Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Yeah, i'm sure work is on hold. Evan at least has been working on her own stuff from what I see on her tumblr. The last thing she did for Archie was a variant cover that was supposed to come out like two months ago. Flynn has been quiet too. And I think the likeness of Flynn working on Sonic Forces as a side writer are very, very slim. Nakamura is the producer, and that guy likes to work. I don't think he will want to rely too much on foreign writers like lizuka did. 

And I mean, as far as Flynn goes he hasn't even said Megaman is cancelled, even though we all know it is. He'll be the last person to tell us if the comics are cancelled. He just doesn't have the power to do this stuff guys.

Sad that they probably won't be able to even make a proper ending or even a quickie. For all we know our finale was the end of the Shattered World Crisis arc, the Chaotix saving the princess, and the Sonic CD adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Technically, Ian not saying that Mega Man's cancelled is correct as the official word was hiatus as opposed to cancellation (which was Boom). However, it doesn't seem likely that it will be resumed when Capcom's got the plans for the animated show in the pipeline so they're busy focusing on that. 

Edit: Also have to slightly correct myself; The Archie Jumbo Digest isn't the only Archie title out this week, but the other one is an Archie Best of 2016 Annual. 

• Thumbs Up 4

25 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

And I think the likeness of Flynn working on Sonic Forces as a side writer are very, very slim. Nakamura is the producer, and that guy likes to work. I don't think he will want to rely too much on foreign writers like lizuka did.

Ian lists himself as being a/the script doctor for his Secret Project #1, whatever that is. If it's Sonic Forces, then that means he's more of a localizer on the project as opposed to someone who's actually deciding what the overall story is going to be. No matter how hardworking Mr. Nakamura is, he probably still needs someone to localize his script to the English language, and that could, for all we know, be Ian, as goes the rumor. If it is Ian, though, I doubt localizing a script is enough to keep him busy for very long. Still a nice foot in the door if it's true.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well that is correct. And if the comic is cancelled and that is true then at least Flynn got to sorta help out in the games in a way. That's something.

Not Sonic-related, but I felt this recent announcement was worth bringing up in terms of how Archie are operating as a company:

http://ew.com/books/2017/03/21/archie-comics-teases-a-major-death/

To sum up: the ongoing Archie series (of the rebooted NEW RIVERDALE line) are beginning a storyline in their 20th issue where an important character could be dying.

Not all that out of place on its own. Archie have been no stranger to bumping off their characters in their different iterations in recent years.

But here's the thing:

Archie #20 was ALREADY solicited in the May solicits (the most recent batch) and it was completely different!

So what the hell is this incredibly last-minute change in direction all about?

Are they, dare I say, struggling and trying to grab readers?

• Thumbs Up 7

17 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Are they, dare I say, struggling and trying to grab readers?

That'd be my thought. Unnecessarily killing off a character in a slice of life book just screams misguided desperation. The Sonic book's ability to avoid this sort of comic book garbage is one of the things that makes/made it so enjoyable. I don't know Mark Waid, but maybe this is what Archie gets for importing talent from the shock-dependent greater comic book industry.

Edit: Unless this is all a misdirection, which is still misguided comic book industry garbage.

Edit 2: Maybe we can get endless events, character misrepresentation, and constant reboots next. Maybe Jughead will become a legacy character after Death of Jughead. Then all the other characters can fight for his mantle / cardboard crown. Maybe a new young female and/or minority character that everyone can relate to will take his place so we can please all the politically correct non-readers and get a few days of fake buzz from a politicized online media.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fair, I guess, though I'm sure there's overlap.

Edit: It's too early to judge, in all fairness, but what if the mystery death is the death of Archie comics and they just haven't figured it out yet? That'd be a real plot twist. I don't wish any ill of Archie, but I have a low tolerance for this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Sonic books haven't done that too much, closest thing I can recall would maybe be the stuff before reboot, around 225-247 I'd suppose. They tried to get enough momentum but Penders thing happened and it kind of collapsed.

... Have you two noticed how well the texts after your nicknames fit together? Is it intentional? :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

Issue 20 seems a bit early to kill off a character. Either Archie is really confident that this character has run their course and made a strong enough impact on readers, or they're really desperate for attention and will do anything to regain relevance.

Hopefully Sonic doesn't have any such issues, assuming it's not already lost.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

... Have you two noticed how well the texts after your nicknames fit together? Is it intentional? :blink:

It felt like a question that deserved an answer, so I did my best to provide. I wasn't sure anyone would ever notice. :P

Edit: So basically, props for noticing.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Borvoc said:

It felt like a question that deserved an answer, so I did my best to provide. I wasn't sure anyone would ever notice. :P

Oh gee, it just took me to see them on line like that to notice. Nice thing it happened, the world wouldn't have ever known about it without you two posting like that. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Next issue of Archie Sonic: Ken Penders comes to my house and slams a giant barrel full of Lara-Su chronicles merch over my head, instantly killing me.

• Thumbs Up 7

Aw, man. You were a good character too. Hopefully they retcon your death or bring you back again in the annual reboot.

At least it wasn't echidnas.

• Thumbs Up 3

Matches up with what they accidentally let slip on the stream last night.

Just now, Mayor D said:

Matches up with what they accidentally let slip on the stream last night.

That they don't know anything on it?

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

That's all greek to me. I know nothing of law... Is the case going good or what?

Looks...bad, maybe? It looks like Fulop managed to get something Archie filed dismissed, possibly a counter-claim. 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

That they don't know anything on it?

Well, Aaron has been asked it directly once, and commented on it last night, and in both occasions his response was kinda a dodge and almost as if he didn't know what the problem was, just that there was a problem.

But last night Alex was also there and said something slightly different which suggested that they were aware of what was going on, think it was something like "Not yet, no" which sounds more like they know what the problem is, at least it's a problem which isn't just an archie thing, whereas Aaron has been more 'I don't have any news on that right now'. 

• Thumbs Up 2