Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

I can't hardly tell, you sure don't act as vocal about it as Steve.

Ryan Drummond is the best voice ever. That heavenly tone is just music to my ears. Hydrocity Zone Act 2, to be precise! Jason and Roger just sound like the Wii version of the Sonic 4 soundtrack concentrated into one voice and the acting quality is just terrible. It's obvious just by reading this thread that MOST Sonic fans like Ryan best and that the ones that don't aren't true Sonic fans. Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is the best Sonic game ever, mostly due to Ryan Drummond's incredible voice acting.

And it shows. Ever since Ryan Drummond was viscously fired by the evil 4Kids, no Sonic game has ever been a million seller. It's obvious the public cares about Ryan Drummond. Al Kahn is the scum of the world and hired Jason Griffith just to spite us. Yuji Naka is no better for allowing this. I can't believe how he's treating this fanbase. Good thing he's made no money ever since they fired Ryan! Shows him! No wonder he left SEGA!

...These are all actual things people said on Save Sonic before Spax left and took most of the crazy people with him. Except the Hydrocity/Sonic 4 music part and the part about Roger because this was all before then. But you get the point. Oh and Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is what my real life friends all think the game is called for whatever reason.

Edited by XD375

...These are all actual things people said on Save Sonic before Spax left and took most of the crazy people with him. Except the Hydrocity/Sonic 4 music part and the part about Roger because this was all before then. But you get the point. Oh and Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is what my real life friends all think the game is called for whatever reason.

You mean that site is still up??

The few reasonable people (see: the ones who didn't talk about it here and on other forums) that were there decided to stay and just use it as a general community after the Brawl thing ended, but it died down with Facebook being an easier way to keep in touch.

Some of those Jason fans were insane... I still remember when Ryan had a video of his new baby up and one of those people from the pro-Jason forum posted a comment saying they hoped the baby died.

I originally joined Save Sonic just because Fantasy was my best friend and I wanted to support her and a lot of the members were quite lovely as Steve said... Fantasy, Steve, Riana, TailsFan92, Hero of Legend, clessalvein, True Blue, ChaosVII... Oh yeah, and AquaSlash. I still talk to a few of these guys, but are any of you hiding here under different names? ;D

Anyway, I was helping Fantasy with the tech work and I decided to stay for the people moreso than the cause itself, which didn't interest me too much at first, until I called Nintendo for the heck of it and the dude said they were actually trying to work something out. We generally kept in contact with Ninty and they told us they got over a thousand calls and over two thousand emails - and then it was very briefly featured in the mailbag section of a Nintendo Power issue. And then some admin named Spax went berserk and said he was gonna track down and kill Fantasy and her friends or something because she cared too much about Ryan and not the gameplay. This same guy had once suggested suicide to me once when I said Jason wasn't even that bad... It was crazy. But at that point it was just too dang entertaining to leave (some of Hogfather's reactions to the ones that posted here were hilarious and it was always fun to watch Spax's daily blowup), and I still had friends there too.

After that fiasco Spax took most of the lunatics away and we were just a cool little community that talked about Sonic in general; when Roger was revealed most people accepted him. Everyone was cool. Except that one girl who insisted characters from Wizards of Waverly Place was what would save the series for the teenage audience.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with Steve (I'll give you your rep tomorrow when my available reps recharge :P), but I do really like Roger too.

So yeah. There's my horror story.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sega wanted cheaper and more covienient VAs from New York (because 4kids) while Drummond lived in California, at least that's how I recall.

Edited by The Noodle

My Opinion:

I feel like Roger forces his voice too much, like he's trying too hard or being too loud or something. Ryan's voice sounded good and natural 80% of the time, and at least Griffith was OK in Unleashed.

To me, Ryan's the best, but hey, what are you gonna do? I don't think we'll be getting him back, that part of his life is over, I guess.

But Roger, for the most part, I don't mind, even though he's not "Sonicy" enough to me, I can still accept that he's the new voice of Sonic.

Sonic's voice will likely always be a controversial topic, because people's preferences are varied. If the voice gets replaced again, people will probably rant about getting Roger back. Everyone has their own preference, so there's really no use arguing about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Noodle, we're not talking about the 2003-2005 recast. For those who are new, I'm the guy who originally started spreading word of the recast in June (I got a lot of downvotes for it, but it was totally worth it, haha). I leaked some info in July, and I showed everyone what they sounded like earlier in this very thread. I have a few sources at SEGA that gave me some info in early 2010 - a recast that took place in 2009, Sonic Colours, and Sonic Generations. I didn't want to spoil the surprises of the two games, but I gladly shared the voice actor stuff to the extent that I was allowed. I could pretty much only use "proof" I got from other sources, so I contacted a few 4Kids actors and asked. A couple gave me some info, but they also pretty much asked me not to tell anyone what they told me. I respected their wishes. Jason didn't ask this of me, so I went wild.

Since it's already out, I'll say Generations has actually changed a bit since early 2010.

Steve, I can tell you the same SEGA-safe and fan-safe theory I've been telling you this whole time: SEGA of Japan or Sammy (it isn't clear but it looks like it was Sammy) didn't wanna spend money on a union actor such as Ryan.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing that bothers me about Roger is the fact that it doesn't sound like he has settled on an exact tone for Sonic yet.

I think he sounded a lot more smooth and natural in Colors, but in Free Riders he had a Griffith-ish thing going on, not sure. And in Generations...I didn't like the way he did it in Generations. Sure he had maybe the right tone for a Sonic voice, but because of the change in tone it sounds really forced.

And then there is the fact both Ryan and Jason had the chance to act out Sonic in more story driven games. So we got to here Sonic during stressful situations, or showing strong emotions. Something we can't totally do with Roger because the stories of the games are pretty light now.

But overall, I think all 3 voices are good in their own right.

I'll admit, I stopped paying attention to Sonic's English voice the moment I could change the VO to whatever random European language strikes my fancy. Even better would be if they were to translate the script into Japanese and then back into English using a machine translator.

Since it's already out, I'll say Generations has actually changed a bit since early 2010.

This... intrigues me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like Roger... I think he's alright, and I like the new edge he brings to the series.

However, he's not the voice I think of when I think: Sonic. Neither is Ryan. Ryan sounded like a bit to much of jerk at times (Mainly due to the hot VA booths), and he's a bit too nasally.

It's Jason Griffin I often find myself thinking of.

Why? Well, there's the obvious factor that he's been in the largest majority of the Sonic media. And he's had the most practice.

Maybe if they gave Roger more lines, more of a chance to grow into the voice... Or alternatively, he could just walk around the house saying random things in Sonic's voice, like "I'm going to get some Milk, and Then... I'll do my laundry..."

I think he needs do more games, and until he can make his voice "stick" (The problem being that whenever the actors finally get the voice perfected, SEGA decide to recast EVERYONE).

Oh, and don't re-tread previous actors lines. It's just humiliating and degrading to him. Honestly, whenever I hear sonic in M&SLOG2012, I always cringe. It's just... degrading having him say exactlly what Griffin said, only because he's less fitted in, he sounds... wrong.

Oh, and don't re-tread previous actors lines. It's just humiliating and degrading to him. Honestly, whenever I hear sonic in M&SLOG2012, I always cringe. It's just... degrading having him say exactlly what Griffin said, only because he's less fitted in, he sounds... wrong.

All of the lines that Roger re-recorded from Jason sound a million times better. Notably "It's all about speed" from M&S and "Alright! Bright it on" in the Riders games. That last one especially has so much more emotion and style than Jason's version, where it sounded like he was just reading it off the paper. Granted it was from one of Jason's earlier games, it should have been easy enough to get an idea of the suitable tone.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of the lines that Roger re-recorded from Jason sound a million times better.

I guess this must be a matter of personal choice, because to me they sound terrible. Still, each to their own I guess.

Let's not blow this whole thing and take over the forum with arguements, Please? There's enough of this allready.

I didn't realize this before, but I just saw this discussion on Spindash.de.. Now that SEGA Europe is mostly dead, what's going to happen to all the dubs besides English and Japanese? I seriously hope they stick around, as I really liked the German dub.

I think Roger is pretty good, but I do think his voice needs to warm up a bit as Sonic. He is a great VA, but even I notice the change of tone between Colours and Generations. If SEGA would just give Sonic a few more cutscenes and lines, he could show his potential...

I like Mistah Smith more than any other VA Sonic's had, by far.

But Mike Pollock needs to do Doc forever. Seriously.

I like Roger's voice because I helps me deal with the fact that my own Sonic voice was dogged for being too deep. Now with Roger's, I don't feel that is much of an issue anymore....

Pollock = Eggman forever.

• 3 months later...

Some of those Jason fans were insane... I still remember when Ryan had a video of his new baby up and one of those people from the pro-Jason forum posted a comment saying they hoped the baby died.

I originally joined Save Sonic just because Fantasy was my best friend and I wanted to support her and a lot of the members were quite lovely as Steve said... Fantasy, Steve, Riana, TailsFan92, Hero of Legend, clessalvein, True Blue, ChaosVII... Oh yeah, and AquaSlash. I still talk to a few of these guys, but are any of you hiding here under different names? ;D

Anyway, I was helping Fantasy with the tech work and I decided to stay for the people moreso than the cause itself, which didn't interest me too much at first, until I called Nintendo for the heck of it and the dude said they were actually trying to work something out. We generally kept in contact with Ninty and they told us they got over a thousand calls and over two thousand emails - and then it was very briefly featured in the mailbag section of a Nintendo Power issue. And then some admin named Spax went berserk and said he was gonna track down and kill Fantasy and her friends or something because she cared too much about Ryan and not the gameplay. This same guy had once suggested suicide to me once when I said Jason wasn't even that bad... It was crazy. But at that point it was just too dang entertaining to leave (some of Hogfather's reactions to the ones that posted here were hilarious and it was always fun to watch Spax's daily blowup), and I still had friends there too.

After that fiasco Spax took most of the lunatics away and we were just a cool little community that talked about Sonic in general; when Roger was revealed most people accepted him. Everyone was cool. Except that one girl who insisted characters from Wizards of Waverly Place was what would save the series for the teenage audience.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with Steve (I'll give you your rep tomorrow when my available reps recharge tongue.png), but I do really like Roger too.

So yeah. There's my horror story.

I just decided to come out of lurking to just say:

*hugs* smile.png

Hope all is well, and thanks for the name drop, people remember me! :D

Edited by Hero of Legend
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Might as well post this here.

Roger Craig Smith has just been announced as Batman in the new Batman game.Having seen the new trailer.... he doesn't speak in it... but does 'grunt' and... I can hear a bit of sonic =p

• Thumbs Up 4

Might as well post this here.

Roger Craig Smith has just been announced as Batman in the new Batman game.Having seen the new trailer.... he doesn't speak in it... but does 'grunt' and... I can hear a bit of sonic =p

Do you have a source for this?