Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

At least the fate of the books probably isn't sealed yet. Otherwise Archie would probably have transferred subscriptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, ChromeDome93 said:

But I think it's clear by now that this was never something that Archie planned for or wanted - these were their highest selling titles and were close to anniversary issues that would have bumped up sales even higher - especially during a year with two big video game releases.

The Sonic books were Archie's lowest selling titles following the relaunch of the Archie books.* Not by a huge margin in some cases. Jughead was typically 2K ahead of Sonic.

*Lowest selling monthlies. The sporadically shipping and quickly cancelled Black Circle books were usually 2 or 3K below Sonic.

On ‎31‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 7:47 PM, Borvoc said:

Don't worry about it. Even I can't keep up with all the idioms, as I don't really care about pop culture. I had to figure out for myself what mic dropping meant a while ago and just recently finally felt that I could express its meaning properly. (Why am I taking this so seriously?) And nope, I've only ever seen Roger's Sonic stuff, but I'll check out IMP at some point if you think I should. I never understood what it was, so it was hard to get interested.

Oh, even your ultimate powers won't be enough? The idioms are a tough cookie to bite then indeed. :D

We need to take things seriously since the games aren't doing that anymore... ^_^

Well, if you got interested, you probably should either start from not the very first episodes or prepare yourself for some... interesting... experience that can only be explained By "guys had a fun time experimenting", it's a bit... lower stuff than usual. And I can tell Roger has really learned a lot about voice stuff after the first episodes. :)

I suppose 3rd "season" would be a somewhat good starting point, or not. I can't really tell if you find it amusing or not. :rolleyes:

Basically it's Roger and his (internet)friends crazying around in a fictional plot as a superhero team that's... kind of lazy doing crime-fighting at sometimes. Lots of taking elements/characters/real life people in it, they have Santa Claus as an enemy right from the start since he (for example) stole a school project of part of them and they got expelled because of that or something...

The thing I learned from the first episodes was that Swedish Fish does set itself in flames spontaneously, before I only knew it smells really bad, haven't smelled myself but well. :lol:

I got a bit curious too about the Jughead thing, there goes the only other somewhat interesting Archie-published comic book for me. Well, meh.

But I'm wondering will Sega really tell anything on E3, after all it seems to me like they would probably concentrate on the games more likely. The only thing that would make it possible (all that I know) would be of comics becoming more of a sidekick for the games rather than it's own thing loaning heavily from the games, like it would be a part of some kind of large reunion/harmonising, and I wouldn't like that one bit if it would mean we'd lose every other characters than the game cast.

That would be my cue to start searching instructions for performing CPR... Now is there anything on Finnish Red Cross' site or not...?

• Thumbs Up 1

By the looks of things, even relaunched Archie isn't doing too hot right now, if the previously ongoing Reggie & Me being reduced to a 5 issue miniseries, Jughead vanishing off of their subscription list, and the incredibly sudden intro of "Over the Edge" are any indication.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

So are we getting the conclusion to mega drive or what?

We don't know yet. What do we know is all other reports of things being cancelled was in fact bullshit, and Archie's still currently in talks with SEGA regarding the series. We also know SEGA is the ones who have started this, not Archie. So stuff like sales (At least in terms of it selling less than the Archie reboot comics), Riverdale, the Archie reboot, and etc are not a factor since apparently it was SEGA who began the talks, not Archie.

Mega Drive or anything else isn't happening until the two reach a deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Overdrive is apparently finished and all set for release though...whenever that may be.

• Thumbs Up 2

I seem to remember Flynn saying he will get Overdrive out come hell or high water. I've a suspicion that the problem is because of both the Fulop case and financial issues at Archie. Both are possibly related, those lawyers don't come cheap. It's not just Sonic getting put on hiatus; Jughead is getting the same treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was also wonder if overdrive was delayed to release along with Mania

3 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I seem to remember Flynn saying he will get Overdrive out come hell or high water. I've a suspicion that the problem is because of both the Fulop case and financial issues at Archie. Both are possibly related, those lawyers don't come cheap. It's not just Sonic getting put on hiatus; Jughead is getting the same treatment.

I feel like I've fallen off with this, but is the thing with Fulop still on-going? It came up and disappeared so quickly I'd assumed they managed to settle or the case got thrown out in a similar fashion to what happened with the Penders lawsuit.

34 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I feel like I've fallen off with this, but is the thing with Fulop still on-going? It came up and disappeared so quickly I'd assumed they managed to settle or the case got thrown out in a similar fashion to what happened with the Penders lawsuit.

Last I heard, the case was being filed for dismissal last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

By the looks of things, even relaunched Archie isn't doing too hot right now, if the previously ongoing Reggie & Me being reduced to a 5 issue miniseries, Jughead vanishing off of their subscription list, and the incredibly sudden intro of "Over the Edge" are any indication.

Oh jeez, this looks more and more like Archie's got into really fine mess. The question I'm having to ask is whether or not the seemingly possibly money-related problems got this bad because of no-Sonic, or was it already before this so bad they needed to have 'the treatment' for Jughead too? Wasn't Reggie made miniseries before the Sonic-silence began or not?

... and now "Archie's Weird Mysteries" became my earworm of the evening. Because of that 'Jughead too' part, if you got it. <_<

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, at this point I've given up hope. Nothing good can come from the end of this months-long radio silence. Best case scenario, SEGA has the comics gutted and rebooted again and they lose everything that made them unique. More likely scenario, they're dead. RIP.

• Thumbs Up 2

^Nah, I'm gonna presume the best since our recently deceased :( (not 'current', he's alive and well) president said something akin to if people expect worst to happen it'll happen more likely because of people's expectations so it'd be better to be positive than negative. And he knew this stuff (and was cool), I'll trust his word on this.

So I'm keeping up hoping, for that reason, and for other reasons. You do what you want but I'll keep up hoping. ^_^

Please don't let me down now, Archie and Sega.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer to be pessimistic. If I'm right, I get the smug self-satisfaction that comes with it. If I'm wrong, I'm pleasantly surprised. I win either way.

But seriously, there's no way the comics survive this unscathed. Issues are being cancelled one by one. If this were just a printing problem like last year, they'd have said so by now. If this were a negotiable legal issue, then I'm sure we'd have heard something by now. Yeah, saying they're dead already is being melodramatic, but I doubt that nothing bad will come at the end of this.

• Thumbs Up 2

I already held a funeral for the SatAM characters, though maybe with the new character creator in Sonic forces we can make them live again.

Bunnie Rabbot would be cool to recreate if the creator isnt too limited.

Don't think I've checked this place in about a month, maybe a little shorter. And it's still the same ol' problem we've been having since January. I've given up hope on the comic, honestly. A hundred pages of this thread are dedicated to the rumors circulating about the comic's cancellation and at least a person per thread page asking "hey is the comic good or what?" 

This definitely reeks of cancellation.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nääh, people come here asking because they're not interested in skimming through all this stuff, I don't really blame them, though when I was over a month away at some point I read every single post afterwards. I think I have developed myself some kind of a "wannabe-OCD" or something... :huh:

But well, I wouldn't start making assumptions like that at the moment. I mean, both Archie and Sega are quiet. I know the high possibility of Sega not really caring about what's happening with the comics outside licensing stuff but would they really keep quiet about the stuff if the silence was all about Archie wanting to keep the cash or something? I think not. If they would, I'd call it a bad idea considering marketing and all, we're talking about their mascot after all.

Please don't go all agitator-politicians out there, I have traumas about them... irl traumas, really...

And I myself refuse to dig any graves. Just show me the way to the operation room, let's see if the years of watching and being a fan of House M.D. starts to pay off. :blink: It would be cool if someone would have that "what if..." moment and save the day. :D

Now where was that defibrillator again...

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how comic shops and bookstores and the like handle things like this? Like, if Sonic is one of their best sellers, how is Archie communicating why they're not getting stock? What about the young subscribers that don't keep track of things online and are wondering why they haven't gotten a Sonic comic in almost half a year? Seems like Archie would HAVE to say SOMETHING to placate those people.

Well, about children, there has been some pondering about their situation on this whole mess on couple of pages back or something. One can always go try and not to drown in there. B)

As for the sales, wasn't it something akin to 'sells better in subscribed format than from comicbook shops' thing? I remember sales from shops weren't too high (Diamond's sale things) but then again...

At least the shop I use hasn't told me anything, so I suppose they're waiting. That shop's pretty laid back all things considered, they don't make a large fuss over issues coming week later than the release date, probably since the deal is 'whether or not there's space on the plane' thing. ^_^ I think I'll hear from them later than from here, roughly at the same time though, they don't usually go asking over one thing if not asked to do so by a customer... I won't go and ask.

By the way, I find it ironic I'm trying to be a real optimist in comparison to the other people in here, considering the culture I've been living my whole life... go figure. <_< 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I seem to remember Flynn saying he will get Overdrive out come hell or high water. 

Its nice to have dreams, but I think this might be over his head at this point

^Well, I thought of that like he'd tell the story even if it would never get to the shops or anything, though I'm probably remembering it wrong or something. :blink:

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

^Well, I thought of that like he'd tell the story even if it would never get to the shops or anything, though I'm probably remembering it wrong or something. :blink:

That makes a bit of sense. 

I thought you meant he would argue for it. On that front odds are the people at sega and Archie don't care for the opinion of a contracted writer, and have already made decisions they want to make

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't Tyson Heese also hint that Overdrive isn't cancelled? I'm getting these thoughts, like what if Overdrive was published by Boom Studios instead?

10 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Have you ever heard of Lost Hedgehog Tales? If it's any indication of how he'll tell stories without them being published in a comic, you may be waiting a while.

• Thumbs Up 5