Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Listening to those clips, not all of them sound bad at all. Especially "Let's go". That actually sounds quite good you know. It's just that he's talking talking liiiiiiiiiike thiiiiiiiiiiis on evvvvvvvery siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingle woooooooooooooooord (which is most likely cause of direction). If there's one things that really helped Griffith to make a good Sonic it's that he could sound quite powerful sometimes. Consoles will do this no doubt too, and hopefully won't be so doofy.

EDIT: Emphasizing, "not all of them". Some sound like absolute shit.

Edited by Blue Blood

How dare they take my audio and shove it in a shit picture vid that does nothing. *rage... pulls a muscle* ... (yeah I'm messing about)

... well anyway.

Who would like to see some of my favourite reactions to the news that Roger Craig Smith is the new Sonic VA?

All of these are real coments left on my youtube video... and remember, this originally was my video just to say "Woo I went to Alton Towers and saw Sonic!" The voice samples I just added because I thought people would like to hear them all, never did it cross my mind that this was the new VA... so anyway.

If you would like to know how I'm reading this out... click on this link and skip to 0:15

Innnnnnn 1: Sonicfan1984: I think Roger thinks that this is a joke. Cause in the email he said  'I'll be doing everything way over the top and deep.' Doesn't the guy realise that 'over the top' is a negative term?It's still Sonic, why does his voice have to change so drastically? I wouldn't mind a bit of a change, I was expecting something different anyway, but this...

I say: Oh really! You have an email? Could we see it?

Innnnnn 2: Sonic4K6: Sonic's new voice is horrible.

Innnnnn 3: xXBlackHeartShadowXx I hate Sonics new voice. Why isn't Jason Griffth continuing? =(

Innnnnn 4: quittaboi He sounds like... Michelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('00). That's NOT a good thing. D=

And Bullys special prize! cococollazo if really is sonic's voice, the world is coming to an end. lol im sorry but that voice simply does not fit him.

I say: Repent! For the VA has been changed!

Edited by Gnasher
  • Thumbs Up 4

Can't say it's much of an improvement. I was actually starting to like Griffith, but then there you are. It just seems to me like it'll just be annoying for the average person, I mean we're all big fans here, but someone who just listens in for the first time might find it annoying. And Sonic doesn't need anymore hate; it's supposed to be his come-back.

Let's just hope he's a bit better in Colours. I imagine he was told to be very over the top in the theme-park scenario.

I just can't wait to hear Amy and Rouge's new voices. =P If they do make a come-back.

Well, after listening to that, I must say...

IF HE SOUNDS LIKE THAT IN THE NEXT GAME I'M GOING TO BE COMPLAINING AND ASKING FOR GRIFFITH OR DRUMMOND BACK!

That's simply horrible and sounds NOTHING like how Sonic should sound. Hell, I'd take Jaleel White over that, and I hate White's voice.

Either way, I don't think he'll sound like that in-game... but I'd be pissed if he does.

Hm...maybe it was a mistake in asking Roger about Alton Towers. Either way, I won't pass judgment till Colors comes out.

Edited by Ryusuke

So, I take a short break from the internet for the weekend and come back to find out that Sonic's voice is now "CONSOLEZ!!!11!!"...

...Great.[/sarcasm] Ah well, he didn't sound too bad in that ASR commercial, but he still sounded like he was just doing a Jason Griffth impression. I'm just gonna wait and hope that his voice is better (and not as deep as his Alton voice) in the games.

Edited by gamerguy21

I'm not liking the way the new voice sounds.... :/

according to those clips....yeah....he sounds like he is trying.

Sounds better then that hack Jason. Still not as good as Ryan.

Nearly a week ago you said almost the exact same thing word for word... Makes you wonder how many people actually do care and how many are just moaning because that's all they do doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Incidentally, I pitched up the samples by a semi tone to test out Distant J's note there. It makes the clips sound identical in tone to the advert, which still sounds like some kind of Griffith impersonation.

Jeez, November can't get here soon enough. No I gotta deal with 4 months of speculation X_X

Listening to those clips, not all of them sound bad at all. Especially "Let's go". That actually sounds quite good you know. It's just that he's talking talking liiiiiiiiiike thiiiiiiiiiiis on evvvvvvvery siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingle woooooooooooooooord (which is most likely cause of direction). If there's one things that really helped Griffith to make a good Sonic it's that he could sound quite powerful sometimes. Consoles will do this no doubt too, and hopefully won't be so doofy.

EDIT: Emphasizing, "not all of them". Some sound like absolute shit.

I've said before that Jason actually told me a while back that the "Let's go!" was a stock clip he recorded a long time ago.

Lemme get another one of my oh-so-beloved Facebook screengrabs:

6gwh8i.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Che..che..CHECK OWT MY SIGNATURE lol I had to do it and yeah I know it sucks but it will do :P awesome motivational but needs moar Sawnik in the image :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, this is totally becoming a meme! XD And I <3 it. That weird slooooow tone he does in the Sonic Room is priceless.

I want to hear the rest of the new cast! I wonder who is voicing Knuxie~

I've said before that Jason actually told me a while back that the "Let's go!" was a stock clip he recorded a long time ago.

Now that's just plain weird. Why would anyone do that? Surely they'd want to just use the new guy all the time now. Although I did think it sounded very different from the rest of it.

This is turning into yet another dramatic escapade, like everything seems to in the Sonic Fandom.

Lemme get another one of my oh-so-beloved Facebook screengrabs:

Picture of Facebook

The "let's go" kind of blends pretty well with rogers smith's voice. Maybe it's that he does it so similair that Jason thinks it's his own voice?

A heads up since I know a lot of people weren't following some of the other roles he was in to release, his voices change a lot through development. Check out Chris Redfield's voice in the early trailers compared to the final release, it actually changes fairly much with a better end result.

As I will stick by wait to hear him in-game before judgment is made. If it sounds iffy then we panic but for his range this is a different task so we'll see how he does but practice makes perfect and voicing in a game is quite different than voicing in adverts or "CHECK OUT THE CONSOLES WOOOOAAAHHH" (which btw I don't think anyone can say that and sound good) but it's bound to happen I know.

Why is it we've only ever had one Sonic actor in the games who gave Sonic a unique voice? That being Ryan by the way.

Jason tried to sound like Ryan and now Roger is trying to sound like Jason. Why can't someone come along and give their own spin on how Sonic should sound? I remember the first voice on Roger's demo reel, with a tiny bit of tweaking that would've been a perfect Sonic if you ask me, FAR better than what we've heard so far.

Sit the actor down with the games, comics, cartoons and other media. Let them delve into the Sonic world and learn all about the character and then send them away to develop their voice interpretation, if SEGA have developed their character well and chosen a good actor you'll be almost guaranteed a suitable voice every time.

EDIT: Just broke my negative rep virginity.

Edited by ENVY16
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Why is it we've only ever had one Sonic actor in the games who gave Sonic a unique voice? That being Ryan by the way.

Jason tried to sound like Ryan and now Roger is trying to sound like Jason. Why can't someone come along and give their own spin on how Sonic should sound? I remember the first voice on Roger's demo reel, with a tiny bit of tweaking that would've been a perfect Sonic if you ask me, FAR better than what we've heard so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchYZ_YWYg4.... trying to sound like

Maybe he sounds like Ryan to SOME people, but TRYING to sound like Ryan?

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

urkel.jpg

Quoted for great truth!

Although I do agree with you, ENVY, that the current VAs do seem to be trying too hard to sound alike (and I fixed your neg rep). They may not sound identical, but the exact same generic hero who sounds nothing like a teen and it trying too hard to be cool vibe is there =P It remains to be seen if Roger will continue in that vein, but I'm not incredibly hopeful. I never cared for Ryan or Jason, so I have no need to defend their honour, but... VAs are much better in my opinion when they take a voice and make it their own.

I still cringe HORRIBLY when I listen to the new cast of the dubbed Pokémon TV show after the previous (4-Kids) cast lost their roles. They tried SO hard to sound the same and it SUCKED.

• Thumbs Up 1

The slow tone of voice is because that sound has been lowered in frequency.

It's clearly the voice he did in this video, slowed down a LOT.

Edited by DistantJ

Here, I've altered the sound pitch a little to sound more like his natural voice, in the speed it'd have been recorded in, this is how it should sound:

http://rapidshare.com/files/409394468/Thingy.mp3.html

It's still a little deeper than it should be, but it's the closest I could get with the software I'm currently using (no music making these days folks!).

Edited by DistantJ

Still sounds like he's trying too hard.

Lol, this is totally becoming a meme! XD And I <3 it. That weird slooooow tone he does in the Sonic Room is priceless.

whoa.jpg

Not anymore... now it's on a shirt.

• Thumbs Up 1