Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

18 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

Attitude and being a jerk is a different thing. But it's a fine line that the fandom often breaks with Sonic's way of acting. Sonic is not full of himself. I thought that was one of the main critism of the Pontaff games. That he acts all full of himself. There's a different between being confident in yourself and just straight up arrogant. 

Personally I like Sonic as cocky and arrogant. It gives him personality. It makes him feel like a character.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I'll just disagree on that. I'll take cocky and confident over arrogant. It makes him feel like a character with a cool attitude but not like a jerk. I don't feel like Sonic is supposed to be a jerk. My ideal  Sonic is basically like the one in Unleashed and Adventure. And there wasn't much that you could say was jerk-y about those portrayals. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

I'll just disagree on that. I'll take cocky and confident over arrogant. It makes him feel like a character with a cool attitude but not like a jerk. I don't feel like Sonic is supposed to be a jerk. My ideal  Sonic is basically like the one in Unleashed and Adventure. And there wasn't much that you could say was jerk-y about those portrayals. 

There wasn't much you could say period because he had the personality of a chair.

Hey, does anyone here follow Yardley on Patreon? Not only had he uploaded some inks and pages from previous issues, he's posted some concept art for the Sonic Man team that was going to appear in StH#293!

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Sonic and Jughead may be over, but Archie has no intention of keeping good ol' Ian out of a job.

The Cosmo reboot has been a long time coming if memory serves.

It's also worth noting that they're citing only Jughead and Mega Man as examples of Ians prior work. A sign that Archie still has the rights to Mega Man?

That sounds possible enough, maybe they'd pull it out from the hiatus. That'd be nice! ^_^ Good thing is Mr. Flynn's still getting "jobs" (as far as a freelancer can be said to have jobs)!

If they do that, well for me it would seem as the reason why Sonic got cancelled isn't because they don't want to make lisenced comics at all anymore. Even this bit is against that. It's like they're trying to fill the space Sonic left to the Action line.

The cancellation of Archie Sonic starts to seem to me as more and more something that Sega's also playing an active part in. <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2017 at 9:11 AM, SBR2 said:

Personally I like Sonic as cocky and arrogant. It gives him personality. It makes him feel like a character.

I'm fine with that, as long as he gets punched in his dumb face. Its why I appreciate boom sonic, he's cocky, but reality slaps him across the face. His hubris and then having to deal with the notion that he isn't as cool as he thinks he is humanizes the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm fine with that, as long as he gets punched in his dumb face. Its why I appreciate boom sonic, he's cocky, but reality slaps him across the face. His hubris and then having to deal with the notion that he isn't as cool as he thinks he is humanizes the character.

That's the nice thing about Boom: Sonic is regularly called out for his cockiness (i.e. Designated Heroes and Eggman's Brother).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I don't mind people poking fun at characters, I actively encourage it. As long as that joke doesn't become the character, poking at that characters flaws can be a fun excercize in humanizing the character. And sonic becoming a much sillier character over the years that can be poked fun at despite all the other horrible shit its come with... is  a plus. I don't want to be kirito this mary su i'm the coolest ever character. I just want him to think he's cool. One of the worst desires or descriptions of sonic I see is " he knows he's unstoppable" then why should he try doing anything, what's his motivation his goals, why should he be afraid of anything or care about anything going. But if he just thinks he's cool , that takes it from gary stu to oh he's just cocky. And if he gets beaten up, that assets the point even more and humanizes the character.

I know this will make some people upset because some people don't understand good characterization or narrative structure and just want their favorite dollbaby to be the coolest and the strongest, but I don't care about those people,and this makes me happy. And those people being upset also makes me happy. 

That isn't to say this idea is infallible, there are plenty of times in the sonic comic especially where various characters get beat that shouldn't be only to serve the purpose of progressing a terrible narrative. This idea can also be used for bad, actively ruining characters making characters look unnecessarily because the writer couldn't come with anything creative. Or in the case of the Thundercats reboot that came out a few years ago, writing the main character to be a looser because the writer hated liono and wrote him to be a simp looser who's girlfriend cheated on him and who was going to do. That's unproffesional. So you have to walk a fine line of respecting whatever character you are writing with these sorts of things

I hope the IDW comics do that well

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Sonic and Jughead may be over, but Archie has no intention of keeping good ol' Ian out of a job.

The Cosmo reboot has been a long time coming if memory serves.

It's also worth noting that they're citing only Jughead and Mega Man as examples of Ians prior work. A sign that Archie still has the rights to Mega Man?

Don't forget Mighty Crusaders too. I'm honestly more surprised that Archie's keeping the action line going and if Goldwater's to be believed looking at doing other licensed properties in addition to their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've been thinking about Bunnie's uncle, Beauregard, and when i looked up characters that couldn't be used because of the lawsuits i saw he wasn't part of the list. 

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

So I've been thinking about Bunnie's uncle, Beauregard, and when i looked up characters that couldn't be used because of the lawsuits i saw he wasn't part of the list. 

He won't be touched because of that one pre-Flynn line Bunnie had that mentioned him.

Even if Ian was the one making the character as he was presented in the comics...

5 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

He won't be touched because of that one pre-Flynn line Bunnie had that mentioned him.

Even if Ian was the one making the character as he was presented in the comics...

Wow really?

29 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

The same was the same case for Matilda (while a lot seem to be under the false notion that it was the sibling mandate; it wasn't). And to be honest, I get the feeling that Ian was pretty pissed about that...

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate that logic.

Ian can't give Mighty a sister because a previous writer hinted at it before him? That's like saying Sally having had a mother in the pre-SGW shouldn't even be so much as hinted at because a previous writer already used the concept.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I hate that logic.

Ian can't give Mighty a sister because a previous writer hinted at it before him? That's like saying Sally having had a mother in the pre-SGW shouldn't even be so much as hinted at because a previous writer already used the concept.

Unfortunately, Archie were not taking chances with legality. 

SPEAKING OF WHICH...Yardley posted the original Sonic Digest #2 cover on his Patreon. Knuckles wasn't on the final version, and here's why...

Sonic Digest #2 Cover
I was HOPING to show you something new, but I realized that Matt Herms already put this up. This cover came out during some of the legal troubles over echidnas, so they dropped Knux off the printed version. Here's how the cover looks as it was originally drawn.

Yep, Knuckles was removed from the cover for legal reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tracey's putting up his unpublished pages from #291 and #292 for bid in the not-too-distant future.

• Thumbs Up 6

• The title was changed to Archie Sonic Main Discussion
7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Nobody's pulled the Cream Woman-ish concept art from his Patreon yet either. 

So she was originally going to be roboticized as well?

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

So she was originally going to be roboticized as well?

No, this is from the Sonic Man team that was going to be in StH#293. 

Yeah, having the Mega Man crossover when the series already has a Sonic Man was bound to lead to this confusion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

No, this is from the Sonic Man team that was going to be in StH#293. 

Yeah, having the Mega Man crossover when the series already has a Sonic Man was bound to lead to this confusion. 

Oh right I forgot about that plot.