Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

So then, hypothetically since it's now impossible to change the focus given everything thats been going on lately/since last night.... Thursday comes and the blognik has the following headline

"Say hello to your new voice actors"

Are we going to care? Are we going to do what many did when Ryan was replaced? Throw a wobbly and cry, or are we just going to shrug and say "Oh well" like many people should be doing even now?

Is it really that big a deal? VA's come and go, so is this really a big deal if indeed it's true?

Well anyway, thats our top 10 possible franchise changing news?

New VA's 7 / 2

Sonic 2011 game 5 / 1

New Sonic development team 11 / 2

Eggman name change 7 / 1

Sonic movie 11 / 1

New cartoon 12 / 1

Prequel game 16/ 1

1970s trousers mode ASR patch 22 / 1

Nigel Dobbyn announces new Sonic the Comic 28 / 1

Place bets now!

Edited by Gnasher

I wouldn't want them to completely switch VA's around, honestly. Especially with the prior VA shift a few years ago.

I don't want a VA shift to become a recurring situation, except in the case where, say, a young actor plays a young character and the actor grows up faster (such as the case with Tails before).

If there is an actor switch, though, and only a couple of them change, that should be fine.

Is it really that big a deal? VA's come and go, so is this really a big deal if indeed it's true?

I've never aligned myself with this type of thinking, especially since the Sonic series and games in general have become more story-oriented over time. I don't see what's wrong with attaching yourself to a particular voice actor anymore than I see what would be wrong with attaching yourself to a particular live-action actor, or a particular musician, or a particular athelete, or a particular artist/art style, and then being upset if people in any of these careers are replaced, leave, or die.

In the case of acting, those who are lucky enough to land characters that they stick or become synonymous with develop that character in their own particular ways because every actor is unique; For those who take their jobs seriously, the character should ideally become an extension of them, and the fans pick up on this. A change of voice actor can then serve, in its own way, as a change of a part of that character's personality inherent in their natural tones, speech patterns, and emoting.

If voice actors were really as disposable as many in the Sonic fanbase treat them, companies wouldn't hire replacements that match the previous actor as best as possible, Mel Blanc's and Wayne Allwine's deaths wouldn't have been in the news, people wouldn't have bitched over the rumors of a change in cast for Futurama, and Japan wouldn't have bothered setting the precedent of a voice-acting industry that is as respected, noteworthy, and serious as that of its live-action industry.

Now with all of that said, I'm not defending any over-the-top behavior that Ryan diehards did or Griffith diehards may do in the future. But at the same time, it's kind of sad to see that the reaction to this behavior has been the near-complete devaluation of the hard-working people that help bring these characters to life. =/

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone have any idea who this guy is?

Rest of the forum: No.

Ok moving on then.

What's with the rude and arrogant attitude towards me

Edited by Jaouad

Ok, I've seen the video with the Alton Towers Sonic voice...it sounds like...he sounds like Michelangelo from the TMNT (the 90s one). But, yeah, a recast at this point would be kind of unnecessary.

What's with the arrogant attitude towards me

It's not you I'm arrogant towards it's your remarks regarding Jason as a whole. Anyone who said that would get a similar reaction from me and I've got a feeling a great many others would also have a thing or two to say, hell you even said in your post bring it on.... but you were expecting the start of a VA argument right. Sorry not biting that bait, already full up on it from when the Sonic Riders trailer came out.

Don't get me wrong I don't valiantly defend him to the death like some people, but I certainly don't slag him off at every given opportunity, it wasn't very long ago that we had that Save Sonic bunch of loonies running around everytime there was a sniff of Sonic having a voice in the next game going ape at every given moment, trying to drum up anti Sonic VA garbage. I for one grew sick of it then, and you can bet I'm sick of it now.

So when you come around saying "Oh he's not a professional actor" when he so blatently is and "Sonic has lost all appeal since Sonic Adventure" yadda yadda yadda, it's an argument/campaign/song that I've grown extremely tired of hearing and have little time to entertain or even reply to this kind of crap which I'm amazed is still being brought up when it comes to Jasons standing as both an actor and a professional. Just leave him the fuck alone and let him get on with it.

Anyone else here feel the same?

--------------------------

If there is to be a VA change, I fear that we'll see the old Ryan Vs Jason Vs ****** argument come back again, and much like the hysteria that we got back then.... Thor speaks on my behalf.

Edited by Gnasher
  • Thumbs Up 5

Don't really care for the Ryan/Jason wankery but I do think the English voice needs its Kanemaru. That guy could be Griffith and I wouldn't mind. I didn't think he was great in '06, but I realize it had hella awkward dialogue anyways. I've really liked his stuff since that game though, and it's been four whole years.

It'd be disappointing to let him go when we as fans are comfortable, and the actor himself has risen to be great in the role. So I hope it's a movie, starring Jason.

I'm just putting my thoughts bro. Arguing wasn't the purpose of my previous post.

Ontopic:

Jason may have been with sonic for a long time but he never really made me like sonic as a character. Sonic should have a sense of humor and jason doesn't portray that well. He doesn't make me laugh or make me think, wow sonic is such an awesome character.

It can go both ways though so if this speculating is true we should just hope that the new VA is better and not worse

Edited by Jaouad

I'm kinda 'meh' about Sonic's voice, as my personal opinion is that both Jason and Ryan were too "generic hero in his 20s". I have a feeling that if he gets a new VA, it'll be the same type of voice anyway, so what can ya do? I'm not bothered really, doesn't ruin my gameplay experience or anything.

If the whole (or majority) of cast is replaced, I hope Tails gets a boy actor again. Sure, they need replacing every few years, but it's painfully obvious (and grating) when a woman is doing a young male voice =P

But basically, this isn't 'franchise changing' news to me, and if this IS the news, I'm just gonna bunker down until all the irational dramus are over x.o

Hmm... so a new Sonic voice actor is a genuine possibility, it seems? :huh:

If that is the news, then that will be a bit disappointing in my opinion. Yes, there's been a huge load of dislike for Jason when he first started out but nearly everyone - whether they still like him or not - can agree that he's improved over time. I don't think I could imagine Sonic without Jason's voice at the moment, nor Shadow nor Jet.

If I had to pick individual voice actors to be changed, Jason would not currently be one of them. The likes of Tails, Amy and Cream are all just as (if not more) "annoying" as Jason's Sonic has been lately.

Personally I hope we're all falling for a red herring. I want this "franchise changing" news to be something positive. I'm particularly liking the suggestion of a 20th anniversary CG movie starring Jason. Would be a nice change of direction for this discussion, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

They better at least inculde some recycled aspects from the SatAM/Archie continuity. StC was popular, but will SEGA really be able to listen to a comic that's now created by fans who are also awesome artists (I'm looking at you, SP!)?

And no, I don't think a voice-actor shift is really going to happen. FRANCHISE-CHANGING. Unless there's some sort of Moorcock-style event that brings everyone together. :D

Shadow the Hedgehog 2 and a Shadow spin-off series confirmed?

I think this is too little to go by for the now but we'll see next Thursday.

I still think we are overhyping air, didn't AAUK said already that the whole "franchise changing" thing was just an exaggeration?

I did say “franchise changing” kind of all overdramatically – Its not THAT big, though it does alter some things… you’ll just have to see what I mean. Incidentally those who’ve so far guessed are all wrong. “Sonic 4 is delayed” peeps included.

This is just "something to look foward to".

Edited by gato

Over at SEGAbits, one of our fine members says he knows what is being changed, but does not know that it is being changed to.

He also nixed the character design change.

The key is that something is being CHANGED. Not ADDED. So a movie is out. My guess is VA change, which is no biggie for me as the only VA who really talks in the games is Mike and he is still around (up to colors at least).

Over at SEGAbits, one of our fine members says he knows what is being changed, but does not know that it is being changed to.

He also nixed the character design change.

The key is that something is being CHANGED. Not ADDED. So a movie is out. My guess is VA change, which is no biggie for me as the only VA who really talks in the games is Mike and he is still around (up to colors at least).

We went through this earlier in the topic, a guy with sources regarding Sonic's voice actor changing has been in contact with me and Gnasher. Evidence and info was given to me last night so I could tell you all what he told Gnasher a few weeks back was true and it's a doozy, we think this may be Thursdays news but we've nothing that proves it is this news. Me and Dread have been talking, we're enquiring with the source if they mind us putting out a report later today with the info given but of course keeping the piece of evidence and his item hidden as the source has requested. I'm sure Sharky has seen the same piece of evidence I have and he's right, if this is Thursdays news alot of the fans may rage over it.

To me, Jaleel White was always the true Sonic VA. After that is was just wannabes ;)

Naw, but seriously, if it IS a Sonic VA change I could really care less. The current games have become less about story and more about gameplay. Gameplay wise, Sonic has said little aside from small reaction noises. Griffith started out doing a load of work via the cartoons and plot heavy '06, but since then he probably has little to do. I could understand him leaving on his own accord or SEGA replacing him due to high salary versus low workload.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like what shadz said, he knows more about it than I do, like this evidence that I've not seen yet.

But that said my old noodle is quite good too, behind this mug there is a brain working, so I'm around 90% sure what the news is (if indeed whats been passed around is true). And... well...

Is it a big deal? Well it kinda depends on your view on it really for me, whilst the change is going to be a bit of a wow moment, it won't give me sleepless nights. But for others, well... like I say, it depends on how much you can let slide. For instance, I don't particually get involved with fuss regarding stuff in Sonic 4, I almost never post there because it makes me sad, mad and depressed most of the time. I just let it wash and then play the game then make my mind up.

With this piece of news.... well... I'll be the guy selling the shit storm macks and making the money as apposed to getting too heavilly involved with whats going down.

Tails dies!

I find that "Alton" sounds pretty good in the ASR ad minus when he said "Sonic", I heard Jason syndrome. :P

But yikes at the actual Alton Towers lines, really bad, but pretty good in the ad, strange.

I've really gotten used to Jason, but he still have that up-down tone, and minus "Sonic", Alton lacks that in the ad.

Maybe it's someone else entirely.

Shad, is it possible as you seem to know that it could be a new voice for Sonic after all, but is it Alton doing it, or someone else entirely?

Edit: Actually, now that I've thought about it more, I feel Alton actually has that "youthful", energetic quality that Jason doesn't really have.

Alton has that voice that you can imagine him going "Yeah DUDE!" sorta thing, like Matt Hill (Finn from Storm Hawks, Kero from Cardcaptors, Prince Pyros from Shadow Raiders, among others).

Just kill any up-down tome and I think he'd work!

Edited by Hero of Legend

A lot of you should understand that sonic's VA is one of the reasons why sonic doesn't apeal to let's say kids above the 18.

Look at cartoons like spongebob, Look at the older sonic cartoons. Jaleel white's version of sonic had a strange voice but the way he portrayed sonic's character was excellent. People from all ages could enjoy sonic because Jaleel made sonic a likable character.

Or even the SOnic Ova, whoever did his voice. If sonic ova would be remade and had jason as sonic's voice the whole movie would become dull for me.

Both Drummond and Griffith didn't do a very well job. That is why I just hope for the best so the franchise can evolve.

Edited by Jaouad

Shad, is it possible as you seem to know that it could be a new voice for Sonic after all, but is it Alton doing it, or someone else entirely?

Dreadknux and me are waiting for a reply from the source to give us the go ahead with the article we want to put out, we'll reveal what info we can then. As soon as we get a pm back we'll put our article out if it's given the go ahead of course, hopefully the source will be around again tonight like they were last night.

I say, all this speculation and suspense is very exciting.

Not necessarily in a positive way, mind.

The source has just been in touch and has given us the go ahead aswell as allowing Dreadknux to see the evidence so expect an article from him when he's next on.

The source has just been in touch and has given us the go ahead aswell as allowing Dreadknux to see the evidence so expect an article from him when he's next on.

Time to prepare for the inevitable oncoming shitstorm.

*opens umbrella*

:P

I find that "Alton" sounds pretty good in the ASR ad minus when he said "Sonic", I heard Jason syndrome. :P

But yikes at the actual Alton Towers lines, really bad, but pretty good in the ad, strange.

The Alton guy is not my cup of tea at all.... however, as one of the few people here who have actually been in the Sonic room and had the pleasure of him talking to you on a daily basis, you get used to it. You really do. It's quite shocking at first because it's such a departure from what you know. When I first went into that room and I heard it I did think "What was that" especially when he goes "WHOOOOOOOAAA!" But after a while it does work a bit. Both Ryan and Jason got better with age, chances are the next guy (Mr Alton or not) will also get better with age.

A lot of you should understand that sonic's VA is one of the reasons why sonic doesn't apeal to let's say kids above the 18.

Look at cartoons like spongebob, Look at the older sonic cartoons. Jaleel white's version of sonic had a strange voice but the way he portrayed sonic's character was excellent. People from all ages could enjoy sonic because Jaleel made sonic a likable character.

Oh come on.

Who honestly dismisses a game because they don't like the voice. "Why I see that Red Faction 4 is on the way, my my that looks exciting, oh the voice actor... Oh dear no sorry won't buy it" Also since when are 18 year olds considered kids? I don't think many 18 year olds are honestly that fickle when it comes to a voice actor putting them off buying a game.

I say, all this speculation and suspense is very exciting.

Not necessarily in a positive way, mind.

*Puts on a Russian voice*

You want shit-storm mac? Shit-storm mac 20 Ruble! 20 Ruble shit-storm mac!

• Thumbs Up 3

Or even the SOnic Ova, whoever did his voice. If sonic ova would be remade and had jason as sonic's voice the whole movie would become dull for me.

Both griffith and Jason didn't do a very well job. That is why I just hope for the best so the franchise can evolve.

But that's just your opinion tho'.

I like Jaleel White, I really do, but I don't think he's good for anything outside of a cartoon Sonic voice (or anything outside of the time period he portrayed Sonic for that matter). The games (which I think deserve to be taken a little more seriously) don't need someone like Jaleel White, because I think it'd just be fucking weird. Sorry.

You're trying to make a point that Sonic isn't a character that people of all ages can enjoy nowadays because of Drummond and Griffith's voices (lol) when that's genuinely absurd. Sonic the Hedgehog still appeals to people of all ages even now, so I honestly have no idea what the hell you're trying to get from saying that.

I turned 19 years old a few months ago and I fucking love me some Sonic the Hedgehog. I got hats, t-shirts, plushies, keychains, a hoodie, just got a Sonic chain wallet a few days ago, and I still roll up to my college course classes with my shit on thinking..

"I am the coolest motherfucker ever."

The Sonic OVA voice? That dude was laughably bad, if you ask me. A ton of people could have done a better job. Griffith included. Regardless, I still love the OVA to pieces. Also what the hell is this 'hope for the best so the franchise can evolve' nonsense? Do you honestly think that changing to what you personally think is a better voice actor for fucking Sonic the Hedgehog somehow ties into evolving the franchise? Hahaha, give me a break.

Sounds to me like you take Sonic VAs a little too seriously and like Jaleel White a little too much. I think most people were perfectly fine with Drummond back then and are perfectly fine with Griffith right now. It'd kinda be a shame to see him go after so many years.

• Thumbs Up 3