Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Holy shit, this is freaking sad if this is true. The Archie comics has been despite their shortcomings, one of the main aspects of the Sonic franchise. and was one of the most, if not the most popular and successful video game adaptation out there, and it has introduced a lot of people to the world of Sonic and made them fans of the hedgehog as well. and what sucks even more, is that this is happening right as the reboot was starting to get really good. (Why does this "end it right when it starting to get good" trend keep happening with Sonic?) but let's not pretend that this was inevitable, from the Graphic Novel madness, to Boom's sudden end as a comic book run, the legal issues with Fulop, and just Sega not caring about it anymore. Seriously after the whole Ken Penders madness and now scott fulop, I can understand why Sega and Archie would just want to torch and forget the comics at this point. but honestly I feel bad most for Ian flynn and the current team, seriously now why there decisions were questionable at times, they had something that no other team prior to them had... Passion they were all passionate about the franchise, and was always speaking and mindful with the fans, throwing several nods to both the fandom and the franchise in general. (Hell it even had callbcks to Sega's other IPs at times.) and has done a arguably better job with some characters then Sega has in the past 5 years, (Knuckles, Amy, Big and Silver being notable mentions.) and the comics whatever they were good or bad, expanded Sonic's world giving it a lore and culture in ways that the games simply did not. (Both the original run and the Reboot ) so if this is true, then I hope the current team has many opportunities upon them in the future. because they truly deserve it. and as for the comics themselves if it is true...

Sayonara...Archie Sonic... 

Rest easy, heroes...

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't really follow the comics because I live in germany, it's not a thing here...but I have followed the penders case and everything that happened with the comics. I do think that SEGA simply doesn't want to mess around with such things anymore.

SEGA is on the right track nowadays regarding Sonic - at least does it look like that, we still have to wait for the next two games to be released. I think that the theory, that they want another publisher for the comics, which is more reliable, might be the cleverest choice for them.

Heck, maybe they even want to turn the mega drive comics into a new regular series. I have read both, they were outright amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The comic getting picked up by a better publisher would be good news in the long run, but the story would probably be retooled entirely. 

I wonder if they'll even bother with another publisher to begin with. There just isn't a ton of money in comics nowadays.

This is kind of a bittersweet moment for me. On one hand, I've been following this comic since it started. On the other hand though, I feel like at this point it almost seems tiring reading them.

The quality of the stories definitely went up since Flynn took over, but I feel the stories drag on for forever and they're too safe and similar for me to care about them.

Even Mega Drive feels like the same story every time Archie tries to do a "game adaptation" like Genesis or that little Sonic 1 story in the X series.

Also keeping the elements of the Freedom Fighters/Satam at the front of the story even after the reboot really turned me off the comic. I just felt like it was a good chance at a fresh start without getting dragged down by what came before it.

I know people really like those elements and the current staff. But if this series really got cancelled, and Sega does get a new license with someone else, then I hope they start with a new staff and new story.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is upsetting to me. I really, really wanted to get back into the comics because I've been behind as of late.

Like others, I at least hope SEGA gets a company like IDW to pick up where Archie left off. At least then we can get some cool crossovers from it.

I don't really expect Archie to comment on anything that's happening internally. Do most companies do so when they're fucking up? I mean, look at what happened with Mega Man. I legitimately believed the hiatus was a thing, going as far as defending them at the time it was announced, but as time has gone on, and the Action line has just kinda did what it did, the window has gotten a lot narrower, if not completely closed, for that book coming back. I wouldn't have believed it a few weeks ago, but with all the weirdness that has been going on, I'd have to admit Penders may have a point about Archie hedging all their bets on Riverdale and their own books. You know, stopped clocks and all that. And if SEGA, after seeing all the trouble this company has gotten into, especially over their own property, I wouldn't blame them for just packing up their shit and moving on.

The only silver lining, assuming SEGA wants to keep the comic alive, is the thought of IDW picking up the license and actually continuing what was being done at Archie (minus the bullshit) and bringing on the same creative team to continue the series. It's a little farfetched, I suppose, but it's something I'd like to see. And, hey, Ian Flynn already has a working relationship with IDW (TMNT Amazing Adventures). Probably shouldn't hold my breath, as SEGA may very well clamp down and want something more game-oriented, and while I'm sure that would appeal to a lot of people and could even be good with the right team on board, I'm afraid that isn't for me. So, that happens, I'm probably done, I dunno.

Ugh.... I hate being all doom and gloomy. Please be a false alarm

This is really depressing to me, honestly. I started reading the Archie comics starting from the first Sonic and Megaman crossover, and let me say that they're the best piece of Sonic media that exists today.

The games were mediocre, the entire Sonic Boom series I didn't care about, and Sega didn't care about giving us a decent story in the games anymore. Instead they wanted to make Sonic a Mario clone.

The comics though, were amazing. Every character is just as good as you remember them, each have their own motivations and goals, and each get their own time to shine. Unlike the games were it's only focused on Sonic and Eggman.

I own 4 issues of the series, I wish I bought more but they're pretty hard to find in my country. I hope that this is not a cancellation, but instead just a hiatus.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not giving that vile idiot any sort of credit, Hell I could've made guesses based on whats happening and probably could've been right. Last thing I want to see is that bastard getting an "I was right!!" award and proclaiming he could've saved the comic and so forth, his smug ass is probably going to do it anyways though.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Has Archie commented yet. Normally a company would be quick to debunk this kind of rumour if incorrect. 

Their pretty slow on confirming things officially, you have better luck checking if the subscribers got any emails about their subs for Sonic first. it took them about a week to confirm that Megaman was going "On hiatus" the emails came before that.

2 hours ago, Nerfuffle said:

I don't have a clue what's actually happening, so I probably shouldn't say anything.

Hopefully you and the other artists and maybe Ian can speak soon Diana.

• Thumbs Up 2

If this turns out to be true and someone else doesn't pick up the title (and I certainly hope they do), I would at least hope we might be able to get the next issue of the comic and the next issue of Mega Drive. It would be a near-perfect note to end on, and I'd feel content at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I for one want whoever picks up the liscence (assuming it is cancelled) to continue where things left off. Really sick of things ending ubruptly and no doubt no one who has stuck around would want to lose any of their favorite characters outside of the game cast--and I'd like to think that whoever does take up on it can recognize that.

But that's if SEGA really wanted to strongarm things to the way they demand and delete everything. I'm not as big on the games for storytelling and characterization as I used to be since they've just been all over the place while I know many have flocked to Archie for that consistency as well as seeing old favorites from the 90s still living, and this would suck if we went without that given all the effort that had been put into this new world for Sonic.

I'm hoping for that to be the better outcome, but being in the dark just isn't fun.

• Thumbs Up 8

SU so close to 100, main comic so close to 300... still waiting for the finale to Mega Drive...

can we at least wrap those up? ;_;

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm just going to point this out. But no one should be giving Penders credit whatsoever for guessing this. He's literally said like five times already that "this year will be the year Archie Sonic ends!" Including times where he said it would be because Boom will completely replace the main series, and other such times. If this does turn out to be true, it's nothing about him being "insightful" or "knowing more than we gave him credit for". It's him saying the same shit he said every year, and because of the law of averages, happened to get it right this year. It's the same way if you kept saying "This is the year *insert MMO* closes it's door" every single year, you'll be right at some stage.

It's less that I'm saying he's insightful (he isn't) and more that well, he'd be technically correct for a change in spite of his usual extreme, tinfoil-hat theories and wild-mass-guessing (though not on the solution, which we all know what his solution is). It's not even giving him credit, more using him saying it as an example. Like I said, stopped clocks :P(inb4 I get screenshotted for twitter again and taken out of context lol).

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

SU so close to 100, main comic so close to 300... still waiting for the finale to Mega Drive...

can we at least wrap those up? ;_;

I don't follow the main comic or SU, but I swear to god if they don't publish the last part of Mega Drive I will never stop being salty goddammit

Its possible they, being SEGA talking to Archie or vice versa, could be waiting on an announcement to see if something could be negotiated. everthing is pretty damned close to an anniversary number, the final chapter of Megadrive the 300th issue of STH and the 100th of SU.

If some temporary agreement can be made to finish up the comic's story within those issues then at least some closure can be made, unlike the last time.

Just now, Zaysho said:

It's less that I'm saying he's insightful (he isn't) and more that well, he'd be technically correct for a change in spite of his usual extreme, tinfoil-hat theories and wild-mass-guessing (though not on the solution, which we all know what his solution is). It's not even giving him credit, more using him saying it as an example (inb4 I get screenshotted for twitter again and taken out of context lol).

I'm not saying you said that. I'm just pointing this out because if it does end up happening, I can end up seeing people come in and say that shit about Penders, which at this point, it's just him getting lucky that it's this year that makes what he says true. Even him being technically right is again law of averages. Everything else is still his bullshit mass-guessing that he constantly uses to try justify his own nonsense.

Honestly, I don't know why SEGA just couldn't let them finish off the runs up to 300 and SU 100. I wonder if the comic does end up ending, if that means LHT will be continued.

• Thumbs Up 2

People say at least get to 300 you know what your basically asking for us another near year worth of issues. There is noting really to final off honestly.its a good dropping off point. If this is the end though I'd at least like to know why eventually

While you're advertising comics, perhaps you could put out a word about how the subscriptions are down, or give us some word one way or the other.

Naw naw, it's fine, previews is fine.

Just now, Meta77 said:

People say at least get to 300 you know what your basically asking for us another near year worth of issues. There us noting really to final off honestly.its a good dropping off point

How the fuck is Part 3 of a 25th Anniversary arc a good place to stop?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

While you're advertising comics, perhaps you could put out a word about how the subscriptions are down, or give us some word one way or the other.

Naw naw, it's fine, previews is fine.

The advertising team are probably under strict NDA, they probably can't even do basic customer service for the Archie comics themselves. don't expect anything from that account until the higher ups give the okay.

Like I said, keep an eye on your emails. subscribers would be notified first if anything is going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 3