Awoo.

Mega Man Universe [CANCELLED]

Ekaje

Well, that leaves any sequel to Xtreme 3, Command Mission 2, or Maverick Hunter X2. Or, something new.

I personally hope it's Legends 3. X has had enough sequels. Legends, on the other hand, only had two games and ended on a cliffhanger ten years ago. It's probably the most neglected Mega Man series.

Plus it would be nice to see a new 3D Mega Man game. It's something they haven't experimented with in a long time.

Anyway, a Japanese Mega Man Universe site has launched. And curiously enough, it still calls the game "Mega Man Universe" despite the character being called Rockman over there. The thought of it having one universally used name further supports the theory that it's online.

At the moment though, there isn't anything of interest on the site. I'm sure it will be updated soon though.

Well there's a few things we can take from all of this. Looking at what they keep on teasing, the trailer, the teaser interview I think it's actually getting kind of obvious what type of game this is.

One of the main points of the trailer is that it's a kids dream. You see he goes to sleep and then he has a dream of Mega Man turning into Ryu and Arthur and when he dies he turns into 8-Bit Mega Man and then the boxart one. At first I thought he would have to fight other Capcom characters or something but get this. He see's a figuring of Cutman so then he gets the IDEA to use Cutman's power. He see's a red headband and gets the IDEA to become Ryu. They tease this is a game where you can play any Mega Man game you want, the game is called Mega Man Universe, they talk about wanting to bring all Mega Man fans under one roof...

No matter what the style is it's fairly obvious this will have to be a customizable game in some way, shape, or form. In-fact if I may be as bold, I think the trailer symbolizes that if you can think it, you can make it and if you can make it, you can play it. The planet suggests the game is going to allow players to share ideas, maybe characters, enemies, stages, and there is a potential also for online play. Of course there's no way to tell how far into customization you can go; It might be as simple as choosing a character to being able to create full levels and props, but at this point and all the teases it's evident this game is going to be a "Create Your Own Fantasy" type Mega Man game.

I personally hope it's Legends 3. X has had enough sequels. Legends, on the other hand, only had two games and ended on a cliffhanger ten years ago. It's probably the most neglected Mega Man series.

So... it's Mega Man Shenmue *shot**shot again*

Though my ideas of sequels came from the thought that if it were an X game. I'm not ruling out all others, in fact, I wouldn't mind giving the others a try. It's just that, since that post was me singling out the X- series for sequels, that's the only reason why I mentioned X-only games.

Well there's a few things we can take from all of this. Looking at what they keep on teasing, the trailer, the teaser interview I think it's actually getting kind of obvious what type of game this is.

One of the main points of the trailer is that it's a kids dream. You see he goes to sleep and then he has a dream of Mega Man turning into Ryu and Arthur and when he dies he turns into 8-Bit Mega Man and then the boxart one. At first I thought he would have to fight other Capcom characters or something but get this. He see's a figuring of Cutman so then he gets the IDEA to use Cutman's power. He see's a red headband and gets the IDEA to become Ryu. They tease this is a game where you can play any Mega Man game you want, the game is called Mega Man Universe, they talk about wanting to bring all Mega Man fans under one roof...

No matter what the style is it's fairly obvious this will have to be a customizable game in some way, shape, or form. In-fact if I may be as bold, I think the trailer symbolizes that if you can think it, you can make it and if you can make it, you can play it. The planet suggests the game is going to allow players to share ideas, maybe characters, enemies, stages, and there is a potential also for online play. Of course there's no way to tell how far into customization you can go; It might be as simple as choosing a character to being able to create full levels and props, but at this point and all the teases it's evident this game is going to be a "Create Your Own Fantasy" type Mega Man game.

So, tl;dr, this game might be Inafune taking the concept LittleBigPlanet was founded on and running away with it all the way to the moon? Because I'd be totally down with that.

For oft-requested, I doubt it's ZX3. My friend (who's big on the entire series, on the state-side front at least) had summarized the ZX plot, and it sounded like it all wrapped up after 2.

Cliffhanger ending? Check

Disappearing character that says himself that he's not going to die? Check.

Biometals still under control of EVIL? Checkedy do dah.

Yeah they could make a sequel easily.

Cliffhanger ending? Check

Disappearing character that says himself that he's not going to die? Check.

Biometals still under control of EVIL? Checkedy do dah.

Yeah they could make a sequel easily.

Yeah, I saw the ending. I was surprised a little, giving how my know-it-all mega man friend didn't even mention it.

Yeah, I saw the ending. I was surprised a little, giving how my know-it-all mega man friend didn't even mention it.

I want to give you an example of the hard modes on the ZX games.

I took an Action Replay, gave myself every biometal/A-Trans, moon jump, and invincibility.

The game continues to kick my ass.

Nobody knows about it because it is harder than shit to get through the game on hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took an Action Replay, gave myself every biometal/A-Trans, moon jump, and invincibility.

Nobody knows about it because it is harder than shit to get through the game on hard.

Invincibility and it still kicks your ass? Damn, that's brutal.

Invincibility and it still kicks your ass? Damn, that's brutal.

There are enemies that are placed so that they knock you into spikes/bottomless pits. Also traps and such. The enemies are nearly an annoyance compared to the traps.

EDIT: aauugghhh i keep reading everything as farnsworth. it's fine and all but in my head it sound like farnsworth replying to farnsworth and confusion arises.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

There are enemies that are placed so that they knock you into spikes/bottomless pits. Also traps and such. The enemies are nearly an annoyance compared to the traps.

EDIT: aauugghhh i keep reading everything as farnsworth. it's fine and all but in my head it sound like farnsworth replying to farnsworth and confusion arises.

Even when invincible, they send you back? As for the farnsworth thing, I've accepted it. It's like when farnsworth of universe a was talking to the alternate farnsworth.

Even when invincible, they send you back?

There's knockback yeah. I haven't found a code to get rid of it.

But. . . .  I beat both games on hard. . . .  .on their original carts o= (Patience, persistence, and just plain Stubbornness helped me =P)

*Reads some more* A kids' dream? Their own megaman? Do tell, I'm still skeptical, only because we know nothing other than what we've been told. Also that teaser was pretty cool.

Honestly, I would prefer if they didn't do another X since I no longer count the ones post-X5. Maybe, they should do one about the Elf Wars since you only get brief summaries in the Zero series.

No clue. It's like Colors, all we got was a short announcement trailer, and now we're waiting for whenever they feel like showing actual gameplay.

OOOOO, playing as any Mega Man ever in a fullout Mega Man game? Holy crap this sounds so amazing and I'm ready to check this out; can't wait for more info. The only question is wondering what the gameplay is like. Is it like classic MM games, 3D, a remake, or what? This actually sounds like LittleBigPlanet meets Mega Man, and that's not anywhere near a bad thing whatsoever.

also

Thank great tasting gravy there won't be another MMX game. The X series sucks (and I know I'll get shot repeatedly for that), and honestly I also hope it's not a MM.exe game (even though playing as MM.EXE in Universe would be pretty cool). Classic MM and Legends FTW. So yeah, Legends 3 plzplzplzplz

Alright, a roundup of news from Comic-Con about this game, thanks to Protodude's Rockman Corner:

Unfortunately, I'm not at Comic-Con this year, but my buddies from Eye Lazor Beams and the folks over at 1Up are. The 1Up crew are currently live blogging Capcom's press conference, which you can follow right here.

Mega Man Universe details will likely be revealed at the show, so expect to hear news about the title throughout the night. I'll be posting the relevant details from both 1Up's live blog and ELB after the break for your convenience. Should screen shots, videos, etc. come out, I'll be posting those in a separate post. Check back often!

-------------

Here we go:

* last but not least, Mega Man Universe

* Inafune is here to talk about his game.

* "I've come today to talk about this newly announced Mega Man project. and I'd like to introduce the producer who will be working with me on this. Ikaka Ahito. I'm not sure I spelled her name right."

* "The game won't be out for a little while yet. Please support us as you provide more information later." and now back to Inafune.

* "I'd like to talk about Mega Man's history, first."

* ELB Team: "Capcom US was so insistent on using the MM1 package art, Inafune not crazy about the "old man motif"

* (Inafune) He's talking about how Mega Man's true name is Rock Man, and how he thought it was always a goofy name (the Mega Man). He wasn't crazy about the old man pictures that was on the original box arts. "I know from personal experience, that more people come up to me and tell me how much of a Mega Man fan they are. This happens more in America than in a fan. The funny thing is is that they all introduce themselves as '#1 Mega Man" fan. So let's settle this. Who in this room is the #1 fan?"

* ..."Ok, let's talk Mega Man Universe what a lot of you came for. As a lot of you know there is a trailer and is designed to be mysterious, in that it doesn't show what the game is about."

* "Everyone has their own perception of what Mega Man is. Our feelings in making this game is a platform in that people can play as their favorite mega man, or their favorite character, to encourage imaginative play with this game."

* "The goal is to have Mega Man fans unite together in one place" (sounds like multiplayer of some sort) "I can't go into detail, but you might have an idea of what I'm talking about. And for those who haven't seen the trailer, we're going to show that right now."

* ELB Team: "Trailer came from the idea that everyone has a different idea of what MM is. Idea behind game is to preserve 7bit feel while..."

* (Inafune) "I know the trailer is a little mysterious, but what did you think?" Applause, of course. "We'll do our best to get this game into a playable form as soon as possible. We'll have more Mega Man Universe news coming in the near future. I feel bad that you call came here....but I'm going to let you in on stuff that the press doesn't even know..." But I'm HERE.

* "Of course Mega Man Universe is something I've always wanted to make. But there are other things going on in Mega Man for this year. There are going to be more Mega Man announcements forthcoming. I will tell you that it is an 'oft-requested thing'"

* the crowd starts to shout titles, to which he only responds "Thank You"

* so that's about it. The man is like Yoda. So we'll have to wait a little longer for more Mega Man Universe news, but it looks like we'll probably hear something sooner than that regarding an "oft-requested" Mega Man game.

* Panel over.

Source article.

Capcom's San Diego Comic-Con panel literally just came to an end, and as expected, Keiji Inafune was there to talk a little about the mysterious Mega Man Universe. Unfortunately, details were very, very slim as Capcom looks to continue keeping the game shrouded in mystery for the time being, but nevertheless, here's what we got:

* According to Inafune, Mega Man Universe will be a game where players can play as their favorite Mega Man characters (including the macho, middle-aged Mega Man from the original game's NES boxart) or other Capcom characters. A primary goal for the title is to offer an experience where Mega Man fans can "unite", a possible implication that online multiplayer will play a key aspect.

* Inafune then went on to say more details on the game are expected to arrive in the future. There was no gameplay shown, but Inafune assured the crowd he's determined to show us something soon. Concerning a release date, the game "won't be out for a while."

* In closing, Inafune let loose that many more Mega Man announcements are coming this year, and confirmed that an "oft-requested thing that we all want" is coming to fruition. The crowd immediately began to shout for "Mega Man Legends 3", to which Inafune replied with a swift "Thank You."

So, tonight's event kind of turned out to be a bust for big MMU news. However, Inafune's tease about forthcoming announcements has certainly piqued the interests of many, especially that "oft-requested" game tease. Could it finally be the much demanded Mega Man Legends 3? I certainly hope so!

Capcom will be holding another panel Saturday where another game is expected to be announced; perhaps we'll learn more about MMU there.

Source Article

And for kicks, a Gamespot Interview with Inafune:

I'll admit I'm a tad behind on this story, but nevertheless, it should keep your appetites whet for the impending flood of Mega Man Universe info coming within the next couple days, tomorrow the earliest.

Coinciding with the game's announcement trailer the other day, Keiji Inafune sat down with GameSpot to talk a little about the game. Mum on specifics, Inafune's words offer some subtle hints at just what fans can expect from MMU. Select portions of the interview after the break...

GS: What kind of game is this?

KI: I can’t say what it is exactly at this point, but the people who I want to play are the fans who played Mega Man games growing up. You will see a lot of '80s influence in the sound and artwork used in the game, and in this teaser trailer, you can see a lot of the '80s theme we are going for.

GS: Do you feel that Mega Man needs a reboot or makeover?

KI: I don’t think it is necessary to determine exactly where the character is heading. Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, which were done in the 8-bit style, proved that Mega Man is still widely accepted by its fan base. But, that doesn’t mean that we need to stick only to that 8-bit style because all the fans would get bored of the series. It’s not about whether or not the style is new or old; it is about making new ideas. I am always looking for new ideas for Mega Man.

GS: How much of an impact do all of the previous Mega Man games have on the creation of a new game like Mega Man Universe?

KI: All of the previous Mega Man games and all of the feedback we have received from the fans of the series has always been the biggest influence to our game design. I am particularly excited about how we will be able to implement the fans ideas in Mega Man Universe, but I can’t specify exactly how this will happen yet.

Like Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, it seems MMU will be driven by the nostalgia factor, though not necessarily in an 8-bit style. Inafune is looking for fan input once more, but curiously, dodges how this will happen. For the complete interview, head on over to GameSpot.

More Mega Man Universe news as it comes in!

Source Article

So, what we now know so far:

* It seems there's gonna be a massive cast, at least including every Mega Man main character, and mabye the various bosses, too. If I can play Ashe and Bass in this game, I'm gonna love it.

* Inafune seems to acknowledge that while 8-bit is neat, it's not a good idea to do it again and again. Interesting.

* Mega Man Legends 3? I damn well hope so.

• 2 weeks later...

New Inafune inteview. It's an Anime News Network interview, mostly about Dead Rising 2, but they asked a few Mega Man questions, which the Mega Man Network was kind enough to skip to. In regards to Universe, just more vague info, though a few answers caught my eye.

You’ve mentioned before that you’re not fond of the way Mega Man 3 was developed, that you were rushed through the process to release the game on time. Would you ever want to go back and remake that or any other Mega Man title, similar to the way CAPCOM remade Bionic Commando with Rearmed?

Inafune: Would I like to remake just Mega Man 3? Probably not so much. Would I like to remake the entire series with a modern look and feel? That’s something I’d be very interested in doing.

You mean like more Powered Up games? Sucks that Capcom probably wouldn't allow it because of the poor sales of Powered Up.

Something like Mega Man Universe? How did the idea for that project come around?

Inafune: Universe is a unique project. As the title suggests, it’s big. It’s a whole universe. Some aspects from older Mega Man titles that I wanted to revisit might find their way in there, but it’s going to expand far, far beyond that and be all about what fans want to see.

Vauge answersFFFFF-

People must ask you this next question a lot, so I apologize. Do you have any plans to make another Mega Man Legends game?

Inafune: I do hear that question a lot, and it’s still very much on my radar. My big fear is that if we did start doing it, investing all that time and money into it, the fans would just say “we don’t need that.” If I do end up doing it, please support me and don’t change your minds halfway through!

If Legends fans had a dollar for every time he's given answers like this to Legends 3, they'd have enough money to give Inafune a budget for Legends 3.

Edited by Ekaje

• 3 weeks later...

Mega Man Universe's gameplay revealed.

Looks pretty standard for MM. The art style is pretty interesting. I've also heard from a few people that there are multiple versions of this trailer featuring American Box Art Mega Man. If that's true and you can play as him, all I have to say is...........YES.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

So far it really looks just like good old Megaman. The teaser had me really interested, but this, not so much. However I certainly do believe that there's more to the game than meets the eye and look forward for future news.

Mega Man Universe's gameplay revealed.

Looks pretty standard for MM. The art style is pretty interesting. I've also heard from a few people that there are multiple versions of this trailer featuring American Box Art Mega Man. If that's true and you can play as him, all I have to say is...........YES.

Truth.

Three trailers. First has Mega Man, second has Rockman (yes, they're different characters), and the third has "Bad Box Art Mega Man".

So, right now, it looks like standard Mega Man, but the inclusion of new characters such as Ryu and Arthur could change things up though they're both projectile users, so maybe, maybe not. I just hope that the other playable characters aren't just costumes for Mega Man when it comes down to it.

Also, hoping for other incarnations of Mega Man to be playable.

Edited by Ekaje