Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Finally got my issue of #255 today. Thoughts in spoiler. 

Another wonderful issue! With each new issue, I continue to like this new world. Really liked the moment when tons of Eggman Empire members were seen with some badniks. I also can't be the only one who thought Eggman's reindeer transport was looking a bit beast in design, right? Anyways, one big difference that I noticed in this issue was the art being a bit different, but honestly I found the art to be pretty okay. A few moments here and there where I personally thought it looked a bit weird, but for the most part the art in this issued stayed nice enough until the end. And sweet, Bunnie is back! I really found it touching seeing Antoine and Bunnie reunited as married couples.

I'm sure many others who have the issue also noticed that Nicole said it'll come down to Sally or Amy regaining their old memories. Honestly, I'm not really sure who I want to get their old memories back, but I might slightly be leaning a bit more towards Sally getting them. I do want Sally to get her memories back mostly because I feel she does have her rights to remember everything in the past that she been through, especially what all happened with becoming Mecha Sally. At the same time, though, it probably could be for the best for Sally not to have her old memories. We could focus just on this new world Sally and knowing whatever stuff she been through that differed from the other world life. And it could give Sonic a fresh (semi)new start with Sally again. Wouldn't this also help eliminate any Penders stuff as well...? Now, as for Amy, again, I feel that she does have her rights to remember the things from the past, but at the same time if she doesn't remember anything, would anything important really be lost? I really can't recall anything big that happened to Amy in the other world that I think she should remember. For the most part, she'll probably end up being closer to her game counterpart in the comics now more than ever, and Amy really doesn't, at least to me, hold as much importance compared to Sally. We'll cross that bridge whenever we get to it, as Sonic said.

All in all, great issue. Looking forward to seeing Sally in next month issue, and maybe Amy and Cream as well since their on the cover for #256.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the art on that Jump adaptation! Hope Jennifer will get a chance to draw in the main book, or at least Universe!

Yeah, the art does look freaking awesome.

I see so many people constantly complaining about the way Sonic looks in this new issue, yet not may people are mentioning the way Eggman looks throughout the issue. He was the one that constantly looks massively out of place. I didn't even notice the things with Sonic and Bunnie that had been mentioned until some of you guys brought it up.

I see so many people constantly complaining about the way Sonic looks in this new issue, yet not may people are mentioning the way Eggman looks throughout the issue. He was the one that constantly looks massively out of place. I didn't even notice the things with Sonic and Bunnie that had been mentioned until some of you guys brought it up.

It's just because it's been a while since we've seen some bad art in the main comic. But certain parts where truly bad- such as when Bunnie and Anotine reunite- I don't even know where she was suppose to look. 

So apparently the robot in the Chase will be E-106 Eta now, not E-107 Theta.

Because we know how completely different that is compared to Theta tongue.png

So apparently the robot in the Chase will be E-106 Eta now, not E-107 Theta.

I'm assuming there's not much difference between the two. I'm guessing the name change is something to do with the fact it was used in M30YL storyline?

I heard something about this- why the change?

Funny thing about that; I made a comment on it at Bumbleking, intending it to just be a tangential quip.

Judging by the reply I got, Theta is off limits now, and all elements of M:30YL are consciously going to be avoided so that readers don't think it's still possible. I accidentally the confirmation. 

Edit: Although in Theta's case, it's just that the name E107 Theta appears to be off limits since nothing came of it in M:30YL itself.

Funny thing about that; I made a comment on it at Bumbleking, intending it to just be a tangential quip.

Judging by the reply I got, Theta is off limits now, and all elements of M:30YL are consciously going to be avoided so that readers don't think it's still possible. I accidentally the confirmation. 

Edit: Although in Theta's case, it's just that the name E107 Theta appears to be off limits since nothing came of it in M:30YL itself.

I looked on Bumbleking when I saw your post- I hated the M30YL story lines so this is win win for me. And at least it doesn't change the entire issue unlike "Endangered Species". Mind you Ian must be having a hard time making these changes during production. 

You're not kidding. First time it was discussed two weeks ago Ian was merely like "Huh, forgot it was in M:30YL". Then a week later he wasn't in the story, then a week later it had become barred from use.

I mean, the lattermost was probably true a week ago, but still.

Crikey, they're really being brutal with making as few references as possible.  Then again like Blackbell said, I really didn't care much for the M:30YL storyline.  It just never felt truly connected to past it was supposed to have in my opinion.

Well, for what it's worth, "Eta" still falls within the naming convention, and technically makes more sense than "Theta" if you're following the numbering of the E-series robots ("Eta" comes after "Zeta," the last of the robots Gamma destroyed). Who knows, maybe "E-107 Theta" is off limits, but an "E-108 Theta" won't be.

CDtC is getting a graphic novel.

Could actually be the start of a whole new GN series, since they've numbered it.

Good to see Archie FINALLY getting with the times with Sonic, but cripes we have at least six different trade lines now. The two Archives (with Knuckles's run ending next year if I'm not mistaken), the Legacy line, Sagas, Universe, and NOW a line that actually follows the current storyline (you know, like EVERY OTHER COMIC BOOK CURRENTLY ON THE MARKET!).

EDIT: Oh wait, it's not released in the usual window as other comic books (typically three months after the arc ends--here it's more than half a year off). One step forward, two steps back. Well, hopefully it won't be as far behind as collecting Universe is. "Waiting for the trade" is still not a worthwhile option with this series though.

Well, for what it's worth, "Eta" still falls within the naming convention, and technically makes more sense than "Theta" if you're following the numbering of the E-series robots ("Eta" comes after "Zeta," the last of the robots Gamma destroyed). Who knows, maybe "E-107 Theta" is off limits, but an "E-108 Theta" won't be.

Good to see Archie FINALLY getting with the times with Sonic, but cripes we have at least six different trade lines now. The two Archives (with Knuckles's run ending next year if I'm not mistaken), the Legacy line, Sagas, Universe, and NOW a line that actually follows the current storyline (you know, like EVERY OTHER COMIC BOOK CURRENTLY ON THE MARKET!).

EDIT: Oh wait, it's not released in the usual window as other comic books (typically three months after the arc ends--here it's still a year or so off). One step forward, two steps back. Well, hopefully it won't be as far behind as collecting Universe is. "Waiting for the trade" is still not a worthwhile option with this series though.

Is there much point getting the archives considering how it's basically been wiped? 

CDtC is getting a graphic novel.

Could actually be the start of a whole new GN series, since they've numbered it.

Interesting- however the right way to go. Hopefully this will mean that past events will have some implication but the main focus looks at moving the characters forward. 

Is there much point getting the archives considering how it's basically been wiped?

Meh, if you're a real continuity hound, and you wanted to see everything before and after the "soft" reboot (and in a sense, some events did happen, apparently, just rearranged to fall in line with the games' continuity), there's probably some value. If you don't care and just want everything from #252 onwards, they're probably not worth anything but an interesting history lesson or a study in the many different directions older writers took Sonic in the past (good and bad).

You're not kidding. First time it was discussed two weeks ago Ian was merely like "Huh, forgot it was in M:30YL". Then a week later he wasn't in the story, then a week later it had become barred from use.

I mean, the lattermost was probably true a week ago, but still.

Okay, why the change though? is this a mandate by SEGA? if so, why the mandate? or does this have to do with Penders?

E-107 is made up, a character exclusive to the comics that was namedropped but not much else, this makes zero sense for SEGA to say anything. Unless E-107 is planned to be used by them...

And as allways, can we see these posts Ian made?

I'm guessing it has to do more with the Penders stuff and Archie keeping themselves on their toes than Sega.

Aren't they being more on their toes in general about Sega and less about Penders now? Sega was the one that pretty much forced this entire thing now, when it sounded like that things could have eventually been resolved maybe, but now we are stuck now right?

Aren't they being more on their toes in general about Sega and less about Penders now? Sega was the one that pretty much forced this entire thing now, when it sounded like that things could have eventually been resolved maybe, but now we are stuck now right?

Yes Sega are doing this to get away from the issue revolving Penders and to have the comic becoming more central to the game universe. I don't think their stuck- they're moving in the right direction. If they relate back to M:30YL fans will continue to assume that it's considered almost cannon as far as the comic is concerned. Ian's probably doing what Sega is telling him to and avoiding anything that can be related back to Pender's work (which is pretty much that god awful ark). It's a win-win. We get to avoid seeing silly fan characters and the comic becomes a hell of a lot better because it's relating much more to the gaming franchise. The new rest will help get rid of any of these issues. 

... SEGA were the ones who forced what exactly? Archie was the one to beg for the court to conclude the case in some anyway since they were bleeding money at that point. Stop spreading misinfo.

Seriously. Sega didn't do any of this, it's all Archie guys. Still the best thing to happen to the book in forever though.

• Thumbs Up 3

... SEGA were the ones who forced what exactly? Archie was the one to beg for the court to conclude the case in some anyway since they were bleeding money at that point. Stop spreading misinfo.

And once again you all start blaming me for shit. Why do I even bother.

So friggin what if Archie did this and not Sega. With the Sega mandates of let's be like the games, believe me, I'm worried this comic is going to become way too predictable and not creative at all just like that middle season of Sonic X where everything was flat out predictable and not fun at all.

Honestly, I would say that Archie is covering their bases, They arent afraid of keeping general events, or even certian characters, however anything that is vaguely connected to Penders(even if M30YL was written by flynn, its continuation of a story by penders, and involving a lot of his characters), so while they arent afraid of keeping general links to the old universe, they also want to show they can keep stuff indepent of stuff connected heavily to penders

While this may cause some frustration and annoyances, on the other hand we may end up with a slightly better universe because of it, and honestly Flynn may end up with even better results with what he does have left. For example, I could see him doing something interesting with Finetivus if is able to bring him back. Oh and Mogul who is usable, and if Flynn decides to bring him back into play because he is one of the handful of characters he could use in a villian position

I think people need to stop throwing around the word "mandates" because they keep making it sound like SEGA has the Archie team all under a guillotine if things aren't exactly their way... Yes, SEGA is being more involved in a licensed product based around their flagship, which makes more money than anything else they produce, and you can't blame them for that (it's their property, and we should be glad they didn't just pluck the license and end the book altogether). You don't have to like it, but that's just how it is.

And my feelings are still mixed on this whole thing. I'm not happy that this is route Archie took because of the whole legal mess, but provided the comics aren't 1:1 with the games--I agree with Jet Prower that it'd be boring when I read the Archie book specifically because it was unique--it should be fine. Archie's still creating new characters and unique situations, while also breathing life into characters that otherwise would no longer be relevant (Sally and the others could've essentially been wiped in the process too--let's give Flynn and Kaminski some credit for trying to rework them), so I don't think it's something we have to worry about too much. I'd rather have Julie-Su and the rest of the comic-only characters back, since they were actually being written better now and could've been interesting, but the book will not necessarily be diminished since nobody outside the fandom would really know or care who most of them are anyway (I tried to explain this situation to someone at my comic shop who was hesitant about getting into the comic because of how long it's been running, and they didn't know who I was talking about and for some reason thought I meant the Chaotix--and then he went on some rant, so I just got the hell out of there).

While this may cause some frustration and annoyances, on the other hand we may end up with a slightly better universe because of it, and honestly Flynn may end up with even better results with what he does have left. For example, I could see him doing something interesting with Finetivus if is able to bring him back. Oh and Mogul who is usable, and if Flynn decides to bring him back into play because he is one of the handful of characters he could use in a villian position

Man, I really want Finitevus and Mogul back. I'd also like to see Scourge again, but since apparently Scourge's legal status is still unknown (last I heard), I guess we won't be seeing him in the near future, if at all. But I think seeing what happens to Finitevus and Mogul after these current events would be really interesting. Mogul especially, given the "remixed" history of the new universe. He'd no longer be powered by Chaos Emerald, for one, but he can still retain his Ixis powers (we know Naugus is still around, and we'll likely be seeing him down the line) and could, arguably, be a more unique villain in this universe because of that (he's no longer forced to use an Emerald, and all the Emeralds are no longer out of reach like they were before pre-crossover).

Man, I really want Finitevus and Mogul back. I'd also like to see Scourge again, but since apparently Scourge's legal status is still unknown (last I heard), I guess we won't be seeing him in the near future, if at all. But I think seeing what happens to Finitevus and Mogul after these current events would be really interesting. Mogul especially, given the "remixed" history of the new universe. He'd no longer be powered by Chaos Emerald, for one, but he can still retain his Ixis powers (we know Naugus is still around, and we'll likely be seeing him down the line) and could, arguably, be a more unique villain in this universe because of that (he's no longer forced to use an Emerald, and all the Emeralds are no longer out of reach like they were before pre-crossover).

I think there is a ddecent possibility of him being linked to Nagus, however the Ixis stuff no longer exists as shown in the opening comic of this arc(it was created by penders if I remember correctly, even if it was Bollers who developed it)

But Yeah, opens up a lot of interesting posibilities, also makes you wonder what Mina Mongoose's position in this new timeline as well