Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

32 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Spaz was definitely on his A game in the early days of the book, and maybe it's just me, but I love when the books are hit with mandated adaptions like Adventure. The team has to get real creative, real fast to make this thing, that's almost fundamentally different from what they've been building at, work at all.

I do like what I remember of the Adventure adaptation.

Too bad it apparently ended up breaking the up the Kodos and Uma subplot.

I am on 128 now. Middle of the Lost in Space story line. In particular the E.V.E. issue. Also, I would still say Spaz's art is still top notch but I do agree, his early issues like 25 and Mecha Madness are his finest work and truly the perfect representation of Sonic. Flawless to the say the least imo.

I will say the issues post Adventure were eh, but the last few leading up to 125 are solid, plus Lost in Space is a good part imo. Pumped for more!

• Nice Smile 1

I enjoyed the book during that time period. Felt kinda nice having some standalone stories again after years and years of ongoing storyline.

So you're getting close to the infamous "slap" issue. Issues during that time period were hit and miss, probably the pinnacle of what fans refer to as the "furry drama" era of the book that lasted until the big housecleaning in 160.

On the plus side, you're also coming up on "Return To Angel Island", probably one of the best storylines--or at least one of my favorite--in the history of the book.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I honestly like the run from 90 - 100 even though I imagine that's where a lot of people jump off since Mina, technically, starts the shipping wars that seem to drag the book down for a lot of people, I don't think that gets too bad until Sonic comes out of Space. Oh and they put everyone in a highschool setting despite, you know, waging a guerrilla war for some odd years. They should practically be combat veterans at this point.

There's a real low between #99 to like #116 where you can tell the books were on a shoestring. The main stories got completely hamstrung to give Knuckles space for B stories now that he didn't have his own series for that to play out.

#109, let's remind everyone that Rotor's family are a bunch of mind controlled zombies, and do nothing about it for 100 more issues.

#112, I actually really like this one, but it's still a really short story where Antoine fools himself into doing something brave.

#116, Muttiski gets super speed and the whole things over in a montage.

They actually do some pretty interesting things here, like nuke Robotropolis, or Knuckles warping reality, Mecha Sonic and Tails steamrolling de-robotized Robotnik and Snively, but they all could of benefited from more page time.

Anyone ever pay attention to Archie Sonic's feats, and that he could actually destroy the Dragon Ball Super universe? Alot of those fans tend to lowball him just because he's a Sonic Character, when he's vastly broken in this series. I mean, taking someone down that can crush multiverses with his BARE hands? That's freaking insane.

Edited by Kiah

I am probably in minority here (I think..) but is it me or does Sally kind of get on your nerves a bit? I donno. I used to not mind her but she's kind of getting annoying to me now. I am on the issues after Sonic gets back from space.

Also not a fan of the future of Mobius issues. I guess it is a 'possible' reality which makes it fine I guess, but its kind of boring.  I do like the current story though and Tossed in Space was phenomenal imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:28 AM, MrKnifeGod said:

Anyone ever pay attention to Archie Sonic's feats, and that he could actually destroy the Dragon Ball Super universe? Alot of those fans tend to lowball him just because he's a Sonic Character, when he's vastly broken in this series. I mean, taking someone down that can crush multiverses with his BARE hands? That's freaking insane.

Archie Sonic is busted. That shouldn't be news to anyone.

Its literally insane what that little blue spikeball can do. Nothing should move that fast.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

I am probably in minority here (I think..) but is it me or does Sally kind of get on your nerves a bit? I donno. I used to not mind her but she's kind of getting annoying to me now. I am on the issues after Sonic gets back from space.

I'm going to assume you've reached "The Slap."

On 3/13/2018 at 10:34 PM, DabigRG said:

Who were your favorite member(s) of each team/group?

To answer my own question real quick, I'll drop some names:

Team Sonic: Knuckles and Cream

Knothole/Mobotropolis Freedom Fighters: Antoine; Rotor

Knuckles' Chaotix: Vector

Acorn Lineage: I guess Elias 

Council of Acorn: Hamlin

Rebel Underground/Secret Service: Probably Geoffrey by default, with a nod towards Valdez 

Brotherhood of Guardians: Spectre, with a nod to Thunderhawk

Team Dark: Eh, Omega

Secret Freedom Fighters: Larry and Shard

Krazy Kitters/Woodland Kingsman: Thorn

Downunda FF: Technically Thrash, but officially Barby

Forty Fanthom FF: ...Fluke?

SandBlastCity: Shift, with a nod to Tex

Shinin Warriors: Eh, Jian

Arctic FF: Erma

Original FF: Bull

Meropis: Striker

Desert Raiders: Probably Trevor

Wolf Pack: Um...Canus?

Eggman Empire: Eggman

Metal Series: Tails Doll

SSSSSS: Coconuts

Eggman's Children: Mecha

Dark Egg Legion: Probably Hood

Egg Bosses: Axel, with a nod to Thunderbolt

Dark Legion: Moritori

Order of Ixis/Naugus Twins: Naugus and Nusgua; Wendy 

Witchcarters: Bearenger

Mobius Underworld: Downtown

Hooligans: Nack; Bark

Destructix: Predator

Iron Dominion: Regina

Four Houses: I guess Conquering

Naugus's Vanguard: Kodos

Battlebird Armada: Battle  Lord

Babylon Rogues: Eh, Storm

Deadly Six: Zor, with a nod to Zik

Setting Dawn: Mr. Bristles and Opal

Zone Cops: Zonic, with a nod to Zobotnik

Silver's Crew: I guess Von Schlemmer

Coconut Crew: Gardon

Suppression Squad: Technically Scourge, but Officially Miles 

Dark FF: Probably Demo

Future FF: Maybe Argyle

5 hours ago, GOAT said:

Also not a fan of the future of Mobius issues. I guess it is a 'possible' reality which makes it fine I guess, but its kind of boring.  I do like the current story though and Tossed in Space was phenomenal imo.

Oh, if you spoke to my brother. He found her annoying from day one.

Starting with orignal miniseries (when she wanted to get robotizcized, but didn't explained her plan to other, but she blamed Sonic anyway), through being rude to that weird duck in #9, slapping Sonic for saving her when she dressed as a witch in #7...

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

slapping Sonic for saving her when she dressed as a witch in #7...

She must've wanted dat yolk

Ok so I'm glad I am not the only one annoyed by Sally. Yeah and when looking at the whole robotizing herself thing and paralleling with Mecha Madness it does make you think, she's a huge hypocrite. 

Sally becomes an overly emotional trainwreck when Sonic returns from space. I mean, I kinda understand how she feels to a point, but Bollers takes it waaaaay over the top to the point where she's just...well, a mess.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

50 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Ok so I'm glad I am not the only one annoyed by Sally. Yeah and when looking at the whole robotizing herself thing and paralleling with Mecha Madness it does make you think, she's a huge hypocrite. 

The situations were very different.

Sonic wanted to retry the plan that failed in Issue 29, where Classic Mecha Sally first debuted. The plan was to let one person get roboticized while wearing a device that prevents them from losing their free will. Fortunately, they had a deroboticizer to turn her back to normal as a failsafe. 

Years later, Sally had Nicole hack Eggman's "Operation: Clean Sweep" plan to prevent Eggman from turning everyone on the entire planet who's not a robot into a robot while destroying all the cyborgs and current robots in the process. In order to save the world, she choose to became roboticized in the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally was initially one of the main reasons why, when I first got into the books at around 194, I was unable to fully enjoy them or be on board with the concept surrounding the world and the relations the characters had.

I calmed down the more I got used to it but the earlier reactions I had was me being very frustrated with the on and off relationship, the nagging, the differences in motivation and attitude when it came to Sonic in relation to someone like Sally, and more. I don't think I hated her so much as I hated her position in the story. Julie-Su, I totally hated though.

That was on the heels of Eggman losing his mind and the Iron Dominion stuff. I also remember the really bad 30-Years-Later arc. Despite my grievances with the comic at the time, I didn't agree with the notion that it was "fanfiction" but that arc felt like the best argument for that notion detractors could have had. Tails has a son and he's married to Mina because... he had to have a kid with someone I guess.

Ironically, now that the book is done, I can look back on those old stories I didn't like with a more positive outlook thanks to hindsight. Reading back through them sometime in the future is going to be fun.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I also remember the really bad 30-Years-Later arc. Despite my grievances with the comic at the time, I didn't agree with the notion that it was "fanfiction" but that arc felt like the best argument for that notion detractors could have had. Tails has a son and he's married to Mina because... he had to have a kid with someone I guess.

To be fair, Ian was just working off the (terrible) foundation he was given by Ken Penders' original story. I honestly think he did a decent job considering what he had to work with.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

To be fair, Ian was just working off the (terrible) foundation he was given by Ken Penders' original story. I honestly think he did a decent job considering what he had to work with.

Oh I know. I'm just saying that it's still a bad story. No offense to Ian.

I thought I read something about why he decided to go back into that world again but it's been so long, I don't even remember if I actually did, let alone what the reason was.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Sally becomes an overly emotional trainwreck when Sonic returns from space. I mean, I kinda understand how she feels to a point, but Bollers takes it waaaaay over the top to the point where she's just...well, a mess.

Dub's cartoony artstyle didn't exactly help either.

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh I know. I'm just saying that it's still a bad story. No offense to Ian.

I thought I read something about why he decided to go back into that world again but it's been so long, I don't even remember if I actually did, let alone what the reason was.

It was partly because Mike Pellerito wanted a story involving Shadow as a dictator around the time.

I thought the whole “Shadow being a dictator” thing actually worked well as a psuedo tie-in to his game, since it’s pretty likely that he would go on to become one in one or two of the alternate endings. And as somebody who’s always wanted a story set in an alternate timeline based on one of those endings, I’ve always appreciated that.

• Thumbs Up 7

As Shadow fan I wasn't offended at all at existence of King Shadow. You know how many heroes have evil alter egos in What-If timelines?

I'm mostly disappointing that Lara-Su took him down like a punk, one if shortest fight I seen (in post 160 Archie Sonic anyway)

Here’s an oddity about the series that I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody talk about before. The fact that for the first seven or so years of his existence, the artists were intent on drawing Eggman as if he had two glass lenses for eyes instead of glasses:

ynBvHF.jpg

3d5MY6.jpg

RCKkSs.jpg

The best explinstion I can come up with is because they were going by his in-game SA1 model:

bfgkJc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Here’s an oddity about the series that I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody talk about before. The fact that for the first seven or so years of his existence, the artists were intent on drawing Eggman as if he had two glass lenses for eyes instead of glasses:

ynBvHF.jpg

3d5MY6.jpg

RCKkSs.jpg

The best explinstion I can come up with is because they were going by his in-game SA1 model:

bfgkJc.jpg

Initially, I think it was because Eggman wasn't really a human, but a robotic backup body that Robo-Robotnik had downloaded himself into, so I think the presumption initially was that his eyes really WERE lenses, as an indicator of his robotic nature. Heck, in addition to that, his goggles were sometimes portrayed as nodes sticking out of his head rather than as an accessory. 

Granted, at least two of the examples up there are from after the BEM de-robo'd him back into a human, so much of what I just said doesn't hold water after that point, but still. I'd hazard that at least part of it was old drawing habits dying hard, if they'd gotten used to his eyes actually being lenses by that point. 

Man, it just serves as a good reminder of how screwy the Pre-Reboot continuity got....

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

ynBvHF.jpg

3d5MY6.jpg

RCKkSs.jpg

bfgkJc.jpg

Yeah, I've noticed that as well.

I like it, though. His eyes are rarely visible after all, so the next best thing is to treat his glasses as if they are his eyes for the sake of expression.

Pretty sure his glasses just don't have a bridge. I mean, it's weird, but I think that's what they were going for.