Awoo.

Iizuka saying that Metal Sonic will not be in Sonic Colors, but something else, possibly new, is.

soinici

Though it has been stressed that the story will be something both kids and adults can get entertainment from. I wouldn't say the same thing about Sonic Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought Sonic 4 was considered Sonic Rush 3? :rolleyes:

Which game will be the better Sonic Rush 3? Only time will tell.

Which game will be the better Sonic Rush 3? Only time will tell.

Lets not even get into that debate.

It will only result in one huge argument between the optimists and pessimists.

More importantly it has nothing to do with Sonic Colours Wii; which I assume is the more important version.

I didn't like SU's script because it had this tendency to dump (boring) exposition at me for long periods of time every few levels. Really, how long does it take to say "These temples will fix the planet, go find them". Oh, and I really loved the way they decided to make that little purple guy who

the most important part of the story.

Frankly, given the writers for the game, I don't think we have that much to worry about.

I'm worried that all the game's humor is going to take the form of random lines spoken by an off screen character.

The tone of the game doesn't bother me one bit. Just have the tone be written WELL.

And, if there will be a new character other than the Wisps, then YES, YES, YEEESSS!!!

New characters?

Oh jeez... here we go.

FFFFFFF

Sonic Colors is intended to be much lighter in tone than some of the past games, with Izuka agreeing that it's much closer thematically to Sonic Heroes than Sonic Unleashed.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

"Ho-ho, hello there, Mr. Cycle! We speculated you might have died offscreen, but here you are, rolling your way back around as always."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

So Iizuka says it's a follow up to Unleashed but it's tone is most similar to Heroes? I'm so glad I haven't news'd any of this and now I'm definitely not going to. Every interview he's been making regarding Sonic Colours confuses me and has no consistency.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why is that confusing? SA2 > Heroes > Shadow. The tone kept changing dramatically there.

So Iizuka says it's a follow up to Unleashed but it's tone is most similar to Heroes? I'm so glad I haven't news'd any of this and now I'm definitely not going to. Every interview he's been making regarding Sonic Colours confuses me and has no consistency.

Yeah, I see what you mean there Shadzter. I mean.....

SEGA presents emphasized the story would be one kids and adults could enjoy as it was written by MadWorld writers, Kim Pontac and Warren Graff.

Sonic Colors is intended to be much lighter in tone than some of the past games, with Izuka agreeing that it's much closer thematically to Sonic Heroes than Sonic Unleashed.

....aren't these two things pretty contradicting?

Hopefully by closer to Heroes he means there won't be any "dark monster of doom" (excluding the final Metal Sonic fight from Heroes) with planets being blown up and it will be a simple yet well written (not cringe worthy) Sonic stopping Eggman from doing his evil shit plot. I mean a simple plot is alright as long as it isn't handled the same way the plot of Heroes was.

Its not gonna be that bad.

Like I said. The writers of Madworld, probably have too much dignity to write something as shit as Heroes' dialogue.

Seeing as they're literally writing everything in this game, I don't imagine it'll be too bad.

That article was written by a fool.

He said that the tone was similar to Heroes, then in the very next sentence, he said it would be suitable for kids and adults a like, and would likely not have horribly cringeworthy dialogue.

By Heroes, I assume there is little to no "MELODRAMA!!"

Why is that confusing? SA2 > Heroes > Shadow. The tone kept changing dramatically there.

I don't mean the change in tone is confusing, I mean he confuses me in how things are different in every interview.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

"Ho-ho, hello there, Mr. Cycle! We speculated you might have died offscreen, but here you are, rolling your way back around as always."

What? First we complain that the stories are getting all gritty and dark, AND NOW WE ARE COMPLAINING THAT SEGA ARE ACTUALLY HAVING LIGHTHEARTED STORIES?!

headdesk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

I think Pontac and the other dude have too much dignity to write something SO corny.

These guys wrote LazyTown. XD

What? First we complain that the stories are getting all gritty and dark, AND NOW WE ARE COMPLAINING THAT SEGA ARE ACTUALLY HAVING LIGHTHEARTED STORIES?!

Yeesh, for the SECOND time today my opinions are equated with everyone else's. For the record:

• I never disliked the gritty darkness of ShtH / '06 (just the shitty way in which they were implemented).
  • I never disliked Shadow being a Maria cultist.
  • I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

250px-Bill_Clinton.jpg

YOU BELIEVE ME RITE??

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 2

So Iizuka says that they're trying to make sure you can play through the game without ever using a color? I saw a guy run upon a place where he needed to use the drill to advance.

So Iizuka says that they're trying to make sure you can play through the game without ever using a color? I saw a guy run upon a place where he needed to use the drill to advance.

Yeah, I agree... still, it was the demo version, maybe it'll be different in the final version? Or perhaps that was just one of the many multiple paths the guy took; maybe if he took a different turn, he would have ended up on a route that didn't need the usage of a Wisp power-up.

I mean, it's possible, considering how expansive the levels look. Though, I'm not sure that excuses the "problem", if that's what it really even is! I mean, the Wisps as a whole just really seem to enhance the experience (better than any gimmick in the past 10 years, imo), so I can tolerate a couple areas where you're forced to use 'em :P

Edited by EXshad

Yeesh, for the SECOND time today my opinions are equated with everyone else's. For the record:

• I never disliked the gritty darkness of ShtH / '06 (just the shitty way in which they were implemented).
  • I never disliked Shadow being a Maria cultist.
  • I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

250px-Bill_Clinton.jpg

YOU BELIEVE ME RITE??

Well that was really...out of place.

But still funny. :lol:

Anyway, about the plot...

I don't think there's any complaining about light-hearted plots (the title's called Sonic COLORS for cryin out loud. We can assume we're not getting anything on par to SA2's take on dark plots). Rather that we don't want the cheeseball-ness that came from Heroes in terms of light-hearted stories. It's always Heroes or ShTH that represents the extreme in terms of tone.

headdesk.jpg

This is the Sonic fanbase, these things should be expected...though I wasn't expecting this. >3>

Move over...

headdesk.jpgheaddesk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kinda split on this whole "Sonic Heroes" theme thing. On one hand, I don't want another Sonic 06/Shadow. On the other hand, I don't want the game to be nearly as corny as Heroes. Mike Hayes saying that this game is targeted at 7-12 year olds (instead of everyone) also doesn't help. But then again, Iizuka did say it's a story kids and adults can enjoy...

Bah, whatever. The gameplay's still looking (and sounding) great, and that's the most important thing. So regardless of how cheesy the story might turn out, I'm still really looking forward to this game.

If you're talking about the video posted earlier (or Act 1 inthis video), then you can see that before the player got to the wall that was un-passable without drilling, he had already used the drill to take a lower path. So by that point, the game probably already assumes you're willing to use the Wisps and throws a few Wisp-related obstacles into your path. If the player stayed in the upper route, he probably would have been able to beat the level without Wisps.

Hmph. Heroes' story wasn't as terrible as it was because of its tone; it was terrible because it was incoherent, nonsensical and (for the most part) shoddily scripted. Those traits aren't inherent in even the lightest-toned stories; Heroes' story was so cheesy and sloppy because it was badly written, not because it was simple or lighthearted. I've never been the biggest fan of the series' darker installments (except ironically), so I can't count a lighthearted tone as a negative without evidence that the writing will actually be bad.

As for how well handled the game's story will be, I'm pretty optimistic. I personally like what little I've been able to hear of Eggman's commentary in Tropical Resort; it sounds like pretty natural and in-character stuff. Maybe that's partly because it was originally written in English and (obviously) didn't need to be translated; that'd certainly help to keep the game's comedy intact. I like almost everything I've heard about Colours' story, honestly.

No matter what people are saying about the story and where this is going, I'm fucking excited. "Happy Tree Friends" and Madworld are extremely hilarious, and they better not ease up the funny just because there can't be gore, X3

-Blur

If you're talking about the video posted earlier (or Act 1 inthis video), then you can see that before the player got to the wall that was un-passable without drilling, he had already used the drill to take a lower path. So by that point, the game probably already assumes you're willing to use the Wisps and throws a few Wisp-related obstacles into your path. If the player stayed in the upper route, he probably would have been able to beat the level without Wisps.

No, in the video I saw the guy got stuck at the spot where he gets the second drill wisp (at 1:04 in that video) and was unable to proceed. He never used a color.

So you can play through the game without using Wisps at all (or at least, for the most part)?

I'm happy with that, not because I'm a Wisp hater (I actually think they look really cool and gameplay-enhancing), but because it'll hopefully shut up a lot of people who will inevitably be like "lol teh wispz are teh gimmickz0r! dey willz ruin teh sawnik!". If this news is true and they find the Wisps ruin the game for them, then it'll be their own ruddy fault. The Wisps will only get in the way as much as you allow them too.

I don't mind odd instances like in the demo build where you have to use a Wisp though. I'm guessing as that was in the first level that was more of a "let's introduce you to the Wisps!" moment rather than "YOU MUST USE THE WISPS ALL THE TIME TO ADVANCE BWAHAHAHAHA".

Neat! Not having to use them will give it some extra replayability for me; it'll be fun to go through the levels with the wisps, then try to see if I can match the time without 'em.

EDIT:

And I think we all know where Metal Sonic is gonna appear... XD

Edited by Aptiva

No, in the video I saw the guy got stuck at the spot where he gets the second drill wisp (at 1:04 in that video) and was unable to proceed. He never used a color.

Yeah he did.

A 1:04, he's on a lower route than the main one.

The lower route requires a wisp, because you need a wisp to get down there. Check again. You'll see it.

He could have gone over the part where he was forced to use a wisp.

In any case, its not like its a bad thing. Most people who've played it, said it was fun.

So I ask you; where's the problem?