Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Tyson said that them forgetting to renew the licence wasn't true, not that them not renewing the licence wasn't true. Just to keep clear. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Let me just say if SEGA really is pulling the plug, then it makes me wonder why they even bothered to allow this:

gaZPrb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Uh, maybe there are/were certain caveats in the licencing contracts that let them have enough freedom to do this. Same thing would apply to Jazwares/Tomy and their comic packs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Borvoc said:

.And now I want to see Shadow from the comics or the games in a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, drinking a fruity drink, lounging in a fold-up reclining chair on the beatch, mumbling to a sunbathing Rouge next to him that he doesn't see how this counts as surveillance. It would be amazingly hilarious but would have to be played straight, which is why I don't really wanna see it in Boom.

I would like him to be dressed up like vacation, but still ready for battle. Like he goes on vacation ready to fight. I feel like shadow is that guy. 

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

Not to offend anyone who disagrees, but I also thought Amy's support of Knuckles made sense. I didn't even know that was a point of contention in the fandom. She's already been shown to be kind and caring of others in SA1 and SA2, and since she would have no reason to dislike Knuckles, to me it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't support him--especially if the two of them were caught up in a common mission together (aka a team-up), like they were in the comics. I see Amy's lack of connection to Knuckles in the games as more of a thing we don't have time to flesh out because we have to get to the next level for the player to play--as opposed to it being specifically outside her character. I can also see Amy seeing things in Knuckles that remind her of Sonic (reliability, self-sacrifice, etc.).

I would also like to see more development between Amy and Shadow. I can see her also being attracted to certain parts of him that remind her of Sonic but teasing him for being so much more serious and moody. I feel like this was hinted at in SA2. Wasn't explored at least a little in SU 21-24 (SU TPB #6)? I have it sitting beside me, but I'd have to re-read it at some point.

I don't hmm

How do I phrase this, I don't like the idea of her liking characters because she's sonic in them, it seems... kinda wack? I feel like she's a character who appreciates  people for who they are.

If there were anything, I would like a story where she maybe wants shadow to be sonic, and he very much is not. And its very blunt about it, and she learns a lesson. On the flip side, she finds out she's actually way more ok with that part of him than she originally thought. 

Huh. That'd be news to me. If it's true, then I'd really like to see Sega put their own interpretations of at least some of these characters into some of their games here and there alongside their own new, original characters. It's like an untapped treasure trove. The pessimistic side of me, however, also realizes that for some reason, Japanese companies seem to be opposed to adopting characters or ideas created through Western interpretation of their brands (see Nintendo's lack of affection for Waluigi).

While yes there is, in some cases when it comes companies not being fond of some foreign interpretations. Some are, capcom very much is, they still ( despite it definitely not coming back) choose to rep DmC devil May Cry in DMC4SE even though the DmC experiment is dead they thought it was interesting merit a reference. To get to my actual point though I think this is less " western Interpretation" and more ideological differences remember a western dev is taking mania and they are... totally fine with that. And they seem to kinda be ok with boom, to certain degree's.

They might not just like how the comic presents its self specifically. That isn't to say that that view is right, I think the western and eastern branches of sega have very different views on what sonic is

I don't know. Since '06, they've all worked together for GUN, right? I think Sonic may have a special long-time bond with Tails and Knuckles, and Amy, Cream, and Big make sense together (Somehow? I don't know how to explain it...). I agree, however, that groups of characters need reasons to be together aside from just "We're Team Rose," etc. When characters are always only with each other and never mix with other, I think you end up stagnating.

I agree with this

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

It wasn't explored at all in Treasure Team Tango, in fact that arc had him knock her out cold with her own hammer. It was Blaze he was given development with due to prior events way back in Sonic Universe #1

I could go for another shadow blaze team up tbh

Off-topic again, but about Black Hood: it's actually the third issue of the "second season". Season one was like 12 issues long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello All.  Long time Sonic comic fan here.  Thought I'd give my view of the situation.

I do agree that something is definitely up. However I think people talking about cancelation are over reacting at this point.   I know that SEGA is much more cautious and controlling with the license then they were in the 90's and early 00's due to the problems with Pender's and the less then successful launch of Sonic Boom, but I don't think they would be dumb or cruel enough to get rid of a part of the property that has thousands of dedicated fans and was Archie's biggest seller for decades!  

I think there are probably some serious negotiations going on between Archie & SEGA right now, and I think part of this is because SEGA honestly doesn't have a solid vision of where they want the franchise to go, and this makes it difficult for licensors like Archie & others.

If I had to guess I think the main book will continue, but I could, for better or worse totally see Universe ending at #100 and replaced with a SEGA centric book like the Mega-Drive specials.

I mean despite what people say you really can't have a proper Sonic comic without the Freedom Fighters.  They are just as much a part of the Franchise as the rest, and those who say they are unnecessary are just giving a big middle finger to Ben Hurst and ever person who worked on SATAM & the Archie comics.

So yea, I think the most likely scenario is Archie is working out a deal to continue the main book if they agree to replace Universe with a Mega-Drive esque book.

Also there is the fact that  STH #291 and SU#95 are still solicited for release but at later dates.

As for Archie's side in all this.  Yes they do want to focus most of their resources on the recently rebooted All-New Archie line and the Riverdale TV show.  But they won't give up on the Action, Afterlife & Dark Circle books altogether, they just won't push them as much.

So yea, I do think we will see Universe canned at #100 and replaced with a SEGA SONIC book, but the main book ArchieSonic will mostly likely stay on track after March.

Also IMO SEGA would do better with Sonic again if they were more lax with the properties like in the 90's.  Giving Cartoon, Comic and Game creators more freedom will help them IMO.

But that's all Just my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

He actually shelved it due to legal issues. 

Wow. That's news to me. I wasn't one of the people clamoring for answers anyway, and Ian's probably better off working on stuff that pays. Sorry for all the people who felt they needed closure, but, aside from characters that went away, I really think the reboot is a good continuation.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

That would be ironic, haha. I would like Flynn's thoughts as well but I'm sure Sega and Archie don't want him saying a word. I think he'll be fine, though. Rumor is, he's writing the story of Project Sonic 2017.

Wait. What? Oh. Right. That rumor. For a minute, I thought you were referring to the movie. Whether it's true or not, I'm sure Ian will be fine. He's a good writer after all, and he probably has his foot in the door at a few other places should he need extra work or a new job should the worst happen. Still, I think Ian truly loves what he does, and I'd like him to be able to stay on the book for as long as he wants or as long as Archie / Sega will have him.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Let me just say if SEGA really is pulling the plug, then it makes me wonder why they even bothered to allow this:

gaZPrb.jpg

Wait. Is that an Archie Sonic wallet?

Also, I'm sure others have seen this, but I found it just now:

According to the updated style guide (a guide for licensees to keep everything on-model and in-brand), what was referred to as Classic Sonic from the Genesis era of the early 90s will now be known as ‘Pixel Sonic’. The Sonic incarnation seen in Archie Comics will now be called ‘Comic Book Sonic’.

If this is true, and Sega sees 'Comic Book Sonic' as its own thing, like Boom Sonic and Pixel Sonic, maybe they're open to it being a bit different from the games, albeit still within certain guidelines, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I would like him to be dressed up like vacation, but still ready for battle. Like he goes on vacation ready to fight. I feel like shadow is that guy.

That'd be cool too. I just like the idea of Rouge forcing him to relax and him trying to figure out how it benefits them strategically.

Rouge:    No, don't button all the way up; you have to look casual. Oh, and put on these sunglasses.

Shadow: This is ridiculous. And these glasses are making it harder to see. It'll be more difficult to...

Rouge:    No. Not like that. You need to really loooouuuunge. Lay back in that chair like you plan on being here all day.

Shadow: I really don't see how this is going to help us find...

Rouge:    Oh! And I got you an umbrella drink. My favorite; you'll love it!

Shadow: …You're just using me as an excuse to be lazy.

Rouge:    Nonsense. We're just a couple of beach-goers here to have some fun. You come here all coiled up for a fight, and you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. It's a good thing I'm here to show you how to fit in, or you'd totally blow your cover.

Shadow: Fine. Just keep your eyes peeled and let me know if you see anything.

Rouge:    (mock salutes before applying more suntan lotion. Later, she might sneak a few pictures of Shadow to tease him about.)

21 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

I think there are probably some serious negotiations going on between Archie & SEGA right now, and I think part of this is because SEGA honestly doesn't have a solid vision of where they want the franchise to go, and this makes it difficult for licensors like Archie & others.

I believe this sentiment is true, whether or not it's the reason behind what's been going on.

If I had to guess I think the main book will continue, but I could, for better or worse totally see Universe ending at #100 and replaced with a SEGA centric book like the Mega-Drive specials.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind a Megdrive ongoing, but I wouldn't want it to replace the richer Universe stories that allow all the other characters to shine. You may still be right, but I'd personally much rather a new Megadrive book exist alongside the main book and Universe.

Also IMO SEGA would do better with Sonic again if they were more lax with the properties like in the 90's.  Giving Cartoon, Comic and Game creators mote freedom will help them IMO.

I can see it being a good thing for Sega to at least let their licensees try things with the license to see how things go. If they do poorly, discontinue them, and if the do well, let them go on and maybe even learn from them. There would still, of course, need to be at least some level of boundaries.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the Toyworld thing applies when the plan could have easily changed in a year, especially if this whole thing isn't with SoA. 

But as a silver lining to all this, if the comic is retooled to the point Flynn leaves or is cancelled, he can finally release LHT (unless that is, if he has bigger fish to fry) without having to worry. 

Next time I get payed I am totally ordering that Archie Sonic Wallet from Gamestop!

Anywho, I realize that SEGA is under no obligation to work with the same companies forever, but given that Archie losing Sonic would cause the publisher to sell roughly 14,000 less comics a month, I am sure Archie would not be to keen on that happening given that could really hurt a smaller publisher like them, and if Riverdale flopped on top of that they could very well go under!  And I don't think SEGA want to be responsible  (even if only in part) for something like that.

Overall I think if SEGA is confident enough to put the brands name on the line with a Live-Action/CGI film, then allowing a comic that has caused you a minor headache because of the actions of a crazy ex-writer to continue is nothing in comparison.  Heck keeping the book around as long as they have has helped a lot of people who may not be big gamers stay interested in Sonic!  Plus add in the fact that the Boom cartoon is still around (and may get a third season) despite the games for it bombing.  I think it is safe to say that while much stricter with the property now they are still willing to be reasonable when it comes to others using it.

But yes, hopefully when the April 2017 solicits for Archie comics are released this week we will get a better understanding of what is going on.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ian Flynn involved with the upcoming Sonic Project 17 game?   Is there a chance that could be the root of the problem and they are trying to figure out how to balance his time between working on the comics & the game!?

• Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

But as a silver lining to all this, if the comic is retooled to the point Flynn leaves or is cancelled, he can finally release LHT (unless that is, if he has bigger fish to fry) without having to worry. 

Maybe, but I don't think Ian's nondisclosure would end right away, and even if or when it does, he probably doesn't want to burn any bridges or upset anyone. I think people who want specific answers about the old timeline are going to have to #bumblekast them and hope he's able to answer.

40 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

But yes, hopefully when the April 2017 solicits for Archie comics are released this week we will get a better understanding of what is going on.

Ah. I will look forward to the solicits.

40 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ian Flynn involved with the upcoming Sonic Project 17 game?   Is there a chance that could be the root of the problem and they are trying to figure out how to balance his time between working on the comics & the game!?

I don't think this has been confirmed, and even if it were, I don't know that Ian would have trouble writing for both the film and the book. He probably has the book written a great deal ahead of where we're at now anyway.

7 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Maybe, but I don't think Ian's nondisclosure would end right away, and even if or when it does, he probably doesn't want to burn any bridges or upset anyone. I think people who want specific answers about the old timeline are going to have to #bumblekast them and hope he's able to answer.

Ah. I will look forward to the solicits.

I don't think this has been confirmed, and even if it were, I don't know that Ian would have trouble writing for both the film and the book. He probably has the book written a great deal ahead of where we're at now anyway.

That's true, if I'm not mistaken most comic series are planned at least half a year in advance at the very least.

That said if he is involved in the game that could plosably effect him working on the stories for the later half of the year which could be why issues are being delayed by 2-6 weeks to buy him & Archie more time.

I acknowledge of course that this is all speculation on my part.  But yea, I like to think it will only be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things like the printing delay last year.  I just hope whatever is going on it will be resolved soon and we can stop worrying for awhile.

Also I wouldn't be surprised is STH #292 was resolicited for an April release since #291 was pushed back to March 1st.  But hopefully we will still get new SU solicits. :)

Also I'm interested in what the future of the Digest & planned to be revived Super Special Magazine.  If I had to guess I would say those two might end up being shelved for good. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Also I wouldn't be surprised is STH #292 was resolicited for an April release since #291 was pushed back to March 1st.  But hopefully we will still get new SU solicits. :)

actually since march have 5 wednesdays IF the issues are released in the 22th and 1st then we might get one of those 3-comic-month thing (i hope)

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, NikoS said:

actually since march have 5 wednesdays IF the issues are released in the 22th and 1st then we might get one of those 3-comic-month thing (i hope)

That would be awesome!

But yea, anyone know the exact day that Archie usually releases solicits?  I know they usually pop up on Comicvine first but I'm not sure if they'll be up tomorrow, Tuesday or Friday.

Archie Sonic lives!  Hallelujah!  Although now I wonder if this is going to be a weird situation where #291 comes out after #292!?  I know Marvel did that with their Hawkeye comic a couple years back because I remember people being confused about it. 

But yea.  Glad we will be getting more comics, even if the main Stories will be more SEGA Sonic centric from now on and the FF will be pushed to back-up strips.  If that's what it takes to keep the comic going I'm good with it. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

5663957-sth+gn+vol5.jpg

5663958-sonic%23294.jpg 5663959-sonic%23294var.jpg

5663961-sonicuniv%2397.jpg 5663962-sonicuniv%2397var.jpg

It seems like they're gonna be focusing on more game plots, seeing as the latest issue is Sega Sonic.

Very odd indeed. Huh. I would really like some sort of explanation. This whole situation has been a giant mess.

I dunno if we're gonna get more SegaSonic centered stories, could just be a one-off that was always planned. Regardless, news is good news!

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not 100% correct to call this a "SegaSonic story" (despite that being the game's name) since Mighty and Ray aren't focused Sega characters, and essentially are comic-exclusive at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm all out for that cooking competition!! and it seems nicole is finally getting her handheld fixed.

we are also getting a SegaSonic arcade story, when was that game last revisited?

A this point I would say this is an accurate representation of Archie & SEGA'S realationship. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

It's not 100% correct to call this a "SegaSonic story" (despite that being the game's name) since Mighty and Ray aren't focused Sega characters, and essentially are comic-exclusive at this point.

Uh, no, it is? The cover is clearly trying to be SegaSonic the Hedgehog (The arcade game, not the series) and it's also clearly going to be SegaSonic when it says it's gonna be about Sonic, Mighty, and Ray first meeting, and that was their first canonical appearance.

• Thumbs Up 8