another form of cinnematography called CinemaScope. A very basic explanation of that would be.... it basically gives the picture a sense of deph. Instead of objects coming at you or appearing closer to you, they appear to move away from you, giving a sense of 3D, but one that remains behind the screen. It was used widely during the 50's and 60's, it's also a way to make giant Imax style movie experiences. But anyway....

When I was playing Motorstorm, it reminded me more of cinemascope than it did 3D as we all picture it... this is not a bad thing by any means, it certainly gives games a new challenge and a very interesting experience. It's difficult to describe... so how would you like to see it?

This is a screenshot from Sonic Unleashed as we all see it when we play.

sonic-unleashed-20081008095524256_640w.jpg

Now look at this little trick to make a 3D image. To see it, look at the double image and cross your eyes, use the kind of approach that you would take when you look at a magic eye picture, it may take you a few attempts, but eventually a 3rd image will appear between the two, keep trying and eventually it'll come into focus and it will appear 3D. This should give you a very good idea as to how Motorstorm looked for me and how this type of 3D would look in other games like sonic. Not so much objects flying at you, but giving your games a sense of depth to them.

3dsonic.jpg

If you can't see it, try just viewing the image alone HERE without the text or the SSMB background, it should help.

I don't really know what else to say, other than it really did look and play amazing, it wasn't so much the game was coming out of the screen and was all around me, so much as I was being pulled into the game, I could look and see a distance to an object and I had to adjust how I would normally approach navigating around it. You can't play the games in exactly the same manner that you do now, you need to adjust slightly, it's difficult to explain, but you'll probably treat it like a typing learning curve for any new game that you buy.

For me, 3D gaming looks very good. It doesn't ruin the games nor does it look crap, also, if you're adament that it looks crap, you have the option on both the PS3 and the 3DS to turn it off anyway.

That said, it might end up becoming a set formula for future games, for instance racing games, or games where you follow a character from behind (sonic adventure 2 style) would probably use the same type of effect, much like the motorstorm game I played. But I think that FPS will use the old tricks like bullets and bodies flying at you. It will work, it will make you jump, if you're really getting into the game then it will have an impact on you.

Now the 3DS, whilst we've not yet seen it yet, I do have an idea as to what it might be and the technology is not that old. There is a type of 3D TV already out that does not require the use of glasses to watch, but they have a BIG flaw. The flaw being, you must be looking stright at them from the front for it to work, otherwise the image becomes blured and distorted, they used to have them in Manchester Airport all over the main terminal a year ago, so they are out and about in shops somewhere. But with a handheld, you typically do look right at the screen head on because you have to hold it close by, as apposed to sitting in a watching a giant TV. How this will work, I'm not certain, I think it might be more jumping out at you as apposed to drawing you in, purely down to my experiences a year ago at Manchester when I saw these in action. Reason why I think it's that kind of 3D image is purely down to the fact these are the only TV's I've seen that do 3D which don't require 3D specs, but... they have that big flaw, you need to look square on at them... but handhelds, not really an issue.

With regards to the glasses, the favourite put down is going to be that you'll look silly.... and it's a very poor one at that... theres no difference between wearing those and a normal pair of glasses. Not to mention, unless you intend to play videogames in shops all your life, chances are it'll be confined to your room.... so who is going to see/care. It'll just be a case of "Oh you're watching something in 3D" it really isn't a big deal at all....

However.... that said.... I was able to play the game for short periods... without the 3D specs on... not very well, but I think it would be possible with a bit of practice, simply cross your eyes and you can see the images, but it's a lot more uncomfortable than using the specs, but if you really really really hate the idea of using specs, you could train yourself not to use them... but get ready for headaches.

So 3D TV, whilst I doubt I'll be rushing out and buying one anytime soon, I think when my current TV does die, it will be a consideration in my purchase and it'll be a big consideration, it really did look good. Chances are you'll only use it for films, games and maybe sports (as me and the guy also watched a bit of the world cup on it (France V Mexico for some reason)) and it felt ok, I could imagine motor-racing looking very good on them as well as some atheletics. But I doubt you'll be turning on the 3D effect to watch neighbours or corrie.

I imagine that a number of shops have 3D TV's up and running, not the videogame stores, but some of the independent TV shops, certainly the big places like Comet will have a display model, so have a look and see if theres a PS3 ready for a demo.

Just try it.

Edited by Gnasher
  • Thumbs Up 2

This sounds very interesting. Next time I go to a store, I should see if they have a 3D TV there to see what games in 3D are like. Then I will know what the 3DS will be like.

The only reason I don't like them is the idea of having to wear glasses to watch TV... I have a hard time finding any sunglasses that fit my head (big head) and so I doubt I'll be able to easily get 3D glasses that will fit. They certainly won't come with the TV, so I'd have to fork out a stupid amount of cash just to use the thing.

The only reason I don't like them is the idea of having to wear glasses to watch TV... I have a hard time finding any sunglasses that fit my head (big head) and so I doubt I'll be able to easily get 3D glasses that will fit. They certainly won't come with the TV, so I'd have to fork out a stupid amount of cash just to use the thing.

Says the person who forgot that Nintendo is making a console with a non-glasses 3D depth screen...

EDIT: ...but then again, If it pertains to TVs then it just wouldn't make sense unless you got all the people who are watching drunk.

Edited by Squirtle

Says the person who forgot that Nintendo is making a console with a non-glasses 3D depth screen...

EDIT: ...but then again, If it pertains to TVs then it just wouldn't make sense unless you got all the people who are watching drunk.

I didn't forget... The 3DS doesn't require glasses, but it also isn't a television...

I'd probably like the idea more of it weren't for the glasses on top of glasses thing. I do like the idea of 3DS, though, which seems to use a Cinemascope kind of effect like Motorstorm is doing, minus the glasses.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

The day I have my normal glasses and on one side I can apply pressure to make sunglasses appear and the other side make them 3D glasses is the day I buy into this.

Glasses over glasses it annoying as it is and I really could care less for stuff to pop out. Just give us virtual reality already!

Can I just say, I'm really impressed with the eye-crossing trick with those Sonic Unleashed screenshots! :) Your post gets +1 from me for that!

On reading this, I thought I'd have a pop at NVidia's 3D Vision malarky, using a pair of Red/Blue glasses.

My verdict: completely and utterly pointless.

I've tried both Team Fortress 2 and Mirrors Edge so far. The only real difference I noticed with both is that there was a genuine sense of depth between GUI elements and the environment. I tried changing the depth of the 3D vision, but it had very little effect, just created some very nasty looking afterimages.

The colours are also completely fucked, which makes me wonder why would you even bother with this.

Playing TF2 is now impossible to play, as both sides look the same colour. Mirror's Edge turned from everything being white to just blergh. Horrible to look at, with none of the vibrancy it should have.

Chances are this is all down to having a pair of shitty glasses, but even so, I can't really see the point in it.

I've seen the 3D TV's on display at Best Buy and Currys PC World (now merged in my area), they're running movies/tv shows in 3D and they're amazing. I can imagine games would look even more jaw dropping, especially games properly implementing them. Motorstorm Pacific Rift is just a demo of the original game tweaked for 3D from reports I've read.

On reading this, I thought I'd have a pop at NVidia's 3D Vision malarky, using a pair of Red/Blue glasses.
Unless I'm completely mistaken, most modern applications of "true" 3D including Sony's overpriced 3DTV thingamajig are done with grey lenses as opposed to the dated red/blue glasses, so at the very least your complaints of colour diluting aren't really valid in this context. To my understanding, Sony's version is also a lot more indepth than the likely primitive method you used - I mean, think about it. Red/blue 3D can be done on any screen anywhere, so if 3DTV weren't any more advanced than it they never would've seen the need to build a completely different TV for the specific purpose of rendering it.

I'm not really defending it or anything, but honestly, I don't really think it's fair to condemn 3DTV based on old 3D methods that most people haven't used in 5-10 years in any media, let alone videogames. In fact Gnasher, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares to traditional red/blue glasses, because I'm still looking to see what advantage 3DTV has over it myself.

The Nvidia thing is actually pretty much the same effect though, afaik. The red/blue thing is just if you don't have their proprietary $300 glasses.

although, I'd hope the other glasses are a little better in the depth department, I dunno!

In fact Gnasher, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares to traditional red/blue glasses, because I'm still looking to see what advantage 3DTV has over it myself.

I don't even know if red/blue glasses are still used a lot now anyway other than free gifts from comics.

With the red/blue things that we all grew up with, the thing I remember from them is that everything had this green/redish haze around... for obvious reasons. With the new 3DTV this doesn't exist. It really depends on the environment you have your TV in.

There is a small darkening on the environment, but this doesn't get noticed so much since you'll be watching a TV that has a powerful light source, your focus will be on that.

I guess that the biggest difference between the old 3D that we grew up with and the new 3D that we've got now, theres none of this green/red haze and the 3D image is much more stable. It's been well over 10 years since I last had a pair of the very old red/green specs, but I do remember that you had to focus on one specific area or else the image would become slightly distorted, with these, there is no distortion or a a sense that there is one dominant colour over another.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is just a demo of the original game tweaked for 3D from reports I've read.

I believe that they intend to patch the game itself to make it compatible with 3D media. Of course this is completely different than games like MotorStorm Apocalypse which will actually be built in 3D.

I didn’t wait in line to get a look at MotorStorm P.R., but if the store starts demo-ing Killzone 3, then I will gladly swallow my watch and wait to see a real 3D game production (real as in built from the ground up). As we have seen in the TV market so far, watching converted 2D to 3D is no-where near as impressive as true 3D content.

.... So, does anyone know if the 3DS is the "depth" 3D, or the pop out of the screen 3D? I've heard is was both.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

The new sort of 3d uses polarised lenses, which use directional light waves to create the sense of depth. So basically what Cas said about motorstorm.

The whole "stuff coming out of the screen" is pretty much limited to cinemas anyway... You'd need a pretty huge TV to be able to feel the effects of stuff 'popping out' more than a couple of inches. I always think that 3D on a home TV seems so gimmicky, I mean I've used the two-tone glasses before and it's pretty much the same with a loss of colour - for me I think 3D is a cinema thing really, and the 3Ds maybe since you hold it right up to your face.