Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

When's this month's solicits due out? We'll know for sure then.

Probably this week. I think they're usually out around the middle of the month.

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

While you're advertising comics, perhaps you could put out a word about how the subscriptions are down, or give us some word one way or the other.

Naw naw, it's fine, previews is fine.

How the fuck is Part 3 of a 25th Anniversary arc a good place to stop?

Lol when you say it like that but if push comes to shove you can't really help it. Look how young justice originally ended for comparison

I don't think companies really work in such a way that they'd want to hit those milestones and then drop it. If SEGA really wants out or Archie's just done, there's nothing to compel them to continue just to hit those nice even numbers or finish off a storyline. It sucks, but it's not practical to sink money into something if they don't care about it anymore. If this comes to pass so soon, "Overdrive" and the rest are just RIP. I won't expect an official comment for a while, assuming they don't just let it drop off the face of the Earth like they did with Mega Man and tell us to buy the all-new, all-different Archie.

Hey on the bright side, we can all take solace that both Sonic and Sonic Universe lasted longer, did better numbers and earned higher sales than Knuckles the Echidna.

Just now, Meta77 said:

Lol when you say it like that but if push comes to shove you can't really help it. Look how young justice originally ended for comparison

I say that because you said "honestly its a good dropping off point". Exactly how is Part 3 of a storyline for the 25th Anniversary a good dropping off point? If anything, I'd say the arc that due to come after would be the perfect finale because it's meant to be showing what these characters are going to be doing now that their greatest crisis is over.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Because Sonic 3 and Knuckles getting the shaft yet again is bitterly funny. 

...I'm going to get shot for this aren't I. 

Get out reinhearts shield. You'll make it

Guys, the social media people aren't a direct line to corporate.

Even if they know anything, it's not their job to field stuff like this without oversight. They can't ignore their other brands, either.

Your anger is a bit misplaced here. What you're doing is the equivalent of bothering the twitter account about the status of future game development. They'll tell you when they can.

• Thumbs Up 8

If this is SEGA's doing, why pull Mega Drive as well?! its asinine! you funded that comic to promote the 25th anniversary of your franchise, only to pull it 2 issues in?!

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Whoa! .... This... This issue features Cheryl Blossom!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I say that because you said "honestly its a good dropping off point". Exactly how is Part 3 of a storyline for the 25th Anniversary a good dropping off point? If anything, I'd say the arc that due to come after would be the perfect finale because it's meant to be showing what these characters are going to be doing now that their greatest crisis is over.

Much as I hate entertaining this, I'd take ending the Shattered World Crisis, albeit the finish isn't as strong due to how the latter part of that was mishandled due to the crossover. A "where are they now" is nice, but if we're in the middle of a breather arc looking back and sort of fleshing out Sonic's backstory, it seems more sensible than starting up another major story.

I don't like it, but the timing could be a lot worse if this happens.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Because Sonic 3 and Knuckles getting the shaft yet again is bitterly funny. 

...I'm going to get shot for this aren't I. 

This could've been avoided if Archie was using the PC music for the digital audio version. smh

2 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

If this is SEGA's doing, why pull Mega Drive as well?! its asinine! you funded that comic to promote the 25th anniversary of your franchise, only to pull it 2 issues in?!

SOA did,

SOJ didn't(?)

Just now, Zaysho said:

This could've been avoided if Archie was using the PC music for the digital audio version. smh

So what you're saying is, if Archie replaces Knuckles with Michael Jackson.

We can get part 3?

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Razorsaw said:

Guys, the social media people aren't a direct line to corporate.

Even if they know anything, it's not their job to field stuff like this without oversight. They can't ignore their other brands, either.

Your anger is a bit misplaced here. What you're doing is the equivalent of bothering the twitter account about the status of future game development. They'll tell you when they can.

I'm annoyed because Archie's being extremely quiet about this. Even their Twitter said something about Mega Man when that was being done away with, even if it was the bullshit "hiatus". This time, not only have subscribers have been getting absolutely no information whatsoever but Archie/SEGA as a whole are just generating nothing but unneeded scare mongering. The fucking cat's out of the bag, several websites have already taken up the story over the last three or four days. What the fuck does anyone stand to gain by being quiet over this now? I get that contract discussions and such can have an effect, but surely if it's affecting the comic this bad now, then either the contract's not being done, or it's a load of bull either way. If it's true, what the fuck was the point of leading people on that it might not be true? If it's false, why the fuck would you be silent and allow it to harm potential sales because people might think it's done? I just don't understand the reasoning for lack of word. 

On top of that, a lot of you are acting like SEGA and Archie were actively burning money with no profit with the comics, and that's not the case. Ian himself said subscriptions sales were as strong as ever, and the comics were as steady in sales as they usually were. Mega Drive especially could be one of the best selling Sonic comics to date thanks to needing a second printing to supply demand. So obviously, the sales/profits/costs couldn't have been that huge a contributing factor.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

This is what's eating at me right now.  The only reason they'd abruptly cancel their plans with Archie is that they've been looking round the market, found a better deal with another publisher and plan to release it through them.  It's a pretty clumsy method, I know, but it's all I can think of as the logical answer in why you would swiftly deleted your licensed comic, despite not even reaching the end of your healthily selling spin-off trilogy.

So basically it's the comic version of them cancelling Sonic 4 episode 3, just with a different kind of backlash.

Look, at the very least can we keep most of the major characters? Not just the game cast, but the Egg Bosses, the scrapped game characters like Nack and Mighty, and yes the SatAM cast. Those are the ones that have had too much work on them to be thrown away, and that's just a massive waste. If we can keep all of them outside of that like Razor and Eclipse -- which since they're all owned by SEGA I don't see why the hell not -- then great, but it's not like we have to throw away everything. AGAIN.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm annoyed because Archie's being extremely quiet about this. Even their Twitter said something about Mega Man when that was being done away with, even if it was the bullshit "hiatus". This time, not only have subscribers have been getting absolutely no information whatsoever but Archie/SEGA as a whole are just generating nothing but unneeded scare mongering. The fucking cat's out of the bag, several websites have already taken up the story over the last three or four days. What the fuck does anyone stand to gain by being quiet over this now? I get that contract discussions and such can have an effect, but surely if it's affecting the comic this bad now, then either the contract's not being done, or it's a load of bull either way.

There's also the possibility that, if Sega's the one who chose to pull out, Archie may be trying to negotiate a contract Sega actually agrees with, even if only to actually get the stuff they already have finished published, because money.  Sure, it's unlikely, but possible considering Archie's been unwilling to publicly admit yet to even a hiatus like they did with Mega Man. (And even if they are trying to negotiate, it doesn't necessarily mean they'd succeed.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to be really annoyed if Archie can't keep things together until the 25th, when #291 is released. All I need is Sonic the Hedgehog #288-#291 and Sonic Universe #91-#95 - then I'd own just about every Sonic comic ever made. Those last issues from Knuckles the Echidna notwithstanding. But I've been holding off until #291 so that I can grab complete story arcs.

26 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

I know what you mean. Sonic Mega Drive was actually the first digital comic I bought when I decided to get back into the comics. The quality of Sonic Mega Drive is what ultimately convinced me to give the modern Archie verse a serious look. When the last comic I bought was #156, over a decade ago near the end of Pender’s run, when it that issue was new. So to leave Sonic Mega Drive hanging with the last issue missing would be a severe disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Yeah, we were getting a lot of premature calls today."

Poor customer service reps. I wish people'd wait things out instead of increasing their call load when everyone knows they can't tell us anything.

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

This is the only piece of hope I have left. If the comics survive after this, I'll be sure to buy every issue that comes out in the future. XD

lol.

Just now, QuantumEdge said:

So, there's hope then?  I mean right now, everything still seems pretty hazy, but I'm feeling slightly more hopeful now.  Nevertheless, best to take this with plenty of salt.

Luckily for us, there's always plenty of salt on the Internet.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

I know, but it's all I can think of as the logical answer in why you would swiftly deleted your licensed comic, despite not even reaching the end of your healthily selling spin-off trilogy.

I think it's more to do with the fact that SOJ wants far stricter control over Sonic and it's presentation. 

Archie, despite getting better is still light years outside of the image Sega wants Sonic to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Mayor D said:

I think it's more to do with the fact that SOJ wants far stricter control over Sonic and it's presentation. 

Archie, despite getting better is still light years outside of the image Sega wants Sonic to be.

That, and, combined with the likelihood that Archie probably doesn't even want to "fight back" because of potential bad press while their launching a television show.

• Thumbs Up 1