Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

A random thing just occurred to me: who came up with Antoine's in-comic surname?

I ask because his surname in SatAM was DePardieu, so it couldn't have come from there (unless it was an alternate surname hidden in that old bible that went unused for the show itself).

• Nice Smile 1

31 minutes ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

A random thing just occurred to me: who came up with Antoine's in-comic surname?

I ask because his surname in SatAM was DePardieu, so it couldn't have come from there (unless it was an alternate surname hidden in that old bible that went unused for the show itself).

He's been D'Coolete since the beginning, so probably something from SatAM's earliest bible.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

From what I remember, D'Coolette was Antoine's original name before DePardieu was chosen instead. Early Archie used a lot of prototype concepts prior to retconning them once SatAM originally started, such as Sally's fur color, Boomer instead of Rotor, and how Antoine was originally a British stereotype rather than a French one.

17 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

From what I remember, D'Coolette was Antoine's original name before DePardieu was chosen instead. Early Archie used a lot of prototype concepts prior to retconning them once SatAM originally started, such as Sally's fur color, Boomer instead of Rotor, and how Antoine was originally a British stereotype rather than a French one.

I wonder why they changed that stereotype thing then, is former even more overused than the latter one?

Though it's still kind of funny to try and guess why they saw the importance of having a walking stereotype as a "character" in a show like SatAM to begin with...

Comics had everybody in as a bit of a goofy versions in early days so it isn't that much of an eyesore for me. They felt more equal as characters when it came to the tone I think while not being metally braindead.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe a British guard stereotype? That could've been funny, in theory. Just him completely straight faced all the time, and the others try to make him laugh sometimes. Probably would've gotten old, but so did "Antoine's a coward," and he grew out of that too.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

Maybe a British guard stereotype? That could've been funny, in theory. Just him completely straight faced all the time, and the others try to make him laugh sometimes. Probably would've gotten old, but so did "Antoine's a coward," and he grew out of that too.

I think they were going more for the stuffy Brit type of character, which matches his general personality when he's not bungling around. However, French accents are inherently more exotic and comical.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think they were going more for the stuffy Brit type of character, which matches his general personality when he's not bungling around. However, French accents are inherently more exotic and comical.

That brought to my mind; how come his French accent is like that? I've heard French natives speaking English and only once it sounded like that. It just doesn't feel natural for me.

47 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

That brought to my mind; how come his French accent is like that? I've heard French natives speaking English and only once it sounded like that. It just doesn't feel natural for me.

That's likely part of the joke. He tries to pass himself off as a very brave and suave soldier when really he tends to act and sound like a cowardly buffoon with a big ego.

Either that or an indication he may be an immigrant.

• Nice Smile 1

The simple reason is that the cowardly Frenchman was a long prevailing stereotype in popular media for decades, and has only really diminished in usage in recent years. 

• Nice Smile 1

Stereotypical French accents have never had much to do with actual French accents.  This has been true for decades, likely centuries.

• Thumbs Up 1

And you know, the fun thing is I didn't even know of this "French are cowards" stereotype before I somehow stumbled upon it after I had read Archie Sonic for quite some time.

I'm such an outsider, living up here...

And what's with that idea of French being blondes anyway...

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

His blonde hair was originally a wig. Not sure when that running gag stopped. 

Sonic shaved his hair as a prank, then he wore a wig until it grew back

• Nice Smile 1

Well, that's the case for Twan, but he's hardly the only "French" person in drawn media pictured as a blonde... I was talking in general, in as hard-to-get-way I usually do. Sorry 'bout that guys, my talks are just an extension to my mind so it's pretty bumpy ride from time to time... I try to get better in this but still this does happen sometimes, sorry.

(Grandpa Michel was so kickass...)

And for the reboot continuity, I recall them talking about Dulcy getting Antoine's hair on fire, soo... his hair was a catastrophe magnet in his younger years again... gee. Poor hair, I wonder how he could get it that long after all the mishaps as one might put it...

On 1.11.2017 at 12:27 PM, FFWF said:

Stereotypical French accents have never had much to do with actual French accents.  This has been true for decades, likely centuries.

It's sad actually since I think it could be actually funnier to have some more "accurate" details in that kind of accents, most known is prolly the missing first h. I find it amusing as a thought to picture a French starting to pick up their speaking speed when getting agitated about something, it's quite interesting how quickly French (and other such languages) can be spoken. And yes, this happens in French films so I suppose it's at least their own exaggeration in question.

Only French dialect I'd give up on trying to understand is prolly the Quebec one, I just couldn't understand 90% of the stuff in that one class we had an excercise about understanding spoken French in said accent... European and African ones are usually fine but jeez...

Actually, this brought my mind a funny thing; anybody knowing anything about that Hetalia anime and its English dub? Well, I once searched for clips about Finland since I'm such a stalker (I suppose it's in our genes to try and see/think too much about how others see us as a country/something) and... the accent sounded more like slavic than Finnish as far as I can tell. Let me give you an example about what I personally consider as a "stereotypical" Finnish English accent since I'm such a nitpicker;

It iis moor laik tis juu nou, änd if juu miit a middel-eizd meil kompani poss hii mait taak apaut korporeissöns. Änd ai siirioulsi houp ai didn't hööt enipadi's fiilings vit tiis eksaamppel. Ai mait pii toutalli vrong juu nou. Äfter aal, mai äksent iis sou fluuent änd aal.

Congrats for anyone who gets that. :rolleyes: Just read it out loud exactly like it's written, without all the fancy-pancy funny pronouncing things English has. You'll get the gist well enough.

I suppose this is the reason Cubot got Germanic(?) accents in that "let's get to Death Egg" trip right after reboot happened and nothing more interesting...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, that's the case for Twan, but he's hardly the only "French" person in drawn media pictured as a blonde... I was talking in general, in as hard-to-get-way I usually do. Sorry 'bout that guys, my talks are just an extension to my mind so it's pretty bumpy ride from time to time... I try to get better in this but still this does happen sometimes, sorry.

(Grandpa Michel was so kickass...)

And for the reboot continuity, I recall them talking about Dulcy getting Antoine's hair on fire, soo... his hair was a catastrophe magnet in his younger years again... gee. Poor hair, I wonder how he could get it that long after all the mishaps as one might put it...

It's sad actually since I think it could be actually funnier to have some more "accurate" details in that kind of accents, most known is prolly the missing first h. I find it amusing as a thought to picture a French starting to pick up their speaking speed when getting agitated about something, it's quite interesting how quickly French (and other such languages) can be spoken. And yes, this happens in French films so I suppose it's at least their own exaggeration in question.

Only French dialect I'd give up on trying to understand is prolly the Quebec one, I just couldn't understand 90% of the stuff in that one class we had an excercise about understanding spoken French in said accent... European and African ones are usually fine but jeez...

Actually, this brought my mind a funny thing; anybody knowing anything about that Hetalia anime and its English dub? Well, I once searched for clips about Finland since I'm such a stalker (I suppose it's in our genes to try and see/think too much about how others see us as a country/something) and... the accent sounded more like slavic than Finnish as far as I can tell. Let me give you an example about what I personally consider as a "stereotypical" Finnish English accent since I'm such a nitpicker;

It iis moor laik tis juu nou, änd if juu miit a middel-eizd meil kompani poss hii mait taak apaut korporeissöns. Änd ai siirioulsi houp ai didn't hööt enipadi's fiilings vit tiis eksaamppel. Ai mait pii toutalli vrong juu nou. Äfter aal, mai äksent iis sou fluuent änd aal.

Congrats for anyone who gets that. :rolleyes: Just read it out loud exactly like it's written, without all the fancy-pancy funny pronouncing things English has. You'll get the gist well enough.

I suppose this is the reason Cubot got Germanic(?) accents in that "let's get to Death Egg" trip right after reboot happened and nothing more interesting...

The speaking speed doesn't just increase when they're angry. It picks up whenever they get into a good conversation. It would've made a great off panel where Antoine and another French speaker were having a conversation, but it goes so fast no-one can keep up. Nicole tries to, but her circuits explode. 

Also, for the record, the Quebecois accent is extremely difficult to follow. I was near Montreal for 3 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

The speaking speed doesn't just increase when they're angry. It picks up whenever they get into a good conversation. It would've made a great off panel where Antoine and another French speaker were having a conversation, but it goes so fast no-one can keep up. Nicole tries to, but her circuits explode. 

Also, for the record, the Quebecois accent is extremely difficult to follow. I was near Montreal for 3 years. 

It's interesting that you'd mention the Quebecois thing there, because I think that Antoine wasn't meant to attract some fans from France...he may have been for Sonic SatAM fans from Canada's province of Quebec, who'dve seen the show on CTV when they aired that show with Canadian ads. =P

16 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Well actually yes, whenever they get into something really powerfully, whether it's positive or negative, they seem to get "excited"... I think they get excited is the point when they start speeding, whatever the reason and mood is. It's kind of neat actually.

Now I started yearning for fast-paced Antoine too... Sonic might run fast but it'd be really amusing to hear him say something like "I can't keep up with that pace" and just laugh [myself] out the absurdity.

Okay, IF IDW brings him back, I'll need to see this. Fast-speaking Antoine. Best. Thing. Ever.

Another one would be to see him to get overly excited and start fast-forwarding in front of everyone while they try to wrap their heads around the whole deal of him speaking way past fast.

Even when I've started to hate the term "Schrödinger's cat" a little because of its overuse, I'd still love to see the outcome of "IDW's Sonic theorem for non-game cast"

Kudos to you, I'm pretty certain I couldn't make it, at least without pen and paper. At least it isn't just me.

15 hours ago, RaginRonic said:

It's interesting that you'd mention the Quebecois thing there, because I think that Antoine wasn't meant to attract some fans from France...he may have been for Sonic SatAM fans from Canada's province of Quebec, who'dve seen the show on CTV when they aired that show with Canadian ads. =P

Fun fact, when I started reading the comics I wasn't too sure about what Antoine's "nationality" was even meant to be. I tried actively not to be stereotypical and go "of course he's French since he talks French-ey" because I don't like going stereotypically, it just feels wrong to categorise like that.

But well, then it started to seem more and more like he really was "French" so well... Je ne regrette rien. C'est incroyable.

I wonder though if he really was meant for French-speaking audience like that, somehow he feels (when talking about SatAM) like a really stretched caricature the writers hadn't really too much ideas what to do with him, he was pretty much all over the place when he was around.

Though it's pretty awesome to hear Rob Paulsen speak "Ahnold" in that one episode... Come to think of it, I wonder if "crazy" characters are funnier to play/voice than awesome hero characters...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I wonder though if he really was meant for French-speaking audience like that, somehow he feels (when talking about SatAM) like a really stretched caricature the writers hadn't really too much ideas what to do with him, he was pretty much all over the place when he was around.

Though it's pretty awesome to hear Rob Paulsen speak "Ahnold" in that one episode... Come to think of it, I wonder if "crazy" characters are funnier to play/voice than awesome hero characters...

Eh, that was mostly in Season 2, which kinda flanderized a few of the characters. Season 1 was generally more graceful with him and the episode where he tries to trap Robotnik is one of my favorites. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, that was mostly in Season 2, which kinda flanderized a few of the characters. Season 1 was generally more graceful with him and the episode where he tries to trap Robotnik is one of my favorites. 

Well, I suppose. That episode was prolly one of his better ones, he actually managed to get into the action (kind of) after Sonic busted him out, something I felt a bit proud for him... or did I remember a wrong episode again? But yeah, he had his moments, but sometimes... sheesh, I suppose every world incarnation in Sonic franchise has their own sceleton closets.

And again I feel like comics were more balanced when it came to the characters. Something I appreciate them for. Say what you will about the first stories but I think they were entertaining and somewhat balanced even back then. I enjoy them a lot more than Boom TV show after all, I just am not too much into sitcom-ey style it has.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah as much as I like season 2, they did flanderize some of the characters. Sonic gotten a little dumb, Sally became a little more Mary Sueish, Antoine became more annoying, and Bunnie and Rotor didn’t do much of anything that would stand them out from being just supporting characters, especially Rotor.

And then there’s Dulcy. Yeah...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

So with the advent of Forces, an awesome idea came to me for the Archie setting despite its cancellation: Phantom Ruby-empowered Egg Bosses.

Imagine after Infinite being the test subject, the Egg Bosses get their own and start wreaking havoc. I know a Ruby-empowered Thunderbolt would be a nightmare!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So with the advent of Forces, an awesome idea came to me for the Archie setting despite its cancellation: Phantom Ruby-empowered Egg Bosses.

Imagine after Infinite being the test subject, the Egg Bosses get their own and start wreaking havoc. I know a Ruby-empowered Thunderbolt would be a nightmare!

That sounds potentially broken. And really, only Thunderbolt, Hood, and maybe Maw would really get any usage of it.

And yes, Thunderbolt with the Ruby would be terrifying.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2