Awoo.

Iizuka saying that Metal Sonic will not be in Sonic Colors, but something else, possibly new, is.

soinici

Sonic Colors News Thread

Latest news:

Izuka was coy, saying that Metal Sonic will not be in Sonic Colors, but something else, possibly new, is.

Source : http://palgn.com.au/nintendo-wii/16762/e3-2010-feature-sonic-colors-hands-on/image.php?id=16762&media_id=16

For players that hated the town areas in the last game, Iizuka said the game will only have action stages, which looked to be fast pace like Sonic should be in the levels shown off.

source : http://www.411mania.com/games/previews/142901/E3-2010:-Sega-E3-Round-Up---Vanquish,-Sonic-Colors-and-Conduit-2.htm

Recent News :

Takashi iizuku producer of the game confirms chaos emeralds appearance in the game but does not confirm super sonic :

and the game encourages you to go back to previous levels to use the power-ups to explore new routes. I imagine this will be imperative to find the Chaos Emeralds, which Iizuka-san confirmed are in the game. When asked if the logical conclusion to their appearance in the game, Super Sonic, would appear he gave a revealing “no comment.”

Takashi Iizuka(producer of the game) also described the game as “the best of both worlds” :

to make it possible for fan feedback to meet the creators’ wishes halfway — “the best of both worlds” as he put it.

and he also confirms that the writers behind mad world are responsible for the script and story line of sonic colors both kids and adults would enjoy:

SEGA presents emphasized the story would be one kids and adults could enjoy as it was written by MadWorld writers, Kim Pontac and Warren Graff.

Takashi Iizuka also described sonic colors as the "mainstream sonic game" (I guess that means canon and not spin off):

The newest installment of the “mainstream 3D Sonic games” (producer Takashi Iizuka’s translated words),

Source : http://www.2d-x.com/e3-2010-sonic-colors-wii/

a developer who works at the game also mentioned that you could have the choice to complete the game without using a single wisp:

And choosing to use the powers is a big deal with the development team, to the point that they have afforded players the option to play through Sonic Colors without ever using a single power. They wanted to give players the option to play this title as a normal Sonic experience, with jumping puzzles and speed.

Confirmed that the leader boards will be available as mentioned before. the Ranking system would be much like Unleashed. Developers wants the stages to be shorter:

Scoring also came up as we did see a leaderboard with an S-ranking on it, and we were told that scoring would be a combination of items that ”might” include speed of level completion, points, shortcut usage and secret items found. None were guaranteed, but we were told scoring should be similar to Sonic Unleashed. Also, they are looking at having shorter stages, but making each level longer as a whole, designing around making it a more jump in and jump out gaming experience.

Source : http://www.aeropause.com/2010/06/e3-preview-sonic-colors-wii/

user AniHawk at Neogaf forums who went to E3 Previewed sonic colors and posted thoughts in the forums and information from what he/she played from sonic colors and events that occurred their , he also confirmed that a SEGA Guy told him that using wisps aren't necessary to finish the game:

there is not. the gimmicks this time are the powers, and you don't even need to use them to get through the game unless you want to unlock everything (according to the guy at the booth).

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398463&page=2

This Confirms that sonic colors would be amuzing for all players of all ages :

The first thing we were told about Sonic Colors is that it isn't the usual Sonic plot. Sega has gone out of its way to make the game amusing for players of all ages. Part of how they've done this is by hiring Ken Pontac and Warren Graff to work on the script for the Wii version. They've worked in a number of different shows, including "Lazytown" and "Happy Tree Friends." Sega fans however, will know them better as working on MadWorld. It's a strange choice, but it should lead to something that sits better with Western audiences.

this confirms that the Drill would also work a torpedo under water:

We're also told that the drill will work underwater, allowing Sonic to speed through those segments like a propeller.

Source : http://worthplaying.com/event/E3_2010/E3_2010_June_16/75028/

http://worthplaying.com/event/E3_2010/E3_2010_June_16/75028/

Edited by soinici
Modified the topic title. It was reaaaally stretching the tables on some of the skins.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, best of both worlds indeed. For the first time ever they're using a gimmick that actually enhances the speedy platforming instead of completely ruining it.

Nice find. It would be neat to play as Super Sonic for the first time in 3D stages.

Super Sonic pretty much confirmed then. Sweet! :D

When you think about it there are seven main sections all connected together on that map select screen thing. I'm guessing one emerald per planet, but I wonder what the other three places are. I'd guess the Metal Sonic head is the "final story" place, the Eggman train looks like a monorail system to get people from park section to park section so it might be how Sonic gets around, still not sure about the little satellite though.

SEGA presents emphasized the story would be one kids and adults could enjoy as it was written by MadWorld writers
This is a pretty surreal sentence.

Anyway, it's interesting (though certainly not surprising) to hear that the emeralds are in this. And that they won't comment on Super Sonic (though they certainly aren't obligated to do so) makes me wonder, Chaos Emeralds+Wisp color powers=Hyper Sonic, perhaps? Plus I'm wondering how we'll be collecting them this time, through the story or special stages or what.

• Thumbs Up 1

the story would be one kids and adults could enjoy as it was written by MadWorld writers, Kim Pontac and Warren Graff.

^ THIS!

Iizuka, I don't care what you are doing, but for the love of god put this as a motivational poster in every office and replace 'story' with every other crucial element of a Sonic game! Do it!

These are the very words I ALWAYS want to hear!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope people don't bitch about having to replay levels like they did with Sonic Rush Adventure. Though at least here new powers open up new paths. That's gotta be how they extend the game length a bit though. Once you beat all the stages you have to find all the hidden Chaos Emeralds in each stage to get the last story thing. That's how the Metal Sonic head thing unlocks, calling it. :P

Special stages would be cool but they seem unlikely. My guess is the emeralds are just hidden away in the levels and once you get the right wisp you can access them. Though the secret paths could lead to a special stage I'd say it will just be a scene of Sonic collecting the emerald. If the emeralds are all up there it would make more sense for Eggman to have hidden them up there instead of them being located in special stages.

Color me interested now... I told myself I would never make a comment like that, and look what I went and did. From the sound of things it's shaping up rather well, I'm hoping since the writers of MadWorld are making the story it won't be plagued by some cheesy dialogue, new voice, new writers, all they need now is not to include a monster of the week and provide good gameplay.

Edited by Silencer226

Developers delivered us an option to play without wisps as sonic unleashed day time levels Only :

And choosing to use the powers is a big deal with the development team, to the point that they have afforded players the option to play through Sonic Colors without ever using a single power. They wanted to give players the option to play this title as a normal Sonic experience, with jumping puzzles and speed.

http://www.aeropause.com/2010/06/e3-preview-sonic-colors-wii/

promising enough?

Edited by soinici

Developers delivered us an option to play without wisps as sonic unleashed day time levels Only :
I can imagine we're going to be hearing some complaints from people who tried to play without Wisps, to the effect of "there aren't any alternate paths!".

But hey, that sounds like good news to me.

Edit: Reading through that preview:

Scoring also came up as we did see a leaderboard with an S-ranking on it, and we were told that scoring would be a combination of items that ”might” include speed of level completion, points, shortcut usage and secret items found. None were guaranteed, but we were told scoring should be similar to Sonic Unleashed.
Sounds like the ranking system wasn't anywhere near complete, so there's no reason to worry about them being too easy in the final game. Edited by Diogenes

I hope people don't bitch about having to replay levels like they did with Sonic Rush Adventure.

Even if they don't, they'll still find something to bitch about. Calling it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can imagine we're going to be hearing some complaints from people who tried to play without Wisps, to the effect of "there aren't any alternate paths!".

But hey, that sounds like good news to me.

Edit: Reading through that preview:Sounds like the ranking system wasn't anywhere near complete, so there's no reason to worry about them being too easy in the final game.

Yeah , some one from SSMB said that he played the game at E3 And when he was surprised to beat the boss in 3 hits and a developer told him that the boss was taken this way to keep it in taste in E3.

so the ranking system might not be completed too.

well , it looks like izuku is treating the game as a major sonic title and its getting a little attention from the fans but More excitement of this title over sonic 4 episode 1.

Edited by soinici
  • Thumbs Up 1

All of this just makes me more interested in playing Colors, which is right below Epic Mickey on my list of Wii games I must have.

Getting the chaos emeralds in levels? Sounds like that's what the coins are for. Even if you simply get the Emerald by just getting the coins and skips over the special stage step (unlike what Sonic Advance 2 did), I'll be pleased, simply because it ensures a lot of replay value will be crammed into each level in addition to the many paths we only had a taste of in the E3 vids. BUT... with that said, I hope we get special stages xD though I don't have high-hopes for a playable Super Sonic. Then again, based on how much of a love letter to the fans this game is turning out to be, it'd be a kickass surprise.

And a plot that kids and adults can get into sounds awesome. I really would like the charm of Unleashed with the maturity of Adventure 2. It CAN work, and I'm sure the writers of Madworld are the guys to do it.

I'm pretty excited for this game :D And the fact that you don't even need the Wisps to get through the game makes it even better.

Edited by EXshad

more confirmation about Wisps that aren't necessary used to finish the game but this time its not from the producer nor the developer

its from the SEGA Booth guy.

user AniHawk at Neogaf forums who went to E3 Previewed sonic colors and posted thoughts in the forums and information from what he/she played from sonic colors and events that occurred their , he also confirmed that a SEGA Guy told him that using wisps aren't necessary to finish the game:

there is not. the gimmicks this time are the powers, and you don't even need to use them to get through the game unless you want to unlock everything (according to the guy at the booth).

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398463&page=2

any ways though , i think fans will complain about stages being boring without wisps because really i think the stages are going to be boring without using any wisp powers.

good thing the producer created the wisp idea it does make sonic unleashed day time levels a lot better.

Edited by soinici

Ya know, I don't think Sega really needs to aim towards making POWER-UPS of all things optional. They should be a crucial part of the game instead of a silly add-on like a shield. If they don't design the game to take full advantage of these power-ups, they're just gonna fall flat, and avert any fun or rewarding reason to use them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know, I don't think Sega really needs to aim towards making POWER-UPS of all things optional. They should be a crucial part of the game instead of a silly add-on like a shield. If they don't design the game to take full advantage of these power-ups, they're just gonna fall flat, and avert any fun or rewarding reason to use them.

Ah , well the game is called sonic colors for a reason.

its not aimed to be unleashed day time levels the devs like the colors power up idea and they want fans to accept it but so fans wouldn't complain they made it optional. easy they want to satisfy every one

Hence "Satisfy both worlds" satisfy the colors power up concept (i.e developers concept) and the sonic fans.

the developer them self who want colors power up (HENCE Title) but with the title , they are trying to satisfy every one and trying to make a new fun way for sonic without some one complaining if not Liking Them.

developers and producer wants the colors power up but fans might like it and others might disagree.

but even then colors power up are necessary to 100% complete the game and make it even more fun so non-wisp users will miss a lot of fun without wisps specially all they got to do is Run and quick step and jump and boost so kind of people who are so insisting on playing unleashed day time levels styles i think they are going to be bored and i think the level design (without wisps) wouldn't be the issue.

in the end fans would end up using wisps any ways , it brings a lot several short cuts (according to producer interview at sonic stadium) and a lot of secret to unlock.

Edited by soinici

I think it can swing both ways. The fact that they're optional means that the experience won't be bogged down for the Sonic player who just wants to dash through the levels with no strings attached, especially on subsequent playthroughs once the main campaign's done. Besides, the inherent fun in using the Wisps on their own as well as the fact that a lot of the levels and hidden content can only be accessed by Wisp powers should be enough motivation to persuade the player into using them regardless.

I think it can swing both ways. The fact that they're optional means that the experience won't be bogged down for the Sonic player who just wants to dash through the levels with no strings attached, especially on subsequent playthroughs once the main campaign's done. Besides, the inherent fun in using the Wisps on their own as well as the fact that a lot of the levels and hidden content can only be accessed by Wisp powers should be enough motivation to persuade the player into using them regardless.

Fair enough, just so long as they don't use this as an excuse to completely half ass the concept.

I have to disagree. After playing through SMG2, where the vast majority of powerups are there because they're required to continue/succeed, having powerups that are simply beneficial rather than essential is kind of refreshing. Rather than every affair being a matter of Tab A-Slot B (oh a fire flower guess I'll have to burn some boxes/ice, oh a spring shroom I guess I've got to do some high jumps), the Wisps give you more options; you can grab the laser to shoot up to a higher path, or the drill to dig for items and maybe a lower route, or just dash through the loop straight ahead. From what we've seen so far it's a nice twist on the classic Sonic sort of level design; rather than path splits being largely just a matter of deciding whether to jump and succeeding or failing the jump, the Wisps add more creative ways to get around. And it's not like they're as small a matter as S3&K's shields; the levels are packed with opportunities specifically designed for Wisp powers.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chaos Emeralds in a Sonic game?! Stop the presses! :P

I kid. Seriously, I hope the emeralds are hidden in the levels a la Sonic 1 and 2 on Game Gear. I love exploring levels for stuff.

Not too thrilled about Super Sonic returning, particularly since I'm sure he'll just be used for the final boss fight as per usual. Still, it looks Sonic Team is starting to mix things up a little bit, so who knows?

You can play without Wisps? Isn't that like playing without the boost in Unleashed... and missing the point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATOkLbZfLkY

Anyways, what about this video. Go to 1:15 and prepare to want to yell at the player. It really looks like you need Wisps to go forward. Maybe they're trying to present it as an open game by saying the Wisps aren't necessary. But it's not like the homing, I'm sure everyone likes the Wisps.

Edited by Dabnikz

Yes, while it's nice that they want to make the Wisps optional, according to that video it doesn't look like that will be the case. Unless they're planning to change the level design here.

P.S. @soinici: it's "Iizuka", not "izuku"

So people are actually satisfied with the wisps and don't ask for an option not to use it and they get one. Sonic 4 has people screaming for an option not to play with the homing attack adn they don't care.

Just to make clear that i'm loving how Sonic colors looks, just want to say that I wish sonic 4 had gotten the same treatment as this game.

So where's the whole "if you don't like it, don't use it" argument now ? "sigh

Just my two cents

Edit: Maybe the delay will fix a lota things who knows

Edited by Jaouad