Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

It's just personal preference for me. Like... I still can't stand the new voice for Vector (or his new characterization), but it's not worth making crazy E-petitions or rant videos on youtube, like some anti-Griffith folks did.

So why act as if people are making a big deal out of things?

Because of Hunter's massive post reviewing them all.

Well, it is a voice actor topic. :P

I'm still not sure what to think of the new VAs, though I'm just not very analytical about this stuff. I guess they're okay, but not super impressive or anything either. I bet they get better with later games though. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

While I don't really like Roger's Sonic voice, I'll admit he's decent. The only voices in the new cast that make me cringe are Amy and Shadow. Eh, I just prefer the Japanese cast. Jun'ichi Kanemaru ftw!

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

"Itzz All about Speeeed! >.<" hahaha, that line actually made me laugh. The way he says it makes it so bad, its good. ^_^

Well, since people were asking me for an explanation in my status about what the hell I was talking about, here you go.

It just feels like, when it all adds up with these Voice Actors, SEGA's efforts are in vain. They have to deal with fans used to the old voices so much to the point of liking them, fans that would rather have the characters mute, or people who just plain hate the voices in general. And as shown throughout the years, SEGA really care too fucking much. Such as being to play as Sonic and Weresonic (Unleashed) Sonic with Crayola Powers (Colors) And Sonic and 90's Sonic. (Generations)

This 'Sola Sonica' started when the abundance of characters became too much, and critics and fans wanted them done away with. SEGA complied, and we got a slew of Sonic only games with some appearances of the other characters. But if the new game, "Sonic Dimensions" rings true to what the information we got, I'm afraid SEGA need to put their foot down. They making multiple Sonic's in order for extra characters to not have a playable appearance. That sounds a little desperate if you ask me. And while it sounds like a game I'd love the hell out of, I'd prefer those multiple Sonics be, well, characters that aren't Sonic.

The Voice Actors have only been in 4 games and they've already been complained about, not that it took any longer 6 years ago, that shit was even worse. It's pretty shocking to see people dislike the voices so much, I mean, they are much better than what we've got before. The 4kids cast had a bumpy ride, yet only a teaspoon of them made it through. Soon we get the New cast, and things get a little interesting, they were a Love/Hate thing, and still are.

This is what my fears come from, SEGA seems to listen to the unreasonable fans that have the "Less is MOAR" mentality.

Generations had a borderline pathetic story with barely anything interesting me into the plot except saving the characters, turning into Super Sonic, and the opening scene. The ending would have been nice if I could relive the huge adventure I had beforehand in more than 5 seconds.

And yet, people still complained about the story, being 'Confusing' or hard to follow. Are these people that fucking slow, or are they just that dense?

And the voice actors weren't liked much, either. Even in positive reviews, the VA's were either brushed off or just got plain insulted, and the characters were given the "Shitty Friends" Card in most of the reviews as well.

My fear is, SEGA might truly get rid of the voices, the story, and the other characters altogether, and if they did, I dunno how I could enjoy the Sonic Games anymore. The gameplay might be the most important thing, but everything else linked to it in a Video Game is what makes it home. SEGA's given in to complaints and stupid criticism before, I'm just a bit worried they'll just notch everything down and make the games over-simplified.

Just a thought I had.

• Thumbs Up 9

Well, since people were asking me for an explanation in my status about what the hell I was talking about, here you go.

It just feels like, when it all adds up with these Voice Actors, SEGA's efforts are in vain. They have to deal with fans used to the old voices so much to the point of liking them, fans that would rather have the characters mute, or people who just plain hate the voices in general. And as shown throughout the years, SEGA really care too fucking much. Such as being to play as Sonic and Weresonic (Unleashed) Sonic with Crayola Powers (Colors) And Sonic and 90's Sonic. (Generations)

This 'Sola Sonica' started when the abundance of characters became too much, and critics and fans wanted them done away with. SEGA complied, and we got a slew of Sonic only games with some appearances of the other characters. But if the new game, "Sonic Dimensions" rings true to what the information we got, I'm afraid SEGA need to put their foot down. They making multiple Sonic's in order for extra characters to not have a playable appearance. That sounds a little desperate if you ask me. And while it sounds like a game I'd love the hell out of, I'd prefer those multiple Sonics be, well, characters that aren't Sonic.

The Voice Actors have only been in 4 games and they've already been complained about, not that it took any longer 6 years ago, that shit was even worse. It's pretty shocking to see people dislike the voices so much, I mean, they are much better than what we've got before. The 4kids cast had a bumpy ride, yet only a teaspoon of them made it through. Soon we get the New cast, and things get a little interesting, they were a Love/Hate thing, and still are.

This is what my fears come from, SEGA seems to listen to the unreasonable fans that have the "Less is MOAR" mentality.

Generations had a borderline pathetic story with barely anything interesting me into the plot except saving the characters, turning into Super Sonic, and the opening scene. The ending would have been nice if I could relive the huge adventure I had beforehand in more than 5 seconds.

And yet, people still complained about the story, being 'Confusing' or hard to follow. Are these people that fucking slow, or are they just that dense?

And the voice actors weren't liked much, either. Even in positive reviews, the VA's were either brushed off or just got plain insulted, and the characters were given the "Shitty Friends" Card in most of the reviews as well.

My fear is, SEGA might truly get rid of the voices, the story, and the other characters altogether, and if they did, I dunno how I could enjoy the Sonic Games anymore. The gameplay might be the most important thing, but everything else linked to it in a Video Game is what makes it home. SEGA's given in to complaints and stupid criticism before, I'm just a bit worried they'll just notch everything down and make the games over-simplified.

Just a thought I had.

Preach it brotha, preach!! biggrin.png

I agree with this 100%. People hating the new voices isn't really suprising and I usually stay away from all the voice acting drama. People will be unhappy no matter what Sega do, even if they bring back the Sonic Adventure cast there will be people who prefers the 4Kids cast or the new cast and there will also be people who hates the voices overall and want the characters to stay mute and then there's people who wants the characters to talk. All I know is that I like most of the new voices and I'm still getting use to a few of them. I still think the 4Kids cast got it a lot worse, though.

Edit: BTW, the voices is always a common complaint in reviews as far as I can remember. IIRC, the Sonic Adventure voice actors weren't liked much in reviews either. I remember reading a bunch of reviews from the original Sonic Adventure 10 or so years ago and reviewers listed the voice acting as horrible and they recommend the Japanese voices or wants the Sonic characters to stay mute like in the classic games. I've never understand why the critics hated the voice acting back then. The 4Kids voices, I won't even get into that but I'm pretty sure the reviewers hated them, too. I think the voices will always be a complaint to reviewers. They don't care about that kind of stuff like we do and they won't be satisfied until SEGA gets rid of voices and story in Sonic games altogether.

I hope SEGA don't always listen to that group of people who wants the games to be so overly-simple and bare bones to the point the games becomes very uninteresting and shallow after maybe the first playthrough of it. Everytime I watch playthroughs of the Sonic Adventure games, it makes me miss the days when some of the characters are playable and actually has a role in the stories and that's probably why a lot of fans still prefer the Adventures titles over Generations or Colors. I still love Generations and Colors, but damn the story and the lack of character interactions disappointed me so much in Generations. I'll let Colors slide since Sonic and Tails are the only characters in the game but Generatsions has the full cast and Sonic doesn't even have a word of dialogue with anybody but Tails. Yeah, the gameplay is important but that shouldn't always be number 1 while making everything else lackluster.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good lord, the new VAs are leagues better than what we had before. Even the Amy VA got a little better than what she was in Free Riders, and that means she can still keep getting better. Sonic's voice for once has attitude in it and I can't belive some people are forgetting the complaints of Amy Palant making Tails sound like a girl. Kate is one of the best along Roger, and the opening cutscene confirmed this for me (The fear in Tails' voice actually made me feel bad for him sad.png). Although he didn't sound bad before, now Knuckles still sounds great too

You can for once listen to Cream without wanting to blow the speakers, same Omochao, do you remember?

Vector...he didn't get a significant change...but come on, we had him sound like some goblin, Barney Gumble and let's not forget the 40-year-old crocodile looking for the computer room.

Rouge finally doesn't sound like a 40 year old slut and now sounds like what she really is.

Shadow...apart from his "ssss" I don't find anything wrong.

Silver is a huge improvement compared to what it was before: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMyzJSauOg (sorry, it's the only thing I could find in a hurry). I don't remember Blaze previous VA, but she sounds good too.

You can add Charmy to Cream's category, although being annoying is one of his characteristics tongue.png

The only difference I noticed with Espio is that he got a deeper voice, but I don't have a concrete opinion about it

I need more from Big and Omega to make an opinion

Edited by Vec
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think my problem with Vector is that he sounds so similar to his previous 4kids voice, whereas the one in Heroes sounded more natural to me. Not like a muppet, but a gruff guy with a cool accent. I wish they'd chosen that direction for him.

The new VA can act, but the direction bothers me more than anything else.

Edited by Mega

I think my problem with Vector is that he sounds so similar to his previous 4kids voice, whereas the one in Heroes sounded more natural to me. Not like a muppet, but a gruff guy with a cool accent. I wish they'd chosen that direction for him.

The new VA can act, but the direction bothers me more than anything else.

Yeah, I agree. Even though I like his new voice, the tone they give him sounds a bit jarring at times, usually it bugs me when he says "Sonic!" In the hub menu, it just sounds...strange.

If his tone was a little bit deeper, and maybe give him a Brooklyn accent, he'd be perfect.

I do miss Vector's old voice, it was gruff yet comical. I'm pretty sure the new voice is obviously relating to the meme from the previous one.

But Knuckles' Adventure 2 voice was not the same voice as the first Adventure. I personally don't really care all that much for either of them, though. I think Travis is doing great as Knuckles.

I hate Travis as Knuckles. He really does sound a lot like Dan Green. I'd take McGaharn or Drier over them any day.

Well seeing how Knuckles has had a personality change, it makes sense that he has a more exuberant voice.

Plus Drier sounded too deep at times, and Mcharm sounded bored.

Roger Craig Smith is my absolute favorite Sonic voice actor. I love the way he sounds as Sonic, Kate Higgins is a pretty good Tails too, she made Tails sound like an actual boy again.

Kate Higgins sounds like a boy sometimes... That's still better than having a horrible boy voice actor.

Roger is just gold. He actually sounds like he is 16, and talks like a normal person!

I liked Travis voice as Kunckles. He sounds like Dan Green but he don't make Knuckles sounds like he's angry all the time.