Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

20 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I know that you've said it's just a rumor and all but how is it Boom's failure the side result of it? If it was like say the multiple lawsuits and their financial struggles I would of been like yeah that's understandable. 

Boom's cancellation didn't even have anything to do with SEGA. IIRC, it was speculated the reason why it was cancelled and Mega Man was on hiatus was because of Archie's own fuck ups.

• Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, Soni said:

Welp, that's what happens when I don't read before I think and it also doesn't help that I'm in a pretty miserable mood right now. So yeah, nevermind my nonsense.

In all fairness, it's not that bad a response to make given all that has happened. Although, you did kinda overdo it a little. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If this rumor is baseless and you don't want it to sidetrack discuss,  why post it?

As a heads-up in case it's not so baseless so that people don't get blindsided like what happened with the lawsuit and reboot.

Better to get the info and potential shock out sooner than later.

Regarding the rumor, it definitely sounds off mentioning Boom and it's failure in Japan -- it's been known a long time that Sonic doesn't fare as well in Japan than he does in the west anyway, so Boom not doing well there isn't a surprise but it's irrelevant to Archie. Not to mention that if much of were even the case, Archie Sonic would've been canceled along time ago.

• Thumbs Up 5

24 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I know that you've said it's just a rumor and all but how is it Boom's failure the side result of it? If it was like say the multiple lawsuits and their financial struggles I would of been like yeah that's understandable. 

*Shrug* I wouldn't know why.

10 minutes ago, Ryannnumber1gamer said:

Boom's cancellation didn't even have anything to do with SEGA. IIRC, it was speculated the reason why it was cancelled and Mega Man was on hiatus was because of Archie's own fuck ups.

I think she was talking about the Boom brand as a whole not the comics. 

7 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Regarding the rumor, it definitely sounds off mentioning Boom and it's failure in Japan -- it's been known a long time that Sonic doesn't fare as well in Japan than he does in the west anyway, so Boom not doing well there isn't a surprise but it's irrelevant to Archie. Not to mention that if much of were even the case, Archie Sonic would've been canceled along time ago.

I think it's referring to its general failure, not just in Japan. Either way, quite a tangential reason.

Sooo, Sonic 290, am I right?

Let's start the good part: probably the best so far (not that is saying much), coloring is surprisingly good. I though that starting with CD opening would be shooting yourself in a foot, since it obviously will be inferior to animation, but it ends just in the right moment. Structure feels better then previous issues. Also, nice reference on tarot cards.

Putting Generations before is surprising. Why Flynn picked this moment, not after all classic games? That means that Sonic first meet Amy, Metal and Knuckles during Generations. Was there something that fit better that way? (Not complained, just confusion).

But the meat is characters and I have to say, this is most token Metal appearance so far in the Reboot. He's does everything he did in a game, but without any....energy if you know what I mean. He doesn't even look pissed as always. In few panels he's kinda dopey.

As for Amy, this is not how I imagined her first meeting with Sonic. I mean this should be big, right? Tails was so inspired when he first meet Sonic, Knuckles punched super out of him, Shadow owned Sonic with chaos control. Meanwhile Amy has a very calm conversation. You want to remove her obsessed love, fine, but at least she should be excited, not just "hi, nice to meet ya".

Lastly, I wonder if the story should end at Metal kidnapping Amy. Like I said, final chase doesn't feel that exciting and those 3 pages of Sonic running and explaining time stones feel really pointless. I feel like I understand time travel less that before I read it.

On the Amy meets Sonic part (haven't read the whole issue btw) I don't know, I kinda liked the casual "hi, nice to meet you" of Amy. Makes her more modest and offsets a lot of the obsessive attitude her character is generally stereotyped as. She already followed him this far, which is obsessive enough, so her not going too far with it made her seem more stable.

• Thumbs Up 4

There was orginally a longer post but to shorten it. 

Knuckles, shadow's, blaze, and silvers meetings with sonic weren't really a big deal. In a larger narrative sense sure, but to them, sonic was a dude in the way. And to shadow he's still that in many regards. Amy's meeting him for the first time, he's just a dude. a " hey whats up " will do. The only person who's sonic meeting is super important to really is like tails because he was inspired. Shadow, blaze, and silver all have other characters that they have greater actual connections to who their interactions were meaningful. Sonic is just... kind of some dude. And i'm ok with that , I don't need every meeting that sonic or some important character makes with a character to be monuments. Sometimes its just " get out of my way " or " hey whats up" and that's all it really needs to be. 

This isn't to say characters being aware of other characters and making it moments can't be fun. I would like a arc about relic getting a bunch of her archaeologist friends to bother knuckles about his island. Or a kid inspired by tails to go into mechanics. Or on the opposite end, people knowing about shadow's reputation and freaking their shit. I can imagine a situation where an eggboss sees shadow and eggman is like " stand down, you'll die" . And one aleady featured with the group that modeled themselves after the sonic ff. Those hypothetical and actual situations are cool. 

But sometimes its a lot simpler than that, its fine. Sonic's just a dude. 

I thought Amy's more subdued greeting might be because she was exhausted from the climb.

As for Boom in Japan, I'm surprised it's not bigger over there, given they inexplicably  adored Donkey Kong Country. Maybe the animation and character models aren't bad enough, or it needs more musical numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, there's one reason I'm seeing this as not being true. Boom's getting a JP dub, and that was literally confirmed within the last two weeks. Why would SEGA be ready to destroy all of the Boom sub-series, and go even further to end a 20 year old comic book when they're ready to dub and air the series in Japan anyway?

• Thumbs Up 5

The thing about that is, we're talking about SEGA. They have a history of odd decisions.

That said, I do kinda doubt it's going to happen, but if it does...well, I think the book had a good run. Lots of highs and lows, sure, but at least the past ten years or so were...mostly good! It'd be a bummer to say goodbye, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just my luck that things start to fall apart when I decide to get back into the comics. I suppose I better ramp up my collecting. I'd hate for the digital back issues to disappear before I have a chance to grab everything.

Personally though, I'm not inclined to believe this rumour just yet. I full understand Sega of Japan's desire to clean house after the whole Sonic Boom fiasco; I believe that's what the whole downsizing and relocation of Sega of America was all about. Even so, I don't think that same logic has to necessarily apply to Archie Comics. Overall, the Sonic comics have been making a tidy profit for 20 years now. There's no reason to cancel the licence now when the comics are already primed to follow the games' canon as much as possible.

Besides, the comics are gearing up for a new Freedom Fighter centric story arc. That says to me that Archie is still planning for the long term, that they believe the Sonic comics still have a future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, this rumour seems like hogwash.  The comics aren't being arranged such that they're setting up an ending at, say, #300, not even of the last-hurrah or our-adventure-continues form, which makes it seem like this would have to be a very recent decision; however, SoJ's strong-arming of the franchise and streamlining process is not recent at all.  It's been over two years since Rise Of Lyric and the general Boom fiasco, and the aftermath of that is basically over and done with.  SoA has already downsized and moved, what's probably the final Boom game is out after having been delayed a whole year, and what may be the final series of the cartoon is airing after what will have been a lengthy period of production; Archie cancelled its own Boom comic itself, apparently, ages ago.  Why would the order from on high to shut down Archie Sonic come down now - after everything else is cut and dried, and at a time when the comic is not just settled, but in a successful position, not least after the well-received Mega Drive comics?  If Archie Sonic can survive the Penders fiasco, which it had everything to do with, it can survive the failure of the Boom initiative, which it had essentially nothing to do with.  And besides, if Sega was trying to essentially cut all ties with the west, we wouldn't have Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

There was originally a longer post but to shorten it. 

Knuckles, shadow's, blaze, and silvers meetings with sonic weren't really a big deal. In a larger narrative sense sure, but to them, sonic was a dude in the way. And to shadow he's still that in many regards. Amy's meeting him for the first time, he's just a dude. a " hey whats up " will do.

1 Knuckles believed him to be  threat to his island, Silver believed him to be Iblis Trigger, that's more that "just dude". And Amy believed him to be the Destined Hero of her Dreams.

2 But even then, I'm talking about larger narrative sense. Shadow holding that emerald and making speech about unlimited power is a classic scene, remembered by fans. I suppose there is nothing wrong about making it humble, with no fireworks, it's just...read that issue again, but try to erased everything you know about Amy and and pretend you see her for a first time. Why is she following Sonic anyway? She's not in love, she's not a fan girl, she's just... I don't know a cheerful tourist. She won meeting win a celebrity in a lottery and tries to make most out of it. it's just weird that 8 years old meeting Sonic is for a first time is much calmer that 12 years old Amy meeting Honey.

13 hours ago, Wraith said:

If this rumor is baseless and you don't want it to sidetrack discuss,  why post it?

To fear monger basically.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

To fear monger basically.

Yeah we all just decided to wake up today and thought, you know, those Archie comic fans, wouldn't it be a good idea to try and scare them?

• Thumbs Up 6

What? This Archie Sonic ending rumor sounds even less sense than the "Boom being canned" one. Why would Sega of Japan want to get rid of a 20+ year old comic franchise over Sonic Boom, a spin-off series with little to no relation to Archie?

Safe to say that this rumor is false until we hear an official statement from Sega and Archie. Still, it wouldn't sound any less ridiculous if this rumor was true anyway. 

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1 Knuckles believed him to be  threat to his island, Silver believed him to be Iblis Trigger, that's more that "just dude". And Amy believed him to be the Destined Hero of her Dreams.

Eh, the first one could have been anyone. The 2nd one is a pretty valid point. And the 3rd one is something everyone thinks of everyone they like when they get their first crush, doesn't really make you or that person any special. In fact now that I think about it, it makes the fact that it was unceremonious even funnier. 

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

2 But even then, I'm talking about larger narrative sense. Shadow holding that emerald and making speech about unlimited power is a classic scene, remembered by fans. I suppose there is nothing wrong about making it humble, with no fireworks, it's just...read that issue again, but try to erased everything you know about Amy and and pretend you see her for a first time. Why is she following Sonic anyway? She's not in love, she's not a fan girl, she's just... I don't know a cheerful tourist. She won meeting win a celebrity in a lottery and tries to make most out of it. it's just weird that 8 years old meeting Sonic is for a first time is much calmer that 12 years old Amy meeting Honey.

She think's she's a cool dude. That's all It really needs to be, Omega just thinks shadow is cool and follows him around. Sometimes folks just think folks are cool. As far as honey, given the fact that honey is literally a reference to another franchise a very very dead one. I really wouldn't put it past that just being a in reference as to having this character be famous, because in real life... they aren't actually that famous they are apart of a dead franchise. 

I never listen to rumor-type posts unless they have a valid and persuasive source & evidence, because anyone can say anything without any risk. I mean, "Boom not doing good" and "SoJ not caring of Archie" may make sense separately, but connecting those two into "Sega failed to sell the spinoff series so they want Archie to quit selling the main series (that they want to promote)" doesn't make sense. At least to me.

Also it is a little funny to hear SoJ assume Boom is failing when they were just doing a campaign promoting and selling Boom for the Anniversary. Or canning Archie since they were also recently showing the Archie comics on the Japanese twitter ("this is Sonic overseas!") and letting people read them in one of the events (not selling them or giving them away for free; also not translated, just looking at the arts I guess).

• Thumbs Up 6

22 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah we all just decided to wake up today and thought, you know, those Archie comic fans, wouldn't it be a good idea to try and scare them?

Ok no I'm sorry but Bullshit. You guys even said the rumor was most likely false and yet you decided to share it and get people worked up how the hell is that not Fear mongering?

Because the intent wasn't to get anyone worked up in the first place. Just to inform them.

You blew it out of context.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, considering they told about StH having some smaller stories for now I'm not that surprised about the #293 though it sounds a bit (too much?) Boomish Eggman-vise.Oh, that SU #96 seems interesting, hopefully Blaze isn't so sidelined this time, on the other words I hope the cast is kept small enough for one(?) issue.

Also, this might be a conspiracy theory of sorts, but have you noticed the alphabetical order they have going on in SU considering appearances for FF? I call the next one would be Rotor By this since I'm pretty sure he and Sally are the ones left due to the fact Nicole had her own arc not so long ago. And now that I'm on it, when I saw that post about pairing Sally with Team Dark I felt it would be funny to see Rotor with Silver... Please, don't throw those pointy things, they're too sharp for me...

Oh, and while I remember, the talk about the plot of Free Riders, I suppose this sums it up pretty well:

(And if I've got it right that buttsex-obsession was just trying to be a clever way of show how unnaturally obsessed everybody was acting towards Sonic...)

(And yes, I'm one of those who'll get their copy of GoaH part 3 later, me because flights this time of a year are a mess fo a week... Maybe next week... next year actually...)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2016 at 4:22 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Okay, so we've been sitting on this for over three days now, but we might as well throw it out now so you can be prepared if you look elsewhere and see murmurs of it.

In basic terms, what happened is this; a source (that isn't 4chan, I've seen them talk about it there though) is claiming that the Sonic comic will be completely cancelled soon. This is due to Sonic Boom's failure resulting in SEGA Japan strong-arming the franchise again and wanting to streamline the franchise, with Archie Sonic being an outlier so they've ordered Archie to cease production on it.

As of now, this is just a rumour. Sonic #290 came out today, so it can be assumed nothing's happening in the immediate short term. And as of now, there's no real evidence to indicate this being the situation. So please, don't let it sidetrack discussion, and just assume it's simply hot air (unless something happens in the future that rapidly changes the situation).

I guess since its "hot air" and Archie is still clearly putting out future release solicts coupled with Ian's recent comments on the matter, you can name your source so everyone can make their own decision? Or they can at least join an official forum like this one and explain their case?

Just feels like everytime the comic is gaining some type of steam, SINCE the lawsuit, a "source" comes out of the woodwork to throw baseless speculation into the gears and we watch fans run with it. Now I'm not saying VEDJ-F had this intention and she just wanted to report its out there. But it still comes down to the WHO is speaking the rumor  

I had a, lets say "interesting" conversation, with a gentleman on Twitter awhile back who had "facts" but no sources aside from a flawed website but truely believed he knew/wanted the book to go down in flames. Now that does sound like someone who would want to throw out a rumor just to watch the world burn. 

To me: no source, no story.