Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is it me or is it kind of sad that the first real moment we've had of Bunnie and Ant that isn't like contrived crap we've seen before (I.E - When Bunnie got her memories back or that backup story with that couple getting married) is now effectively cancelled?

I did like that moment when they saved the wedding. Plus I liked the backstories (though I only got into he comics earlier this year and hadn't really read anything throughly before issue 160).

Just now, RedFox99 said:

I did like that moment when they saved the wedding.

-Shrug- In my opinion, it was contrived and far too built up (From what I remember, they had previewed as this big game-changer back up story that's gonna show us a totally new side to Ant and Bunnie's relationship. It was hyped up to the point I had a theory that Ant was gonna get effected by Dark Gaia's influence and be reduced to the coward he was in SatAM and Bunnie would have to bring him back from the brink. Not to mention the backup was being done alongside Control, which not only was one of the best arcs post-reboot, but actually did make an interesting change to Sonic by having him get corrupted by Dark Gaia. Then the story comes out and it's just a contrived coincidence of Bunnie/Ant saving a couple just to end with the typical "i couldn't live without you" stuff we had seen so many times before. It ended up intruding on Control and gave me a dislike to the relationship post-reboot when pre-reboot, I genuinely enjoyed them as a couple. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

-Shrug- In my opinion, it was contrived and far too built up (From what I remember, they had previewed as this big game-changer back up story that's gonna show us a totally new side to Ant and Bunnie's relationship. It was hyped up to the point I had a theory that Ant was gonna get effected by Dark Gaia's influence and be reduced to the coward he was in SatAM and Bunnie would have to bring him back from the brink. Not to mention the backup was being done alongside Control, which not only was one of the best arcs post-reboot, but actually did make an interesting change to Sonic by having him get corrupted by Dark Gaia. Then the story comes out and it's just a contrived coincidence of Bunnie/Ant saving a couple just to end with the typical "i couldn't live without you" stuff we had seen so many times before. It ended up intruding on Control and gave me a dislike to the relationship post-reboot when pre-reboot, I genuinely enjoyed them as a couple. 

While it did come out of nowhere, I still liked it. To each their own...

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yeah, i kinda liked that story, but at the moment i disliked it, the way it was promoted gave me the impression it was going to be way more than it actually is, and of course, it failed to meet my expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RedFox99 said:

To be honest I didn't notice any build up.

It was in the solicts. The solicts were building it up as a game changer for the relationship of the characters, showing a totally different side to them. You could even argue it was foreshadowed with Antoine in Waves of Change getting noticeably more nervous and scared than compared to Countdown to Chaos. It hinted he could possibly be under Dark Gaia influence (Granted, that's head-canon, but it would explain his noticeably different attitude for that one issue).

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It was in the solicts. The solicts were building it up as a game changer for the relationship of the characters, showing a totally different side to them. You could even argue it was foreshadowed with Antoine in Waves of Change getting noticeably more nervous and scared than compared to Countdown to Chaos. It hinted he could possibly be under Dark Gaia influence (Granted, that's head-canon, but it would explain his noticeably different attitude for that one issue).

Oh ok. I never really read them.

Well I might not have liked the closer to the games "reboot" universe as much as the old universe I did like some of the new characters.

Thunderbolt: I like that Dr. Robotnik finally had a minion who actually liked working for him.
Phage: Had potential and felt like A.D.A.M. done right.
Breezie: A good take on an AOSTH character who was just originally a Jessica Rabbit wannabe. I'm sad that we'll never know if she was a robot or not.
Dr. Ellidy: His story was tragic. I was looking forward to seeing where his relationship with Nicole would have gone.
Cassia and Clove: Of all the reboot verse characters losing them really hurts. They were interesting character with great designs.

So even though I liked the old universe's characters better, I'm still going to miss the new universe's characters as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Shrug- In my opinion, it was contrived and far too built up (From what I remember, they had previewed as this big game-changer back up story that's gonna show us a totally new side to Ant and Bunnie's relationship.

The solicits are usually kind of exaggerated, though, and I think there's also something to be said about reader expectations versus what actually happens.

Besides which, the solicit only says:

Then, in “A Nice Day to Start Again,” Bunnie and Antoine experience the effects of the Shattered World Crisis in a very personal way!

...it's just that they were quite literal about it (they save a wedding and they themselves were probably recently married prior to Sonic's return). The story is still boring filler, and it's a shame it cuts into the first part of "Control," but I can't say I feel like  was lied to. And certainly nowhere near as offensively bad and overhyped as "Worlds Unite."

Just now, Zaysho said:

The solicits are usually kind of exaggerated, though, and I think there's also something to be said about reader expectations versus what actually happens.

Besides which, the solicit only says:

...it's just that they were quite literal about it (they save a wedding and they themselves were probably recently married prior to Sonic's return). The story is still boring filler, and it's a shame it cuts into the first part of "Control," but I can't say I feel like  was lied to. And certainly nowhere near as offensively bad and overhyped as "Worlds Unite."

I did feel like filler

@NikoS, you're a lifesaver! I missed many of the pages because I didn't have the Access for my computer/SSMB forum the moment pages got into eBay. Thaks so very much. :D

And now I feel even more disappointed; the stuff that would've come if things were to get published, would've been really interesting! Gee, their timing!

I wanna smack my head against my desk but it hurts too much and there's only so much ibuprofen can do. :blink:

Man I would give some things to get the issues. Now where's the alternate reality this got published in, I need to somehow get to there for some serious shopping...

I was really looking forward for this kind of interaction and then it got robbed away.

I feel like I shouldn't read any licensed comics anymore. (Other than Disney, they don't usually have problems like this...) Since I get too invested too easily, I feel like someone's trying to rip my heart out of my chest and my lungs too.

I seriously need to get this disappointment and yearning out of my system one way or another.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

@NikoS, you're a lifesaver! I missed many of the pages because I didn't have the Access for my computer/SSMB forum the moment pages got into eBay. Thaks so very much. :D

And now I feel even more disappointed; the stuff that would've come if things were to get published, would've been really interesting! Gee, their timing!

I wanna smack my head against my desk but it hurts too much and there's only so much ibuprofen can do. :blink:

Man I would give some things to get the issues. Now where's the alternate reality this got published in, I need to somehow get to there for some serious shopping...

I was really looking forward for this kind of interaction and then it got robbed away.

I feel like I shouldn't read any licensed comics anymore. (Other than Disney, they don't usually have problems like this...) Since I get too invested too easily, I feel like someone's trying to rip my heart out of my chest and my lungs too.

I seriously need to get this disappointment and yearning out of my system one way or another.

We'll there's this some on tumblr called soniceverafter.

https://soniceverafter.tumblr.com/post/164230838651/so-a-few-pages-of-the-cancelled-branching-paths

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yes, I'm aware of it but thanks for the effort, it's certainly appreciated. ^_^ Still I feel bummed, nothing to belittle their efforts or anything, it is very awesome someone wants to give a continuation to the comics, but all stuff happened and the circumstances make me feel like vomiting.

And there's the fact that fan productions do take their sweet time since those aren't not paid work.

I just feel like bawling but that's not really a good option since there're too many not-aware/cry-hating people around here where I'm located.

I really need to stick to the non-lisenced comics like I've "mostly" done, I feel like referring to "Manhattan Skyline" so much right now.

The way that new series has been presented for now isn't really encouraging me in any ways to feel positive anymore.

I've been losing Sonic for quite some time now, the upcoming stuff at least. It's like I just want to stick to the past since everything was so much better.

I'm starting to sound like an old fart again... and the most troublesome thing is I'm okay with it when it comes to Sonic. I've got no many reasons for changing this point of view anymore, it really isn't the case but I still feel like the big head honchos've let me down in this one.

@BlueSky I can totaly see why you would get upset about the issues not getting published and all, but when this thought come to my mind i always remember that this was actually a nice time for it to stop, and by that i mean, we were not in the middle of a big arc, i always imagine if the stopping points were halfway through, the third issue, or even just before the start of "Panic in the Sky", and for universe during "Shattered" or "The case of the pirate princess", i was really looking forward to the upcoming stories (seriously, 1 more issue for the Antoine SU story and... yeah), but i always remember that the timing could've been worse, much worse, at least the Shattered World Crisis got a nice closure.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, NikoS said:

@BlueSky I can totaly see why you would get upset about the issues not getting published and all, but when this thought come to my mind i always remember that this was actually a nice time for it to stop, and by that i mean, we were not in the middle of a big arc, i always imagine if the stopping points were halfway through, the third issue, or even just before the start of "Panic in the Sky", and for universe during "Shattered" or "The case of the pirate princess", i was really looking forward to the upcoming stories (seriously, 1 more issue for the Antoine SU story and... yeah), but i always remember that the timing could've been worse, much worse, at least the Shattered World Crisis got a nice closure.

Yes, that's a point I can agree. Timing could've been worse.

The thing is, we were promised so much interesting stuff to read by Archie and then we get big fat "cancelled" from Sega in form of one single tweet. Jeez I feel like I got totally burned, I can barely imagine how the creative staff feels... After all I'm just an idiot with unquenchable hunger for more stories to feed my imagination as a reader, not someone who's pondering where to get jobs now.

And the fact only the shipment alone for those Mr. Yardley's pages would cost me more than 20 € (about 27 bucks eBay says) and the bid starts from over 85 € makes my heart ache.

Why does everything need to be so pricey in here I can't save up any money for things like this? Seriously, one guy stated about 1/3 or 2/3 of one's paycheck goes to all the taxes!

Unless you're a boss in some bigger place, since politicians like them... <_<

But yeah, at least for the SU end was a pretty high-note one.

And at least it got it's arc ready.

Don't get me started about that FF arc, I was hyping for it, I WAS HYPING FOR ANTOINE TOO!!! SO MUCH!!! And for others too but mostly for Antoine! But all in all, it was a large pile of hype and everybody had their fair share, now the hype's gone.

I hope the hype-eating tweet's all happy and full-bellied now... Because I'm not. Oh yeah, call me childish but if there's one thing I hate it's the "adults" that don't keep their words! For me this case equals them not keeping their promises. I had bad experiences about this matter as a child, I just hate that kind of kindergarten/etc. people!

Gee I'm getting angry again! No bird's as angry as I when I feel "emotionally violated" like this!

But well, I suppose I should be happy for what I have. And first and foremost, be a nice little customer and buy whatever they throw at me, isn't that right? -_-

@BlueSky *COMFORT HUG* I understand why you feel that way. Maybe Sega will change their mind in the future and be more open about using the SATAM/Archie characters,

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

@BlueSky *COMFORT HUG* I understand why you feel that way. Maybe Sega will change their mind in the future and be more open about using the SATAM/Archie characters,

Maybe, but I'm not too sure of it. Then again how could I know...

My biggest fear about that is that they'd get "the treatment" too though, like becoming something with no real personality whatsoever, just 1D character trait that is "all you need", personality is more vibrant than one face/character trait as far as I'm concerned. Deceased comics used to handle the depth in personalities well enough but I fear for what tomorrow brings.

Since it would be a double-slap to my face to put them in somewhere but take their cores away and leave them in as a completely hollow husks of whatever they consist of considering in what format they'd be used in...

But thanks anyway, hugs to you too. ^_^

I dunno, I feel divided; on one hand I'd like to go and tell Sega how much I like the characters that were in the comics. On the other hand, one thing I'd never even dream of doing intentionally is to make any Japanese person angry. If a Japanese person gets angry it's a bad thing I think, I have a feeling if they tell they're angry one has really screwed it up. I dunno if I'm being overrexaggerative in here but well, I have my stereotypes, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

Hence I'd not like the idea of telling to Sega "how they should run their business". No way as long as I can't be about as certain as one can be about how to be polite enough to talk to them about something as minor as some characters in some "glorified ad" they make for selling some games or something... 

IDW is completely different thing though, I'm pretty sure they can read my apologetic piece of email...

3 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Maybe, but I'm not too sure of it. Then again how could I know...

My biggest fear about that is that they'd get "the treatment" too though, like becoming something with no real personality whatsoever, just 1D character trait that is "all you need", personality is more vibrant than one face/character trait as far as I'm concerned. Deceased comics used to handle the depth in personalities well enough but I fear for what tomorrow brings.

Since it would be a double-slap to my face to put them in somewhere but take their cores away and leave them in as a completely hollow husks of whatever they consist of considering in what format they'd be used in...

But thanks anyway, hugs to you too. ^_^

I dunno, I feel divided; on one hand I'd like to go and tell Sega how much I like the characters that were in the comics. On the other hand, one thing I'd never even dream of doing intentionally is to make any Japanese person angry. If a Japanese person gets angry it's a bad thing I think, I have a feeling if they tell they're angry one has really screwed it up. I dunno if I'm being overrexaggerative in here but well, I have my stereotypes, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

Hence I'd not like the idea of telling to Sega "how they should run their business". No way as long as I can't be about as certain as one can be about how to be polite enough to talk to them about something as minor as some characters in some "glorified ad" they make for selling some games or something... 

IDW is completely different thing though, I'm pretty sure they can read my apologetic piece of email...

Well, I did email one of the workers and he personally wrote me back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember those new comic packs that were shown off by Tomy a few months back? Looks like they still managed to release after all:

2DAUg8.jpg

(From a post on Facebook's Sonic Collections group)

• Thumbs Up 4

So now that the comic is sadly over I've been rereading it. Has anyone else started to reread the comics as well?

I just finished rereading the first six issues, and I forgot how silly(in a bad way)the early comics were. Michael Gallagher's writing here isn't that good. I get the feeling that he thought the jokes that he was writing were funnier than they really are.

Issue 6 has a Sonic Spinball tie-in story. Unlike the game, here in the comics Sonic fails to save the animals in Dr. Robotnik's Veg-O-Fortress and gets kicked out which I imagine sums up how alot of people feel about Sonic Spinball. It's a really hard game, and I myself have never been able to get pass the beginning level.

3 hours ago, Spinneret said:

So now that the comic is sadly over I've been rereading it. Has anyone else started to reread the comics as well?

I just finished rereading the first six issues, and I forgot how silly(in a bad way)the early comics were. Michael Gallagher's writing here isn't that good. I get the feeling that he thought the jokes that he was writing were funnier than they really are.

Issue 6 has a Sonic Spinball tie-in story. Unlike the game, here in the comics Sonic fails to save the animals in Dr. Robotnik's Veg-O-Fortress and gets kicked out which I imagine sums up how alot of people feel about Sonic Spinball. It's a really hard game, and I myself have never been able to get pass the beginning level.

When did you feel the comics got better

4 hours ago, Spinneret said:

I have been, using a timeline given by the Mobius Encyclopedia.  So far in my reading, Eggman has taken over as main antagonist from the now long dead Julian Robotnik, as well as reading about how Jules got into critical condition, needing to be roboticized.

Similarly with this reading, I have found a few interesting sound/music sources for some of the issues, including "The Doomsday Project" during Sonic's final battle with Robotnik (his final mental breakdown) laced in with Solaris Phase 2, Super Sonic/Knuckles/Tails from Sonic Mania during Sonic's bid to save time/space in "Retrospective" (which I read in reverse because reasons), and a clip of the Terror Mask laughing from the ending of Splatterhouse during issue 73.

For the record I ended up not reading the main story in Sonic Live, nor did I read the Exiles crossover, because both were incredibly stupid.

6 hours ago, Spinneret said:

Well that's boring. Mike Gallagher's stuff isn't the best work on the comic but it's so Goddamn nut's I can't help but love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry if this has been answered or doesn't belong here, but has anyone heard anything about their subscriptions since the cancellation? my brother has a subscription to Universe (had) and he has sent a few emails to no response :/