Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

So my two cents on all of this? I hate him as Sonic...two reasons:

-Sounds TOO deep and old for the character.

-His lines and unfunny puns are so painful I'd rather have Sonic mute...

Want kiddy plot in Sonic? Fine, but the plot and script in Colors is just crossing the line, why it makes Heroes seem bearable...not even kids would enjoy that I assure you...I haven't spoiled the cutscenes or played SG yet, so I can't say anything about that one...still Sonic Colors and Heroes may probably have the WORST scripting, but there's a difference here...Colors' intention is to make you laugh and fails the hardest at it, Sonic Heroes...you can get a few laughs from the cheesy dialogue because it sort of tries to be serious sometimes yet lines like "THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAM WORK!" sort of ruin the mood...but I'd still prefer that a thousand times than Colors...

Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Unleashed define a perfect balance to me...though I still like plots like the one in ShTH and 06, and I'm well aware I'm gonna get a lot of crap for that...still, Sonic himself has changed ever since Roger took over, since when does Sonic say "Dude"? it doesn't fit the character at all...either way I would've skipped Colors' cutscenes altogether if I'd known it'd be such a cringe-worthy experience...

Griffith was at his best in Unleashed while Ryan did his best in SA2, I like both of them as Sonic, even if Griffith's performance was lacking in 06, and Ryan sounded wayyy too happy in Heroes all the time...

Still overall if the new cast is gonna kill Sonic for me as a character...I'd rather switch to Japanese...or Spanish even...the cast is questionable, Shadow sounds so slow and drunk...Amy is the equivalent of Minnie Mouse, Vector is worse than the one in ShTH, Tails is as annoying as ever, and Jet is on helium...for the rest of them I don't mind, but when you kill 2 popular characters, that is, Sonic and Shadow I'd say something's going wrong...and I know people are gonna jump to Smith's defense on this...to me, I still think they strongly defend him because of his acting record in other series...if it weren't for that and he were some nobody instead they'd see how deep and unfitting his voice is...I mean lol, I remember when SEGA uncovered him:

"The new voice we chose for Sonic is the well-known actor who voices Ezio and Chris Redfield!" or something like that...it's like saying "In our rush to replace the 4Kids cast, we have chosen an actor you all know and love! - even though his pitch and voice aren't exactly adequate - that way we will never hear complaints again! I mean he plays Chris Redfield, he's perfect for the job!...Isn't he?..".

This is why I was against the 4Kids overreaction and hate mail, calls...etc...SEGA has now punished us with this cast, to all those who contributed, enjoy your Smith! I'll give the guy a second chance just because I really don't wanna switch to another language...after I play SG maybe I'll have a second opinion on this, or it might remain unchanged...we'll see.

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

This is why I was against the 4Kids overreaction and hate mail, calls...etc...SEGA has now punished us with this cast, to all those who contributed, enjoy your Smith!

Not that I hated Griffith all that much to begin with, but yeah I will enjoy it, because he is the strongest actor who's portrayed him in my humblest opinion.

Colours dialogue and Heroes' dialogue are incomparable. Firstly, the former is about a billion times better, purely in terms of character interactions and such. Heroes had all the characters behaving deliberately out of character in order to justify the gameplay.

Additionally, you need to check your facts buddy. SEGA didn't just pick RCS because he was a well-known voice actor. There was a proper procedure and he auditioned like any actor would. He was the best person who auditioned and as such he nabbed the role.

This happens every time though anyway. There will always be people tho dislike the new guy for whatever reason. When Drummond left, there were people screaming at how different Griffith sounded, namely is slow, lacadasical delivery compared to Drummond's hyperactive delivery. Now there are people who are screaming (or at the very least sore) because Smith sounds different to both Griffith and Drummond and we have people saying his voice is too deep and so on. I can see the same damn thing happening again when RCS's contract is terminated and is replaced once more.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5

I don't have any problems with the current cast, with the possible exception of Cream, but she's always aroused my ire. Why must she sound like she's gasping for breath?

Any issues I have are largely to do with voice direction and possibly the script. I find Sonic and Shadow (well, what little I've heard) to be a bit over the top in execution, but this should improve as the actors settle more into their roles.

Edited by Lungo

Well dude judging by how it's going, the next guy is gonna sound like your grandpa...

Edited by Scar

Thanks...I'll go to the "Introductions" section of the forums later, what I was trying to get at is he sounds older everytime, Jason didn't do much, but he certainly sounded a little older than Ryan, and now Smith makes him sound like a 30 year old, if you like him that's ok, your opinion...but I personally find it hard to adapt to him...he just sounds off...and with the current writers we'll never get a worthwhile or enetertaining story anyway, just a pitiful comedy show...

Thanks...I'll go to the "Introductions" section of the forums later, what I was trying to get at is he sounds older everytime, Jason didn't do much, but he certainly sounded a little older than Ryan, and now Smith makes him sound like a 30 year old, if you like him that's ok, your opinion...but I personally find it hard to adapt to him...he just sounds off...and with the current writers we'll never get a worthwhile or enetertaining story anyway, just a pitiful comedy show...

• Thumbs Up 2

No need to get worked up over this...it's just my opinion...I don't need my ears checked and if I do need them checked it is probably because Colors destroyed them! What I hear is Chris Redfield with a slightly higher pitch...yes I believe most of Smith's fans were already fans because of RE5 or AC, while Griffith was being hated just because he worked at 4Kids, and yeah since 4KIDZ IZ EEVIL he was portrayed as the bad guy at the time...saturday morning cartoon? Are they all this lame? I said I prefered it, not that Heroes was amazing or something.

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

1: No he doesn't he sounds fine.

2: Roger Craig Smith didn't write the script... so why is this being used to slagg him off exactly?

Want kiddy plot in Sonic? Fine, but the plot and script in Colors is just crossing the line, why it makes Heroes seem bearable...not even kids would enjoy that I assure you...I haven't spoiled the cutscenes or played SG yet, so I can't say anything about that one...still Sonic Colors and Heroes may probably have the WORST scripting, but there's a difference here...Colors' intention is to make you laugh and fails the hardest at it, Sonic Heroes...you can get a few laughs from the cheesy dialogue because it sort of tries to be serious sometimes yet lines like "THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAM WORK!" sort of ruin the mood...but I'd still prefer that a thousand times than Colors...

Whilst I'm tempted to latch onto the whole 'exactly why have you used the word kiddy as a negative when Sonic is at heart a childrens character.'

I think a more interesting question would be something more along the lines of why are you supporting you claims that Roger Craig Smith is a bad voice actor for Sonic by quoting lines made by Ryan Drummold.... yet you don't quote anything from RCS to back up your original stance?

why it makes Heroes seem bearable...not even kids would enjoy that I assure you../

So by this we should all understand that you have gone around to the home of every Sonic fan under the age of... whatever age you are and asked them if they enjoyed it?

rest of the rant

So when are you going to offer any examples or anything remotely significant to back up your original point so we can look to see if you have a point? Now I'm quite sure that RCS has his critics as well as the rest of the new cast in general, I for one am not a huge fan of the new Amy, although the performance of her in Generations is a lot better than the last game she was in I'll give her that.

I don't need my ears checked and if I do need them checked it is probably because Colors destroyed them! What I hear is Chris Redfield with a slightly higher pitch

I suggest you get your TV fixed instead. Chris Redfield sounds nothing like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only one who's getting close to worked up here is you.

I mean, fine, you don't like the voice. 'Tis cool. But you can't use script writing as a basis for your argument. If you don't like the lines, chances are you wouldn't have liked them even if Ryan or Jason had performed instead of Roger.

• Thumbs Up 1

But, yeah...that said, I'm glad we got a competent actor for once on Sonic.

Well, that's pretty harsh. Was insulting the competency of previous actors really all that necessary?

Now as for everyone else. Travis Willingham is basically Dan Green with better direction.

Fixed. Dan Green's acting was always some of the best. Better direction probably would've done him some good.

Cindy Robinson improved as Amy, but she still hits that Minnie Mouse level and it does sound pretty grating.

Agreed.

Quinton Flynn is SO much easier on the ears as Silver than Pete Capella.

I didn't think Pete Capella was that bad in every game other than 06. I thought his new voice clips in M&S2 sounded pretty good.

Vector still sounds like a Muppet...granted he has better delivery now, but still. He sounds like a Muppet. I like Muppet voices, just not for this character.

I don't mind it anymore. I've pretty much accepted that that's what Sega wants and it doesn't really bother me.

Charmy is not annoying anymore.

Charmy is always annoying, regardless of voice. It's lines like "FREE BEEE!" that destroy his chances of being tolerable.

Shadow needs to stop trying to hard to be mysterious.

THIS. So much THIS. Honestly, I prefer Jason Griffith's Shadow voice, as even though most of the time he sounded like he was whispering, at least he didn't slur every line and sound oddly reptilian half the time. I think if Kirk Thornton can make his delivery a bit more natural and make his voice for Shadow more akin to his voice for Saix from Kingdom Hearts, it can work, but I know he can do better than this.

Espio is...well, Espio.

Agreed.

I think the new Blaze makes her sound a bit too pompous.

Agreed. I think a more shy and awkward, but still fierce tone would suit her much better.

Cream actually sounds cute.

Agreed. (Though, I thought that the previous actress' new clips in M&S2 sounded pretty nice.)

Rouge is seductive without being gross.

Again, harsh. "Without sounding too old" would've sufficed. No need to be insulting just to be insulting.

And Eggman is amazing.

Agreed. Mike is a champion.

You have your opinions, I have mine.

I know, I'm just saying. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. Sorry if it comes off that way.

BTW, Sonic's voice gotten much higher in Generations (to my disappointment sad.png). Why is there still complaints about Sonic sounding like a 30 year old or he going to sound like someone grandpa in the next game when Roger made his Sonic voice more higher pitched and younger. Knuckles and Espio is around the same age as Sonic and their voices is so much more deeper then his but yet I don't see people constantly bringing up their ages.

Also, it's not Roger's fault for saying those lines in Colors. He's only acting out his lines, he didn't write them . If Jason never got replaced then he will be the one who is going to say those lines, too. So yeah, direct your anger at the writers for writing the script not the actors themselves.

Oh and for the record, I didn't know who Roger Craig Smith was until the voice actor change. I wasn't familiar with any of his work and past roles but I was happy that they hired someone with a lot of experience after doing some research on him. So saying crap that people is only defending him because of his previous roles is dumb. I like him cause I think he pulls off a great Sonic voice not because of his track record.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

I dunno, I sorta love how much of the scenery Kirk chews when doing his Shadow voice. He honestly sounds like a drunk and/or horny David Humphrey to me, which is actually kinda awesome. I just love the dichotomy: a supposedly serious character who spouts lines like "You got thissssssonic." is genius in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care about "backing up" my points...it's not like it'll bring Griffith or Ryan back, my course of action is simply to give him a last chance in SG, and if it's still terrible just use the Japanese or Spanish option...and yes Sonic is for kids, but there are a lot of teens and adults playing it, I wish they would try to make it so that our ears don't explode.

Eh? Who here has mentioned anything about bringing the other actors back? You don't care about backing up your points? That's cool, just don't complain if anyone decided to argue against them.

Well, that's pretty harsh. Was insulting the competency of previous actors really all that necessary?

Yeah...that was a bit much. Sorry. I probably should have just ended with the note with Smith and White being the only American VAs that make me feel like I'm hearing Sonic.

Again, harsh. "Without sounding too old" would've sufficed. No need to be insulting just to be insulting.

Yeah, but I'm not sure I can put it nicer terms and I'm not sure "without sounding too old" really justifies how I felt about the previous voice. ...though then again, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all. >>;

Fixed. Dan Green's acting was always some of the best. Better direction probably would've done him some good.

Well, putting the whole "Dan Green is just doing Dan Green" bias aside I had back in the day (now-a-days I've come to terms with people not having the range of...well...Frank Welker), yeah, he definitely was the better cast members in the 4kids cast and he would sound better with better direction. He has sounded better in stuff like GaoGaiGar (...though over-the-topness is welcomed there XD), and other things. So yeah...definitely.

I didn't think Pete Capella was that bad in every game other than 06. I thought his new voice clips in M&S2 sounded pretty good.

I don't doubt it, but I didn't hear his outings in Rivals 2. And, he sounds like Eric Vale's Trunks...and I don't like Eric Vale's Trunks. The voice anyway. His acting improved in Kai, but...yeah, that gruff he puts on doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Ryusuke

Just because I think different doesn't make me the bad guy and just so anyone knows I didn't get "angry" during the course of this discussion...as long as SEGA keeps switching the casts this will go on, that is a fact...If Roger truly has a higher pitch and doesn't toss puns here and there in SG then I'll be just fine with it.

I know, I'm just saying. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. Sorry if it comes off that way.

It's all good. I understand that you like him and all, and I have no problem with that. smile.png

BTW, Sonic's voice gotten much higher in Generations (to my disappointment sad.png). Why is there still complaints about Sonic sounding like a 30 year old or he going to sound like someone grandpa in the next game when Roger made his Sonic voice more higher pitched. Knuckles and Espio's is around the same age as Sonic and their voices is so much more deeper then his but yet I don't see people constantluy bringing up their ages.

Yeah, I noticed that. I don't think Roger is horrible or anything (I think he's done a decent job), but I just don't really think his voice fits Sonic IMO. I dunno, I just prefer Jun'ichi Kanemaru. I don't mind Knux and Espio's voices, though. They fit pretty well, I guess.

Also, it's not Roger's fault for saying those lines in Colors. He's only acting out his lines, he didn't write them . If Jason never got replaced then he will be the one who is going to say those lines, too. So yeah, direct your anger at the writers for writing the script not the actors themselves.

Never said it was Roger's fault, ma'am. tongue.png Though I do think the Colors writers can do better if they were given more to work with.

I also like how they've linked Colors together with Generations. It's very rare these days for plots in Sonic games to tie together.

Ryan Drummond is a good actor. I cringe at his acting in Sonic Adventure and I thought he was okay in Adventure 2 and Heroes.

In the pre-4Kids 3D games (when AudioGodz was in charge of dubbing), the acting was directed by a woman named Lani Minella. Unfortunately for the cast members, her direction was downright awful. I can't speak for the cast outside of Ryan Drummond, but he has gone on record saying the conditions in which they were forced to act were not unlike being in a nazi gas chamber (as tasteless as that may have been) and that even if they tried to do a good voice, Lani wouldn't approve. To add insult to injury, the scripts SEGA provided were pretty much said to be impossible to properly act to. I don't know how many have heard Ryan actually do Sonic's voice the way he'd like to, but he pretty much has it nailed in my opinion. I don't mind Roger being Sonic, but I just wish Ryan had a chance to show us what he could really do. I'd take a guess and say Jason's made of a lot more than what SEGA had him doing, but I've never actually heard him do the voice outside the games outside of that Sonicon video which wasn't the highest of quality.

Lani's foul direction was later heard in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, outside of certain characters like the Pokémon, Snake, and Sonic (being provided by The Pokémon Company, Konami, and SEGA respectively) and characters that used stock audio clips like Mario.

Lani Minella is the voice of Rouge and Omochao right? I didn't know she lead the voice direction for the Adventure series and Heroes. I liked Ryan Drummond voice acting in SA1 and SA2 but not so much in Heroes and some of the voice acting for the other characters in the Adventure series could've been better but they're not god awful.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

Yeah, Lani did Rouge and Omochao among some more minor voices like the Station Square announcer, Eggman's computer, and Void. Her voice is also used for Pit in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Ivy in Soulcalibur III and IV.

All her voices pretty much sound the same. Her acting is just as bad as her directing, leading me to wonder how or why she even got involved in this field at all.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1