Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

At the very least, I'm slightly more reassured that they're "talking," implying negotiations are still going on and the book isn't 100% canned yet. Still could VERY easily go South, but I'll hold on to that little bit of hope for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Looks...bad, maybe? It looks like Fulop managed to get something Archie filed dismissed, possibly a counter-claim. 

Not quite. It seems Fulop tried to file a motion to get the case dismissed and it looks like and it seems the judge has ordered said motion terminated. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Walkie talkie man!

You know, it kind of speaks volumes when both SEGA and Archie feel obliged to let the fans know when they get news.

Because why would Archie want anybody to know about its shitty business practices of screwing over a licensed comic book so they could focus on there own brand. That kind of shady shit would raise concerns over violations of the contract, wouldn't it? You think SEGA would let them just sit on the license and do absolutely nothing, meaning they are making no money from it, while they go and screw over the fans?

Even if it wasn't cancelled, I think it's likely Sega will pull out of their business with Archie. This is a important year for them, releasing two major titles in the same year. They can't be dealing with yet another dumb court case over meaningless stuff and Archie showing zero interest on it and focusing on their own show. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Not quite. It seems Fulop tried to file a motion to get the case dismissed and it looks like and it seems the judge has ordered said motion terminated. 

Oh wait, I actually got a proper translation of that section from TheAmazingSallyHogan

The motion that wasn’t declared moot is the “updated/newer/fixed” motion.  

All that happened is that Narrative Ark’s lawyer basically went “oh hang on, that first motion needed a bit of fixing, throw it out, here’s the updated version” and the judge went “okay”.

So basically it was a very technical way of doing an amendment. 

So for the last few months, online comic reading sites and comic shops have not been selling the comics due to potential internal legal problems or the Riverdale TV show taking the team who do Sonic to write the prequel series. It is unfair not to have an update  SEGA or Archie themselves 

15 hours ago, JC_Mike said:

You know, it kind of speaks volumes when both SEGA and Archie feel obliged to let the fans know when they get news.

Because why would Archie want anybody to know about its shitty business practices of screwing over a licensed comic book so they could focus on there own brand. That kind of shady shit would raise concerns over violations of the contract, wouldn't it? You think SEGA would let them just sit on the license and do absolutely nothing, meaning they are making no money from it, while they go and screw over the fans?

I don't know if this is what you're getting at, @JC_Mike, but with the update on the legal situation, it seems very possible to me that all this nonsense has nothing at all to do with Archie supposedly shelving Sonic for Riverdale. I'd argue, on the contrary, that Archie has the incentive, time, and resources to continue to let Ian & co. do their thing while the rest of Archie focuses on pushing and developing Riverdale, etc.

12 hours ago, Blue Speedster said:

So for the last few months, online comic reading sites and comic shops have not been selling the comics due to potential internal legal problems or the Riverdale TV show taking the team who do Sonic to write the prequel series. It is unfair not to have an update  SEGA or Archie themselves 

I think it's less about online and low-bandwidth comic sites refusing to sell Sonic comics for either of your stated reasons as it is about them not being able to sell the comics due to Archie not releasing them, again, for either of your stated reasons, of which I'm betting on the former. I don't know who all from the Sonic team are writing Riverdale-related stuff, but Ian, for one, can multitask quite efficiently and enjoys working multiple projects. I assume the others are similarly skilled in that regard and would be more than happy to continue simultaneous work on the Sonic books once given the go-ahead.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, yeah, no Overdrive coming out on March 29th. 

Edit: This was originally pertaining to the schedule list, but it is actually listed as outright cancelled on the cancellation list.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Champions is also cancelled on the list.

Sonic #293 is "to be resolicited". 

• Thumbs Up 3

^What's actually interesting is that there's some other stuff that Archie's cancelled by themselves as well. Is that even that usual to them? Has anybody heard anything about their orders of Overdrive yet?

I've been wondering about something a bit. Maybe there's a problem about some plotpoints happening too much differently from what Sega has been planning, and the thing occurred to them now, like maybe there's something they'd like to do with certain things and that would cause problems within comics.

If that's the thing, I suppose it would be most likely something about some characters since estabilishing their placement towards the comic (history/(lack of) characteristics/etc.) is seemingly the most usual problem. And if that's the case I'm starting to get creeps...

So could it be Sega maybe wants only sonic Sega branded characters.  just what the hells going on! Seriously

23 hours ago, Borvoc said:

That'd be my thought. Unnecessarily killing off a character in a slice of life book just screams misguided desperation. The Sonic book's ability to avoid this sort of comic book garbage is one of the things that makes/made it so enjoyable. I don't know Mark Waid, but maybe this is what Archie gets for importing talent from the shock-dependent greater comic book industry.

Mark Waid is a much better writer than this. Read Superman Birthright. It's a great story.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what I wanted to post when I got back from town wasn't that little anvil, but to wax lyrical on SEGA and Archie "talking". 

I don't think Yardley or Lovallo or Archie are lying about that at all, because there's literally no reason to. But to be honest, as much as people want it to mean good things, it seems...bad to me. 

1. These talks are assumingly not new. Things wouldn't have just stopped in the middle of January (January being the time when licences get renewed), Archie and SEGA left to twiddle their thumbs for two months and then go "Oh wait, yeah that comic!" and talk then. It's safe to say they've been talking all that time, and if they're still not agreed on the fate of the licence after two months, that generally means they're not seeing eye to eye. 

2. Riverdale has perhaps delayed some issues before, but it has not stopped other properties being released while it's running; Just look at Black Hood, which got an issue release recently and has one announced for June. 

3. When the comic gap first came up, the comics that were due to come out were consistently rescheduled to a later date on their PW entries. For the last couple of weeks, they haven't been touched despite their dates rapidly approaching, which suggests to me that Archie don't think they have much chance to hold on to their end any more. Sonic #293 was put at 2, but so was Worlds Unite #3 last month, and I'm very much expecting that to be cancelled off at some point (it took 2 months for SSD#8 to be cancelled after being put to resolicit, SSSM#14 3 months). 

• Thumbs Up 5

I highly doubt it's Forces plot interfering to be honest. When the comics adapt the games, they sually make it their own standalone even if it makes no sense with the current arc or whatever. Remember back in like 230 something when Sonic and Co. went to the Olympics in the middle of the freajkin' apocalypse? And some other times they just ignore it. Lost World's plot wasn't adapted at all. It happened off panel. Instead there was an original story feauring the D6 in a Halloween special. 

Though it could be that Sega does want to get rid of the OC characters finally. I wouldn't blame them tbh. What with them getting sued like twice already and still carrying 20 something year old characters that have nothing to do with the games and only take time away from the Game characters. The comics after all are mostly made to promote the games. S

Yeah, but it wasn't a straight up adaptation of Lost World's plot. Flynn was even asked when would the events of Lost World take place in the comic, and he said it happened off-panel. The D6 even showed up in the Worlds Collide event, and that's like their prequel to Lost World. But the events of Lost World itself are not shown.

Disregard that, it actually IS an adaptation. I totally forgot it. It's even a word for word adaption. I guess I confused my info about what Flynn said.

Though still to me the notion that Sega would actually care that much about what happens in the comic doesn't seem that realistic to me. They pretty much let them do whatever they wanted outside of some minor mandates (Don't change the designs of the game characters too much, don't pair up game characters with other game characters). It was only after the lawsuit that Sega actually took notice to what was happening in the comics. Such as the greatly altered canon and background of their characters (Sonic having a name, parents, wife and kids and all kinds of stuff, Amy's age and also having a family, Tail's family, Knuckle's entire Penderization Enchilada Adventure, etc). Things that they shouldn't have allowed to happen in the first place. So they rebooted and got rid of all of it. But still, they just basically added a lot more mandates and that's it. They don't really care what the comic does as long as it follows the mandates. If a game comes up they make a special for it and that's the adaption.

To me, the real problem is between Archie and Sega regarding corporate problems and stuff like that. Possibly Archie misusing the brand, not promoting it enough, the Fullop lawsuit, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe Ian's statement regarding the Lost World comic was something along the lines of it happened in the new comic continuity but later in the timeline. Worlds Unite being erased from the timeline even allowed it to continue being the case.

• Thumbs Up 3

Um, to be honest, when they started adapting Sonic in other medias than the games there wasn't that much of a background for making stories, even something as lightweight than AoStH needed to take at least some liberties even when it wasn't really having so much of a straightforward continuity. And considering how 1D the game characters are nowadays I find it interesting how people want to get rid of all of the other cast.

Look, I suppose this is a bit hard for me to explain, but the feeling just is there, something could be happening that could be affecting the character-growth in the comics. It could be considered as a possibility as long as there's no word set in stone of what's going on.

And I'll say this yet again; 20+ years or not, I like the aspects they bring to the comic continuity. I like how they develop and thus actually have something to offer for me. I'm interested in those characters and what's happening to them and the environment they're interacting with. If there's just game characters, writing stuff that doesn't start to repeat itself too much after some stories because of borders considering character developement licensor might put down just becomes a harder task than it already is. Quite frankly, the concentration of interesting characters -for me- would decrease so much I'd be on the verge of stopping buying. Heck, I'm even considering hopping totally off of the Forces bandwagon if comics get cancelled, I'm that kind of twisted guy; if Sega intentionally tries to steer me away from the stuff I like I'll most certainly not do like they'd like me to do, call it Finnish stubbornness all that I care. Then I'd probably be stuck with non-US comics again, not like that'd be actually that bad, considering I'm following some stuff that actually works; characters with tens of years of history behind them can work IF the writers can do stuff with them and they know what's the core of the character in question. All those albums just tend to take so much time to get out though... but I'll wait since it's usually pretty good stuff.

And by that I'd leave to read European stuff and the only manga I'm really invested in; One Piece. And it won't end as long as the publisher gets enough money out of it to be happy, or when Oda gets it done. Muahahaa!

• Thumbs Up 3

Well it could he trying to get it down to one universe rather than 50 something characters in no media other than comics.  and as for story build up i wonder what Sega would have done with the I've cast has it been successful in its t.v. format

I'm gonna be honest I think Nicole and Sally are the only FF worth keeping. Anton and Bunnie's story are done, they have little to do anymore. Rotor... Well Rotor was always sorta just there. He's got more development in the Reboot what with the story of his dad but he's still quite uninteresing as a character. And the rest are already erased so... Besides, it never fit Sonic Team's style to travel aboard this Star Ship going around the world as a team. Sonic is not opposed to teamwork but he doesn't operate like that. And as barebones as the games were in the beggining, Archie took some really heavy liberties even back then. And when the games actually introduced tons of lore and character growth they totally ignored it in favor of their own stuff (Those were the Pender years, who I remind you didn't even play any of the games. That's why they failed to adapt Sonic Adventure's story into the comic). I could go on and on. Really the only writer that ever cared to actually do the part of adapting elements from the games was Flynn. Penders and Bollers screwed it up too much, and Gallagher and DeCesare were just trying to be funny (Don't get me wrong, they were, and they didn't screw up the way Penders and Bollers did, but sill, they kinda did their own thing too instead of trying to make a Sonic comic). 

19 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I'm gonna be honest I think Nicole and Sally are the only FF worth keeping. Anton and Bunnie's story are done, they have little to do anymore.

No offense, dude. But people really need to stop saying this, because it's not true for any character.

When a character's story is done, they can be given a new one later. It's one thing if a writer decides to end that character's role or presence permanently and say their story is done (or backpedal/retcon on that for whatever reason), but beyond that there's no such thing as a character having little to do--that's usually either a case of the writer lessening the role for other characters before doing something with them later or a fault of the writer who doesn't know what to do with them, something which is rarely the case with Ian given that he always gives any character he can something to work with and builds the world to a point where he can make a greater use of that character's presence later down the line.

This is double for Antoine and Bunnie since they were scheduled to get individual Universe arcs before the series got delayed, which is far from being done and having little to do else they wouldn't have gotten one. A character with little to do now might be given more in the future, so it's best not to write off characters like that.

• Thumbs Up 9

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they completely ignored it all. I suppose there wouldn't had been any "real" humans without the games, and all. They didn't do it in exactly same way as games, but to totally ignore Adventure and others... I wouldn't say as strongly about that matter as you. I'm not saying anything about the quality though, I think I'm not on that kind of wavelength, at least not at the moment.

the FF were supposed to get some more depth in the possibly-still-upcoming Universe issues, so I don't know about that point either. (As Conquering Storm's Servant here says, was quicker than me. ^_^ )

And why should the comics be like the games in the first place? If I'd like to play a game, I'd play that freaking game. And then I'd get angry for myself at taking half an hour for one stage or something. If that's not the reason why, I have no idea, really. And for that, Youtube has been come up with, it has lots of cutscenes as you all probably know already.

And well, I'm not considering it's all about Forces. I suppose that plot has been ready for quite some time now. Considering how little time they have before it supposedly comes out I'd at least hope so.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

I myself was hoping they were killing antione off. Buuuuuuut they didnt

Do Not Say That. I don't want to go through that thing again. Not this "happily married man dies in action because of career and all" thing. Heartbeat already broke my heart that way, and I was too young for that! I'll never forget those last words, it was kind of realistic dying scene for a change. :( :''''''''(

Yeah, I was really hoping Antoine wouldn't die for one.

I wouldn't have been frothing at Ian if he did, because at that point Antoine was very heavily developed and his death would really change a lot in many ways. That said, I'm glad he stayed alive.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't exactly think Anton and Bun are gonna get some huge development man. Those issues were going to be like the first time they were actually gonna get focus on the reboot. And again none of you even mention Rotor, because Rotor really has almost nothing going for him. I don't want anyone written off. But I won't consider it a huge loss if the FF's for real took a backseat and just went to do their own stuff instead of having Sonic, Tails, Amy and Cream be with them. Which seems was actually going to be the case prior to the hiatus, what with the "Branching Paths" thing.

"And why should the comics be like the games in the first place? If I'd like to play a game, I'd play that freaking game. And then I'd get angry for myself at taking half an hour for one stage or something. If that's not the reason why, I have no idea, really. And for that, Youtube has been come up with, it has lots of cutscenes as you all probably know already."

Because... the point of the comics is to promote the games? I mean on an economic standpoint, that's the deal Archie and Sega have. Leaving that aside, because a lot of people really like the games, it's characters and it's setting and don't like it when the comic diminishes or mischaracterizes the game characters and carelessly changes their backgrounds around just to suit their own vision. What Penders did to Sonic and especially Knuckles, what Bollers did to Amy. How Shadow was basically ignored all through Pender's and even Boller's run because they didn't know how to handle a character like him. How Tails was ignored pretty much all the way through the comic's history?

Oh well, i'm complaining about a continuity that doesn't even exist anymore. But I honestly like the reboot, and I get a bit bitter when people complain that it's too much like the game canon. That Flynn doesn't have as much liberty anymore. It's like you guys weren't there to see all the bad stuff the pre-reboot comic did. And how the writers misused their freedom.

Yes, yes we all complain about the Pontaff stuff, but prior to that a lot of us got into Sonic because of games like Adventure, Heroes, the Classic games, Advance, Rush, etc. We didn't exactly get into Sonic because of Pender's echidna fanfiction or Bollers furry sci-fi soap opera did we? 

That I wouldn't mind if it'd mean they'd be still seen in the comics. The point for me is more about whether or not we will have all of non-game characters. I could totally bring up comic-original characters like most Egg Bosses and Meropians, and characters like Lupe and Dulcy that have origins in older stuff. There's so many open roads for exploring (like with Dulcy), so please don't start this now about how Rotor is ignored. How could he been, he has such a damaged family relationship after all. And he's too big of a guy to ignore, really. ^_^ I'm just tired and trying to make it short. it's eleven o'clock (evening) here for pity's sake.

And please comic staff (if anybody sees this and thinks my voice would matter a thing) don't kill Antoine, if it's possible to avoid. I remember Mr. Flynn saying at some point killing of characters was not really on his "to-do" list after all.