Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

12 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

It just gets better doesn't it. 

Nothing new has cropped up on the news front, but Bleeding Cool has picked up the rumour, so now it's "in the mainstream" If we thought the panic was bad before, it's going worse before it gets better now. 

Oh, this is going to end spectacularly.

Honestly the stories have become sort of stale. The 90s and early 2000s were when i had the most fun. These days ill buy an issue every now and again. The mega drive series though is pretty fun. I would not mind seeing the comic done in the style and story telling. Its funny and yet ties more closely to the game. all the legal mess messed up the comics i think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would anyone be willing to contacting archie (phone if possible), tomorrow to see what happens if you asked about subscriptions, or tried to start a new one since I think someone said they wanted to start one?

4 hours ago, Tylinos said:

It's good to see proper journalism is alive and well with the article having such claims as all Sonic books being 70% off (Fun fact: If you check, only five of the Sonic books are 70% off or more, while the same can be said of twelve books in the main Archie section), and that "March sees the finale issue of the long-running serial Sonic Overdrive."  Ah yes, that long-running serial of three parts, the first two of which weren't called Sonic Overdrive.  Glad to see Bleeding Cool did the proper research before publishing their story.

Yeah, as a media outlet Bleeding Cool tends towards sensationalism and outright hyperbole. With that said, Bleeding Cool has done some good work recently by consistently pointing out how Marvel is overshipping their comics to retailers in order to artificially inflate their sales figures. A lot of hardcore comic fans read Bleeding Cool, meaning that when they say something is wrong with a publisher comic fans take notice. So I think it's a good thing that Bleeding Cool has picked-up the story if nothing else, this makes it harder for Archie to remain silent on the issue.

• Thumbs Up 6

12 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

It just gets better doesn't it. 

Nothing new has cropped up on the news front, but Bleeding Cool has picked up the rumour, so now it's "in the mainstream". If we thought the panic was bad before, it's going worse before it gets better now. 

TSSZ has too and their twitter is pretty much agreeing with Penders that its ending but not for the same reasons. @SSF1991 your tssz friends aren't helping the situation...

What has me bugged more then usual is that Ian is staying silent. I assumed because he was doing something for the (sort of) holiday weekend but he just posted a podcast entry earlier today. usually when something like this came up he dismiss it pretty quickly, its possible that he just hasn't heard about it yet but I doubt it.

Still rather not jump to conclusions. its a glitch until otherwise noted.

• Thumbs Up 3

Regarding Ian being silent, it's worth noting that it's just as possible that Archie told him that the book is ending as it is that Ian saw people tweeting him about it and went "I don't have a clue what's actually happening, so I probably shouldn't say anything."

• Thumbs Up 7

A thought, would SEGA actually let Archie off the hook before the 25th anniversary is over with? Mega Drive and its sequels seems to be a big deal to SEGA, even if they don't promote the comic too much they still use Mega Drive's assets for all sorts of social media stuff. Overdrive is yet to be out yet, which I'm sure SEGA is invested in more then the regular comics. can Archie just pull the rug underneath SEGA like that and get away with it? theirs gotta be a contract somewhere stating to finish the Mega Drive series.

If, and still this is a WCS type situation, the comic ends if we could get until June the end of Sonic's 25th anniversary at least that should at least give us enough time to wrap up the 38-39 comic's worth of Nu-world plotpoints thats been set up so far. thanks to the reboot the comic doesn't have allot of loose ends so far so if Ian could purge whatever they had planned and start writing up an endgame then it could work out.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, goku262002 said:

@SSF1991 your tssz friends aren't helping the situation...

Welcome to my life. *shrug*

I have no control over what the rest of TSSZ does, so....yeah.

• Thumbs Up 3

Been lurking for a bit, but, hell, I'll give Archie a call today and mention that I had difficulty obtaining a subscription on their site for StH and SU.

I've been reading the comics for as long as I could remember, and it's been one of the few things that gives me relief from my studies. Although I recognize the "Schroedinger's Cat" of it all, I'd like to know if one of my favorite pasttimes is getting the axe on this already dumpster-fire of a week.

I'll let you all know what happens.

• Thumbs Up 6

Guess we should have multiple people call, just to make sure they all say the same thing and its not all varied reports.

8 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Regarding Ian being silent, it's worth noting that it's just as possible that Archie told him that the book is ending as it is that Ian saw people tweeting him about it and went "I don't have a clue what's actually happening, so I probably shouldn't say anything."

I honestly think people think Ian knows way more about the goings on behind the scenes than he actually does.

• Thumbs Up 1

All good things must come to a end.it may be noting. But it was a he'll of a run that many properties could never hope to do. I would not mind a mega drive though every few weeks that goes through all the games somewhat

22 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

I just spoke with Lisa at subscriptions at Archie (914-381-5155). I told her I was considering subscribing to Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe, but that I cannot seem to subscribe to them on their site. She said that right now, "until they have more information," they are not taking anymore subscriptions. I then asked if this meant the possibility of those titles getting cancelled, and she said yes. I asked what would be the final issue to then hit stores would be, and she said "I believe...290." (I forgot to ask about Sonic Universe and the final Megadrive issue, "Overdrive," and forgot to ask about resolving storylines and whatnot). And of course, I mentioned that a lot of fans are showing concern and would like to know what's going on, to which she said "Archie will be providing more information as it comes." That was it.

Trust me, letting you all know this doesn't come easy for me, and please don't shoot the messenger--this is just information that I was told when I called just now.

I'm coming for you measenger!!!!!! Jk

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

I just spoke with Lisa at subscriptions at Archie (914-381-5155). I told her I was considering subscribing to Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe, but that I cannot seem to subscribe to them on their site. She said that right now, "until they have more information," they are not taking anymore subscriptions. I then asked if this meant the possibility of those titles getting cancelled, and she said yes. I asked what would be the final issue to then hit stores would be, and she said "I believe...290." (I forgot to ask about Sonic Universe and the final Megadrive issue, "Overdrive," and forgot to ask about resolving storylines and whatnot). And of course, I mentioned that a lot of fans are showing concern and would like to know what's going on, to which she said "Archie will be providing more information as it comes." That was it.

Trust me, letting you all know this doesn't come easy for me, and please don't shoot the messenger--this is just information that I was told when I called just now.

No shooting necessary, you've done good work today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Has anyone received any emails about their subscriptions yet? I remember that Megaman got emails about subscription cancellation and refunds before its announcement.

EDIT: Well fuck that doesn't sound too good, but her responses sounded all in maybes. I'll wait for other responses.

SU#94 was the most recent issue, so it stands to reason that if #291 isn't coming out, SU#95 isn't either. 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

No shooting necessary, you've done good work today. 

With my profession comes the delivery of bad news. Of course, that's with the death of a person, so it's different.

As for this, it's just super sad and I'm certainly bummed. I grew up with this book; and it won a Guinness World Record of being the longest comic of a video game character. Just last week I was organizing my collection and finishing up reading the end of the Shattered World Crisis. While thumbing through old issues, I was reflecting on how the book had changed pre-reboot and post. It wasn't perfect but it kept me and the fans engaged. 

But Penders-bashing aside, I can't help but feel a sour taste in my mouth. I met him 10 years ago at SDCC, he was nice, I bought a signed copy of Sonic Firsts from him, and we snapped a picture together (he looked way different back then). But was it truly worth it to him to cause so much drama and derail his life to set off a chain of dominos that would lead to the book's cancellation for the sake of continuing a story that was (essentially) irrelevant? 

We'll all get over this books cancellation, but it seems like he will just cling to this drama forever.

I definitely feel bad for Ian, Vin, and all the artists though.