Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Seeing as it's SU, I'm guessing it has to do with Mighty and his woes.

Right, but since Rob is for the most part a Penders character that's how I interpreted it. But then again Penders cares more about his echidnas than any other "creations" of his.

So, finally, people are starting to get SU#48. They described it as tragic, and not as in "the comic was tragic quality".

Let me guess: Matilda dies? She cannot defect from the Dark Egg Legion?

Right, but since Rob is for the most part a Penders character that's how I interpreted it. But then again Penders cares more about his echidnas than any other "creations" of his.

Rob isn't in this part of the arc, we're fighting the Sand Blasters now!

Let me guess: Matilda dies? She cannot defect from the Dark Egg Legion?

I dunno how yet, I haven't seen any spoilers. But they did say that one panel in particular stuck out...

I guess whatever happened, it's probably the reason Mighty is going to be swinging a tank like a hammer, if the SU 49 cover is to be believed.

Haven't been keeping up much with Charmy's recent potrayals, personally, so this may not be anything very new, but I'm glad that, despite the whole brain damage thing, Charmy is still being potrayed as intelligent and competent.

Charmy being portrayed as competent isn't that new since he was instrumental to the final mission of StH #199, amongst other things.

Intelligent though? This is pretty much the first time Charmy's been able to interact like this, since Ian's been a bit shy about making him a for-laughs character prior. 

Also, THANK GOD FINALLY THAT GOD AWFUL JACKET IS GONE. 

Man I can't believe the Sand Blasters would call themselves Freedom Fighters, they're nothing but huge assholes to me.

Also, THANK GOD FINALLY THAT GOD AWFUL JACKET IS GONE. 

Not only that, but Ray has his skin flaps back (or whatever their called). They finally made his design closer to the original SegaSonic the Hedgehog appearance.

He doesn't look so much like Tails anymore.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Oh, remember how I said one panel stuck out for the person who had the issue?

Well, it had nothing to do with tragedy, it's a game of hide and seek!

ShadowRabbit.jpg

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Figures Bunnie would end up here. Question is, What the hell did she do to herself while shes here?...

Edited by goku262002

Oh, remember how I said one panel stuck out for the person who had the issue?

Well, it had nothing to do with tragedy, it's a game of hide and seek!

ShadowRabbit.jpg

Ooooo snap...

Charmy being portrayed as competent isn't that new since he was instrumental to the final mission of StH #199, amongst other things.

Intelligent though? This is pretty much the first time Charmy's been able to interact like this, since Ian's been a bit shy about making him a for-laughs character prior. 

Oooh, now I remember, both his importance in the Egg Dome raid back then, and Ian talking about his relunctance to use Charmy in a comedic fashion...thank you for jogging my memory. biggrin.png

Awwww.

It turns out Matilda just flat out rejected her brother. 

To be honest, that kind of adds more similarities to me. I always thought her manner seemed like mine when I'm at my less social, but if I saw Mighty and he wanted to take me back, I'd be like "The Chaotix are here and you're NOT Vector or Espio? On your bike."

And I LIKE Mighty and Ray! A lot!

I love Jack Rabbit so much. He's such a bastard. We've seen him at his worst so many times that I wonder what it'd be like to see him play hero. Not too heroic. He opposes Eggman after all, I wanna see his team on a raid or something.

Edited by American Ristar

Man I can't believe the Sand Blasters would call themselves Freedom Fighters, they're nothing but huge assholes to me.

Eh, the Freedom Fighter tagline fits as they are more or less a squad of dudes in direct opposition to the Eggman empire for the collective benefit of nearby residents (being Sandblast city).

I always kinda liked how there were a few FF groups out there with more... questionable methods. it makes their dynamic all the more interesting. Not everyone does things on the moral high road. ^^

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Personally, my problem with the concept behind the Sand Blasters and Beuregard Rabbot's DEL division is that neither side seems truly morally ambiguous. It doesn't feel there's a bunch of bad guys with symapthetic traits and a bunch of a good guys with questionable methods so much as it feels like Beuregard's team are good guys forced to masquerade as villains, and the Sand Blasters are just villains who just want to fight another villain(Eggman). So, to me at least, it winds up feeling like more black and white morality dressed up in different clothes...though admittedly, I could be missing some context, and thus being overly cynical about the situation.

This is a written version of the pros and cons of Ian Flynn's current Sonic story arc in the main comic.

First, let's look at the pros :

1. That characters that normally don't get the "spotlight", are now getting some spotlight.  Characters involved in groups like, Team Freedom and the Secret Freedom Fighters are just among those many that are getting more spotlight and focus then they ever had before.

2.  Tails and Amy are getting more development and spotlight then they ever had before as well.  And if you're a fan of these characters or the games, then this is definitely an improvement in your eyes.

3.  Giving Sonic a real reason to go after Eggman.  That reason being to save Sally and return her to normal.

The cons :

1. The length of the story arc.  Now before any of you bring out your pitchforks, let me explain.  Now some of you might enjoy and are enjoying Ian's current story arc and believe it's the best thing going today.  However as many of you know, there are others that feel that the length of this story arc has become way too much for Ian Flynn to handle.  And that his best strengths when it comes to writing a story arc is writing a story arc at the length of 4 – 6 issues at most, not a near if not over a two-year arc.  Now don't get me wrong, I think it's very ambitious of Ian to want to try this and possibly show that even a comic book based on the Sonic franchise could hold a very long story arc like those you see in several Marvel and DC comics.

2. Not making Mecha-Sally a viable threat as a villainess (temporary or not).  Now this is one thing I do agree upon with several fans.  I understand others out there will counter this and say the exact opposite.  And they have a right to that opinion.  But mostly for what I have heard from those that support Ian and those that don't, the one thing they have both agreed upon is the fact that in her current condition Sally has not been shown as a real threat.  And I agree that from what I have read from other fans point of view, that Ian Flynn has had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to make her a viable threat as a temporary villainess.  But has yet to capitalize on it.  Sure I'll give Ian credit for making Sally say certain things that she did, for example, what she said to Lupe in 237, can be seen as threatening.  Heck you can even throw in what she said after Antoine got severely injured 4 to 5 issues before that.  But if you take that all way, you have to agree she hasn't been that much of a threat.  And again I know people will disagree, and that's okay, because this is all based on opinion and different points of view.

3. Nicole's exile.  I am among those that is glad her exile is over.  But I do agree you could have dragged it on a little longer.  And what I mean by that, is you could have waited for the city and the Council to see the threat and truth with Nagus before they reversed the decision of Nicole's exile.  In other words make them a desperate enough to finally wake up and realize the mistake they made.  That to me would make for a great triumphant return for Nicole from exile.

Now I understand this probably isn't as much as what I said elsewhere, and I know some things are different, but I thought I'd give you what you're asking me to do and that's give you a written version of my pros and cons of the current Sonic story arc.

Comments are indeed welcomed
Edited by bwrosas
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with pretty much every point except the first nega, I think he's doing fine making the story arc long and I think it's been great so far. However I guess in its own way, the fact he's not used to long story arcs may have had a negative effect on how anti-climactic Sally and Nicole's situations were.

Sally was the least threatening roboticized main character ever, she just made everyone sad and got beat up easily. What she really needed to do was practically torture everyone tbh.

And yeah Nicole's exile was turned over much too easily, I'm glad she's back too but it sort of stopped the situation from having any real impact.. just seemed like a digression or delay in the end.

Giving Sonic a real reason to go after Eggman.  That reason being to save Sally and return her to normal.

A "real" reason, you say? As opposed to Eggman's general goal of taking over Mobius and enslaving everyone Sonic knows and cares for?

A "real" reason, you say? As opposed to Eggman's general goal of taking over Mobius and enslaving everyone Sonic knows and cares for?

That's a real vanilla reason if you think about, putting more personal stakes onto it makes it a lot more meaningful. Not that it wasn't before, but I get what he's saying.