Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Sonic Universe #94 was the absolute last issue released, on January 11th 2017. The last issue of the main series was Sonic #290, released December 28th 2016. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sonic Universe #94 was the absolute last issue released, on January 11th 2017. The last issue of the main series was Sonic #290, released December 28th 2016. 

Wow, it's already been half a year. Doesn't  feel like it.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

If the very last Sonic Universe Arc is the Chaotix arc I'd consider that to be a very close shave for me.

An arc sooner that this all happened and I'd have never gotten my Modern Chaotix focused arc. 

I thought it was going to be Chaotix Quest but I should have known better. Goddamn Armadillo shit.

That and nearly every major character so far that Ian wanted attention on got enough of it to matter instead of being stuck on the drawing board.

Only thing that could go to waste at this point are just the storylines he wanted to tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That and nearly every major character so far that Ian wanted attention on got enough of it to matter instead of being stuck on the drawing board.

Only thing that could go to waste at this point are just the storylines he wanted to tell.

I don't think just attention matters, there are story lines unfinished, there were goals. And with out those goals reached, all that attention is pointless, it didn't matter. 

You really just don't get the point at times...:rolleyes:

On 6/8/2017 at 11:17 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Too bad the Babylon Rogues got the shaft and never actually appeared in the new timeline. That's still gonna bother me if the comic is for sure done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that was one group that didn't show up. I wouldn't say they got the shaft tho, despite all that given their reference in Eggman's Dozen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well yeah, I liked "the Case of the Pirate Princess" too, it was well-written, had both character-development and action in a pretty neat package. :D

And I really like the princess more after the last issue than after the second, after that I was pretty certain she wouldn't be so likeable for me since I don't really enjoy that type of characters/persons she was pretending to be. :rolleyes:

Plus they had that one One Piece variant! The best way of making me happy; make a well-made combination of things I really like! If only had I got that one... but well, that's life I suppose. ^_^

Now where's the obligatory House M.D. reference? Is it coming or has the subtitle-reading messed my brain in a way I haven't noticed one already made? :huh:

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well yeah, I liked "the Case of the Pirate Princess" too, it was well-written, had both character-development and action in a pretty neat package. :D

And I really like the princess more after the last issue than after the second, after that I was pretty certain she wouldn't be so likeable for me since I don't really enjoy that type of characters/persons she was pretending to be. :rolleyes:

Plus they had that one One Piece variant! The best way of making me happy; make a well-made combination of things I really like! If only had I got that one... but well, that's life I suppose. ^_^

Now where's the obligatory House M.D. reference? Is it coming or has the subtitle-reading messed my brain in a way I haven't noticed one already made? :huh:

"The Case of the Pirate Princesss" was one of my fav storylines from the reboot. But then again, It's hard for my to find a Sonic Universe story that I disliked. I prefered it more to the main comic.

On 9. 6. 2017 at 6:17 AM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Blaze is one character that is stuck in limbo. We even got a cover with her and Bunnie! But I don't think I'll ever be able to read that comic book now. This depresses me so much. But not as much as the loss of the story set in Studiopolis. Whyyyyyyyy.

The story and world was finally becoming interesting after an awkward start post-reboot. Goddamnit.

• Thumbs Up 1

If and when the comic finally comes back, do you think there will be any changes made to what they had scheduled in the solicits they previously released?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Freedom Fighters arc in SU was either cancelled or postponed to a later point when Archie could afford to lose some casual readers.

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

If and when the comic finally comes back, do you think there will be any changes made to what they had scheduled in the solicits they previously released?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Freedom Fighters arc in SU was either cancelled or postponed to a later point when Archie could afford to lose some casual readers.

Yeah, they'll probably fall back on a super-popular character like Knuckles or Shadow to win back the crowd. 

It's a real shame, because I was looking forward to each part of Freedom Fighters: Finding out more about Antoine's history, seeing Bunnie team up with Blaze (And possibly learning more about the former's backstory), getting a follow-up to Nicole after her body was destroyed, and potentially seeing Tails, Rotor, and Big team up! (They were the only FF's left, so it's the only logical option) But as long as we can see the ends of Genesis of a Hero and Mega Drive, I'll be satisfied. (Although it would also be nice to see what happened to Chaos, as well as Gemerl's major victory Flynn was teasing in interviews)

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been rereading the post-reboot comics to pass the time. I recently got through the issues in Shamar with the Deviant Art trio, and I gotta ask: Does anyone else just not like them at all? Them being DA-tier designs makes them kinda unappealing in the first place. But then their whole plan to get the Freedom Fighters killed and basically hand Eggman a guaranteed victory makes them seem more like straight-up villains, rather than morally ambiguous antiheroes or tragic villains, despite what Archie tried to sell it as in the comments at the end of the book. The Pronghorn Sisters sell that concept much better.

I personally find them somewhat forgettable, with the main thing interesting about them being that they're friends with Egg Boss Nephthys who's the real star of the issues antagonists' side. I actually don't find the whole thing to my liking, as I would've like Nephthys as an anti-villain that's actually loyal to Eggman and if anything, the Shamar FFs might've been better as actual spies for Eggman in the region as opposed to simply holding a balance of power so Eggman neither wins nor loses.

I'm not against them being around and don't have any major problems with them. And knowing Ian, if they made more appearances he might've made them more interesting. But admittedly, they're not that appealing at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Nephythys. Just seems "off" to me putting the Shamari Freedom Fighters in the same antagonistic boat as her.

Different subject, but I realized that if the comics do come back, I'd be waiting another month for Genesis of a Hero to end before I became invested again. Nostalgia doesn't sell for me since I never played the classics as a kid (Shadow was my first game, but that was still long after it had come out), so I find retreading them completely uninteresting.

Anyways, I'm up to issue 281, and while I'm not a particularly big fan of Bunnie, the panel of Tails giving her a hug was pretty cute.

15 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Yeah, they'll probably fall back on a super-popular character like Knuckles or Shadow to win back the crowd. 

It's a real shame, because I was looking forward to each part of Freedom Fighters: Finding out more about Antoine's history, seeing Bunnie team up with Blaze (And possibly learning more about the former's backstory), getting a follow-up to Nicole after her body was destroyed, and potentially seeing Tails, Rotor, and Big team up! (They were the only FF's left, so it's the only logical option) But as long as we can see the ends of Genesis of a Hero and Mega Drive, I'll be satisfied. (Although it would also be nice to see what happened to Chaos, as well as Gemerl's major victory Flynn was teasing in interviews)

I wouldn't mind if they simply bumped the starting issue back to 96 either, with 95 being a standalone, maybe a tie-in to Mania or Forces. Plus that way the arc would actually begin after "Branching Paths" which it's supposedly meant to continue from.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hello to all. I'm a Sonic Italian fan and I'm here because, with my heart in hand, I would like to ask for some confirmations or any explanation of what's going on with Sonic's comic book. It's been 6 months that we still do not know anything about any cancellation / recovery and they are holding on all thorns. I, being in Italy, have no chance to read the comic here ... and I just have to be thankful to a friend of mine who has been able to find me a place to read (recently) if I leave one of the franchises again That they grew up and know all this troubles me. So much so that thinking of not being able to read certain stories with certain characters (I absolutely love Tails and Nicole) I just met, makes me very sad and when I found out about this break I had to keep crying. In recent months, Archie has had sales problems? Nobody buys more comics despite the digital one? Is SEGA not satisfied with the treatment of franchises? I swear, I do not know what to think ... I'm from another part of the world and I can not figure out what's going on. I only know that these 6 months are stressful and I just want to understand what does not go. I would have many questions, but I do not want to stress any of you. I only ask for a small appeal to make it clear what the situation is. I thank you from the depths of my heart if you spend a few words to calm a fan who, like you, fears and cares much about this franchise. I do not know what to think. Thanks to anyone who answers me. A hug and greeting from Italy.

54 minutes ago, NicoGuardian said:

Hello to all. I'm a Sonic Italian fan and I'm here because, with my heart in hand, I would like to ask for some confirmations or any explanation of what's going on with Sonic's comic book. It's been 6 months that we still do not know anything about any cancellation / recovery and they are holding on all thorns. I, being in Italy, have no chance to read the comic here ... and I just have to be thankful to a friend of mine who has been able to find me a place to read (recently) if I leave one of the franchises again That they grew up and know all this troubles me. So much so that thinking of not being able to read certain stories with certain characters (I absolutely love Tails and Nicole) I just met, makes me very sad and when I found out about this break I had to keep crying. In recent months, Archie has had sales problems? Nobody buys more comics despite the digital one? Is SEGA not satisfied with the treatment of franchises? I swear, I do not know what to think ... I'm from another part of the world and I can not figure out what's going on. I only know that these 6 months are stressful and I just want to understand what does not go. I would have many questions, but I do not want to stress any of you. I only ask for a small appeal to make it clear what the situation is. I thank you from the depths of my heart if you spend a few words to calm a fan who, like you, fears and cares much about this franchise. I do not know what to think. Thanks to anyone who answers me. A hug and greeting from Italy.

One can always hit the topic where this discussion is moved into or go skim trough the older posts in this topic. ;)

Hello, @NicoGuardian, and welcome aboard. Welcome aboard the board? I hope we do not make you bored. Okay. I'll stop.

8 hours ago, NicoGuardian said:

In recent months, Archie has had sales problems? Nobody buys more comics despite the digital one? Is SEGA not satisfied with the treatment of franchises?

It sounds like you know just about as much as we all do. Some people have made claims about the books being cancelled, and others have theories and speculations like the ones you mention above. Even if the claims were true at one point that the books were being cancelled, that doesn't mean things haven't changed since then, and theories can tend to make people worry more, but I for one do not feel as though I know the final truth on this subject yet.

There is also the added fact that Scott Fulop, one of the books' former writers, was (maybe still is) suing Archie in court after a similar recent lawsuit from Ken Penders, another former writer on the books, but opinions are divided on whether or not that has anything to do with the delay. I'd throw it into your stew of possibilities nonetheless.

All I know for certain is that Archie says they're discussing things with Sega.

All that being said, please don't stress about it. Stress is horrible for your health, as I can personally attest. Feel free to keep an eye on things with the rest of us, but find other things you like to do while we wait on a verdict. If you need recommendations, I'm sure we could spin the conversation off into discussing what to read, watch, or do while we wait on news regarding the comics, as long as things don't go too far off track.

You have just as much a right to be a part of this conversation as the rest of us, so feel free to ask away or join in on whatever's being discussed here. If other people are annoyed, then they can ignore you. Just don't spam. You also have the option of taking the conversation private and sending a private message to me or anyone else here who's willing to discuss with you further. (Though I'm not the most informative person here, and I don't always respond right away, you're free to message me if you feel like it.)

Thanks for the Italian hugs and greetings. They have a very special and unique flavor.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I've been rereading the post-reboot comics to pass the time. I recently got through the issues in Shamar with the Deviant Art trio, and I gotta ask: Does anyone else just not like them at all?

To join in the current conversation, I have to say I love these guys and think their dynamic is unique. There's a lot of interesting things that could be done and have been done with Sonic wanting to help, and the FF there really kind of wishing he wouldn't and trying to secretly undermine him in order to keep the balance of power. I'd like to see more of this and where it leads, and I did not see the characters as "DeviantArt" level any more than any other Archie or even Sega characters are.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, BlueSky said:

One can always hit the topic where this discussion is moved into or go skim trough the older posts in this topic. ;)

They want the situation cleared up, not get a migraine. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

They want the situation cleared up, not get a migraine. 

At this point, that's like ordering a cheeseburger to get the ketchup.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Thanks ^W^ 

13 hours ago, Borvoc said:

Hello, @NicoGuardian, and welcome aboard. Welcome aboard the board? I hope we do not make you bored. Okay. I'll stop.

It sounds like you know just about as much as we all do. Some people have made claims about the books being cancelled, and others have theories and speculations like the ones you mention above. Even if the claims were true at one point that the books were being cancelled, that doesn't mean things haven't changed since then, and theories can tend to make people worry more, but I for one do not feel as though I know the final truth on this subject yet.

There is also the added fact that Scott Fulop, one of the books' former writers, was (maybe still is) suing Archie in court after a similar recent lawsuit from Ken Penders, another former writer on the books, but opinions are divided on whether or not that has anything to do with the delay. I'd throw it into your stew of possibilities nonetheless.

All I know for certain is that Archie says they're discussing things with Sega.

All that being said, please don't stress about it. Stress is horrible for your health, as I can personally attest. Feel free to keep an eye on things with the rest of us, but find other things you like to do while we wait on a verdict. If you need recommendations, I'm sure we could spin the conversation off into discussing what to read, watch, or do while we wait on news regarding the comics, as long as things don't go too far off track.

You have just as much a right to be a part of this conversation as the rest of us, so feel free to ask away or join in on whatever's being discussed here. If other people are annoyed, then they can ignore you. Just don't spam. You also have the option of taking the conversation private and sending a private message to me or anyone else here who's willing to discuss with you further. (Though I'm not the most informative person here, and I don't always respond right away, you're free to message me if you feel like it.)

Thanks for the Italian hugs and greetings. They have a very special and unique flavor.

Wow, thank you very much. As for stress, by sharing a certain problem that affects my health I know perfectly what it means. The thing that overwhelms me a bit is that there are people who believe that many Sonic fans have left the franchise rotting, regardless of any other game made by external teams, by SEGA itself (or recently by re-launching with Sonic Boom, more focused on children with a plot of incipit that is essentially the same, only that the setting and the universe itself are different. Just keep in mind that there are no Chaos Emeralds for example). In the last few days I know for sure that Sonic has not passed it well ... and it is pointless to distribute the blame to anyone because of his fall from the top. Coming back to the comic, I have no idea exactly how Archie is successful ... but I certainly know he is not alongside IDW, Marvel, DC and the like (or maybe I'm wrong) ... the fact that they are keeping us so Long on the thorns can not give me a clear idea of what they want to do. The so-called 'Discussion' is one of the processes of the matter, so they say. But what other processes can be? If it is a matter of promotion through Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, I do not see why to interrupt. Indeed the issues that were to come out were set on the Sonic Classic ... Sonic Universe with the Chaotix Team. If in the hypothesis, SEGA wants to patch up the whole universe of Sonic to have comic-related comics, in my eye, I do not see much publicity or profit. This is something that can make me more sense with an animated series (see Sonic Boom, although I do not know how much the comic book and series are connected to each other). What I want to say is that if Sega wants to do this, it would be like throwing 25-year-old characters specially created for the comic (beautiful too) and I think the comics attached to the next games can only be unnecessary fillers. Other ideas I would not ... pass rights? In short ... honestly I would not. Strange that we have come to this situation despite the reboot of the entire universe from Countdown To Chaos ... I'm thinking aloud ^^ ". Something to you, from Countdown, did not like it? It may also be a reason for appreciation, as well as monetary.

• Thumbs Up 2

@NicoGuardian, Sonic fans and the quality of recent Sonic games and TV show is a very interesting topic to discuss, but it's probably outside the purpose of this thread, aside from how it affects or could affect the comics. To me, the comics have been higher quality than the rest of the recent franchise. Perhaps I am missing your point, so if I am, I would need you to further explain what you mean. ^_^;. If you're saying that the fans are killing the comics, then I hope it's not true, but I can see where you're coming from.

You are correct in saying that Archie is not as successful as Marvel and DC—at least not as classically successful as sold in comic shops. Unlike Marvel and DC, Archie is able to sell in grocery stores, which is money we likely don't get to see accounted for in sales figures that come from the comic stores, but I would still say that Archie is a much smaller company than Marvel and DC and operates on an entirely different level. I would put Archie closer to IDW and other smaller publishers, probably even smaller than IDW, but I have no real information beyond that opinion.

I think the main guesses regarding what's going on between Archie and Sega are (and others can add to the list):

1. Archie and Sega are renegotiating the contract. Either Sega wants more money for the license or they want to be paid separately for "classic" Sonic and "modern" Sonic, which again is more money. Or maybe they want Archie to reboot like you mentioned and make the comics even more like the games if not exactly the same and Archie is fighting back (I don't see this last option as likely, because I don't think it would take this long to figure out).
  2. Archie doesn't care about Sonic anymore because of their new Riverdale TV show and their All New All Different Archie. (Some sources seem to have denied this, but it could still be a small factor regarding what Archie is choosing to focus on.)
  3. Archie is having financial issues and simply can't print the issues or pay for the license until things stabilize. (I don't know if people are actually saying this; it's just a thought. Archie has printed on lower-quality paper for their trade paperbacks recently.)
  4. The Fulop lawsuit has something to do with what's going on. Either it's draining resources or making Sega question whether or not they want to continue doing business with Archie. Maybe Archie and Sega are both waiting on the results of the court case before deciding what to do with the comics. (Again, some disagree with this possibility, but I think it could maybe at least be a small factor.)

Whether any of the of the above is true, I don't think anyone can say with certainty, but that's my attempt at consolidating the various theories.

I've stated before that I hope that Sega isn't demanding another reboot, since I think this would bring the comics down to the level of the rest of the current franchise and guarantee financial ruin and cancellation of the comics. You're right; doing so would make the comics little more than filler for the sub-par games, while possibly still being better than the games.

I can't tell if you're asking me about Countdown, but I liked it just fine. I'm  happy to hear your thoughts if you have any.

• Thumbs Up 2