Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

29 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair about romance.. .it was never prominent in the series to begin with. Amy's was nothing but a joke, and rouge liking knuckles was never really a thing. Ian said himself he thinks its something that was kind of in sa2 that everyone just took too far. And the closest thing rouge had to any type of actual romance to anyone in the games is the " i would follow you anywhere" line she says to shadow. And that isn't really much. There is blaze and sonic, and that isn't too much either. If anything them removing romance was them going back to the norm tbh. The largest attempt they had at this was sonic 06 in regards to elise... and we saw what happened with that. 

For the Amy part, like I said, Sonic X took Amy's crush a bit more seriously than other places, down to having moments of downtime for Sonic and Amy to talk and that hint in one of the last episodes (of the initial run). Not so much in the games at the time because either Amy was being ramped up in stalker factor due to the tone being less serious (Heroes, Battle) or the games didn't focus on her at all at the time (Shadow, Sonic 06), so they managed to at least avoid it.

Ian's actually wrong on Rouge's crush on Knuckles being just a fan thing, as she was explicitly stated to have one on the old Sonic Central website. so there was "canon" word on it (even though the American side were and are notorious for changing little details like that). Sonic Central's heyday was between 2004-2005, which is again before 2006 came along and just invalidated that. Also Rouge's line to Shadow can easily be read as more comradely than romantic to be fair. 

Not going to dispute Sonic and Elise being the largest attempt though, because they just hit the players over the head with that one. 

While boom may be a different branch entirely I believe, its been hit with mandates from the get go. While its a different thing, even during the development phase the creators could no just go willy nilly, but they did have a bit more freedom. Though that was quickly taken away in some regards, I think one of the pieces of proof of this is , the fact that one of the writers on twitter in regards to the last episode of last season strait up said he was kind of afraid to write an episode about shadow, and at first said it was impossible. And Ian talking about what he wanted to do with the boom comic at the time but had no actual idea what was going with the character and just stopped. While yes they can get away with things, I believe there are rules, they might be reigning them in a bit more. 

I never said there were no rules (otherwise we'd have one of those weird not-Sonic looking concept designs instead of what we have now for one), just different rules. And even with these different rules there are likely certain facets they want to keep consistent across the board, hence why even in Boom you're not likely to see anything like Hawaiian Shadow. Still, there are some things the show has done that the games would probably not let pass. 

Comic book amy is miles better than game amy, so if that's controversial it upsets me. 

Like yeah I didn't like what she said, but she was out of character. Most game amy is god awful, it was because I didn't like on an ideological level agree with amy. But like Sega should learn from portrayals like that

I meant that me saying that Amy being supportive of Knuckles is OoC is controversial, because I do know that people like that. There's a difference between wanting it to be how game Amy is (like you're doing, and that's perfectly fine) and saying that it matches with how game Amy is (because quite frankly she's never particularly shown to care for Knuckles in similar moments in the games). 

Archie fans are sick of what exactly, i'm just confused on your wording is all. 

Sick of people saying that having the FFs there and be prominent isn't enough like the games. Because it is said quite a lot. Unfortunately, as said before, it's a serious thing to note in a hypothetical discussion like this. 

7 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Is it true that Silver has only interacted with Sonic? I hadn't noticed. Perhaps that's something that could be improved either way.

In terms of other Sonic game characters yeah, and even that was only in the Worlds Unite prologue. Otherwise it's been Gold, Von Schlemmer, the council of doom or the Maverick Hunters from the Megaman X games. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I never said there were no rules (otherwise we'd have one of those weird not-Sonic looking concept designs instead of what we have now for one), just different rules. And even with these different rules there are likely certain facets they want to keep consistent across the board, hence why even in Boom you're not likely to see anything like Hawaiian Shadow. Still, there are some things the show has done that the games would probably not let pass. 

Oh of course, though I think the show was hit with different rules as time went by. Particularly with shadow oddly enough. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I meant that me saying that Amy being supportive of Knuckles is OoC is controversial, because I do know that people like that. There's a difference between wanting it to be how game Amy is (like you're doing, and that's perfectly fine) and saying that it matches with how game Amy is (because quite frankly she's never particularly shown to care for Knuckles in similar moments in the games). 

Amy's kind of a legitimate jerk to knuckles in the games.She was kind of a jerk to knuckles again when boom started up. It always felt out of character to me, and this is a sega thing. She or at least to me, seemed like she would have no reason to hate knuckles. She's pretty nice to shadow, and I can easily see her having a lot more reason to come to ideological odds with shadow. And just generally not liking him , I wish they kind of explored that in the comic. 

But to get back to point yeah I wasn't really fond of her hostility towards knuckles to be honest. Not everything in sonic has to have some justification, but it just seemed... there. Like they wanted to add something to her character... but had no reason to add that specific thing. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sick of people saying that having the FFs there and be prominent isn't enough like the games. Because it is said quite a lot. Unfortunately, as said before, it's a serious thing to note in a hypothetical discussion like this. 

I'm sorry to say, I do agree with that. TBH. 

It kind of stings to not have seen blaze for a hot minute, and then we see blaze with bunny front and center on the cover. But sega doesn't care about blaze either, so for her it wouldn't have made a difference tbh. If the comic gets canceled it will sting that they had shadow start a story line, not address it and have him die for a weird crossover only for it never to be finished. While I might not be so... extreme as some might be with this same opinion. I do agree, I came here for game dudes, its what I want.  Back in the day some of the stories interested me in the archie guys, but a lot of the FF at least, it interests me a whole deal less. 

3 hours ago, Borvoc said:

If it's the FF and legacy characters that Sega doesn't want in the comics, then I'd be sad to see them go. I wish Sega would capitalize more on them (the legacy characters specifically, where copyright allows) instead of pretending they don't exist because they haven't been in a recent game, as I think they add a lot of flavor to Sonic's world. I can, however, understand Sega not wanting the comic to advertise characters that Sega doesn't own. Maybe they could take ownership of the FF or have Archie get rid of them and tell them that any new characters they create belong to Sega (if that's even a thing that could be done). Yeah, that's probably a long shot.

But Sega already owns the FF last I remember.

They own the entire comic branch, characters, setting, and all. So it isn't a case of them not wanting to advertise characters they don't own.

And (this isn't directed to you Borvoc) if it's a matter of the game cast not interacting enough, then a simple solution would be to just make plots that involve more of the game cast. No need to throw away the non-game cast or render them permanently as background characters, and I'm sure Archie fans wouldn't mind at all so long as it doesn't come at the price of completely disregarding other characters like the FF entirely given that they're far more tolerant than most fans regarding which character gets focus as long as they can still have the things they like have prominent moments too. Unlike other groups out there, Archie fans are very willing to share so long as others do as well, hence why they're sick of hearing about how the things they like aren't enough like the games and get up in arms if something implies their removal.

Although I would rather they not do that Team Sonic crap that the games have locked into people's minds--I kinda like having the cast mixed up and keeping characters like Knuckles as an individual instead of someone needed to complete a pointless trio because its expected.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

They own the entire comic branch, characters, setting, and all. So it isn't a case of them not wanting to advertise characters they don't own.

They might own it. They might not be fond of it anymore, or maybe they havent been for a while

And (this isn't directed to you Borvoc) if it's a matter of the game cast not interacting enough, then a simple solution would be to just make plots that involve more of the game cast.

I would like the game cast interacting with more non game characters actually. There are a few characters particularly  knuckles , shadow ( and the rest of team dark), blaze and silver I think should be interacting with the world more. But that's just me

No need to throw away the non-game cast or render them permanently as background characters,

eh, I wouldn't say that, as a company I could totally see them wanting their guys to be front and center. Boom does this by designating most other folks as villagers. It might for some , but i get it.

and I'm sure Archie fans wouldn't mind at all so long as it doesn't come at the price of completely disregarding other characters like the FF entirely given that they're far more tolerant than most fans regarding which character gets focus as long as they can still have the things they like have prominent moments too.

Unlike other groups out there, Archie fans are very willing to share so long as others do as well, hence why they're sick of hearing about how the things they like aren't enough like the games and get up in arms if something implies their removal.

I wouldn't speak for all archie fans. 

Although I would rather they not do that Team Sonic crap that the games have locked into people's minds--I kinda like having the cast mixed up and keeping characters like Knuckles as an individual instead of someone needed to complete a pointless trio because its expected.

I feel you, Team dark to this day kind of makes no sense besides " these characters are on a team, cuz reasons" 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

They might own it. They might not be fond of it anymore, or maybe they havent been for a while

I'm pretty sure they own it, and given the mandates they're showing some fondness to it. Maybe not in a way many fans of the comic would appreciate, but enough to let it be its own thing for a while.

eh, I wouldn't say that, as a company I could totally see them wanting their guys to be front and center. Boom does this by designating most other folks as villagers. It might for some , but i get it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Boom and I'm certainly not a fan of designating known major characters as tertiary side pieces. And as a company, Sega has a problem with either trying to please everyone, not knowing how to focus their ideas, and sometimes caving in to some of the most bigoted and scapegoating criticisms that would leave other fans left out of the things they've wanted to see. So forgive me if I say screw what they want to force front and center if it's done in poor taste, because they tend to not have their head straight in a lot of ways that even loyal fans groan at.

I wouldn't speak for all archie fans. 

I was comparing them to other groups in the fandom. Due to the flexible nature of the comic, they're far less of a purist about what they believe should go in or stay out, and are more tolerant of characters they don't care about as oppose to other factions that foam at the mouth if they were to see them in their parts of the fandom. And as such, they're more willing to share their universe with others so long as that general sentiment is given back in return. You don't hear fans of the FF, for example, complaining about predominantly game characters taking the center stage in the Fighters arc or them not being focused on in the other arcs when it isn't their time to shine -- remove them from the comic or permanently reduce them to background cheerleaders and then they'll definitely rage.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm pretty sure they own it, and given the mandates they're showing some fondness to it. Maybe not in a way many fans of the comic would appreciate, but enough to let it be its own thing for a while.

fondness and letting it exist because it might keep netting them some dough and could be decent advertisement and keeping the moniker of " longest running  comic title " are different things. I'm not one to confuse business practice for compassion when i'm not given explicit implication. 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Boom and I'm certainly not a fan of designating known major characters as tertiary side pieces.

Who in particular might you be talking about, because depending who you are speaking on I may agree or disagree with you

And as a company, Sega has a problem with either trying to please everyone, not knowing how to focus their ideas, and sometimes caving in to some of the most bigoted and scapegoating criticisms that would leave other fans left out of the things they've wanted to see.

This is true. 

So forgive me if I say screw what they want to force front and center if it's done in poor taste, because they tend to not have their head straight in a lot of ways that even loyal fans groan at.

This is fair

I was comparing them to other groups in the fandom. Due to the flexible nature of the comic, they're far less of a purist about what they believe should go in or stay out, and are more tolerant of characters they don't care about as oppose to other factions that foam at the mouth if they were to see them in their parts of the fandom.

You should speak for all those people, its anecdotal, you at least feel that way and its fine. But that ain't everyone, and i've every much experienced the people you say don't exist. 

And as such, they're more willing to share their universe with others so long as that general sentiment is given back in return. You don't hear fans of the FF, for example, complaining about predominantly game characters taking the center stage in the Fighters arc or them not being focused on in the other arcs when it isn't their time to shine

1) I have seen such complaints

2) Complaining characters aren't getting enough time, I feel is a completely fine criticism. And even more so than that saying " its not their time" doesn't really satiate anyone nor is an actual answer. And in regards to this comic, if it is to end. Right now, all the people who make the complainant about bunches of game characters ( its usually revolves around Amy knuckle shadow blaze ect) not enough to to handle their business, would be correct. The comic would be over, you then can't say " its not their time" it should have been their time before the comic was over. 

Now we don't if the comic is ending soon. But if it does, those were correct. They did not get what they wanted , and now they can't. 

-- remove them from the comic or permanently reduce them to background cheerleaders and then they'll definitely rage.

Oh i'm sure. 

Yeah, I wouldn't call it SoJ showing some fondness to the comic either. It's more like they've been tolerating it doing its own thing as long as they do what they say when the time calls for it. 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

fondness and letting it exist because it might keep netting them some dough and could be decent advertisement and keeping the moniker of " longest running  comic title " are different things. I'm not one to confuse business practice for compassion when i'm not given explicit implication.

Much of which, I didn't even say. So not sure what you're trying to get at here.

You should speak for all those people, its anecdotal, you at least feel that way and its fine. But that ain't everyone, and i've every much experienced the people you say don't exist. 

And where exactly did I say anything about people I've said who didn't exist? What are you even talking about at this point?

1) I have seen such complaints

Show me.

2) Complaining characters aren't getting enough time, I feel is a completely fine criticism. And even more so than that saying " its not their time" doesn't really satiate anyone nor is an actual answer. And in regards to this comic, if it is to end. Right now, all the people who make the complainant about bunches of game characters ( its usually revolves around Amy knuckle shadow blaze ect) not enough to to handle their business, would be correct. The comic would be over, you then can't say " its not their time" it should have been their time before the comic was over. 

Now we don't if the comic is ending soon. But if it does, those were correct. They did not get what they wanted , and now they can't. 

Just because people didn't "get what they wanted" does not mean they're correct. That literally makes zero sense--that would be like saying those who were blaming characters like Shadow being around were ruining the quality of the games, which we know is nonsense that has no correlation to what is going on.

If they don't get what they want, then that just means they're just out of luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Way to many wall of text. Just a short question. Has archie said anything about the comic status yet?

As far as I can tell, no.

This topic'll probably really blow up if (when?) there's news on the book's status.

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

As far as I can tell, no.

This topic'll probably really blow up if (when?) there's news on the book's status.

Thanks. I am hoping they say something eventually. No one lets someone like this brew without saying something normally.

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Ian's actually wrong on Rouge's crush on Knuckles being just a fan thing, as she was explicitly stated to have one on the old Sonic Central website. so there was "canon" word on it (even though the American side were and are notorious for changing little details like that). Sonic Central's heyday was between 2004-2005, which is again before 2006 came along and just invalidated that. Also Rouge's line to Shadow can easily be read as more comradely than romantic to be fair.

Personally, I think Rouge's attraction to Knuckles was made clear after the second boss battle between the two of them in SA2, at the end of that cutscene where she looks back at him with that look after he leaves. I also thought her line to Shadow in '06 showed deep trust and potential attraction, and I don't see why Rouge couldn't be attracted to both of them

For And even with these different rules there are likely certain facets they want to keep consistent across the board, hence why even in Boom you're not likely to see anything like Hawaiian Shadow.

.And now I want to see Shadow from the comics or the games in a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, drinking a fruity drink, lounging in a fold-up reclining chair on the beatch, mumbling to a sunbathing Rouge next to him that he doesn't see how this counts as surveillance. It would be amazingly hilarious but would have to be played straight, which is why I don't really wanna see it in Boom.

In terms of other Sonic game characters yeah, and even that was only in the Worlds Unite prologue. Otherwise it's been Gold, Von Schlemmer, the council of doom or the Maverick Hunters from the Megaman X games. 

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

13 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Amy's kind of a legitimate jerk to knuckles in the games.She was kind of a jerk to knuckles again when boom started up. It always felt out of character to me, and this is a sega thing. She or at least to me, seemed like she would have no reason to hate knuckles. She's pretty nice to shadow, and I can easily see her having a lot more reason to come to ideological odds with shadow. And just generally not liking him , I wish they kind of explored that in the comic.

But to get back to point yeah I wasn't really fond of her hostility towards knuckles to be honest. Not everything in sonic has to have some justification, but it just seemed... there. Like they wanted to add something to her character... but had no reason to add that specific thing.

Not to offend anyone who disagrees, but I also thought Amy's support of Knuckles made sense. I didn't even know that was a point of contention in the fandom. She's already been shown to be kind and caring of others in SA1 and SA2, and since she would have no reason to dislike Knuckles, to me it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't support him--especially if the two of them were caught up in a common mission together (aka a team-up), like they were in the comics. I see Amy's lack of connection to Knuckles in the games as more of a thing we don't have time to flesh out because we have to get to the next level for the player to play--as opposed to it being specifically outside her character. I can also see Amy seeing things in Knuckles that remind her of Sonic (reliability, self-sacrifice, etc.).

I would also like to see more development between Amy and Shadow. I can see her also being attracted to certain parts of him that remind her of Sonic but teasing him for being so much more serious and moody. I feel like this was hinted at in SA2. Wasn't explored at least a little in SU 21-24 (SU TPB #6)? I have it sitting beside me, but I'd have to re-read it at some point.

11 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Huh. That'd be news to me. If it's true, then I'd really like to see Sega put their own interpretations of at least some of these characters into some of their games here and there alongside their own new, original characters. It's like an untapped treasure trove. The pessimistic side of me, however, also realizes that for some reason, Japanese companies seem to be opposed to adopting characters or ideas created through Western interpretation of their brands (see Nintendo's lack of affection for Waluigi).

11 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And (this isn't directed to you Borvoc) if it's a matter of the game cast not interacting enough, then a simple solution would be to just make plots that involve more of the game cast. No need to throw away the non-game cast or render them permanently as background characters, and I'm sure Archie fans wouldn't mind at all so long as it doesn't come at the price of completely disregarding other characters like the FF entirely given that they're far more tolerant than most fans regarding which character gets focus as long as they can still have the things they like have prominent moments too. Unlike other groups out there, Archie fans are very willing to share so long as others do as well, hence why they're sick of hearing about how the things they like aren't enough like the games and get up in arms if something implies their removal.

Hey, man. Direct at me all you like. I agree 100% with your entire post.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel you, Team dark to this day kind of makes no sense besides " these characters are on a team, cuz reasons" 

I don't know. Since '06, they've all worked together for GUN, right? I think Sonic may have a special long-time bond with Tails and Knuckles, and Amy, Cream, and Big make sense together (Somehow? I don't know how to explain it...). I agree, however, that groups of characters need reasons to be together aside from just "We're Team Rose," etc. When characters are always only with each other and never mix with other, I think you end up stagnating.

10 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And as a company, Sega has a problem with either trying to please everyone, not knowing how to focus their ideas, and sometimes caving in to some of the most bigoted and scapegoating criticisms that would leave other fans left out of the things they've wanted to see. So forgive me if I say screw what they want to force front and center if it's done in poor taste, because they tend to not have their head straight in a lot of ways that even loyal fans groan at.

I actually agree. I feel that Sega as of late has lacked passion or direction with their Sonic brand, and because of that, they end up being tossed about by every wave of extremism. People say things like "Sonic should be the only playable character," or "Sonic hasn't been good since the Genesis," and Sega goes full boar on those sentiments until they tip the scales so far that people start complaining and saying things like "Man, I really Miss Sonic's friends," at which point Sega has to overcompensate in the other direction, and the cycle continues. Some of the loud complaints are coming from people who don't even buy the games in the first place, so they're not even necessarily pleasing their core fans with these decisions. If they had a vision and passion to which they could anchor everything else (fandom, external ideas, reviews), I think they'd be able to balance everything out much better.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Way to many wall of text. Just a short question. Has archie said anything about the comic status yet?

And I shall append to my own wall of text by saying in response, "I don't think so." :P

Edit:

6 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Can someone fill me in? What's going on? I heard the entire comic may be ending?

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but Archie isn't taking subscriptions for the comic anymore and some release dates have been pushed back. No one who knows what's going on is saying anything, but theories include the idea that Sega is shutting the comic down, Sega is giving the comic to another publisher, Archie is renegotiating the contract with Sega and can't move forward until that's finished, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I can get behind that. My complaints from the way the book was before the reboot really did just see the FF and the original characters it created as more the forefront of the book rather then the ones I desired it to be. And not helping was the fact that the characters I wanted to see were so completely different from what I was familiar with that it was hard to even see them as the same characters some times. I picked it up from the 190s and moved onward before getting the back issues from 160 onward later so my exposure to all of this was very different from someone who would have followed along with it for an immeasurable amount of time and grown a fondness for the state of everything the way it was. Struggling to try and force myself to be on board with it all was not working and I can freely admit to that now without feeling all too bad now that the reboot has happened. 

That being said, not everything about the set up from the games as they are is stuff I'm okay with either. Like Knuckles kept saying numerous times in Sonic X, he's got hang ups about being considered Sonic's "friend", even if they're relationship has grown since they've known each other it wouldn't reach to the point where he's his second sidekick. And despite the fact that I really love Team Dark as a team, their strengths as individual characters (specifically Rouge and Omega actually) are often ignored for the sake of keeping them together and as a result just come off more like "Shadow and his Sidekicks" in the end. That's a problem I have even more when it comes to the comics though because a lot of what I liked about Rouge and Omega are being ignored for the sake of keeping them in line as straight up good guys, which largely defeats the purpose for me in some respects.

I can't lie of course. If I were in charge of the book, I'd probably reduce the Freedom Fighters and the role back a bit. I wouldn't get rid of them entirely or make them background characters (purely out of known obligation to the people who like them, which is a problem when taking over a book with a history crafted by entirely different people from an entirely different time) but I have a feeling that I'd end up subconsciously focusing on the game cast and how they do things on a more story and plot related level. The Freedom Fighters would probably be around in a similar fashion but the amount of focus they got would be a struggle to pay attention to. 

Probably why it'd just be better for me to make my own thing but you never know. I can't really say for certain what would have happened.

23 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Personally, I think Rouge's attraction to Knuckles was made clear after the second boss battle between the two of them in SA2, at the end of that cutscene where she looks back at him with that look after he leaves. I also thought her line to Shadow in '06 showed deep trust and potential attraction, and I don't see why Rouge couldn't be attracted to both of them

I'm pretty sure that's exactly where Sonic Central got the impression of a crush from, so you're not wrong there. 

I guess she could be attracted to both (or was before it was all dropped), but unlike Knuckles and Rouge, nothing was ever done with Shadow and Rouge in the games, despite them being on the same team half the time. That, and given the circumstances of the line (Shadow had found out that humanity would betray him yet again and even Omega was made to turn on him), she didn't need to be attracted to him to realise that the guy needed a bit of support there. 

Not to offend anyone who disagrees, but I also thought Amy's support of Knuckles made sense. I didn't even know that was a point of contention in the fandom. She's already been shown to be kind and caring of others in SA1 and SA2, and since she would have no reason to dislike Knuckles, to me it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't support him--especially if the two of them were caught up in a common mission together (aka a team-up), like they were in the comics. I see Amy's lack of connection to Knuckles in the games as more of a thing we don't have time to flesh out because we have to get to the next level for the player to play--as opposed to it being specifically outside her character. I can also see Amy seeing things in Knuckles that remind her of Sonic (reliability, self-sacrifice, etc.).

I really don't think it's a lack of fleshing out, not when she's had various moments of showing that she's not really too fussed about his wellbeing (SA2, Rush, Generations, kinda Lost World but more debatable there, I'm certain there are more that I can't pinpoint right now). Her deal with Shadow and her deal with Knuckles might be different due to how their characters are; Shadow acts so cold to Sonic because of his previous baggage (he was a dick to everyone when he became rivals with Sonic) and generally being designed with a downcast personality. When she reached out to him in SA2 it was an appeal to his compassion which was buried under intentional programming quirks. Similar holds true for Gamma, who shares a lot in common with Shadow. (I'll also note that Amy hasn't really interacted with Shadow since he upped his dickishness, so for all I know she could meet him again and be just as displeased with him because he too has decided to rival Sonic out of pride and doesn't have his past to hide behind any more). 

Knuckles is not like either of them though; he didn't trust Sonic due to naivety/gullibility, Sonic saved him and the Master Emerald despite his previous distrust and even after that he declared himself a rival of Sonic and would go on to not trust him several more times. Do you think that would go down well with Amy, who puts her absolute trust in Sonic and would likely hold a dim view of people who wouldn't out of pride? 

I would also like to see more development between Amy and Shadow. I can see her also being attracted to certain parts of him that remind her of Sonic but teasing him for being so much more serious and moody. I feel like this was hinted at in SA2. Wasn't explored at least a little in SU 21-24 (SU TPB #6)? I have it sitting beside me, but I'd have to re-read it at some point.

It wasn't explored at all in Treasure Team Tango, in fact that arc had him knock her out cold with her own hammer. It was Blaze he was given development with due to prior events way back in Sonic Universe #1

Is it possible that they'll just drop this entire comic and never inform us directly? It does sound like Archie has done something similar to that before. 

Not Sonic-related, but Archie just made a tweet that wasn't Riverdale or general Archie-related for the first time in over a week.

It's worth noting that not Black Hood, nor any Dark Circle titles, have subscription pages up right now so, I dunno, there could still be hope for Sonic...?

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not really an indication of anything because the Dark Circle comics don't come out often enough to warrant a subscription being made (I think their release schedules are similar to Mega Drive, if not even further apart). Sonic is supposed to be monthly, so it's still off for it. 

Edit: Oh wow, the first issue of Black Hood came out in 2015, and it's only on the third issue? That's way further apart in releases than Mega Drive. 

2 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

Is it possible that they'll just drop this entire comic and never inform us directly? It does sound like Archie has done something similar to that before. 

Anything is possible!

Someone will have to tell us eventually, though.

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Shadow acts so cold to Sonic because of his previous baggage (he was a dick to everyone when he became rivals with Sonic) and generally being designed with a downcast personality. When she reached out to him in SA2 it was an appeal to his compassion which was buried under intentional programming quirks. Similar holds true for Gamma, who shares a lot in common with Shadow. 

Knuckles is not like either of them though; he didn't trust Sonic due to naivety/gullibility, Sonic saved him and the Master Emerald despite his previous distrust and even after that he declared himself a rival of Sonic and would go on to not trust him several more times. Do you think that would go down well with Amy, who puts her absolute trust in Sonic and would likely hold a dim view of people who wouldn't out of pride?

Interesting thoughts on the similarities between Gamma and Shadow and the idea that Amy might just feel the need to help those sort of people. She also had compassion for the Flicky in SA1, though, and her speech to Shadow in SA2 seemed more sincere (if naive--but that's another topic) and showed compassion not only for Shadow but also for all the people of earth. Not that this negates your theory or anything--just some additional thoughts.

About Amy disliking Knuckles for being a thick-sculled rival to Sonic, I guess I can see the first part, but I feel like Knuckles has been more of a Friend to Sonic ever since he was proven wrong at the beginning of SA1. In SA2 he's a part of Sonic's team (though he's focused on the Master Emerald), and in Heroes (at risk of taking that game too seriously) he's even more chummy (possibly mostly due to the whole team mechanic). On a side note, I do see both Knuckles and Tails being closer to Sonic than they are to each other, with Sonic being kind of the glue that holds "Team Sonic" together.

Maybe I'm projecting onto Amy (scary thought, I know), but aside from potentially being a bit annoyed at him from time to time, I don't see her disliking him. Again, maybe it's just me.

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

It wasn't explored at all in Treasure Team Tango, in fact that arc had him knock her out cold with her own hammer. It was Blaze he was given development with due to prior events way back in Sonic Universe #1

Ah. Well, as I said, It's been a while. If it hasn't been explored, I'd like to see done.

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Not Sonic-related, but Archie just made a tweet that wasn't Riverdale or general Archie-related for the first time in over a week.It's worth noting that not Black Hood, nor any Dark Circle titles, have subscription pages up right now so, I dunno, there could still be hope for Sonic...?

Wait..but that's not even Riverdale...or related to the Archie books... WHAT"S GOING ON?!! :P

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh wow, the first issue of Black Hood came out in 2015, and it's only on the third issue? That's way further apart in releases than Mega Drive. 

Oh, my.

Well, by now it's pretty apparent what's going on if you factor out that we don't know the fate of the comic; There's a legitimate issue with getting the comic out, Archie are trying to mitigate the degree of the issue by just saying that it's only that subs are temporarily offline (we know that it's not just that since there are actual delays going on), but at the same time they've stopped promoting Sonic in any way for the time being.

Seriously, they didn't tweet the usual reminder to people to pick up SU#94, and they haven't reminded people to pre-order Mega Drive despite doing the same for their other one-shots lined up for March/April. 

Pretty much the only mysteries right now are "Is the safe assertion of a licence issue correct?" and "Can we get the comic back after this?".

• Thumbs Up 7

If the Archie Sonic universe is canceled, I just hope they let people know something soon. I've been looking around and people are being vague and tip-toey again, exactly how they were with Mega Man's cancellation.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I've been looking around and people are being vague and tip-toey again, exactly how they were with Mega Man's cancellation.

I assume you're referring to people directly involved in the comic, like Archie employees or artists/Ian, right?

Also, not that Ian owes anyone anything, but wouldn't it be ironically humorous if the book got cancelled and people started bugging him for a second Lost Hedgehog Tales for post-252 after he's had to shelf the original in favor of work that actually pays? I really don't want the book to be cancelled, but oh the irony.

Also, whatever's going on, I wonder what Ian's thoughts on all if it are. I'm sure he can't say anything until it's all resolved, and even then he'll have to be careful what he says.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

I assume you're referring to people directly involved in the comic, like Archie employees or artists/Ian, right?

Also, not that Ian owes anyone anything, but wouldn't it be ironically humorous if the book got cancelled and people started bugging him for a second Lost Hedgehog Tales for post-252 after he's had to shelf the original in favor of work that actually pays? I really don't want the book to be cancelled, but oh the irony.

Also, whatever's going on, I wonder what Ian's thoughts on all if it are. I'm sure he can't say anything until it's all resolved, and even then he'll have to be careful what he says.

Right. Tyson says he knows what is going on but he can't say anything except that Archie not renewing the licence isn't true. A rep says that they aren't taking any subscriptions right now but back tracked and now says it's "temporarily off the site".  Lastly, Diana Skelly claims that she knows nothing and she won't know anything about the comic's fate until the last second, if it happens to be case. The next issues have been "delayed" by a month and i can't remember the last time something like that has happened.

That would be ironic, haha. I would like Flynn's thoughts as well but I'm sure Sega and Archie don't want him saying a word. I think he'll be fine, though. Rumor is, he's writing the story of Project Sonic 2017.

• Thumbs Up 2