Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Frankly I just wanna see more of the game characters in the comic. You know how the situation is with the games these days. We barely get to see them. It's nothing but Sonic this, Eggman that, sometimes Tails... So Sonic Boom and the comic are the only places nowadays where I can get stuff about Team Dark, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Team Chaotix, etc. I just want more of that because I really miss them from the games... I admit the FF's aside from Sally and Nicole have been getting rather ignored so far, but still, the last thing I want is the Game Characters getting ignored on the last place you could have a chance to actually see them do something. But that won't happen anyway. It's even a mandate that every story that focuses on an OC HAS to have a game character on it. Hence Big on Spark of Life, Blaze on Bun's upcoming story, Sonic on Anton's, etc. And I like it that way tbh.

31 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I don't exactly think Anton and Bun are gonna get some huge development man. Those issues were going to be like the first time they were actually gonna get focus on the reboot. 

You don't know that. No one does except for the people writing the comics. There's no telling whether they'll get some huge development or not, especially give how little we know past the solicts we've been given. But that doesn't mean their stories are done, which the whole point I'm making.

And again none of you even mention Rotor, because Rotor really has almost nothing going for him.

Because prior to these delays, we don't know what Ian has in store for Rotor, or any character in the future past what has already been detailed (provided the comics aren't cancelled). So it's best not to assume that a character has nothing given how that can very easily change at any point in time, and that's all the more reason why you shouldn't declare a character's story as "done."

Take the Iron Queen back in the old continuity. She first appeared in issue 60 in 1998, and never appeared again until Ian reused her in 2009--a whopping 10+ years of absence before she was given a new story. Prior to then, one could have said the same thing, but Ian showed otherwise. We should know better than to assume a character is done and have nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 5

And what can even be said of the Iron Queen? She was badly written in 1998 and she was badly written in 2009. A badly written character is gonna be bad no matter how much you try unless you totally change it, at which point it's not even the character it was supposed to be to begin with. But yeah I get your point. I'm just saying, i'm not exactly thrilled to see Rotor again. I don't dislike the guy, i'm just not excited to see him.

The Iron Queen being badly written--a very arguable claim for her return in 2009--is beside the point tho. She had a long absence and wasn't expect to have anything new until Ian gave her something more worthwhile.

That can be done for just about any character at any point in time. Long story short, never assume a character's story is done.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Do you actually care about Rotor, Anton and Bun or are you just arguing for the heck of it? 

Yes, I do care about those characters. But what I'm saying applies to literally every character regardless, not just them.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

1. These talks are assumingly not new. Things wouldn't have just stopped in the middle of January (January being the time when licences get renewed), Archie and SEGA left to twiddle their thumbs for two months and then go "Oh wait, yeah that comic!" and talk then. It's safe to say they've been talking all that time, and if they're still not agreed on the fate of the licence after two months, that generally means they're not seeing eye to eye.

Well things kind of did abruptly stop because Skelly told us that there were things still in progress when the hiatus began. Other than what's going on with the court case, I don't think Sega had an issue with what was going on in the comics. I mean, they did approve an entire arc to the freedom fighters (with a game character in there for marketing purposes I assume). And if Sega was still threatening to pull the license because of them getting pulled into court, they probably would of done it right when Fulop sued them back in August. I'd say the talks are probably about how confident they are getting back to business while Fulop is still hurting their relationship in court. It's probably taking them a while because they are waiting to hear what the Judge says about the counts against Sega and Archie's relationship.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's good then. I'm just saying, I would rather focus on the game characters that the games have been neglecting and the ones the comic doesn't focus on as much (Shadow already has two arcs this reboot, Silver's got The Silver Age all for himself) 

Just now, RictalRose0 said:

Well that's good then. I'm just saying, I would rather focus on the game characters that the games have been neglecting and the ones the comic doesn't focus on as much (Shadow already has two arcs this reboot, Silver's got The Silver Age all for himself) 

That's less neglect and usually something to do with pacing and material. Characters have been getting focus based on what they can contribute, whether their contributions can support the story they're in without being a hassle (because believe it or not, writing ain't as easy as you'd think), whether there's even room for their presence or stories, and if there's material they have that can benefit it. In fact, I think that's one reason why he said he kept Blaze on the backburner until now for one of the upcoming Universe issues.

If there's one thing about Ian that I like, he makes sure nothing can go to waste if he can avoid it (even if he isn't perfect about executing it, like the SWC's rushed arcs post World's Unite). But he has been making use of game characters given his recent use of the Chaotix.

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly the fact that Blaze almost never got attention pre-reboot and post strikes me as Flynn just not getting her character. A lot of people say "oh it's because she's from a different dimension) well that didn't stop Scourge and the No Gang from traveling all across the zones. Hell the comic was always going on about these "zones". And if you don't wanna bring Blaze over from her dimension then why can't Blaze deal with a crisis on the Sol dimension herself? Let's be honest Flynn just doesn't care about Blaze because he doesn't get her. 

9 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Honestly the fact that Blaze almost never got attention pre-reboot and post strikes me as Flynn just not getting her character. A lot of people say "oh it's because she's from a different dimension) well that didn't stop Scourge and the No Gang from traveling all across the zones. Hell the comic was always going on about these "zones". And if you don't wanna bring Blaze over from her dimension then why can't Blaze deal with a crisis on the Sol dimension herself? Let's be honest Flynn just doesn't care about Blaze because he doesn't get her. 

What's there to "not get?"

She's a pyrokinetic princess of the Sol Dimension who guards the Sol Emeralds and the Jeweled Scepter, one who tends to be stoic and dutiful while initially standoffish to those she's not sure to trust but willing to offer help to those she can. She's a lot like Sonic with more responsibilities and less of a drifter (okay, maybe more like Shadow and Knuckles when phrased that way, but you get the idea).

I'm sure Ian gets Blaze and cares enough about her to have around, he either just doesn't know where to take her or hasn't found a place to fit her story. Which isn't hard to see given how little detail there is about Blaze's world to work with without making something up for it. Again, that sounds like a matter of pacing on Ian's end, not a lack of care. And where did he say he didn't want to bring Blaze from her dimension? He already did that once, then brought other characters her dimension twice.

• Thumbs Up 4

What I've learned By listenig to the BumbleKast is the fact Ian does care for Blaze, so by no means lack of care would be the reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

I read the Pirate Plunder arc and that didn't exactly feel like Blaze to me. What's there to not her? Her personality apparently, and her connections to other characters. 

"And where did he say he didn't want to bring Blaze from her dimension?"

It's what people often tell me when I ask why Blaze doesn't really get any focus, that her being from Sol complicates things and such.

"What I've learned By listenig to the BumbleKast is the fact Ian does care for Blaze, so by no means lack of care would be the reason."

He cares and he shows by not putting her in a relevant arc since ever? I can just as easily say I care about a character too. But it's not about saying, it's about doing. Blaze has so much potential and Flynn never explored any of it, not even when he had the liberties to do so.

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

I read the Pirate Plunder arc and that didn't exactly feel like Blaze to me.

Ian didn't write Pirate Plunder Panic.  That was Tracy Yardley.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I read the Pirate Plunder arc and that didn't exactly feel like Blaze to me. What's there to not her? Her personality apparently, and her connections to other characters. 

"And where did he say he didn't want to bring Blaze from her dimension?"

It's what people often tell me when I ask why Blaze doesn't really get any focus, that her being from Sol complicates things and such.

Felt like Blaze to me. Plus, that wasn't Ian who wrote that arc.

And being from Sol can complicate things depending on what Ian wants to do with her. Can't just rip her from her dimension that easily and expect it to work, especially for someone who plots things like Ian.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well then that's even worse. You mean to tell me Flynn hasn't even written anything for Blaze since like,  that arc in pre-reboot Sonic Universe where Amy and Shadow duke it out and Blaze shows up for some reason?

"Felt like Blaze to me. Plus, that wasn't Ian who wrote that arc."

Have you played the Sonic Rush games, or even 06? Since when was Blaze reduced to being a gag character?

2 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Well then that's even worse. You mean to tell me Flynn hasn't even written anything for Blaze since like,  that arc in pre-reboot Sonic Universe where Amy and Shadow duke it out and Blaze shows up for some reason?

No, he wrote for her in Worlds Collide, immediately before Pirate Plunder Panic.  Also, her reason for being in the pre-reboot arc you mentioned was because she was trying to retrieve the Sol Emerald that was being fought over.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I know that. I remember not liking that arc particularly because Rouge was being way too mean. Which I honestly don't think would fit her character that much. To just cruely take the emeralds from Blaze. Anyway, what did Blaze do in Worlds Collide? 'Cause I barely remember how that all went down.

12 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Have you played the Sonic Rush games, or even 06? Since when was Blaze reduced to being a gag character?

Yes. But every character has been a gag character a number of times, even (especially) Shadow.

Doesn't make them less of who they are, it just gives them more levity to make them more enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah but you know, I would like to see an arc where Blaze actually gets to shine and be serious. You know, that stoic and powerful warrior she is in the games? I don't mind if she's in humorous situations. Her friendship with Cream is both funny and heartwarming, and that Sonic Channel comic where she gets embarassed due to the flattery of her friends is one of the funniest things I have seen her in. But still, it just feels like wasted potential to me that the comic never really explored the more serious qualities of Blaze. Only that moment where she goes Super and Kamekamehas that egg ship. 

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Yes. But every character has been a gag character a number of times, even (especially) Shadow.

Doesn't make them less of who they are, it just gives them more levity to make them more enjoyable.

In a context of these characters aren't used often, and then that happens, it does actually make them less of who they are. You talk about shadow, but shadow being jokes is actively criticized a lot of the time, and was so criticized in the rise of lyric game, that the writers of the show admitted they were afraid to even write an episode about the character. And even they did there was at best one joke against him and it was by the lamest character in the show. 

The reason lego batman works is because batman is a super popular character being used all the time,and he's serious. And pointing out how dumb the premise is is hilarious and no one can get mad because this film isn't going to kill batman. But sonic characters don't really have that luxury and luckily shadow for better or for worse has a very persistent fanbase who will criticize shit they don't like. But there are a bunch of characters who are shadow and don't have that. 

And if all their outings are reduced to jokes then it actually does take thing away from these characters because that becomes the perception. 

That said I don't think that's what happening, even sega themselves admit when it comes to shadow and characters like him they are waiting for the right moment to use them. Which why they are absent, they just don't fit the tone they are trying to present and the only times they can get away with that are in meaningless olympic games. There seems to be a reluctance to reduce the characters down to jokes at sega themselves despite what people think the twitter is. 

However, you can actually make characters less of who they are by joking about them all the time. If you want proof, literally look at aquaman for the past untill right now. Character presentation is critcial and its why when licensing the sonic brand they have so many rules

19 hours ago, BlueSky said:

What I've learned By listenig to the BumbleKast is the fact Ian does care for Blaze, so by no means lack of care would be the reason.

As for blaze not being written, from my understanding that's more Blaze isn't actually that popular in combination with sega being weird. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So Flynn doesn't write much about Blaze because Sega doesn't let him? Because I have heard the reason Cream doesn't get to participate in battle is because Sega says she's a pacifist so it's hard to put her in a story. Hmm, but then how come they let him write about Silver as much as he wants? 

16 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

So Flynn doesn't write much about Blaze because Sega doesn't let him? Because I have heard the reason Cream doesn't get to participate in battle is because Sega says she's a pacifist so it's hard to put her in a story. Hmm, but then how come they let him write about Silver as much as he wants? 

IIRC the issue is blaze's world. And possibly marine. 

Like they can use blaze, but for blaze to just be out of her world is weird. When they try to do blaze stories in her world, issues come up. Blaze isn't the only character with context issues as well. IIRC Ian talked about how they don't know what sega even wants to do with gun, and its kind of weird writing for them. Things that sega has established, but haven't expanded on might not care to, but have rules about.

• Thumbs Up 6

53 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC the issue is blaze's world. And possibly marine. 

Like they can use blaze, but for blaze to just be out of her world is weird. When they try to do blaze stories in her world, issues come up. Blaze isn't the only character with context issues as well. IIRC Ian talked about how they don't know what sega even wants to do with gun, and its kind of weird writing for them. Things that sega has established, but haven't expanded on might not care to, but have rules about.

What sucks is that I don't expect SEGA to have any plans to expand Blaze's story, or GUN for that matter. Since '06 bombed, SEGA has been concentrating on Sonic only. Almost every other character else is just... hanging around, I guess?

Guess I should be glad that SEGA at least gave the Chaotix some role in Sonic Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1