Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

it's been made perfectly clear at this point that as long as Ian Flynn is head writer, than Sonic/Sally will only be in the MXYL series. I can dig that too. Not to slide Sonic/Sally, but Sonic doesn't seem like the committing type to me.

I'm perfectly fine with the constant action. That's what goes on in the games, right? Unless you wanna read about Sonic running through loops and stuff.

Also, the book's called Sonic UNIVERSE. I'm glad things like the MXYL series are being kept there instead of the main issue. Plus, apparently that particular series is amazingly popular. Once again, it's a case of a very vocal minority of haters, against the silent majority of spenders. The latter always wins. Always.

I'm sorry, but I cannot see the appeal in MxYL and the idea of Sonic Universe itself seems pointless and dull. I was going to give it a little chance, but the second I saw #5 cover I lost all faith in Archie.

I dislike the future stories as much as the next person, but melodramatic about it aren't ya'll? XD

but the second I saw #5 cover I lost all faith in Archie.

Hi there. Your rage is misguided. It's the FANS that you need to lose faith in, because Archie is only catering to them.

I don't really see how SonAmy is logical for Archie? I mean, Archie is based on SatAM, and Amy wasn't really established in that comic until after Sonic and Sally were established as close friends at least, not to mention characters who have known each other since childhood. I haven't read all of the comic, but Amy, regardless of 'verse, has always struck me as having a crush...but not much more than that.

Not to start pairing debates or anything.

EDIT: I do wish that they would have been more creative with the kids, though. Their designs are so bland. :/

Agreed that this all about Sonic/Sally stuff, but the games are seeming to pushing Amy and Sonic closer together, and in the long run, what Sonic Team does out trumps Archie's story. Most of the only people who are hard core Son/Sally are the older fans, and the comics are made for kids, and the kids play the new games, and if Sonic and Amy become an item, then MXYL will have to change to Son/Amy.

Or Not! but it wouldn't hurt to see the Son/Amy future of it all. My main reasons for not liking the MXYL is just Sonic being tied down like that, and the fascination of Son/Sal is dead because we see what it's going to look like in the end. It ends up being more bureaucratic drama, and Sonic torn between wanting to running out and save the world and Sally telling him he needs to be in the kingdom. And I'm glad the boring child designs bother other people too. I mean, it'd be more interesting to see a brown Sonic with red hair and a blue Sally, or something more clever then clones. But they can't change it now, it was the mistake of someone else that the new writers have to deal with.

If what I'm seeing though is these MXYL focus around Knuckles' daughter, so it is possible that we'll be seeing little of Sonic's kids after this issue. This Shadow side story is still interesting so I'll be reading the books up until then.

Agreed that this all about Sonic/Sally stuff, but the games are seeming to pushing Amy and Sonic closer together, and in the long run, what Sonic Team does out trumps Archie's story. Most of the only people who are hard core Son/Sally are the older fans, and the comics are made for kids, and the kids play the new games, and if Sonic and Amy become an item, then MXYL will have to change to Son/Amy.

Or Not! but it wouldn't hurt to see the Son/Amy future of it all. My main reasons for not liking the MXYL is just Sonic being tied down like that, and the fascination of Son/Sal is dead because we see what it's going to look like in the end. It ends up being more bureaucratic drama, and Sonic torn between wanting to running out and save the world and Sally telling him he needs to be in the kingdom. And I'm glad the boring child designs bother other people too. I mean, it'd be more interesting to see a brown Sonic with red hair and a blue Sally, or something more clever then clones. But they can't change it now, it was the mistake of someone else that the new writers have to deal with.

If what I'm seeing though is these MXYL focus around Knuckles' daughter, so it is possible that we'll be seeing little of Sonic's kids after this issue. This Shadow side story is still interesting so I'll be reading the books up until then.

The MXYL stories are only a possible future. Not THE future.

In fact, that future's been invalidated already. Locke was shown to have died of cancer or something, but recent issues have shown different.

The MXYL stories are only a possible future. Not THE future.

In fact, that future's been invalidated already. Locke was shown to have died of cancer or something, but recent issues have shown different.

Well see that's where the beef comes from. Besides obvious fan service, why do they keep going back to that future time line rather then just coming up with one of their own?

And when the issue comes out we're going to find out what is going on.

Well see that's where the beef comes from. Besides obvious fan service, why do they keep going back to that future time line rather then just coming up with one of their own?

And when the issue comes out we're going to find out what is going on.

TBH, I think fan service is the only reason. It's the same stuff that got Tommy killed off for good, and I bet it had something to do with the Echidna genocide.

See, THAT is why I like Sally better in SatAM. I can't see SatAM's Sally as the sort to really settle down as queen, as she often says that her title is meaningless and never really speaks of ruling a Kingdom in that show, unlike Archie!Sal who seems to be tied by that responsibility of being a princess.

Well, that's the situation she's in now with her father back and her brother as current ruler. Before she was a rebel fighting for her people. Now that their kingdom is back in some form, she has to reassert herself as one of the royal family.

See, THAT is why I like Sally better in SatAM. I can't see SatAM's Sally as the sort to really settle down as queen, as she often says that her title is meaningless and never really speaks of ruling a Kingdom in that show, unlike Archie!Sal who seems to be tied by that responsibility of being a princess.

Well to be fair, this is a 30 year jump in the future. I can't imagine Sally staying active that long, bar some tampering like Shadow.

However, the Sally of the present sounds a lot like what you've described there.

Huh, really? Well, I haven't read into a lot of the recent issues, but I distinctly remember something about her making choose between settling down with her or adventuring and risking being killed some time ago.

TBH, I think fan service is the only reason. It's the same stuff that got Tommy killed off for good, and I bet it had something to do with the Echidna genocide.

Well I don't know enough people who do like it but Sonic fans are fickle enough, sure they're going to milk it one more time before they throw it into a meat grinder. I think people just want to see King Shadow again, which would make it interesting if King Sonic and King Shadow duked it out to confirm the state of the future.

Yeah I think that's what made Son/Sal look to work in the old days. I've always felt that Sonic and Sally would have more of a loving relationship over Son/Amy, where Sonic could truly be smart and adventurous with Sally. Son/Amy would be more of an accidental pregnancy thing and Sally needed to marry nobility. But the idea of Sonic and Sally having kids died after I saw Archy's versions of them. In a cartoony way it works but the rest of the comics don't work like that. Sonic should only have kids with Amy IMO.

Ugh, I thought Sonic Universe was going to expand on characters and give us some depth...not showcase some hypothetical future....thats hardly character development if its possible it won't ever happen.

I'm sorry but the whole Mobius [insert time] years later just bores me to tears. They were fillers at best, and I'd hoped we'd seen the last of them....bleh. Sonic Universe should be focusing on the current characters and their stories; the characters you might not usually get to see much of due to Sonic being in the spotlight of his own comic book...characters like Nack or Bean or Rouge or Antionne or something.....not lame "what if future" stories.

This plus the boring "non-Spaz" in fact " non-good-at-all" cover art is makng the comics a real bore for me........but at least they are still more entertaining and more "Sonic" than the games at the moment.

Edited by The-Master-Board

So anybody here remember Mecha Madness? If not, do so, you're missing out. There's really no doubt in my mind that "Mecha Madness" was truly the pinnacle of quality in Sonic history, let alone the comic series. This three-issue arc dealt with Robotnik finally capturing Sonic and roboticizing him, who unleashes him to wreck havoc on Knothole Village. With the use of one of his scavenged roboticizers, the Freedom Fighters hire Knuckles to be mechanized and battle Mecha Sonic. Eye candy ensues.

Judging by how much lighter in tone the comics were back then, this was some pretty heavy stuff. When Robotnik captures Sonic, he doesn't do crazy shit like brainwash him or install a tracking device in his nervous system; he transforms him into a destructive, killing machine. Awesome fight scenes aside, what also got to me in "Mecha Madness" was the struggle between Sonic's robotic side and what little humanity he has left. Although Sonic follows Robotnik's orders to a T, you can see Mecha Sonic's struggling internally, and only when Mecha Knuckles's life is put at risk (when the two are sent pummeling into Robotropolis) does a part of Sonic finally emerge, protecting Knuckles from nuclear destruction by taking the full brunt of the damage himself. Near the end, Sonic even briefly expresses remorse. ...At least, right before he becomes de-roboticized and returns to his usual jerkass self.

Naturally, when I read this as a kid, it left me with mixed feelings, and I still think of the arc as one of the most emotional moments in the series, comics or otherwise. In fact, Mecha Madness was one of my earliest exposures to the Sonic series (the first being the Sonic & Knuckles special), long before I played any of the video games. Truly a way for me to get into the franchise! Mecha Madness was referenced in issues 86 and 87, too.

It's worth noting that this came out during the time Spaz was actually a pretty amazing artist. More than that, his style was my favorite in the entire series. To those familiar only with his recent crappy excuses of covers, here are a few examples of his earlier artwork. He only occasionally illustrated full stories, but it was always a treat to see them whenever he did. It's a shame he really doesn't care anymore.

Another future series? Meh, it's okay, but it doesn't seem as interesting as the current time stories. I prefer the present over future anyways.

I can't stand ___ years later arcs. But I'm glad they've been shoved over to the Universe series and out of the main canon for Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog, even if they already always were just hypothetical futures.

Hi there. Your rage is misguided. It's the FANS that you need to lose faith in, because Archie is only catering to them.

I need to agree with DarkCyan here. Archie is only doing what the fans are wanting. Which is understandable because it wants to keep selling copies of its comic. I will admit I have only started reading the Archie comics from the start (the first 40 or so are rubbish and just nonsense but you can tell once SatAM finished they really started to pull that story into their comics to make it work out and finish. I don't have any issues of concern or hatred for Archie, they are just doing what they can to attempt to please their fans. Admittedly they cannot please EVERYONE though.

Can anyone please confirm for me if someone with a Sonic X subscription extending beyond #40 has recieved Sonic Universe #1 in the mail? I assumed that's what they were going to do yet I haven't recieved anything in the mail yet. Otherwise Archie's robbing me out of 5 bucks.

That's how it worked for me. I received Sonic X #40, and then later received SU #1, and my subscription for that now runs to issue #6 before I need to resubscribe.

The XX Years Later Stories are something that definitely don't interest me, but as others said, I do like the fact that they've been pushed over to Sonic Universe. If you don't like them, you can just skip 'em without worrying about having to cancel your subscription on the main series. I still would prefer SU concentrating on the present, but meh, whatever.

It's only four issues anyway, and after that it's four issues of current Knuckles goodness. I love the way Ian portrays Knuckles, and look forward to find out what he has in store for the Knuxter.

Yeah, I think resurrections are being avoided.

Now the AFTERLIFE on the other hand...