Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It may not be as bad as that...

sonic255_6.jpg

But this is still not how proportions work!

Good lord. His left leg must be 3 feet long.

Good lord. His left leg must be 3 feet long.

Never mind his leg! Look at the other leg and the foot/shoe! Actually, looking at this Sonic more, there's other things that are very off. His cranial quills are far too straight, thin and short, stomach marking shape is misaligned, tail is too high up and he overall has great issues with proportioning.

soniccolourslongleg.jpg

Your point is? This is stretch/squash animation that empathizes Sonic's element of cartooniness. That comic example exhibits no such thing and is just bad.

...really now? That seems like a pretty lame double standard.

Both are cartoons, the only difference is that one is animated in freeze-frame and the other is an action shot. Even in still-framed comics and artworks, characters squash and stretch often (especially when it contains cartoon talking bipedal animals), so I don't see why a slightly longer leg in the middle of running is so terrible. In fact, compared to a lot of other action shots, it has a fair bit of believable structure to it.

If you're going to criticize something like that, you may as well pick apart every shot of Sonic with the wheel-o-feet. 

THIS, however...

tumblr_lxu29iA4Vp1qedo7io1_500.png

...has no believable structure whatsoever. The way the arms are elongated does not accentuate the feel of running, and ironically enough, the very fact that the legs are not terribly stretched outwards works against the visual illusion of running really fast.

That and Sonic's neck is displaced.

If that's supposed to be a portrayal of cartoony movement then as far as I'm concerned, it's failed at that completely. It doesn't look right at all as the proportions are so off. I mean the scan from the newest comic, not that abomination above.

It looks perfectly fine to me. I never had a problem believing that Sonic was running fast.

sonic255_6.jpg

I really can't see why that one stretchy leg bothers you so darn much in a cartoon.

It looks perfectly fine to me. I never had a problem believing that Sonic was running fast.

I really can't see why that one stretchy leg bothers you so darn much in a cartoon.

The problem with that comic panel is that nothing suggests it is stretching out cartoonily in the first place. The leg is the same thickness all the way along, compared to if it was stretching then the leg would be thinner closer to Sonic's body.

And thats not to mention that the shoe is smaller than the one on the other foot :V

• Thumbs Up 1

What do you mean it isn't stretching out cartoonily? It clearly is, leg thickness and all. 

I see the shoe as being stretched the other way moreso than a difference in size. 

I don't think I said that it was a perfect picture, just that the form and structure makes sense for what they are trying to convey.

Forget it. If I wanted to criticize the physical structure comics and cartoons, I'd just re-register for the cartooning class I took. This is just silly.

Edited by Indigo Rush

So in other news, this walrus guy has an... uncanny resemblence to eggman XD

Almost looks like a evil Rotor….wait a minute, is Archie allowed to use Rotor's family?

If they aren't, it'd be because they were off limits from copyright, not family mandates.

But not every character of the same species has to be related.

For me it's not just one unusually long leg that puts me off this artwork so much, it's that I've been so used to really good artists, like Yardley, Peppers, Staneley and Bates, who've been pencilling a lot of the issues as of recent time that it's a bit strange to see such a different style to theirs.  They all go by what I like to call the Sega style, which is because they're similar to the Sega artwork of the characters (not exactly, but I hope you know what I mean).

Almost looks like a evil Rotor….wait a minute, is Archie allowed to use Rotor's family?

Yes considering Rotor isn't a Sega character- they can pretty much do what they want with Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor and Sally. The only issue is that Penders created a lot of the side characters including Elias and Alicia so they probably won't show up again (then again they didn't have much purpose until Ian came along and made something out of them). I'm not sure if Penders had anything to do with Rotor's mother or brother but I don't believe his father has even been mentioned so...........

Think you can extract that so we don't have to bicker with that flash bullshit?

*Assuming I didn't do that as soon as I got linked to it*

:/

Although what I got does have compression issues.

jump1_zpsfdc537e6.png

jump2_zpsc0d2adde.png

jump3_zps9981ad0e.png

jump4_zps7302754b.png

jump5_zpse4a2824c.png

Well that was a story makes me wonder what they are going to do for the sonic dash adaptation a game with no plot.

Did Eggman said what I thought he said on the 3rd page? Lol.

Fuck? Shit? Prick? Asshole? It could be just about anything behind that scribble :P

He/she/they are/is responsible for 'art' like this;

Actually, if I may be so honest, the second page isn't horrible. Is it lazy? Oh, hell yes, it is very lazy. But it's not 'terrible'. I mean, it shouldn't have been allowed to be put into the comic in the first place, but, yeah.

But that first page... *sighs through her teeth* How could anyone think that... piece of garbage masquerading as art would be even close to being acceptible? I mean, come on! Everyone is horribly misshapen, the 'shading' looks like it was done by an amatuer photoshop artist who had just discovered the burn tool, Sonic's quills look like he stuck his finger in a light socket in the first panel and why the hell is his nose sticking out of the second one? And his arm in the third panel? Dear god that looks painful. And that's just Sonic. Sally and Snively look just as bad in thier own right.

I really like the art on that Jump adaptation! Hope Jennifer will get a chance to draw in the main book, or at least Universe!

• Thumbs Up 2