Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Actually what I said came out wrong. I know she's a professional actor otherwise she wouldn't be hired, but I don't think she's the right person for Amy. Not with that squeaky voice. Listening to her in Free Riders was painful, and in Generations it wasn't that bad, and that's because she only has three short lines to say throughout the game.

I hope she is going to tweak her voice (and it's better) in the later games, otherwise I just want her gone. Amy has the worst voice at the moment.

I wasn't. Primarily because it would have killed the moment. It was Sonic and his younger self to take on the Eggmen. Having Shadow and Silver turn super for no reason, beyond the fact that they have a super form, is pointless. Beyond that, they weren't at all playable in the actual game, so to suddenly make them playable at the end would be stupid.

Again beyond that, why not Knuckles and Tails? They've been helping Sonic for a lot longer and they too have Super Forms. Why Shadow and Silver?

Off topic: Its more of a case of character, think about it from an in game standpoint, why would Sonic's friends( and especially Shadow) leave Sonic to fight by himself, when they're just as capable? There wasn't anything stopping them from just buying time until they went Super and kicked their asses, and even then the characters that could go Super really had no reason to not help.

Its a case of gameplay and story segregation.

Colors writing was atrocious...but SG's writing is bearable, in fact I actually found Eggman going crazy with his over-the-top laugh pretty funny. And this time there weren't as many poor jokes forced on you...Now I see I was right about my hate for Smith originating mostly from his pitiful script in Colors, now I find him tolerable but nothing more. As for most of the cast, they somehow sound pretty similar to their older actors, so I'd say they should just keep improving the writing and make longer stories than SG...the only problem I see with it is the last boss cutscene, Sonic's in trouble and can't move, and then all of his friends arrive, to do what exactly? Cheer him on and ANNOY the player during the boss fight. I can bet many of us were thinking "Well, Shadow and Silver do have a super form, why can't they help?".

But all of that has nothing to do with the writing or the tallent of the voice actors.

Voice acting isn't a case of 'welcome voice actors, here is our entire script, now do the lines for it' even RCS during his interview on SSR a few weeks ago said that quite often he has no idea what the plot for the games will be that he works on, or who else is in the game because quite often he's just given some lines to say/deliver and it's usually out of context, the most interesting one was 'I've never met Mike Pollock' even though they have scenes together.

Everyone goes on about 'that looks like a homing shot' or the barrage of 'Sonic's' before/during the final boss. But how is that the fault of the voice actors? Or to a point, the writers?

They might have written the Sonic barrage before the boss, but they certainly wouldn't have written 'that looks like a homing shot' to be repeated every single time the boss does that move. Thats another departments problem, I suspect that particual sound file is just tuned to randomly play each time that move is done... but I ask you? How is that the fault of the voice actor or the writers when it's more to do with the coding of the game?

It's like saying, someone, at some point made the sound effect for the ring pickup, each time you pick up a ring, the game is coded to play that sound effect, what we have in the final boss is the same rule. But what you're doing is saying 'it's the fault of the person who made that ring noise!' as apposed to, it's the fault of the coders for prompting the homing shot SFX file every single time that move is done.

The single individual lines given in that final boss fight are for the most part done quite well, the problem rests with the people who have scripted/coded the fight so that the game will always play those SFX files at that particual moment.

But I've got to ask.... how is that the fault of the voice actors or the writers?

• Thumbs Up 6

But all of that has nothing to do with the writing or the tallent of the voice actors.

Voice acting isn't a case of 'welcome voice actors, here is our entire script, now do the lines for it' even RCS during his interview on SSR a few weeks ago said that quite often he has no idea what the plot for the games will be that he works on, or who else is in the game because quite often he's just given some lines to say/deliver and it's usually out of context, the most interesting one was 'I've never met Mike Pollock' even though they have scenes together.

Everyone goes on about 'that looks like a homing shot' or the barrage of 'Sonic's' before/during the final boss. But how is that the fault of the voice actors? Or to a point, the writers?

They might have written the Sonic barrage before the boss, but they certainly wouldn't have written 'that looks like a homing shot' to be repeated every single time the boss does that move. Thats another departments problem, I suspect that particual sound file is just tuned to randomly play each time that move is done... but I ask you? How is that the fault of the voice actor or the writers when it's more to do with the coding of the game?

It's like saying, someone, at some point made the sound effect for the ring pickup, each time you pick up a ring, the game is coded to play that sound effect, what we have in the final boss is the same rule. But what you're doing is saying 'it's the fault of the person who made that ring noise!' as apposed to, it's the fault of the coders for prompting the homing shot SFX file every single time that move is done.

The single individual lines given in that final boss fight are for the most part done quite well, the problem rests with the people who have scripted/coded the fight so that the game will always play those SFX files at that particual moment.

But I've got to ask.... how is that the fault of the voice actors or the writers?

People are just desperate to use any piece of dialogue to attack the writers regardless of whether it's their fault or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't. Primarily because it would have killed the moment. It was Sonic and his younger self to take on the Eggmen. Having Shadow and Silver turn super for no reason, beyond the fact that they have a super form, is pointless. Beyond that, they weren't at all playable in the actual game, so to suddenly make them playable at the end would be stupid.

Again beyond that, why not Knuckles and Tails? They've been helping Sonic for a lot longer and they too have Super Forms. Why Shadow and Silver?

EDIT:Fuck this is soooooo of-topic.

Because they're hedgehogs, and it would be awesome to see them fight together again besides 06, and of course, without Elise's Super Form enabling kiss. Besides in the 3D games the closest Tails and Knuckles have gotten to turning Super is some kind of bubble surrounding them, probably Sonic sharing his Super energy with them...probably to keep the TEAM WORK RULEZ theme running. Of course nowadays having anyone other than Sonic playable in a Sonic game is the most unforgivable sin, so forget all we've said til' now, never gonna happen so don't worry!

She does have range, having heard her voice is Blazblue as Makoto.

The question is, will she tweak her voice for Amy in the future? That's my problem. If she continues to give Amy this voice and found no alternative, then she has to go. I don't want to sound whiny, but my favorite character is getting ruined with this voice. Most people will NOT enjoy Amy's new voice and it's already been seen in the past 124 pages.

I didn't say anything about Cindy Robinson or Amy. Collectively there were lots of potential reasons why they switched, and likely it was more than just one. It's an entirely different studio handling the voices now. You're missing the point about professionalism though. Right since SA1 the series has been constantly criticised for it's dodgy voice work. Even in games where it's not not horrible (Unleashed, Black Knight) it's still not to a particularly high standard. If they had the opportunity to improve it along with everything else then it's a sensible choice really.

I thought the Sonic Adventure/Dreamcast era had the best voices according to many fans.

My problem is, somehow Sega managed to keep hold of Mike Pollock for Eggman. Why can't they do the same for the ones that DON'T need changing? Lisa loved playing as Amy Rose, so it wasn't like she wanted the contract to end and move on.

Lisa's voice acting wasn't criticized heavily at all, she's no Jennifer but she still put on a very decent voice for Amy.

The question is, will she tweak her voice for Amy in the future? That's my problem. If she continues to give Amy this voice and found no alternative, then she has to go. I don't want to sound whiny, but my favorite character is getting ruined with this voice. Most people will NOT enjoy Amy's new voice and it's already been seen in the past 124 pages

Not to sound disrespectful, but who the hell are you to decide that? Do you work at Sonic Team? Do you have any say so in how voice direction goes? Amy's no better than a minor character these days so it might just be voice direction isn't as focused on her as it is for the likes of Sonic, Tails, or Eggman the ones with actual importance.

I mean come on, because you don't like something that's more than enough to reason to fire this woman for doing her job? Suck it up.

I thought the Sonic Adventure/Dreamcast era had the best voices according to many fans.

My problem is, somehow Sega managed to keep hold of Mike Pollock for Eggman. Why can't they do the same for the ones that DON'T need changing? Lisa loved playing as Amy Rose, so it wasn't like she wanted the contract to end and move on.

Lisa's voice acting wasn't criticized heavily at all, she's no Jennifer but she still put on a very decent voice for Amy.

The entire contract with 4Kids could have come to an end, and would be why Lisa lost her position. SEGA hires studios to prove voice work, not individual actors. It's much easier and probably works out as cheaper. Lisa may not have wanted to go through whatever troubles were necessary to get her job as Amy back, or even if she did re-audition they may have decided that Cindy's voice was better. God knows how anyone could come to that conclusion, but it's plausible.

Mike Pollock has ALWAYS been the most popular VA in series. Unlike with everyone else, SEGA could have gone out of their way to secure him. It certainly sounds like it from what we've heard. Believe me, I'd have wanted them to keep Lisa too. She was a perfect Amy. They did want certain characters to sound different though. Roger has said that he was told to make Sonic sound older and Karen Strassman can't have been told to try and sound like 4Kids Rouge. Amy could have been another one.

Edited by Blue Blood

Off topic: Its more of a case of character, think about it from an in game standpoint, why would Sonic's friends( and especially Shadow) leave Sonic to fight by himself, when they're just as capable? There wasn't anything stopping them from just buying time until they went Super and kicked their asses, and even then the characters that could go Super really had no reason to not help.

Its a case of gameplay and story segregation.

It's true...supporting him during the fight by buying time or turning super was the right thing to do from one point of view...from the game's point of view, since it's all about both Sonics they couldn't have had any help I guess, but then they should've avoided making Shadow and Silver just stand there looking at the show, it was a matter of saving or destroying the world after all.

It's true...supporting him during the fight by buying time or turning super was the right thing to do from one point of view...from the game's point of view, since it's all about both Sonics they couldn't have had any help I guess, but then they should've avoided making Shadow and Silver just stand there looking at the show, it was a matter of saving or destroying the world after all.

They weren't important, and had no role in the game. It may have made sense from a story perspective, but since story isn't the focus of Generations and gameplay is, they had no reason to help, let alone go super. Can we get back on topic now, we've already got two warnings.

Programming issues aside, the problem is the cutscene itself...the characters have many abilities aside speaking through a transceiver that they could have used to help. As I said, aside from that cutscene and the story being too short, it was an ok plot.

Not to sound disrespectful, but who the hell are you to decide that? Do you work at Sonic Team? Do you have any say so in how voice direction goes? Amy's no better than a minor character these days so it might just be voice direction isn't as focused on her as it is for the likes of Sonic, Tails, or Eggman the ones with actual importance.

I mean come on, because you don't like something that's more than enough to reason to fire this woman for doing her job? Suck it up.

It's actually hard to suck it up when your favorite character has now the worst voice out of all the characters. Amy is going to get criticized more. It's like a character that you used to love suddenly changed personality to something you don't like. Cindy can actually ruin Amy Rose for other people unless she tweaks it real good.

Edited by Spiced Christmas

It's actually hard to suck it up when your favorite character has now the worst voice out of all the characters. Amy is going to get criticized more. It's like a character that you used to love suddenly changed personality to something you don't like. Cindy can actually ruin Amy Rose for other people unless she tweaks it real good.

Actually I felt that way with Smith, but in SG he felt a little more like Sonic, Amy didn't sound that bad either, you should hear her in Free Riders, line burned into my head: "IMMA LADY!!1".

Ok, that's no reason to fire her. Amy was already a polarizing figure long before the voice change. People hating her isn't anything new. I understand she's your favorite character but you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Is the series going to die because one character's voice isn't up to snuff? If it bothers you that much just switch the voice to Japanese and be done with it.

Edited by Shadic Claus

"IMMA LADY!!1".

Not gonna lie, that was my favorite line in that game. I found that funny, and it caught me off gaurd.

shut up

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 5

Not gonna lie, that was my favorite line in that game. I found that funny.

shut up

That entire dialogue between the four of them was pretty hilarious......yeah I said it, what?

So anyways, anybody planning to go to a Anime Con with any of the VA's there?

If I were the VA's I'd stay away from any con if I could, lest the pissy fans who take voice acting seriously show up and harass them.

If I were the VA's I'd stay away from any con if I could, lest the pissy fans who take voice acting seriously show up and harass them.

Uh, outside the internet I doubt many people would actually dare to do that, as much as I'm mixed with Smith, I think the most I would do IRL is throw an evil glare at him...if I were still hating the way he makes Sonic sound that is.

Uh, outside the internet I doubt many people would actually dare to do that, as much as I'm mixed with Smith, I think the most I would do IRL is throw an evil glare at him...if I were still hating the way he makes Sonic sound that is.

You'd be surprised how stupid people can be.