Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Don't know if this could be another sign or not but Ian Flynn Recently put up three secret video Game Projects he's working on.

Side note I wonder if that Script Doctor job on the first one is what I think it is?

This is where I make a snide remark about even doctors only being able to do so much with what they're given. :P

I believe I am also assuming this is the same thing you're assuming that it is.

Edit: My pessimistic assumption is that Ian is doing his best to dress up Generations-esque dialogue for Sonic Generations 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

So in the midst of all this confusion about the comics, I've decided to write a letter to both Sega and Archie. The letter isn't to criticize them for anything, I just wanted to send a positive letter about how I appreciated the comics and the impact they had on me. I didn't write anything about them cancelling the comics, but I did say that I hope to see them continue.

I figured it was a good way to get my own opinion out there. Not that I feel like its highly possible they are going to cancel the comics; but I feel as though the comic fans should deserve a better voice than Sega and Archie have given us in the past. If anybody else wants to try, I've sent my letters to Aaron Webber and Vincent Lovallo using these addresses:

Mr Aaron Webber

Public Relations Department

SEGA of America, Inc.

250 East Olive Avenue #200

Burbank, CA 91502

ATTN: Vincent Lovallo

c/o Archie Comic Publications, Inc.

629 Fifth Ave.

Pelham, New York 10803-1242

• Thumbs Up 4

22 hours ago, Borvoc said:

This is where I make a snide remark about even doctors only being able to do so much with what they're given. :P

I believe I am also assuming this is the same thing you're assuming that it is.

Edit: My pessimistic assumption is that Ian is doing his best to dress up Generations-esque dialogue for Sonic Generations 2.

Yes that is what I'm assuming. Also Hah Ha Because Pontac and Graff are supposedly awful. Yeah that's real funny real original work there. Definitely isn't completely played out at this point. 

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yes that is what I'm assuming. Also Hah Ha Because Pontac and Graff are supposedly awful. Yeah that's real funny real original work there. Definitely isn't completely played out at this point. 

Sorry. I didn't mean to attack Pontac and Graff personally. I merely mean to state that, though it's good to presumably have Ian on the project, his input will likely be rather limited. Seeing as how Generations decided to tie its levels together with little vignettes instead of a more fleshed-out story (or even a lack of story, which may have suited the game fine), he might not have much to work with either.

I may not like the storytelling or the stories of the recent Sonic games, but I can't simply lay that directly at the feet of the writers, as they may have similarly been dealing with limitations in the form of lack of or poor direction, editorial mandates, etc. You never know what goes into these things.

Sorry if I was misunderstood or if I am simply misunderstanding a misunderstanding. :P

• Thumbs Up 5

36 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Sorry. I didn't mean to attack Pontac and Graff personally. I merely mean to state that, though it's good to presumably have Ian on the project, his input will likely be rather limited. Seeing as how Generations decided to tie its levels together with little vignettes instead of a more fleshed-out story (or even a lack of story, which may have suited the game fine), he might not have much to work with either.

I may not like the storytelling or the stories of the recent Sonic games, but I can't simply lay that directly at the feet of the writers, as they may have similarly been dealing with limitations in the form of lack of or poor direction, editorial mandates, etc. You never know what goes into these things.

Sorry if I was misunderstood or if I am simply misunderstanding a misunderstanding. :P

Ah, ok. Sorry if I was a little too angry there I'm just so tired of the constant bashing the scripts get nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/27/2017 at 6:28 AM, Meta77 said:

I just wish they would just say if the comics cancelled or not

So far, Archie's tactic seems to be "if we ignore it, the problem will go away". And that just isn't the case, people are every bit as amped up as they are a month ago.

You figured they'd have learned that didn't work the first few times when people got tense over the reboot and the previous delay.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

You figured they'd have learned that didn't work the first few times when people got tense over the reboot and the previous delay.

You would, but Archie has thoroughly proven their capacity to not learn.

I'm still sticking with even Archie doesn't know how this is going to end yet or aren't allowed to talk about it. Maybe we should continue to monitor the court case in addition to the solicits (or lack thereof) in case they're related. I've really enjoyed how posters in this thread have been able to track relevant information up to this point. It's helped me continue to feel connected to the book in lieu of recent releases--not that I don't have trades to go back to or anything. Or a real life.

• Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of which, does anyone know if we have any developments in the Fulop case? I don't know how to tumblr. or whatever.

At this point I would at least like some acknowlwdgement on Archie's part would be nice.  Even a simple tweet of "Sonic Comics Return To Shelves This Summer"  or "Sorry For The Delays" would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 5

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're either not in a position or not allowed to even discuss the property.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, Borvoc said:

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're either not in a position or not allowed to even discuss the property.

True, though I don't think anyone was blaming the person (or people?) who run the social media account. That said I'm sure there are people who do--it must be tough to run accounts like that sometimes. :/ But yeah, people should keep in mind that they're either as in the dark as we are or they just aren't allowed to tell us anything.

We can still blame Archie as a company though, so that's fun

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, expected. 

Only thing is that I'm not sure if it would get confirmed via order form like the graphic novels; those don't seem to include regular comic format series like Mega Drive or the two running series. 

It was on Previewsworld, but nowhere else it seems. FP has the original March 1st date too.

Checked on Comixology too...they haven't even got an entry for it. 

5 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Something I later noticed: the store says the expected release date is March 1st. Could be they thought it was cancelled cause they passed it and got nothing.

Still I have absolutely no experience with the store so I don't know.

That could be the case and it probably auto-cancels when they don't receive a shipment.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Could be they thought it was cancelled cause they passed it and got nothing.

Sounds plausible, but wouldn't the reason given be something other than "cancelled by publisher," which definitely sounds like an active cancellation? Unless that's just the default, which would fit in with the theory that it was an automatic thing based on the release date...

Trying to look into this further, I am noticing a couple of trends.

1. Trying to find places selling Overdrive pre-orders is a bitch.

2. Part of the problem is that I'm running into quite a few "ghost" entries; it looks like the site sold it previously, but when I click the link it's simply not there. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I swear, this all still points back to Sega and Archie being held up in court by Fulop. I had recently been looking through several of the legal documents to this case and noticed that on January 3. Fulop made some more further claims against both Archie and SEGA about their business together. More specifically, he is basing those claims on the Merchandising Agreement, which is the contract between SEGA of America and Archie, as opposed to the comic license that SEGA of Japan has direct control over, i guess :\. 

According to an statement issued by Sega's lawyers, the claims that Fulop made were so vague that they didn't specify what actions or conduct by SEGA infringed on Narrative Ark's copyrights. I'm trying to see if my business law professor can shed some more light on this. For those of you who do have access to case documentation I got this info from Doc # 67 (which should be Sega's reply to dismiss the amended complaint) for Case # 7:16-cv-06109-VB for the United States District Court - Southern District of New York.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yo, I'm just gonna expect the best while preparing for the worst, a'ight?

Wouldn't surprise me at this point if everything we didn't want to happen happens.

• Thumbs Up 2