Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

On 25/7/2017 at 9:03 AM, antyep said:

Funny. I thought Sega wouldn't care as long as it doesn't happen to their characters.

They don't. SallyxNicole could have actually happened. I don't know why Flynn didn't fully went through with it. Maybe Archie didn't want to go through the trouble of asking SEGA if that was okay? Maybe he was scared of causing a possible controversy? Though these comics are pretty indie so like, who would even complain? I know they're children's comics too but really, it's not like a gay person in a comic is gonna ruin a child's life. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned Sally and Nicole do indeed make a pretty good couple and I consider them as canon as they can be.  Hell maybe Flynn actually did plan on eventually going through with it in some way.

And yes Sally and Nicole had a pretty strong relationship even in the old comics. Hell that issue where Nicole finally materializes in that forest and Sally meets her physical form was one of the more beatiful moments of the dark ages. And it was a lot more romantic that all that other stuff Penders and Bollers wrote before. It wasn't blatantly romantic, but there was something beautiful and intimate about it that the old canon almost never did.

And in the reboot they get even more chances to be intimate and connect to eachother. I could really see how Nicole and Sally's story is the story of two girls falling in love.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

I know they're children's comics too but really, it's not like a gay person in a comic is gonna ruin a child's life. 

You might be surprised what some people will believe.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Guys, I just realised.

We're on the verge of losing King Nigel "Smashing" Acorn here.

I feel even worse than before. The tribute could be gone forever.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Guys, I just realised.

At least Sega owns him and he survived the reboot. I mean he has a better chance of reappearing than most of the other parents.

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

Guys, I just realised.

Not to mention he didn't get many moments to shine. From what little we got, he was more of an arse kicker than pre-reboot, for sure. And also not a useless vegetable as he usually was.

And he had energy swords. Instant win.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 hours ago, Polkadi said:

Not to mention he didn't get many moments to shine. From what little we got, he was more of an arse kicker than pre-reboot, for sure. And also not a useless vegetable as he usually was.

And he had energy swords. Instant win.

Yup, it's such a shame if we lose character this competent, especially when considered how epic he usually was in a way or another whenever he had an appearance.

Such a waste. :unsure:

Gee that part where it took Bark to take him down, pretty much one of my favourite parts of "Panic in the Sky". He was cool.

So cool I consider pre-reboot (Max) and post-reboot (Nigel) kings completely different characters, they work in such a different way for me after all... B)

• Thumbs Up 3

They ARE totally different characters though aren't they? Their whole apperance, name, completely different personalities too? I always assumed Max was just a character that got lost with the other scrapped characters, and Nigel was just a new dude. A lot cooler and nicer that Max though that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

That applies to everyone, even Sonic. Pre-reboot and post-reboot are now considered two different characters, as stated in one of the most recent Bumblekasts. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I suppose that's the deal. But the difference between the dynamics feels a bit bigger when it comes to the comparison between Sally's fathers.

Though I think pre-reboot Sonic appealed me a bit more. You do have a point in here.

I'm still thinking StH #272 proves to me why he isn't such a cool character in my tastes when compared to some others... there are nicer ways to tell someone they should put the act down a notch, though I suppose that wouldn't be Sonic-y enough... And then he let someone else do the exact same with a smirk... gee the guy... sometimes. Just sometimes... <_<

I always thought Pre-Reboot Sonic was a bit of a little too tryhard jackass for my tastes. Yes he could be cool sometimes, but way too damn arrogant and full of himself sometimes. I think in the reboot at least he became a bit more humble. 

Pre-reboot Sonic has one thing over post-reboot.

He felt remorse. Even when it took a near death of a friend and such but still, he could see he's done wrong.

Post-reboot? Shrugs it off as "I do it all the time", ironically pre-reboot did the same, but the upper statement still applies.

Hence I have a different opinion, that doesn't mean you couldn't have yours though. :D It's about the feeling after all, it delivers differently for others.

16 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That applies to everyone, even Sonic. Pre-reboot and post-reboot are now considered two different characters, as stated in one of the most recent Bumblekasts. 

I really think this would have been excepted more if Kaminski didn't force ties to the old continuity. Because to this day people still think everyone remembers the previous continuity instead of them being weird flashes of a different life that faded after #257. Thanks Paul. Hope it was worth selling some trades you probably shouldn't have been still making at that point.

I always thought Pre-Reboot Sonic was a bit of a little too tryhard jackass for my tastes. Yes he could be cool sometimes, but way too damn arrogant and full of himself sometimes. I think in the reboot at least he became a bit more humble. 

I will never understand why people hate it when Sonic a character who's whole point is that he's got an attitude (It's in his cartoon theme even) has an attitude. I don't get it when it come's to the games I don't get it when it comes to Boom I especially don't get it when it comes to Post Reboot comics.

I'd say Post Reboot Sonic's less of a douche nozzle than he was pre.

• Nice Smile 2

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I really think this would have been excepted more if Kaminski didn't force ties to the old continuity. Because to this day people still think everyone remembers the previous continuity instead of them being weird flashes of a different life that faded after #257. Thanks Paul. Hope it was worth selling some trades you probably shouldn't have been still making at that point.

I will never understand why people hate it when Sonic a character who's whole point is that he's got an attitude (It's in his cartoon theme even) has an attitude. I don't get it when it come's to the games I don't get it when it comes to Boom I especially don't get it when it comes to Post Reboot comics.

I'd say Post Reboot Sonic's less of a douche nozzle than he was pre.

this. i tend to see a lot of people who get mad when sonic shows attitude cause he's "mean". like what, do we want another mario who has literally no known personality traits? it makes sonic a better character in my opinion and it should be focused on even more than it is right now imo.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Alright alright. Let me put my stupid opinions this way;

Sonic as a character isn't bad for having traits I myself don't find too appealling when it comes to the everyday life.

It works for me with two-level logic; It's okay that he's a character like that, no problem. It's good that I feel something about him, I rather have him rubbing me a bit in the wrong way than having no affect on me whatsoever.

I'm about cool with that. I can get it, Sonic's all about the attitude and such, and I can appreciate it for what it is since it makes stuff more interesting and all, and because of that he's not totally bland as a character which is much appreciated. And he's no jerk all the time so that's cool too.

Then there's the other hand; I myself personally sometimes feel as he's going a bit too far for my tastes.

The fact why I brought issue 272 up isn't because he's jerk but because he's acting in a way that makes me personally feel that he's going in a bit too hypochrite way. Just my personal opinion. Good thing is he isn't doing it all the time, it's not something that's a large character trait for him, it's more like of an one-time-extended thing that happened and won't usually happen too many times afterwards.

I find it annoying because, in a real life, I can't stand people acting in a hypochrite way. It feels pretty personal in a way it makes me to react even more negatively than would be considered appropriate when talking about a fictional comic book. It's my personal flaw, I sometimes feel a bit too personally about stuff like this. I suppose it's because of my personal moral beliefs or something. So I'm sorry about that, but it's - for me - more about when he's crossing the line where it becomes something "worse" than just having an attitude than just having an attitude.

And yeah, pre-reboot Sonic was a real jerk too from time to time, but I still call for "the remorse card" here. He had a chance to show he could actually see his flaws and even admit them (at least to himself [and the readers unintentionally]) unlike post-reboot as far as I know (something he himself can't really influence too much though, I know, but still). I may be an ignoramus for having the remorse as a reason to make it "a bit more alright", but the fact he's realised he's done stuff that isn't too cool is something I appreciate.

If only post-reboot Sonic would've considered some stuff before it all ended, if only... It would be more fine with me.

Sonic's attitude is a good thing, it makes him feel a bit more as a being with a personality than just bland mass of ink and paper/pixels. It's a good thing.

That doesn't mean I don't sometimes feel as if strangling that hedgie but I think in the end it's a good thing as far as we're talking about a fictional character. A good character makes you feel something when you're told about their personalities.

For me, Sonic's succeeded with this, as one can see from the above.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk but this is how I feel about him. -_-

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Personally I think it all depends on the writer.  Some could make Sonic's jerkyness endearing, other times it was just super annoying!

Same with Sally, some wrote her as intelligent, compitent & caring and others wrote her as a bit of a jerk at times as well.

Fictional Characters are like actors, they are only as good as the scripts you give them.

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like I should mention that Archie have just done a major overhaul of their online shop. The Sonic/Mega Man section is still there but there's now way fewer items to he had, so if you were thinking of taking advantage of their sale, you better get a move on.

EDIT: there's actually a bunch more stuff that can only be found via the search function for some reason. Still fewer than what there was though.

On 31/07/2017 at 2:13 PM, SBR2 said:

You know, I wouldn't have minded if that concept was brought up in passing or something. Not with any major relevance but just something akin to:

"Hey remember all that weird stuff the Super Genesis Wave did to our minds?"

"Oh yeah, that dream...was it a dream...? You know, I can't even remember what that was all about anymore..."

"Funny, it was because of that stuff that we all even got back together after so long, but now I can't even remember what the fuss was all about."

...or would that still have been too baiting?

Basically what I'm saying is I always liked to imagine that Sonic and co still at least had some knowledge that there was something there, it would seem weird that they wouldn't have remembered the duel memories being a thing since it was ultimately what brought them back together. They just no longer remember what said memories were or if they were even real.

It's nowhere near what other people seem to believe, in that they all remember their previous lives in great detail and have to come to terms with the fact that it's gone.

EDIT: oh, sorry, didn't mean to double post.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 31/7/2017 at 6:13 AM, SBR2 said:

Attitude and being a jerk is a different thing. But it's a fine line that the fandom often breaks with Sonic's way of acting. Sonic is not full of himself. I thought that was one of the main critism of the Pontaff games. That he acts all full of himself. There's a different between being confident in yourself and just straight up arrogant. 

• Nice Smile 1

• The topic was locked

Hey guys, staff are aware of the "Mega Drive: Overdrive" leaks, but as of right now, we are not allowing them to be posted publicly on the site due to these art assets being obtained illegally rather than being officially released by SEGA or Archie.

• The topic was unlocked
8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Hey guys, staff are aware of the "Mega Drive: Overdrive" leaks, but as of right now, we are not allowing them to be posted publicly on the site due to how those art assets were obtained (none of this has been officially released by SEGA or Archie).

To clarify why this is a problem, these leaks were obtained in a way that infringes upon computer misuse laws in various jurisdictions.  As such, It would not be a good idea to post them here.  You're allowed to talk about them, just don't show any images or otherwise make them available on this server for now.  TSS and SSMB both stand firm on this.

• Thumbs Up 6

Basically, if a hacker tries to touch a companies' files in a place or in a way that makes the law feel uncomfortable...

Thats-no-good.gif

In other news, it seems that Archie are now officially regarding the series as cancelled, so it seems they won't be putting out any more Sonic comics period. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 3

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

In other news, it seems that Archie are now officially regarding the series as cancelled, so it seems they won't be putting out any more Sonic comics period. 

Doesn't that go without saying? 

I still wonder how it'll impact the Archie Digital comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Basically, if a hacker tries to touch a companies' files in a place or in a way that makes the law feel uncomfortable...

Thats-no-good.gif

I'm just hoping someone grabs hold of the lost comics, namely IDW, to show what could have been. Then I can put to rest the Archie Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Doesn't that go without saying? 

You'd think it would, but saying as SEGA worded it as "ending", some thought Archie might have a window to give closure to the comic or at least publish the comics that were supposed to come out. If Archie are calling it cancelled, it's set in stone that they won't. 

I still wonder how it'll impact the Archie Digital comics.

Yeah, that'd be a messy affair. Archie can't host it themselves forever if they don't have the licence for it. 

• Thumbs Up 2