Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ian seems like he's just the kind of guy who likes to keep himself busy, so I wouldn't take him co-writing Jughead with waid as anything negative in regards to Sonic.  Lots of writers out there work on 3-4 different titles at once.  But yea between STH, SU, Jughead and that new indie series he announced recently he will be working on 4 books, but that's not anything beyond the realm of possibility for a writer like Ian IMO, he seems to be a pretty energetic & passionate guy when it comes to comics, and since he doesn't have Boom & Megaman to work on anymore he has probably been dyeing for more work!

Although I would be fine if this means others like Yardly, etc can write more stories for Sonic as well.  Heck maybe Ian can get buddy buddy with Mark Waid & we could have him write a super-epic Sonic story for us someday! 

• Thumbs Up 4

Imma leave well enough alone. 

Anywho, people not being too into sonic but writing it , but being professional to have respect for the thing you are writing is something I would like to see. 

On 2/12/2017 at 11:16 AM, Shadowlax said:

I've never heard of her, interesting. 

I consider her a must read in the fanfiction scene. A lot of her stuff is pretty grim, but her a lot of her stuff like Rising Star is pretty groundbreaking in the general context of Sonic fanfiction.

21 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

This isn't his first time on the Archie books; he's done an issue of Young Salem, and Sabrina's stuff is weirdly very close to Jughead currently. 

Not to mention when Mega Man was in it's first year he was writing New Crusaders(which probably would of gone on if Archie didn't miss manage it). Plus he has teased on twitter that he has other comic book projects that he's working on non-Sonic/Archie coming down the line.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Cv4F-VrVMAAdEKq.jpg 

I feel this is perhaps relevant, huh.

Oh, God I love Ryan North. I'm super excited to see what Flynn brings to the series and super excited he's working with one of my all time favorites Mark Waid.

And yeah I wouldn't take this as Sonic's canceled especially since Ian has like three more Secret Projects that he was teasing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, looks like Archie is teaming-up with Marvel to do a Digest for them.  Not sure what to think about this.  I know this will probably make them more money  then the Sonic Digests did, but still. :/

http://www.newsarama.com/33192-marvel-archie-team-up-for-new-co-publishing-initiative.html

Anywho I think the May 2017 Comic Solicits will be out next Tuesday.  So looking forward to seeing what Sonic #295 & SU #98 look like.

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...maybe this team-up will see Marvel co-publishing Sonic?

Please no. The last thing I need is an All-New, All-Different Sonic.

Edit: The recent Sonic comics have been leaps and bounds above what Marvel has been putting out.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...maybe this team-up will see Marvel co-publishing Sonic?

Oh lord I would hope not!   Marvel is a mess comics wise right now, they reboot every six months and their entire comic universe has been more & more of a mess since at least 2006.    Not to mention how poorly they have treated X-Men fans for the most part since 2005's House of M event.   I wouldn't want Marvel anywhere near a licensed comic!  Heck Disney who owns the company even knows better then to let them near any of their properties letting publishers like IDW & Joe Books do the Disney comics instead.

But yea, if anything it probably just means Archie is trying to branch out like IDW (who also works with companies like DC, Marvel, ETC) and work with other publishers for some extra $$$.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Heck Disney who owns the company even knows better then to let them near any of their properties letting publishers like IDW & Joe Books do the Disney comics instead.

But yea, if anything it probably just means Archie is trying to branch out like IDW (who also works with companies like DC, Marvel, ETC) and work with other publishers for some extra $$$.

This is excluding Star Wars, of course, which Marvel does publish, and don't get me started on what Disney has done to Star Wars.

Speaking of IDW working with DC, the Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures crossover has been really good. I've only read the first issue so far, but it has lots of nods to the Batman Animated Series, which definitely earns it some points in my book. It also helps that the currently-running Nickelodeon version of TMNT is my favorite version of that franchise.

“For years, Archie has made the digest format our bread and butter,” said Archie publisher and CEO Jon Goldwater.

So apparently they do make money off those things. :P

“We are supremely excited to spotlight iconic characters like Spider-Man and the Avengers through this major partnership with Marvel. These books will serve as a great introduction to the Marvel Universe for new readers and a very special, curated selection of stories for existing fans.”

Sounds like it could be cool. At the risk of attack by fans, not all Marvel stuff is good, so a nice curated collection of just the good stuff might be interesting—assuming the curation is done well and at least somewhat in-order. If nothing else, it'll potentially get Marvel into the checkout aisles.

It's unclear whether Marvel Comics Digest will feature entirely new content or reprints of any kind. It's also unclear whether any new content included in the Digest will be created by Marvel, Archie, or both.

C'mon, NewsARama, they just said curated. That means reprints, as far as I can tell. It's cute that you don't get that.

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...I meant continue publishing Sonic as it is but with Marvels help.

Yeah. I'd personally prefer that Marvel not "help" when they can't even help themselves. Any improvements they would make to the book, at least editorially, would be negative ones. Sorry, Ernest-Panda. I'm not trying to throw cold water on you, but this idea would make me extremely nervous.

Edit: I do find it humorous that SonicComicFanboy and I both had the same immediate reflex on the matter.

Edit 2: Again, I'm not at all trying to antagonize you, Ernest-Panda. I'm open to any ideas you have on how this potential cooperation between Archie and Marvel on a Sonic book could be a good thing—even if I personally disagree. I have very little faith in Marvel's editorial direction in its comics at present.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Oh lord I would hope not!   Marvel is a mess comics wise right now, they reboot every six months and their entire comic universe has been more & more of a mess since at least 2006.    Not to mention how poorly they have treated X-Men fans for the most part since 2005's House of M event.   I wouldn't want Marvel anywhere near a licensed comic!  Heck Disney who owns the company even knows better then to let them near any of their properties letting publishers like IDW & Joe Books do the Disney comics instead.

What in the world are you even talking about. 

They don't reboot every 6 months. Secret Wars 2, was the first canon wise, reboot in the history of the entirety of marvel comics. This isn't DC where they crisis their shit every few years, marvel starts other canons ussually to get around that, but Secret wars 2 was their crisis and its the first time they did that.  They treat X men fans better than the movies ( unless you like cyclops then i'm sorry ). Also Disney lets them do star wars books

Seriously everything you just said is strait up a lie and wrong. Where did you get any of that information

Edit: also you talking about house of M, You mean that story they walked back, and the proceed to criticize the shit of scarlet witch for doing. You mean that story, like what in the world are you actually talking about 

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They don't reboot every 6 months. Secret Wars 2, was the first canon wise, reboot in the history of the entirety of marvel comics. They treat X men fans better than the movies ( unless you like cyclops then i'm sorry ). Also Disney lets them do star wars books

Seriously everything you just said is strait up a lie and wrong. Where did you get any of that information

Nothing I said was A lie or wrong.  Reboot may have been the wrong word, but they relaunch with NEW #1's like every six months.   Yes Disney owns Lucasfilms as well and yes Marvel Does Star Wars, but they don't trust the company to handle any of their own IP's like Mickey, Donald, Frozen, etc.

Marvel has been giving the X-Men the middle finger since 2005 and more recently tried & failed to replace them with the inhumans. 

Marvel is hands down the WORST comic book publisher for various reasons.  They are more a movie company then a comic book company at this point, the whole reason the crappy Civil War II event even existed was to promote the highly overrated Civil War film.   Marvel's CEO Ike Perlmutter is one of the most greedy, corrupt, evil men in the entertainment industry.  Marvel as a company pretty much only cares about whoring it's I.P.s out as much as possible as opposed to doing anything good with them, and whats even worse is they use diversity as a gimmick to sale comics, why is this bad, because even though the writers and artists of the books may actually care about fighting things like racism, sexism, islamophobia, etc, Marvel as a company only cares about the $$$ they are taking actual serious real world issues and basically just turning them into the comic book version of click-bait!  Which is just flat out wrong!

Which don't get me wrong, I understand every company is jerky & greedy to a point.  But Marvel is flat out the WORST!  They treat their own I.P.s like crap, they only care about their cinematic universe, they don't care how crappy the comics, cartoons or video games they make are as long as they can get them out there, and they purposely give X-Men fans the middle finger just because FOX still owns the movie rights.   Marvel is a horrible company and the one comic book publisher I will NEVER buy anything from!

Getting back on topic though, and to be more positive, I will say if this digest is successful and opens up avenues for Archie to work with more publishers like Boom, IDW, DC, Image, etc to make Digests for them, that would be pretty awesome!

As for Sonic, hopefully once whatever issues are going on between Archie & SEGA we can get Sonic Digests & Magazines back again someday.  I won't hold my breath on that happening of course, but if it ever did that would be nice.

16 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They don't reboot every 6 months. Secret Wars 2, was the first canon wise, reboot in the history of the entirety of marvel comics. This isn't DC where they crisis their shit every few years, marvel starts other canons ussually to get around that, but Secret wars 2 was their crisis and its the first time they did that.

Marvel still does a lot of soft reboots like One More Day to mess things up. (As a side note, even Secret Wars 2 is really just another soft reboot as opposed to a hard one.) I don't think Marvel really respects their characters or their proper status quo, but I believe I discussed my opinions on this earlier in this thread, so I won't belabor the point. The things is that I don't trust them to not constantly change the things we like about a sonic book like they constantly change and remove the things we like about their own books. To be fair, most of my complaints with Marvel are aimed at their work on their own IPs in comic form. With other companies' IPs they might show enough restraint to keep them good. Their Star Wars comics would be an indicator on this one way or the other, but I don't care enough about post-Lucas Star Wars enough to read them and find out.

Edit: I suddenly do want a Donald/Howard the Duck crossover, but it'd probably be bad. I still kind of want it to be a thing anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Nothing I said was A lie or wrong.  Reboot may have been the wrong word, but they relaunch with NEW #1's like every six months.  

One, no they actually don't. But two, that's just a new book. That doesnn't really mean anything besides, there is a new narrative.  That doesn't mean anything of give credence to anything you were arguing. 

Yes Disney owns Lucasfilms as well and yes Marvel Does Star Wars, but they don't trust the company to handle any of their own IP's like Mickey, Donald, Frozen, etc.

Yeah, I don't think its trust. I probably because they don't think marvel branding would help that. Keeping your branding seperate helps, when you want to view different parts of the property you own as different things. Big Hero 6 is a marvel property but they don't go advertising that too much, because they want that to be separate from the normal marvel universe. So this isn't some , we don't trust you thing you have made up completely in your head with no substantial evidence whatsoever to support it. 

Its businesses wanting to keep separate demographics and business interests separate for the most part. 

Marvel has been giving the X-Men the middle finger since 2005 and more recently tried & failed to replace them with the inhumans. 

That's not true. While yes marvel has been trying to push the inhumans, giving the middle finger to the X men isn't true. The Truth is, during 2005 and the mid 00's x books weren't selling, and the movies fox were putting out, weren't helping. And they wanted to shake up the brand, so during that time , like the rest of marvel comics they attempted a bunch of events to try and shake things up and when they work, they scrapped it. And the closest thing you could say is " giving the middle finger to the X men " would be the whole terrigen mists thing marvel is doing with X men and the Inhumans right now. But even then, the only character they screwed over is cyclops, and unfornately they always screw over cyclops for doing his job correctly. Its nothing new 

Marvel is hands down the WORST comic book publisher for various reasons.  They are more a movie company then a comic book company at this point, the whole reason the crappy Civil War II event even existed was to promote the highly overrated Civil War film.  

Civil war 2 is bad, I wont argue that. But People love the Civil war film, so I don't know why your dislike of the film was even a point to make here . Also DC also does events and things to tie in to their films. Its why Justice league vs Suicide Squad happened. Archie does this with things like mega drive, them doing tie in things is fine and isn't something to criticize them for. The quality sure, the concept, that's just good business. 

Marvel's CEO Ike Perlmutter is one of the most greedy, corrupt, evil men in the entertainment industry. 

Yeah he's a racist fuck head, luckily he just a share holder and disney and marvel don't listen to him. 

Marvel as a company pretty much only cares about whoring it's I.P.s out as much as possible as opposed to doing anything good with them,

That's not true. Considering the reason their movies are so successful is because they commuted to quality 

and whats even worse is they use diversity as a gimmick to sale comics, why

Or, there are people who work on comics, and who read comics who aren't whit white dudes who are glad to see all these diverse characters. And you claiming its " diversity for diversity's sake is completely devaluing their  enjoyment of these characters and the people who write them. 

So I ask again WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT. You are literally making shit up in your head with out unsubstanciated

is this bad, because even though the writers and artists of the books may actually care about fighting things like racism, sexism, islamophobia, etc, Marvel as a company only cares about the $$$ they are taking actual serious real world issues and basically just turning them into the comic book version of click-bait!  Which is just flat out wrong!

What the hell are you even talking about. DId you just suggest putting different types of people in roles of power, is " Click bait" instead of diversifying the white male eccentric medium that is comic books? What in the hell are you even talking about. The thing you are doing is worse than the thing you are claiming them to do. Because even if its for monetary gain they are still introducing super heroes to groups of people who never had a lot of heroes in comics before. You are just devaluing that by saying its " click bait" , what does that even mean by the way. Its click bait for miles morales to exist, instead of someone wanting to write  a story about a black spider man. Your point makes even less sence when you consider there are comic book arists and writers who work for marvel who are apart of these under represented groups. So  now you are devaluing their work by suggesting those people are also working for " click bait " . 

What in the hell are you even talking about at all?

Which don't get me wrong, I understand every company is jerky & greedy to a point.  But Marvel is flat out the WORST!  They treat their own I.P.s like crap, they only care about their cinematic universe, they don't care how crappy the comics, cartoons or video games they make are as long as they can get them out there, and they purposely give X-Men fans the middle finger just because FOX still owns the movie rights.   Marvel is a horrible company and the one comic book publisher I will NEVER buy anything from!

They treat their IP's pretty great, they have a bunch of good content, a goddamned marvel VS capcom game is coming out this year. And while the fox thing sucks, that isn't reflective of whats going on at marvel as a whole. 

It sounds like you just don't like the x men stories for the last few years and proceed to blame in on , minority characters and marvel movies. 

20 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Marvel is a horrible company and the one comic book publisher I will NEVER buy anything from!

So I take it that you're not going to be buying any of the Marvel digests put out by Archie?

20 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

As for Sonic, hopefully once whatever issues are going on between Archie & SEGA we can get Sonic Digests & Magazines back again someday.  I won't hold my breath on that happening of course, but if it ever did that would be nice.

@Shadowlax:   You do not to get to play that game & that card!   I am not blaming Sh*t on minority characters!  The minority characters like Miles Morales & Khamala Khan are AWESOME!  The problem is the context into which Marvel uses them.  They don't care that the people who work on the books are actually trying to fight bigotry, they only care about making money off of it!

If you want to live in your own alternate reality where Marvel aren't completely greedy evil sh*theads just like Ike Perlmutter that's fine, but not all of us can live there.  The MCU films are overhyped as heck!  The company has used them as an excuse to treat the cartoons, comics & games as advertisements for the movies.  And relaunching a book at a new #1 for every new story arc is tedious & stupid.

Also lets not forget it was Marvel who made the endless variant covers & event comics popular, it is Marvel that is pushing for the regular price of comics to be $4.99 and $5.99 for event books. 

As for MegaDrive & JL VS SS those didn't interrupt then narrative of the entire universe they were set in like CWII did.

People can be big a Marvel Zombies as they want, but it doesn't change the fact the company has zero respect for anything other then the all-mighty dollar.  I have no respect for Marvel, I haven't in a long time, and the way things are going with the publisher I most likely never will again.

But getting back on topic.   Again, on the bright side if this is successful perhaps we could see Archie Digests from other publishers in the future as well, which would be kind of neat, really the possibilities for digests is endless, it all just comes down to who is willing to play ball.

Neat. I mean I don't think this will have any effect on Sonic myself but that's pretty cool. I kinda hope each issue has at least an 8-page new story maybe done by Flynn?

As for the quality of Marvel itself can't really speak for it I'm way behind on Comics. But I will say I do like that Marvel give their writers creative freedom for the most part. Ryan North doesn't have to alter his own voice for Squirrel Girl and can be just as nuts as he was on Adventure Time. Someone pitched the idea "What if a cartoon character came to life and didn't understand real world physics" and they took it. To say nothing of my brothers personal favorite Marvel Property Moon Knight which has been a mind screw for a very long time.

So yeah Marvel has problems but at least for the most part they let their creators create. Even if it is revealing Cap is a secret Hydra Agent.

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Neat. I mean I don't think this will have any effect on Sonic myself but that's pretty cool. I kinda hope each issue has at least an 8-page new story maybe done by Flynn?

lol. That'd be interesting. Anything good for Archie is good for Sonic, assuming Archie continues to publish the book.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

@Shadowlax:   You do not to get to play that game & that card!  

When we are talking about comic books and you literally go " you know whats really wrong with comic books, these forced diversity characters" its really not hard too. That suggests that those characters are there, because they were " forced" not because it was a company wide initiative to be more inclusive and promote growth of their brand across the world Giving different kinds of people who might like super heroes, super heroes that they can in many ways identify with, outside of the Hetero-normative white male norms.

So there's that. 

Also there are... people who are different races, sexual identities, genders ect... who work at marvel and Disney at large... who want these things. So are you suggesting that these people are some how... " fake" because they are real.Because those people certainly want more diversity.... but you suggested its forced.  For some reason 

I am not blaming Sh*t on minority characters! 

You literally just did though. What do you think "forced diversity" is, a sandwhich?

The minority characters like Miles Morales & Khamala Khan are AWESOME!  The problem is the context into which Marvel uses them.  They don't care that the people who work on the books are actually trying to fight bigotry, they only care about making money off of it!

You know this... how? What context are you even talking about, you aren't providing an example of this context. And you are suggesting they don't care because they make money if caring about a cause means that you can't make money off it a lot of companies would be dead ass broke. And one of the reasons your statements make even less sense is because making money off of people that marvel previously ignored... is something a business should do. So your forced diversity crticism makes no sense, and would make marvel less diverse.  You are literally taking super heroes away from people... because they make money? But that's the point of a product... it makes money? Everything you are suggesting leads to less diversity, and has no explanation for it. So how can you blame me for suggesting that are you are doing is blaming minority group characters for your disdain for modern marvel comics. 

If you want to live in your own alternate reality where Marvel aren't completely greedy evil sh*theads just like Ike Perlmutter that's fine, but not all of us can live there. 

Its this reality, its why they forced perlmutter of all MCU projects , comic projects and the only thing he has sort of control of is the toys devision. Because the people at Disney don't agree with his racist ass

The MCU films are overhyped as heck! 

That is your opinion yes. 

The company has used them as an excuse to treat the cartoons, comics & games as advertisements for the movies. 

That's how cooperative branding works yes. Sonic does this with the comics and cartoons, so does pokemon, yugioh ect ect. 

And relaunching a book at a new #1 for every new story arc is tedious & stupid.

It denotes that this is a new story and incites the viewer to read it. It makes money. And gives a potential reader a starting point, not having to navigate the tedum of books numbered in the literal hundreds just to find A story they heard was good

Also lets not forget it was Marvel who made the endless variant covers & event comics popular, it is Marvel that is pushing for the regular price of comics to be $4.99 and $5.99 for event books. 

Actually that was DC for event comics, considering they are literally known for the most popular event comics of all time. And you are going to need to show me proof of variant covers... and even so all variant covers are doing is giving more artists more work. And as an artist... I don't see the problem, if you don't like that cover, don't buy that cover. 

As for MegaDrive & JL VS SS those didn't interrupt then narrative of the entire universe they were set in like CWII did.

Worlds unite did. Which was trying to push the entire brand of capcom and Sega. 

People can be big a Marvel Zombies as they want, but it doesn't change the fact the company has zero respect for anything other then the all-mighty dollar.

They do seem to have respect for somethings. But them liking money makes, sense. They aren't your friend, they are a business. 

I have no respect for Marvel, I haven't in a long time, and the way things are going with the publisher I most likely never will again.

Sucks to be you marvel is dope. 

Marvel is NOT Dope!   Minority characters like Khamala Khan, America Chavez, etc deserve a better publisher.  Your excuses for Marvel's lack of common human decency and shady business practices doesn't justify them. And no, Marvel has pushed event comics & variant covers 10x more then DC over the past decade or so.

If you want good comics with diversity plenty of smaller publishers have works like Lumberjanes, Backstagers, Goldie Vance, Princeless, etc. Which do a pretty good job with Female, Minority & LBGTQ individuals.

I will admit liking or disliking movies is subjective, but being against crappy companies is not.  There is a very small list of Companies I just can't stand, but Marvel is darn well near the top!

• Thumbs Up 2

I always find it kind of funny how arguments about Marvel tend to go "They're too Politically Correct" and "They aren't Politically Correct enough".

I'm for Political Correctness BTW (Read Not being a Douche) it's just really funny to me how Marvel is both Woke and not Woke depending on who you talk to.

• Thumbs Up 2