Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I dunno if the Ixis order stuff still exists in the new continuity. Certainly not the whole thing with the Ixis Masterworks and the shenanigans that occured in the future of the old continuity because of it. since that was more of an M:30YL concept. And Naugus is kind of depowered right now, and doesn't seem to run off the same magic basis as before. 

I'm glad to hear some of you guys are thinking a lot of this through.

As long as the universe stays creative and isn't a mirror copy of the game universe, I can easily get used to the new universe for sure. Things seem to be going OK so far, but still as I've said before, until this arc and likely the next arc is over as well, I'm not sure how much we can say on things just yet. We barely know anything about this universe just yet. We only know the fates of pretty much the original Satam freedom fighters and select video game characters. Things seem good so far, but where they take the original and SU at this point is unknown.

As said before, I don't care who is saying the comic has to be like this, but someone said it had to be like this, as sad as that is. Just make sure the uniqueness of the comic stays and it isn't an arc by arc copy of the video games with just satam characters thrown into the mix. Believe me, that would be boring as all hell if I can flat out predict what is going to happen each issue because we can't be creative and  go out on our own anymore.

I never once thought it was ever going to be 1:1 to the games. Anyone who has been saying that is just being paranoid still.

And again, if you want a good example of a video game-based comic perfectly blending the source material with making fresh/original concepts, I point no further than Archie Mega Man (or the Ariga mangas, those are good too).

I never once thought it was ever going to be 1:1 to the games. Anyone who has been saying that is just being paranoid still.

And again, if you want a good example of a video game-based comic perfectly blending the source material with making fresh/original concepts, I point no further than Archie Mega Man (or the Ariga mangas, those are good too).

along with the Pokemon adventures manga and super mario adventures. But in all seriousness I don't know stand why people want the book to be extremely close to the games.

I think there is a ddecent possibility of him being linked to Nagus, however the Ixis stuff no longer exists as shown in the opening comic of this arc(it was created by penders if I remember correctly, even if it was Bollers who developed it)

But Yeah, opens up a lot of interesting posibilities, also makes you wonder what Mina Mongoose's position in this new timeline as well

Damn, I would've thought the Order of Ixis stuff was created by Bollers (since he handled introducing Naugus--who I understand did appear in SatAM first--to the comic and all). But, who's to say a new form of Ixis couldn't arise in the new continuity? We know Naugus will still be relevant, and he did commission NICOLE to work on something restore his magic (something that he tried to get her to do anyway after lifting her ban in the old continuity), so it's not like any of this stuff came out of nowhere. And now that I look over #252 again, I see "Ixis" was indeed dropped, so I guess exactly what will happen is up in the air at the moment.

But yeah, there are still plenty of creative possiblities even without that particular link.

But in all seriousness I don't know stand why people want the book to be extremely close to the games.

Because people get up in arms about "canon" and don't seem to understand that there's more than one canon/continuity and that's how it's always been (meaning both can be enjoyed as separate entities or one or the other can be ignored). Being "not canon" in people's eyes is just an excuse to ignore or otherwise complain about something that has no effect on their own preferred version anyway.

It's not that I want the comic to be 100% exactly like the games. That would be pretty much impossible due to Sega's red tape, and the limitations it would give the story.

What I always wanted, was for the comic to at least feel like it was supposed to be the same franchise. I never liked the Sally Power Hour storytelling. I never liked all the useless echidnas mucking about. I never liked all of these elements that cluttered the book created by 50 year old men who knew nothing about, and cared nothing about the source material.

That's fixed now though.

• Thumbs Up 9

If they can make this new universe merge well with the games to where it seems like the comics and the games are the same while not following the games word for word, then all power to them. I had more seen the comics for the longest time of satam the future years honestly. They had slowly changed that over time a bit, but that is still how I had always seen it. What if Satam had continued for years and years and years, then maybe some of the comic stuff would have been in the show long before it happened in the comics.

If now they are going to make original material that could merge along with the game universe, then fine by me. That would help some people that want to say game universe and comic universe. If they could get them merged slightly, then it wouldn't be odd to think any character in the comics could be game canon as well maybe. You never know. If they can make that work, that is definitely a step in the right direction of fixing the confusing universe and time lines and world map problems that have been around for awhile.

It's not that I want the comic to be 100% exactly like the games. That would be pretty much impossible due to Sega's red tape, and the limitations it would give the story.

What I always wanted, was for the comic to at least feel like it was supposed to be the same franchise. I never liked the Sally Power Hour storytelling. I never liked all the useless echidnas mucking about. I never liked all of these elements that cluttered the book created by 50 year old men who knew nothing about, and cared nothing about the source material.

That's fixed now though.

Agreeing with Toby- I don't want it to be retelling older games (though I do like the odd prequel story telling now and then). The comic should be used as a way to advertise the franchise and expand it also. Ian is doing it by having Sonic actually go on adventures, battling enemies and having to deal with difficult situations such as  a Robotized Sally trying to eliminate him, his friends falling in the line of duty, evil doctor changing the reality of his world etc. etc. Things that will effect the character for many more issues.  

What we got from the older comic: Sonic stopping a wedding of his ex-girlfriend, Stopping his evil twin being a two timer, being slapped by his girlfriend on stage in front of the entire city, Seeing a bunch of lifeless echidnas do something that should seem like it's important but not really so most of those arcs can be ignored. 

The comic needed a fresh start long ago- and whether it was Archie or Sega ( I think it's a mixture of the two) who basically said "we've got to take these things away, see what you can do?" - probably going to save the comic in the long run. 

Agreeing with Toby- I don't want it to be retelling older games (though I do like the odd prequel story telling now and then).

Who says it even has to be a prequel story? Ian has apparently said the events of this new world, while a lot closer to the games, isn't completely, 100% in line with it. It's already implying that the events of Unleashed are about to happen despite Colours having already happened.

.....I just want to know why Theta was changed to Eta. ._.

But seriously if the penders thing is right, are they going to be soo paranoid about using pender's works that even refferencing a character that wasn't even shown but was name dropped in an arc that was a continuation to pender's arc and had no involvement with penders has to be changed?!

Read that for a second, doesn't that sound insane to you?!

.....I just want to know why Theta was changed to Eta. ._.

But seriously if the penders thing is right, are they going to be soo paranoid about using pender's works that even refferencing a character that wasn't even shown but was name dropped in an arc that was a continuation to pender's arc and had no involvement with penders has to be changed?!

Read that for a second, doesn't that sound insane to you?!

I think it was discusses further back that Ian forgot that Theta was name dropped a while back when the solicits came out. The point is that M:--YL was mainly based around Penders character Lara-Su. After the lawsuit both Sega and Archie need to get away from anything that could link back to Penders' work and unfortunately (fortunately for me because I hated the arcs) even the continuation that had no involvement from Penders still uses his characters (yuk!). 

At the end of the day it will still be the same issue and the same character, just a different name. Otherwise we'll than have Penders tweeting how Archie might still want to use his work because they mentioned a character from an Arc that was based on something he wrote (seeing his forum the guy is that delusional!)

This is a neat picture

From an official artist, too. 

the_1st_annual_eggman_robotnik_parade_of

Edit: Oh, some interesting tidbits!

Very slightly edited by me.

Heh, cool, that reminds me, I cant wait till they bring Snively back, I think he proably has the best and funniest Sidekick relationship with Eggman when done right, although he can be useful in other ways and be quite useful

Now if we could have a battle of the robo sidekicks, like Crabmeat VS Cubot XD

I think it was discusses further back that Ian forgot that Theta was name dropped a while back when the solicits came out. The point is that M:--YL was mainly based around Penders character Lara-Su. After the lawsuit both Sega and Archie need to get away from anything that could link back to Penders' work and unfortunately (fortunately for me because I hated the arcs) even the continuation that had no involvement from Penders still uses his characters (yuk!).

It could just be covering bases, but the case of Theta makes no sense since it wasn't created by Penders, and so regardless of what storyline it was namedroppd, it's just not his (Same with the "Tikhaos" concept, especially since both Tikal and Chaos are SEGA characters to boot). But, in any case, the name change doesn't feel like a big deal to me. "Eta" would techinically come into sequence after "Zeta" and before "Theta" so it still works. Hell, they'll probably still use the "Theta" name down the line, just not in this particular instance.

That is a really nice picture, and normally I really hate Gray's work unless it is in the right context. When it is in the funnies or in a funny context, he fits wonderfully, when trying to put his work into serious situations, it really is a horrible art style to put in there. Why, despite liking the content of that return to angel island arc from back in the day, the art isn't that great due to being in the chibi format instead of a serious sega format.

Actualy, heres a thought, what if Snively returns in 'The Chase"? seems as good a place as any unless they have an arc planned for his(and perhaps on for Nack's) return?

Also I wonder if Bark and Bean will still be with Amy and Cream in 256?

Because people get up in arms about "canon" and don't seem to understand that there's more than one canon/continuity and that's how it's always been (meaning both can be enjoyed as separate entities or one or the other can be ignored). Being "not canon" in people's eyes is just an excuse to ignore or otherwise complain about something that has no effect on their own preferred version anyway.

Or maybe it would be because we'd like, for once, to see a spinoff of the franchise look like a spinoff of the franchise. In 20 years the closest we had was Sonic the Comic and even that deviated quite away.

EDIT: Oh and Sonic OVA. That was closer still, I suppose. It was great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe it would be because we'd like, for once, to see a spinoff of the franchise look like a spinoff of the franchise. In 20 years the closest we had was Sonic the Comic and even that deviated quite away.

Spinoff though doesn't mean copy exactly word for word the material you are being given. If this comic does turn into that, I believe it  will go downhill rather quickly. Yes, you may have a comic version of the games, but it will be predictable and boring. If the comics don't go off and do their own thing, but if they want to tie the games in there, fine do so, but don't just flat out copy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spinoff though doesn't mean copy exactly word for word the material you are being given. If this comic does turn into that, I believe it  will go downhill rather quickly. Yes, you may have a comic version of the games, but it will be predictable and boring. If the comics don't go off and do their own thing, but if they want to tie the games in there, fine do so, but don't just flat out copy it.

Dude, just because we want the comics to have a better sense of familiarity with the overall franchise, doesn't mean that we're down with them "copying the games word-for-word." Are you certain that they will even do that?

Wanting the comics to take place in the specific world of the games is "copy per copy"? Wanting the comics to build on what the games did is "copy per copy word per word"?

Then screw you, I want a word per word copy, even if it actually isn't and you're just overreacting.

• Thumbs Up 5

Geeh I can't wait for Archie to adaptations of the games where sonic and eggman are the only ones who do anything while Sonic's friends are just there and do nothing just like the games

In all seriousness I can't describe how I feel about the reboot its positive but I can't describe it

Geeh I can't wait for Archie to adaptations of the games where sonic and eggman are the only ones who do anything while Sonia's friends are just there and do nothing just like the games

In all seriousness I can't describe how I feel about the reboot its positive but I can't describe it

I hope for that too, because fuck Sonia's friends. How many friends did she have, Bartleby? Fuck Bartleby. He was a tosspot.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dude, just because we want the comics to have a better sense of familiarity with the overall franchise, doesn't mean that we're down with them "copying the games word-for-word." Are you certain that they will even do that?

No, I'm not certain they will do that. The main reason things like this get me worried is like before, I use Sonic X as an example, yes, they added some new things, but nowhere near enough and it was pretty much the games in tv form. That was the most boring season of all, since it wasn't original. I said it before in another post, that I dont object to there being familiarity with the game universe and some other things like that. I just dont want them going, oh well there is a new game, let's copy it with only some original material thrown in there to where I already know what is coming and it loses the surprise magic of originality.

Does this make sense?

Now that I've had my fun at your typo, Deji, that'd be the part where I said "build upon the games". IE, work from its locales and characters. And add others, such as, as we see now, the SatAM ones.

Now that I've had my fun at your typo, Deji, that'd be the part where I said "build upon the games". IE, work from its locales and characters. And add others, such as, as we see now, the SatAM ones.

Yeah I guess that can work but you know how people react when they see SatAM/Archie characters for some odd reason