Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Sonic Universe: The Shadow Saga (#1-4). Some great character development for Shadow, the introduction of Omega and the "I will kill you" face that Shadow pulls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically what @Ernest-Panda said, but i would add to the current continuity the arcs "Control" and it's follow-up "Ambushed" (Issues #264 - #267), it's a nice reinterpretation of the werehog, and sonic, unlike in the game i might add, having to deal with this transformation and it's effects on him. These two arcs became one of my favorites to go back and read again since the first time i read them, maybe the same happens to you.

Good Reading @rosedust

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm being the "oddball" in here and say about pretty much anything that has come from StH #160 onward (said issue included) is worth trying if you manage to see stuff in somewhere going cheaply enough, it would be inhumane to force anybody hunt them all down, it's way too expensive to do so forcibly.

(And yes, I liked "House of Cards", I would've liked to see it being a bit more natural/longer at its evolution of a story arc though, but then again, I suppose it wouldn't have been too exciting for those yearning for action, or maybe it would... ah, here I got lost again in the wonderland of speculating stuff). My bad.

... exept maybe "Worlds Unite". It had it's moments but it was crowded to the max. Not unreadable but still...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, everyone. I'm about to take a look at the Sonic Universe Arc "Journey to the East" (issues 13-16) and I have a question perhaps someone here can answer. I've heard the covers are homages to martial art/Kung Fu movie posters and I know what issue 16's is. Does anyone know what movies issues 13-15 are paying homages to? Thanks in advance. 

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

In before someone complains that an American comic written by someone living in Canada about a Japanese video game character who in several issues goes on an adventure inspired by a Chinese novel with one or more characters also based on said novel is cultural appropriation.

Sorry. Back to your intelligent discussion, by all means. :P

The thing I remember most about SU#15 is how it was the first Archie Sonic comic not to be printed on the old newsprint paper.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Megabeatman Apparently, #16's cover was based on Enter the Dragon (edit: Oh, you already knew that), but Mobius Encyclopedia doesn't say what the others were. Someone'd have to dig deeper. I'm not sure how many martial arts fans we have on this forum. I could ask my brother, but as much as he likes martial arts films, he probably doesn't remember or even know what their movie posters are.

Edit 2: I suppose peeps could always check Google to see if anything matches up with the SU cover pictures that @Megabeatman posted.

52 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The thing I remember most about SU#15 is how it was the first Archie Sonic comic not to be printed on the old newsprint paper.

Heh. Good memory, man. I wasn't reading back then, and it's hard to imagine reading Archie Sonic comics on newsprint, though I've heard opinions that cheapening comic paper could do wonders for the industry.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Borvoc I spent almost 2 hours last night looking up images and searching through top x film lists. Some posters have 1 or 2 elements that are somewhat close. I just don't know what's been altered for the sake of the covers. And thanks for the help.

lol. I guess I didn't help at all if you've already done all that. Maybe someone could ask Ian on the BumbleKast, but I'm not sure he'd even remember. Someone may also chime in on this thread with more info, but things seem pretty quiet here concerning martial arts film knowledge at the moment.

Your best bet is to find the cover artists on Twitter and tweet them. either that or tweet Ian, don't know whos ideas are whos when it comes to covers.

Whoa!  This topic goes back to '09 and of course I posted in it.  I bought issue #1 on eBay one day a few years ago.  I also have archives of Archie Sonic.  I have volumes 0-9.  I remember going to ToyWiz every now and then to find if they got vol. 10.  Later on, I found it was out of print.  Aren't they up to volume 25?

Up to #24. #25 and #26 were solicited, but they never came out due to being cancelled. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Up to #24. #25 and #26 were solicited, but they never came out due to being cancelled. 

Archie never cancels stuff. Its all "on hiatus."

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

What's interesting is the fact that somehow this one bookshop I use for buying GN's and such has put Archives 26 in on their site in a way, though there was no clue whatsoever about 25 back when I checked it out last time.

And they've been pretty cautious listing Archie stuff lately which is why it's funny they started to get optimistic just right at the same time Archie decided to put StH GN's on hiatus as well... -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

It's  sad to see Sonic archie comics has ended....And I just got into the series. What a bummer. Maybe they get to a better publisher, but I'm  not sure about that. I'll  miss these comics.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:29 PM, Terriful said:

Archie never cancels stuff. Its all "on hiatus."

Until now...

• Thumbs Up 1

So is this now officially a dead topic?

1200 pages of discussion, the largest on the entire site, and nothing to show for it, god damn

32 minutes ago, Chavysonicfan said:

It's  sad to see Sonic archie comics has ended....And I just got into the series. What a bummer. Maybe they get to a better publisher, but I'm  not sure about that. I'll  miss these comics.

IDK, Archie gave Sonic plenty of TLC these last couple of years. In any case, I hope it gets to a publisher with Ben Bates. His art was crisper than Iblis on a summer day in Cali.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Well kinda sucks they apparently didn't tell Ian before now. 

Err... this kind of treatment isn't new in the comics industry. But still shitty all the same.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well kinda sucks they apparently didn't tell Ian before now. 

It looks like SEGA's opting to disassociate with them altogether. I mean, why would they not inform him? Did they only want to reveal the news once? Is the partnership that big of an issue?

It's also interesting to note that they said the comics are up for grabs by other companies in the future. This has me thinking if Archie and SEGA ever had marital disputes.

3 minutes ago, Soniman said:

So is this now officially a dead topic?

1200 pages of discussion, the largest on the entire site, and nothing to show for it, god damn

It's not like the discussions have to stop. I mean, it's going on right now as we type. People talk about things that finish all the time.

• Thumbs Up 6

I can't even be mad at Archie, they are as much a victim as the fans.  SEGA can't decide what they want to do with their own darn franchise and unfairly punish a small indie comic publisher and the thousands that read the book since they were kids! ??

If whoever gets the liscense next is still allowed to use the Freedom Fighters and forgotten game chars I might check it out.  But if not its not worth my time.

SEGA is dead to me.  And I hope & Pray Ken Penders is eventually put in an asylum where he belongs because he's the one that started this whole mess back in 2012!

R.I.P. Archie Sonic 1992-2017.

44 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

I can't even be mad at Archie, they are as much a victim as the fans.

Being mad, I understand. Pointing the blame at one party without having the facts straight though, is not a wise decision. Archie themselves have been shakey with the comic at times, so they haven't objectively escaped the blame radar in this debacle yet.

• Thumbs Up 8