Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Hey y'all, this is for the members here who have some art skills, there is a project to finish SU #95-97 going on, i'm just spreading the message, if you wish to contribute i'll be leaving a link with more information below:

http://robotnikholmescomicblog.tumblr.com/post/167030461706/archie-comic-su-95-97-restoration-project

“Feel free join up, introduce yourself, and give us some alternate means of contacting you if need be. Second,  we need to collect what ever official material we can get to use a spring board. If you have access to pencils, plot synopsis, etc. or know where to find them please send them to the discord. Last off if you can’t help for what ever reason but still would like to see the project finished please spread the message.”

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 17.12.2017 at 4:18 AM, NikoS said:

I know, i was just joking, sry if i put that in a confusing way :sweat_smile:

Ah, sorry. I'm quite bad recognizing jokes like that on the Internet, especially when I spotted how much uncertainity my post could cause myself... :blushing:

No worries then. :D

And that project sounds awesome, I hope it'll catch some wind under its wings. ^_^

• Fist Bump 1

So, for anyone who had issues left over on their Archie Sonic subscription, did anyone else receive an issue of The Mighty Crusaders from Archie to try and finish the rest of the issues you've had left for Sonic? Because they just sent me one and despite Ian Flynn writing it, it's something I highly doubt will appeal to me. lol

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Favorite fights and heartwarming moments?

Fights: Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles, Sonic vs. SatAM Robotnik, Bunnie vs. Rouge, the second Sonic vs. Scourge fight. Those are just off the top of my head.

Heartwarming moments: Mighty reuniting with his sister is the only heartwarming moment that stands out to me. Honestly, as much as I loved the Sonic comic, heartwarming moments were never one of its strong suits.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2017 at 1:53 PM, RedFox99 said:

Mecha Sonic Vs. Mecha Knuckles, the warm up against Bunnie was pretty good too, and 175's battle between Sonic and Robotnik in the Egg Emperor inspired mech.

5a4842b2945f9_ArchieSonic175.thumb.png.0809f644d328ea13702ff4a0e4a5398f.png

(Sonic: Limit?... Limit?! I got your "limit" right here!)

I like to believe that path he ran is now a standing river.

As for heartwarming 174 (Bunnie and Antoine's wedding) had me all smiles, well when it wasn't being juxtaposed with Espio being lone Ninja-man.

How hard is it to find back issues these days? Got a few holes to fill in around the Iron Dominion arc, and most of the reboot before it becomes impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Probably not.

Ever noticed how the Xorda and Quintessons are so similar?

Both are a race of tentacled aliens who are pretty much responsible for everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Japan's too big on fan translation in general. If there's a piece of media only available in another language, then they'll just either accept watching it without wanting a translation or ignore it. That's probably why the Rivals series is very unknown over there, while we're trying to scrounge up even the most obscure of Japanese-only works. 

Let's put it like this; a higher proportion of Western Sonic fans know about the manga that ran for two years in the early 90s than Japanese fans know about the Archie comic that ran for nearly 20 years.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That's probably why the Rivals series is very unknown over there, while we're trying to scrounge up even the most obscure of Japanese-only works. 

So wait, if that's true, then why exactly is Eggman Nega being Eggman's descendant from Silver's future considered canon? Was it truly planned after all?

Even though the Rivals series was never released in Japanese, the story scenarios were still written by Iizuka himself. That's probably why they ended up trumping the Rush series on the Nega front. 

8 hours ago, Red said:

Are we allowed to talk about Cosmo here? Since it's been heavily marketed towards Sonic readers?

7 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

No matter how much they try that, it's still not a Sonic product so no. Sorry.

What if he puts a green dress and grow flowers on his head?

(I wonder if Flynn will actually make that reference)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

It'd be a weird reference considering most of the audience probably wouldn't be into Sonic, let alone know of Sonic X. 

On 12/22/2017 at 1:53 PM, RedFox99 said:

Oh man, we had some great fights in the Archie comic. You've got your classic "Endgame" slobberknocker between Sonic and Eggman, and the various clashes of True Blue and Rad Red (special shout out to Mecha Madness). The Good The Bad and The Unknown four parter was pretty interesting, if not a little messy. And there were a ton of other little skirmishes that also deserve mention for being pretty great.

But if we're going into favourites? 160 - 200 had some of my absolute favourite moments in the series, period. Heartwarming scenes, great points of tension, and payoff that was a long time coming.

• Sonic, Shadow and Scourge v. Croctobot was an unexpected trip down memory lane.
  • Darkest Storm was an insane clash of wills, gracing us with some insane looking stills. M and Sir Connery will be missed.
  • Order from Chaos gave a better send off to Tommy Turtle than he probably deserved, as well as having a great clash between Super Sonic and ADAM.
  • I Am might not have had the most spectacular fight, but all of its elements were really enjoyable. I love the premise, and I feel it was a great way to adapt Shadow the Hedgehog...without actually adapting Shadow the Hedgehog. Snively's hair-trigger temper, the reveal of Nicole's holo form, that heart to heart with Professor Gerald and Maria, there were some really stand out moments here.
  • The build-up to Knothole's destruction were peppered with some great developments, Antoine and Bunnie's marriage definitely being adorable.
  • ...which made the utter decimation of 175 all the more heart-wrenching! While it may not have lasted very long, Eggman's total victory over Sonic was a jaw-dropper.
  • 177 as a whole was a satisfying return to form for the Freedom Fighters, but Sally's symbolic haircut and the ending speech from Sonic made me a giddy man.
  • The Enerjak Reborn Saga was delicious. It was only a few issues ago that the status quo was turned on its head, and then this happens. A lot of great quips, action a plenty, and a surprising amount of drama. It even managed to make me shed a tear for Locke. Poor Knuckles.
  • Mammoth Mogul asserted himself as a dangerously genre savvy strategist thanks to Mogul Rising. While not necessarily a fight, it was a frightening race against time. Dripping with tension. Bonus points for leading into a fun side story involving the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad again.
  • The King Scourge Saga was another great romp, with an even better climax in the form of Hedgehog Havoc. Everyone v. Super Scourge was a very unnerving concept, and it had some pretty decent character development for Moebius as a world. The conversation between Scourge and Jules I feel is a very underrated side story. 

And all of it culminates in a glorious two day assault on the Eggman Empire. From tying up loose ends left with the Council to taking down the Egg Phoenix, day one was no slouch. But day two...my word. Stopping the Doom Laser in Universe #2, the final push in #199 and the duel between Sonic and Eggman to end it all. Issue 200 felt massive because of everything else that had come before it. And I will never forget the feeling of breathlessness I had after it was over.At last, true payback for the devastation of Knothole.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. I love this series.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 2

10 hours ago, Red said:

Are we allowed to talk about Cosmo here? Since it's been heavily marketed towards Sonic readers?

You are welcome to make a topic about it. This topic should remain as Archie Sonic-specific discussion.

1 hour ago, Zavok the SpinningSilver said:

177 as a whole was a satisfying return to form for the Freedom Fighters, but Sally's symbolic haircut and the ending speech from Sonic made me a giddy man.

I absolutely love this issue and it was my re-entry point into the comic series. I think the most satisfying part, in addition to all that happened in the previous two issues (which I wouldn't actually read until years later via the trades), was seeing Sonic clearly acknowledging that while Eggman has him beat, he clearly doesn't account for the other heroes on Mobius and his mech is torn to shreds.

And while it's not in the 160-200 range, if we're talking favorite fights, Sonic Universe #50, "Forged in Fire" remains one of my top favorite issues of the pre-reboot era, as well as the series overall. Being the penultimate issue of the original continuity, it can feel very bittersweet that we'd never get to see Shard again, and by extension, the rest of the old world, but Tracy and crew were firing on all cylinders with that clash between Metal and Shard.

Random thought regarding Archie sonic pre-reboot:

I kinda feel like the Source of All, if recent Sonic canon had been incorporated into the pre-reboot era, would have ended up being the blood of Dark/Light Gaia, and it turns out Dark Gaia was using its blood to sow the seeds of future destruction into the world by influencing those who used it's blood. Or maybe it's Light Gaia's blood and he tries to preserve the world but lacks the ability to empathize with people directly due to being disconnected from the world as a deity.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

That definitely sounds like Ian's sort of plotting when bringing the comics in line with the games. Like in Order from Chaos, Melting all the chaos emeralds down to the core 7, and rebranding the Zone of Silence into the Special Zone.