Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

The thing is, Sonic is basically a cartoon character. I don't think any of his voices have sounded like something that could naturally come from a human being, so sounding "real" isn't that important to me. The current voice, and, pretty much ALL of his voices fit well with both his character design and dialogue.

I can't say I agree. There are tons of characters whose voices come from them naturally, like Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse and more. Even from the current Sonic cast, there are more natural sounding voices, like Tails. I don't think the voices is bad or anything, I just think it feels sort of forced (Not the acting). White, Drummond and Griffith all felt more natural to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't say I agree. There are tons of characters whose voices come from them naturally, like Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse and more. Even from the current Sonic cast, there are more natural sounding voices, like Tails. I don't think the voices is bad or anything, I just think it feels sort of forced (Not the acting). White, Drummond and Griffith all felt more natural to me.

I'll concede that Bugs Bunny sounds natural, if only because I personally know/am related to people with the accent, but Mickey Mouse is a natural voice? I love his voice, but I wouldn't say it sounds like a normal speaking voice, even if his delivery is believable.

But the point I was trying to drive home is that Sonic is supposed to be RADICAL and BODACIOUS. He makes corny jokes and uses dumb buzzwords. If he were a real person he'd probably skateboard and eat a lot of doritos. My mind can't come up with a voice for him that does sound "natural" and I didn't consider Griffith or Ryan to be so either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't need to exaggerate how much I like him cause right away he became my favorite voice for Sonic. He has the nice blend of Ryan's tone and Jaleel White's attitude. He's two of my favorite voice actors in one. biggrin.png

Edited by sonfan1984

Sonic's voice never really felt natural because he's never had a consistent voice actor, in Japan can you really imagine anyone but Junichi's voice coming from Sonic? or any of the Japanese voice actors? They've been around for almost 15 years and have voiced the cast in every form of media since then, including Sonic X. Meanwhile over here in the states, Sonic has had far more media exposure, with three animated adaptions in addition to two animes, and obviously big time actors like Jaleel white aren't always available.

Sonic Adventure came out and we got our(Moderately good) voice actors, and over time they came into their roles, even if a switch or two had to be made. Because Sonic X aired in America 4Kids needed to use their own in house actors(Despite the fact that Drummond said he's relocate, but whatever), and around the time Deem Bristow died, Sega decided to make the(Well intentioned, but necessarily smart) decision to use the actors from X to add some consistency to the series......and then the fandom bitched, and bitched, and bitched over it. Ironically by the time everyone's used to the 4kids cast, Sega ups and changes them again this would've been smart back when the 4kids hate was at its peak.

But the new cast, compared to when 4kids took the helm, are far less hated from what I can tell; I haven't seen any stupid petitions or death threats(that I know of anyway), so that's a plus. There is no definitive Sonic voice over in the states, there have been too many changes, hopefully the new cast can stay for more than five years and we can finally have a definitive cast.

But the new cast, compared to when 4kids took the helm, are far less hated from what I can tell; I haven't seen any stupid petitions or death threats(that I know of anyway), so that's a plus.

Edited by sonfan1984

Oh yeah, and don't forget when they've said that Roger even recieved some death threats from fans as soon as they've found out he's the new voice actor.

Sonic's voice never really felt natural because he's never had a consistent voice actor, in Japan can you really imagine anyone but Junichi's voice coming from Sonic? or any of the Japanese voice actors? They've been around for almost 15 years and have voiced the cast in every form of media since then, including Sonic X. Meanwhile over here in the states, Sonic has had far more media exposure, with three animated adaptions in addition to two animes, and obviously big time actors like Jaleel white aren't always available.

Sonic Adventure came out and we got our(Moderately good) voice actors, and over time they came into their roles, even if a switch or two had to be made. Because Sonic X aired in America 4Kids needed to use their own in house actors(Despite the fact that Drummond said he's relocate, but whatever), and around the time Deem Bristow died, Sega decided to make the(Well intentioned, but necessarily smart) decision to use the actors from X to add some consistency to the series......and then the fandom bitched, and bitched, and bitched over it. Ironically by the time everyone's used to the 4kids cast, Sega ups and changes them again this would've been smart back when the 4kids hate was at its peak.

But the new cast, compared to when 4kids took the helm, are far less hated from what I can tell; I haven't seen any stupid petitions or death threats(that I know of anyway), so that's a plus. There is no definitive Sonic voice over in the states, there have been too many changes, hopefully the new cast can stay for more than five years and we can finally have a definitive cast.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well yeah, I have to dig up through all these pages to find it.

Edited by WhiteandNerdy-Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 3

lol, this is so last year though. tongue.png But I dunno, they're probably still harassing him for all I know.

Edited by sonfan1984

Personally, I instantly liked Smith as a voice actor for Sonic. Partially because as a voice actor in general, he's fantastic. He's done a great multitude of roles and he's fantastically diverse. Chris Redfield sounds nothing like Ezio who sounds nothing like Sonic who sounds nothing like Deidara who sounds Eddy Gordo and so on but it's also partially down to how quickly he adapted to the role. Griffith, for example, took about 3 or 4 years before he started to sound at all decent for Sonic. Honestly Griffith's voice overs in Sonic X and Sonic 06 were terrible.

Jaleel White was better than any other Sonic voice IMO. However, if he were to come back, he wouldn't necessarily fit because Sonic's attitude has gone from "cunning and clever" to "cocky and annoying." Oop, that sounds like Steve Urkel...Maybe it could work.

I think Smith actually does a great job as the voice for Sonic the Hedgehog. He usually tends to get into character and he makes Sonic match his usual cocky personality while also going along with what's going on at the moment.

Like in this cutscene, he's calm and cool with the situation about being faced with a giant enemy like that and isn't going too over-the-top or anything like that. At least..at "not over-the-top" as a talking blue hedgehog can get, but you know what I mean. I actually liked it and thought that it added for some comedic moments. If anything, he's really just going to get better at it throughout time. Smith is overall an amazing voice actor, playing the parts of Ezio, Sonic, and various characters throughout Regular Show, not once have I ever been able to really recognize him though, which goes to show just how great he is at becoming different people.

Honestly, if you ask me, if anything needs work it could be the writing in some occasions, but again..a talking blue hedgehog, so you really can't be too picky. In terms of Sonic's voice though, it gets a thumbs up from me.

Jaleel White was better than any other Sonic voice IMO. However, if he were to come back, he wouldn't necessarily fit because Sonic's attitude has gone from "cunning and clever" to "cocky and annoying." Oop, that sounds like Steve Urkel...Maybe it could work.

...Sonic has never been either of these in any significant way.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Sonic has never been either of these in any significant way.

I agree and disagree. I've found Sonic to be clever, though not cunning. That's too indirect for him he'd rather be a clever punk for what's in front of him.

That's retarded, people sending death threats to a guy that voices a blue hedgehog.

It's even more retarded When I heard stuff about some fans threatening to rape Cindy Robinson because of the way she voices Amy. -_-

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's even more retarded When I heard stuff about some fans threatening to rape Cindy Robinson because of the way she voices Amy. sleep.png

WHAT?!WHO THE FREEAK WOULD DO THAT?!!!That like sonic said "Is just messed up!"

It's even more retarded When I heard stuff about some fans threatening to rape Cindy Robinson because of the way she voices Amy. sleep.png

Those 'fans' needs help. I'm still warming up to Cindy Robinson but I wouldn't go so far to cause any harm on anybody. It just tells a lot about those people who make such threats like that.

Those same fans are probably the ones that like to troll every Sonic related media, hate on games without any basis for it, and throw the Sonic Cycle around everywhere like a Frisbee.

Just ignore them.

The fact that people get so worked up and manage to threaten someone else because of something as simple as their voice work on a video game character is pretty shameful. It's a stupid reason for them to get so upset over something like that and they're going to have to deal with it whether or not they like it.

As for Amy's new voice, I think it's fine myself. It..could use a little more work and all, but I suppose the cast is still getting used to their characters and all, so I'm sure that it'll all come with time.

The fact that people get so worked up and manage to threaten someone else because of something as simple as their voice work on a video game character is pretty shameful. It's a stupid reason for them to get so upset over something like that and they're going to have to deal with it whether or not they like it.

As for Amy's new voice, I think it's fine myself. It..could use a little more work and all, but I suppose the cast is still getting used to their characters and all, so I'm sure that it'll all come with time.

and then they'll throw them back into the ocean like a fish once they prove themselves and we'll get Miley cyrus to voice amy and Justin bieber to do tails and arnold schwarzenegger to do sonic ad knuckles.lol!tongue.png Oh and rebecca black is eggman! Edited by The Amazing Spiderman
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's even more retarded When I heard stuff about some fans threatening to rape Cindy Robinson because of the way she voices Amy. -_-

First time I lol'd but then I realized that it isnt funny. Its sad. Its sad that people are that stupid. I mean what the hell! Humanity.... Where are you going.

• Thumbs Up 2

What do you guys think about Charmy's new voice? I'm honest to god in love with it, it reminds me of a character from an old show I use to watch. @_@

What do you guys think about Charmy's new voice? I'm honest to god in love with it, it reminds me of a character from an old show I use to watch. @_@

Free bee, free bee, FReeee bee, WEEEE!

It's cool having a VA that makes the character annoying in an endearing way.