Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

49 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

If Shadow's popular to the point that he shows up in Sonic Universe nearly every other story arc...maybe a new comic is in order?

I'd rather they make "Sonic: MegaDrive" an ongoing comic series.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Picking up the tiny tiny minor details and making them bigger get a "oh my gosh he knows the story so much!!" but ignoring and tearing apart the general flow, good theme and main points of the story that makes the game nice is totally ok? What the heck man.

Well for one, as good a story it was, Unleashed general flow is questionable at best. It has one of the most boring second acts in the games that flat out goes nowhere, completely lacking any intensity of any kind (and we're not talking violence and action here) compared to it's more charged and delivering first and final acts. The most we get out of it is Chip discovering that he's Light Gaia, and considering how previous stories have had more gripping middle acts than that, it's not exactly that big of a revelation when they could have done fare more to build up to it.

Compared to that, the comics are doing a much better job providing something in between - if only they weren't rushing things and made the backstories flow more organically. But I wouldn't call that tearing apart the general flow when said flow was awkward and had gaps itself. And considering one of the themes and main points of the story was duality (of the world, the mind, and the conflict) and world adventure, it's not exactly ignoring or tearing anything apart considering that's still being applied here - the world is still affected at nighttime by Gaia's influence and monsters, Sonic still transforms into a werehog, and we're still seeing different people and cultures around the world, which frankly wasn't played up that much in the Unleashed story itself other than something for the player to immerse themselves in on their own time (and don't get anyone started on how the rest of the game cast is somehow missing during the world's fracture - and no, Sonic and Chip's bonding moment is no excuse for them not at least being seen).

Only thing you can legit criticize as botched up is it's handling of Chip's bonding with the characters, which even people here accepting of the changes can understand to a degree. Don't get it twisted, I see plenty of flaws in the comics myself after Worlds Unite intruded on the pacing. But as someone who also hails it as among the absolute best stories of the games, you guys are giving Unleashed way too much credit than it deserves and ignoring its flaws much the same way you emphasize your issues with the comics in its shortcomings.

Also, where in the blue hell did this idea of Shadow not being allowed to interact with the Freedom Fighters come from? There's hardly been anything to bring him around to interact with, and it's been revealed that he's about to play a part in Panic in the Sky. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Alright, just finised 281; why do the backup stories tend to be better than the main ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Alright, just finised 281; why do the backup stories tend to be better than the main ones.

Because at this point, I suspect Ian's getting a little bored of the same "Find a temple, beat a bunch of baddies, world build, repeat" formula.  At this point, making more character driven stories must feel like a breath of fresh air.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, Mister X said:

Have some spoiler pictures from Universe 85 (sorry for poor quality)

Hide contents

Crystal Sonic.jpg

1000 PAGES!

What's next? Crystal Omega?

...oh wait

89.jpg

For real tho I'm going to guess that the 12th Egg boss would be Wendy or Faulke Wulf.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind a separate Team Dark comic, actually. Especially if it freed Universe a bit. Just not as prioritary as making MegaDrive ongoing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure Breezie never invited Espio, but it was for the Freedom Fighters at least. Maybe she barred GUN members because she didn't want them close to her operations.

It was by invite only. Espio hacked the system to introduce himself and Knuckles, and she allowed it since it made for an interesting roster.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, The KKM said:

I wouldn't mind a separate Team Dark comic, actually.

What would be the value/purpose though? You can't do anything different or special with them since they're always tied to G.U.N. MegaDrive has more unique possibilities in terms of story/plot than a Team Dark comic.

After what happened with the Sonic Boom and Mega Man comic series, I'd rather they slow down and take their time carefully with the main comic series that they're doing now (STH and Universe).

7 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

Because at this point, I suspect Ian's getting a little bored of the same "Find a temple, beat a bunch of baddies, world build, repeat" formula.  At this point, making more character driven stories must feel like a breath of fresh air.

If he focused on that, I don't think he'd get that bored lol. 

50 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

What would be the value/purpose though? You can't do anything different or special with them since they're always tied to G.U.N. MegaDrive has more unique possibilities in terms of story/plot than a Team Dark comic.

After what happened with the Sonic Boom and Mega Man comic series, I'd rather they slow down and take their time carefully with the main comic series that they're doing now (STH and Universe).

Well, I DID mention I'd rather MegaDrive. But don't see how Team Dark are limited in any way. I imagine it'd skewer to a more political tone, maybe, but it writes itself- stuff about GUN operations, the secret missions of Team Dark, etc. Probably similar (although obviously kid-friendly) to comics like X-Force.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, The KKM said:

I wouldn't mind a separate Team Dark comic, actually. Especially if it freed Universe a bit. Just not as prioritary as making MegaDrive ongoing.

Before Team Dark series and after making Mega Drive ongoing, they shuold bring Mega Man back from hiatus. But after that... ohhh, I can see it: Shadow the Hedgehog issue 23, "Ow the Edge" variant. 

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

I imagine it'd skewer to a more political tone, maybe, but it writes itself- stuff about GUN operations, the secret missions of Team Dark, etc.

That would be an interasting way to expand this universe. I'm actualy intrigued by this perspective...

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Well, I DID mention I'd rather MegaDrive.

Yeah. Fair point. :)

I'm on board for a Team Dark Comic. Mostly because I'd love to learn more about G.U.N. and see Rouge get a little focus and character growth.

Also as an aside sorry about my last post I just let my bitterness at the fanbase out weigh my better judgment. I'll try not to do that anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

37 minutes ago, The KKM said:

But don't see how Team Dark are limited in any way. I imagine it'd skewer to a more political tone, maybe, but it writes itself- stuff about GUN operations, the secret missions of Team Dark, etc. Probably similar (although obviously kid-friendly) to comics like X-Force.

I always thought it would be nice to see Shadow (and maybe even Eclipse) to fight against other alien races exclusive to the Post-Reboot universe. Remember the Xorda, Azurites, Bem, Blodex, and the D'Novulans from the Pre-Reboot? I want something similar to that. I think it's a pretty cool concept, IMO.

Well I don't think you could do that for the obvious reason they're gone, but sure, you're starting to get the hang of the possibilities of a Team Dark comic. Stories focusing on Rouge and the underworld, stories focusing on Omega's bonding with others, stories about Shadow getting his Chao, stories about the GUN personnel like the Commander, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Well I don't think you could do that for the obvious reason they're gone

I said other aliens exclusive to the Post-Reboot universe.

Anyway, regarding Sonic Universe 85, there's some things that I've enjoyed quite a bit:

+Axel finally gets some proper character development. I appreciate his motivation/drive for working with Eggman. I'm glad he didn't try to ignore Eggman there. I do respect Axel's sense of pride and teamwork.

+Mordred actually did something useful! I take back anything I said about his character before. Just like Luigi and Krillin, this cowardly character still managed to get a cool moment here. I never would've expected him to return the Witchcarters back to normal with that technique of his. I look forward to seeing more of Mordred in later issues. B)

+I was right about Akhlut still having his psychic powers. Tundra breathing ice is a little strange to me, but at least we finally have a Sonic character that has ice powers! Thank goodness.

+The Battle Kukku is King Bomberman. Maw still continues to impress me as well. His morality code is very intriguing and I'm curious to see how far he'll go in the future.

+So, Wendy was just using the Witchcarters as puppets, huh? I wonder if they're going to work for Eggman, instead. Also, I approve of Crystal Sonic's design. :)

Well, there's only one more issue left until we find out the identity of the 12th Egg Boss. I can't wait to see the end result of this revelation...

We used to have a character with ice powers actually; Dulcy. Then she lost the nose ring handicap and now she's essentially had it retconned out.

7 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

We used to have a character with ice powers actually; Dulcy. Then she lost the nose ring handicap and now she's essentially had it retconned out.

Whatever she did in the Pre-Reboot is no concern of mine, since I enjoy her Post-Reboot incarnation so much more. Both personality-wise and even design-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Can Archie just...get rid of Eric Esquevel already? Pontac and Graff are overbearing, but at least they TELL a joke before ruining it.

Really, I can't recall the last time I've found an Off Panel funny. From any of the writers. Lamar Wells deserves better material to draw than this.

Maybe have Jon gray back. Oh wait Archie shafted him. 

52 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Whatever she did in the Pre-Reboot is no concern of mine, since I enjoy her Post-Reboot incarnation so much more. Both personality-wise and even design-wise.

You were the one who said it's nice to finally have a character with ice powers, I was just pointing out that Tundra isn't the first.

• Thumbs Up 1