Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

So, I'm familiar with a few of the concepts from the Archie comics, and I've even read a some issues that a friend said were really good, but I've never really delved into the series. Would it be worth it to start from the beginning and try to marathon Archie's entire library? If the answer's "yes", then is there a resource listing the comics in release order? I generally prefer that to chronological order.

If you want to stick to the current continuity, start at #252 for the main book and #55 for Universe, though several pre-reboot stories are worth checking out, most notably Worlds Collide. (The first crossover with Mega Man) The current head writer, Ian Flynn, started at Issue 160, so you could also start there, but the first 50 issues are also good if you like zany, fourth-wall-breaking humor.

• Thumbs Up 5

I feel so lost without knowing the fate of the comics... I just want the truth at this point.

The odd thing is that this likely cancellation has caught a lot of attention among the fandom, in various places, I wish it was all a conspiracy by Archie to get more people to read them.

• Thumbs Up 3

This reboot is turning out to be quite the double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's thanks to it happening that the comics came closer to being the kind of Sonic Comic series I've always wanted. It was tantamount to a dream coming true. I've been enjoying it quite a bit more than I was before the Genesis Wave that set things in motion. I've complained a lot less. I've found much more to care about. My confusion regarding elements that I wasn't up to date on when I started collecting them from 194 onwards (and then, thanks to my Grandpa, getting a chance to go back and buy all the back issues from 160 up to what I was missing), has shortened drastically. While my personal vendetta against having the Freedom Fighters as the main characters is still something that I have yet to expel from my brain (and I've realized it's rather stupid to try and force yourself to like something just because you're afraid people on the internet are gonna get mad at you for not being able to enjoy it as much as they do) they've been re-worked in the book in a way that feels more natural to me.

The characters I loved from the games don't come off as completely alien to me anymore. In the case of a lot of them, I now even prefer they be the way they are here then how they currently are in the games, which actually wasn't the case before the reboot. Beforehand I was stuck with a Sonic that I absolutely hated who was in a relationship that I hated even more. A Tails and Amy who were fine but didn't feel all too much different in terms of relative interest from any of the other OCs. A Team Chaotix I didn't like (with a Vector who was a de-facto leader rather than THE leader and also from "Downunda", an Espio who had origins and a noticeable amount of attention I didn't like, and a Charmy who was never around because of an terrible, awkward mistake the author made). And an Omega I also didn't like because of a backstory that I thought was hilariously inept and a follow-through that saw him as more of a hero with a destruction fetish rather than an actual anti-hero.

I stuck with them because they were characters based on the ones I actually did like and the comic was always just good enough that I never fully lost interest or hope that it could one day be something I was fully on board with. 

Then the Megaman crossover happened and it was the most consistent fun I probably had with the series up to that point. Follow that up with my favorite arcs to ever come out of the comics with The Champions story, Eggman's Dozen, the Great Chaos Caper, the awesome 4-issue Panic in the Sky Unleashed adaptation ending (aside from a few hiccups here and there), and even the current Chaotix arc (which I feel is easily the best one they've had so far even if it's not a mystery focused one, which I'm still a little bummed about).

I really want this to continue. I remember there being a lot of bad and boring stories to come from the reboot too of course. Mostly from ones centered on randomly shifting to new locations where we were introduced to a band of characters I had very little interest in getting to know, was not provided with any reason why I should want to, and was left with very rushed and haphazard conclusions to a lot of the things that happened because they were only bit parts to a whole story rather then actual mini stories contained within a bigger narrative. The situation with the Dark Gaia Pheonix was the most glaring example of this. That felt like a colossal waste of time when it was over and it really shouldn't have. It felt like a much bigger deal in the game and that's truly astonishing. Although, a lot of Unleashed's stuff still feels bigger in the game to me. There are somethings both adaptations do better than one another is what I mean to say. 

Despite all that, I can't deny that I've been having a much grander time with this. It pains me to admit this, because despite not being a fan of a whole lot from the old continuity, I still don't like the initial spark of what Ken Penders wrought and gleefully snark at his chronicled failing to live up to whatever it is he's promised to do now that he's got the Echyd'nyas (TM) to leach off of. And of course, Archie is not completely without blame here either. The sympathy I have for the people who actually did enjoy all of what I didn't like and want it desperately to come back is still very much there. Being a fan of what the reboot has done for the book and my enjoyment of it doesn't mean I'm also a fan of the events that transpired to get it where it is now. 

And if it turns out that this at all had anything to do with any hypothesized cancellation then that enjoyment would have been but a fleeting moment of purity for me and thus not have been worth it in the long run. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Something else I forgot to mention that further adds to how we might not be hearing from any of the creatives--a personal friend of mine was an artist for Archie for 22 years. And then he was let go after he handed in his final story--something he wouldn't know until after he handed it in. 

I'll ask if he's heard any rumblings as of late.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, when you're working freelance, I assume they don't tell you much more than you need to know. More likely they tell you a little less than what you need to know. Even if these guys did know something, they'd be forbidden from spilling.

Edit: Whenever this all goes down, whatever it is, Ian's next Bumblecast is going to be interesting.

39 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

So, I'm familiar with a few of the concepts from the Archie comics, and I've even read some issues that a friend said were really good, but I've never really delved into the series. Would it be worth it to start from the beginning and try to marathon Archie's entire library? If the answer's "yes", then is there a resource listing the comics in release order? I generally prefer that to chronological order.

If it's release order you're after, then you should start at SU#55, then read StH#252 and continue to alternate from there.

When getting to SU#75 and StH#272 however, I'd strongly recommend reading them in reverse (272's story leads directly into 75 even though they were released in the wrong order).

Whether or not you want to read Worlds Unite in the middle is up to you, but it's ultimately pointless to the overall story.

There may be a better chronological reference out there, but you could always get a feel for things here and just look up release dates for individual issues to get yourself oriented. The page also has a list of all the major arcs in the series, which may give you an idea where you want to start.

2 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

So, I'm familiar with a few of the concepts from the Archie comics, and I've even read some issues that a friend said were really good, but I've never really delved into the series. Would it be worth it to start from the beginning and try to marathon Archie's entire library? If the answer's "yes", then is there a resource listing the comics in release order? I generally prefer that to chronological order.

A few months ago I began reading the Sonic comics again, thanks to the digital back issues. Only this time I started at the very beginning, with the original four part miniseries. So can offer a little advice if you want to marathon everything.

Forte-Metallix is right that the comic begins with a zany atmosphere. However, things begin to take a darker and more epic tone around #20. In a real sense you can see the comic evolve from ASOTH and into SATAM. Throughout this time you'll also see some of the comics’ most iconic issues. #25 is the Sonic CD adaption, which sees a dramatic improvement in art style. #39 and its Super Special (found today in Sonic Select #2) is the Mecha Madness storyline, one of the most intense and action packed stories of the classic era. #47 to #50 are the End Game story arc, which is all about Sonic's final battle against the original Dr Robotnik.

So yeah, I highly recommend starting from the first issues of Sonic the Hedgehog if you want to marathon everything. This approach will give you a greater appreciation of just how much the Sonic comic has changed over the years. Because in many ways the Archie verse has always reflected the contemporary approach to how Sonic was presented in the media. It's truly remarkable how the Sonic comics has been able to integrate so many different ideas from the cartoons and games into a single shared universe.

Yes it could be messy at times but the Sonic comic still represents a truly unique aspect of the Sonic franchise. An unbroken line from the glory days of the Mega Drive era in the 90s to the present today. That the Sonic franchise has had its ups and downs but the Sonic comic always survived, going on to beat Conan the Barbarian. as the longest running licenced comic series the world has ever seen.

This is why it's a genuine tragedy if the comic is being cancelled, we could end up losing something that can never be replicated today. At least now I've managed buy and download just about all of the digital back issues. If I have anything to say about the Sonic comics won't be lost to history.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only series that isn't available in its entirety is the Knuckles series (digital platforms and the Archives only have up to issue 21)

2 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Had nothing to do, so here's a reading order list I made for the comic starting with the reboot from a few years back. (If you want the stuff from before the reboot, someone else will have to tackle that, since the release order for those is kind of a mess.) Stuff that isn't really required reading I've marked as optional.

Also, I tried to stick to release order over chronological order where I could since you asked, but since there's two Sonic Books (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe), it'd get really weird to jump between them while they're doing different stories, so I listed the stories in chunks in the order they came out, where they make the most sense.

Anyway, full list is in the spoiler tag below:

NOTE: SU stands for Sonic Universe, and MM stands for Mega Man.

(OPTIONAL: Mega Man #1 - #23) (It's a pretty good series, but if you've got no interest in Mega Man, it isn't required at all to understand what's going on here.)

(OPTIONAL: Sonic & Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 / Worlds Collide Part 0) (It's from the old continuity, but it sets up a few things that would be kind of weird otherwise.  If you can't find this book but want to check it out anyway, it's basically a reprint of the ending to Sonic #247 and Mega Man #23.)

Worlds Collide Parts 1 - 12
(((MM #24, SU #52, Sonic #248, MM #25, SU #53, Sonic #249, MM #26, SU #54, Sonic #250, MM #27, SU #54, Sonic #251)))

Sonic #252 - #255

SU #55 - #58 (Pirate Plunder Panic)

Sonic #256 - #259

SU #59 - #62 (Shadow Fall)

SU #63 - #66 (The Great Chaos Caper)

SU #67 - #70 (Total Eclipse)

Sonic #260 - #263 (Waves of Change)

Sonic #264 - #265 (Control)

Sonic #266 - #267 (Ambushed)

Sonic #268 - #271 (Champions)

SU #71 - #74 (Spark of Life)

(OPTIONAL: Mega Man #24 - #49) (If you decided to read Mega Man, this is probably the best point to catch up on it before Worlds Unite.  Or you can read it in parts between the Sonic stories leading up to this point, but I don't have the release order on hand for that right now.  Sorry.)

Sonic & Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2015 (This book might be a bit hard to find, but the Sonic part of it takes place right between SU #82 and Sonic #272.  The Mega Man part of it is a recap of some things for Worlds Unite, so you can skip that part if you read Mega Man already, or don't care about Worlds Unite.)

Sonic #272

SU #75

(OPTIONAL: Worlds Unite Parts 1 - 12, Worlds Unite Battles: Sonic, & Worlds Unite Battles: Mega Man) (The story has no major bearing on anything, and it...isn't exactly considered very good.  I'd really only recommend it if you've been reading Mega Man as well.)
(((SU #76, Boom #8, Battles MM, Sonic #273, MM #50, SU #77, Boom #9, Sonic #274, Battles Sonic, MM #51, SU #78, Boom #10, Sonic #275, MM #52)))

(OPTIONAL: Mega Man #53 - #55) (The last three issues of Mega Man, if you were reading it.)

SU #79 - #82 (The Silver Age) (This technically takes place before Free Comic Book Day 2015, but you said you prefer release order, so I left it right where it came out.)

Sonic #276 - #279

SU #83 - #86 (Eggman's Dozen)

Sonic #280 - #283

Sonic #284 - #287 (Panic in the Sky)

SU #87 - #90 (Shattered)

SU #91 - #94 (Case of the Pirate Princess)

Sonic #288 - #290 or #291 (Genesis of a Hero)

Sonic Mega Drive

Sonic Mega Drive: The Next Level

Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive (If/when it comes out.)

1 hour ago, ChromeDome93 said:

[...]

WHAT WE CAN DO:

Call SEGA. Email SEGA. Tweet SEGA. Write on their Facebook. Tweet at the official Sonic the Hedgehog accounts. Let them know you want more comics from Archie and let them know you want the series to continue. I've been a fan of these comics since I was a kid and I would hate to see them end before these huge milestones and have all my favorite creators suddenly without work.

Support the creators on Patreon. If you like their work, give them a boost by signing up for their patreon - even if it's a small amount. If the books really are gone for good, they'll need our help as they try to find new work. Let's help them out.

Whelp, I went ahead and sent a polite tweet to @SEGA and @Sonic_Hedgehog saying I appreciate @ArchieComics' work. Least I can do. All the talk we've done about IDW, etc., aside, I'd hate to see Archie dumped to the curb after all the long-running work they've put into the book and all the enjoyment they've given me with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, johnboy3434 said:

So, if the comic is cancelled, and Sega doesn't decide to pick the story up with another publisher, that means the only official continuation of the Archie Sonic universe would be... would be... NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Oh who am I kidding? That's never getting finished.

I don't believe it's accurate to describe that as a "continuation of the Archie Sonic universe," much less "official."

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I don't believe it's accurate to describe that as a "continuation of the Archie Sonic universe," much less "official."

Well, it's official in the sense that he owns the rights to the characters in question. However, he seems to be speaking out of both sides of his mouth regarding the link to the old continuity: He says it's a continuation of the story as presented in the Archie comics, then proceeds to make drastic alterations to the premise so as to make it totally incompatible with such.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Borvoc said:

Whelp, I went ahead and sent a polite tweet to @SEGA and @Sonic_Hedgehog saying I appreciate @ArchieComics' work. Least I can do. All the talk we've done about IDW, etc., aside, I'd hate to see Archie dumped to the curb after all the long-running work they've put into the book and all the enjoyment they've given me with it.

Yeah, same. I’ve been reading this comic since pretty much the onset (though I was barely young enough to read, less alone comprehend plot), so this is a really depressing prospective fate for me as well. It’s like seeing a piece of your childhood wither and die in front of you for no rationally sound reason. It's gut-wrenching. Most of all, its a fate I do not want to happen because it doesn't need to.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe Archie will pull a Cartoon Network, say subscriptions were pulled intentionally to act as a preview and build up hype for new comics.

The difference of course being we don't get five issues early and it sucks