Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

12 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

...Wait, Maw and Akhlut's colours schemes are basically just Espio and Vector's colour schemes distributed differently. Huh.

Then again, with such an abundant use of black and white on both, I guess colour choices to add are limited. 

Actually, I was refering to their resemblence to another pre- and hopefully re-boot character who I really hope is still returning. Specifically, I was refering to Ahklut's overall shape and Proud Warrior Race Guy personallity, and especially Maw's species and fur/eye inversion.

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

What troll creature?

Some earlier concept art for Adventure 2 apparently featured cut characters/bosses including Shadow with some of his body parts missing, an angel-like being, a creature composed of many eyeballs, and a troll-like creature with a long nose. Whether any of this is true or not, I wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Some earlier concept art for Adventure 2 apparently featured cut characters/bosses including Shadow with some of his body parts missing, an angel-like being, a creature composed of many eyeballs, and a troll-like creature with a long nose. Whether any of this is true or not, I wouldn't know.

Can you provide the source of information/rumor at least?  

As for the bosses, I am not fond of the fact there are so many of them. I don't hate them, they have potential and I understand they're "regional" hence the number but...we currently have like, 19 characters? that count as villains and most (well all of them excluding Breezie, Hooligans, and Naugus cuz Wendy's prob switch sides) are categorized as Eggman's army. Breezie and Hooligans aren't that much an active threat, and even the BBA guys are Egg bosses. It's the same situation as the "everyone is a freedom fighter" thing, but this time its "Everyone is either under Eggman or closely related to him". I'm not asking for an equal or bigger threat than Eggman, but I'm sure there are bad guys not associated with him still posing a threat to the heroes other than the twins?

Also Witchcarters: I was disappointed they were being controlled. I wanted them to keep their freaky personality while not being controlled, a crazy jolly character working under Wendy because they felt like it or were persuaded. Being forcibly controlled while their will is intact seem interesting in concept but when applied it doesn't make the character interesting because you never know what their actual character is like or what they're really thinking. Anything they do I immediately think, "oh, they're just like that because magical spell". Maybe their personality is the same, maybe its done intentionally to counter the Eggbosses, but them not acting by their will just comes as bland like their design and character to me. Also that makes most of the villains being forced to work under the bigger-villain. 

I have mixed feelings because I don't want them to increase the main cast that much anymore, and yet I also want them to add more villians/heroes that are different.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

Even more Mega Drive (from Twitter):

Cj5AGSsWsAEmFZJ.jpg:large

So I guess whatever it is he's holding there is part of (or the entirety of) the "Megadrive"?

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

If there's one thing I'd change about the Egg Bosses, it's that I'd prefer most of them to have genuine loyalty to Eggman

(...)

I wouldn't mind a single Egg Boss like Battle Kukku being much more resistant and likely to betray the empire given he seems to have his own agenda.

I can't read you. You want them to be more or less loyal to Eggman?

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Also Witchcarters: I was disappointed they were being controlled. I wanted them to keep their freaky personality while not being controlled, a crazy jolly character working under Wendy because they felt like it or were persuaded. Being forcibly controlled while their will is intact seem interesting in concept but when applied it doesn't make the character interesting because you never know what their actual character is like or what they're really thinking. Anything they do I immediately think, "oh, they're just like that because magical spell". Maybe their personality is the same, maybe its done intentionally to counter the Eggbosses, but them not acting by their will just comes as bland like their design and character to me. Also that makes most of the villains being forced to work under the bigger-villain.

I'm pretty sure that's their personalities: why would Wendy make Carrotia talk like that? For fun? No, I think the idea is that they weak minded/ a bit crazy, and that makes them easy to control.

As for other villains, I kinda get why most of them works for Eggman. Comic needs to be appealing for newcomers, there must be ties to the games. Take #219 for example. Good issue and not in the middle fo the story. But newcomer won't know who's Mina, Geoffrey, King Max, Nicole, Feist, Moggul AND Naugus. Even if that person watched Satam, he/she won't know why Nicole has body/was evil, Max is so weak and Naugus an animal. It's nightmare for newcomer.

Connecting villain to Eggman gives a good jumping point. "What is that weird fog with mask? It's so weird and... Eggman built her? Okay that all info I needed". Eggman isn't like Luthor or Joker: Sups and Batman have other villains. Sonic in more like TMNT, in the end of the day everything comes back to fighting Eggman/Shredder. Besides, I know it feels weird, but when you think about it, what we lost connecting Kuku and Phage with Eggman? It definitely opens room for more stories and fighting them is better then yet another E-100 robot. Scourge worked got Finitevus and that was fine, because when he got bored he start following his own agendas and Kuku & Phage will do just that.

Cap. Metal, Eclipse and Phage are really fun villains for me. The only downside is that it only emphasizes that most good stories happen in SU, while Main Book shows us getting another key. Even artists and colorists are better in SU, I wonder if it's on purpose. After all, who reads only spin off book? If you enjoy it, you should read both comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Connecting villain to Eggman gives a good jumping point. "What is that weird fog with mask? It's so weird and... Eggman built her? Okay that all info I needed".

I think "evil virus" would be pretty easy to follow.

Scourge worked got Finitevus and that was fine, because when he got bored he start following his own agendas and Kuku & Phage will do just that.

Except there were a lot of villains who didn't work for Finitevus, so it's not like there was as little variety as there is now, where the majority of new villains are just shoved into the category of "Eggman's minions."

As for other villains, I kinda get why most of them works for Eggman. Comic needs to be appealing for newcomers, there must be ties to the games.

... the same games where Eggman works alone/with robots only? :V Just saying, under that argument, it's equally as confusing for newcomers- "wait since when does Eggman have a whole gallery of random people working for him?"

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think there's much that's inherently confusing about villains not being connected to Eggman from a games perspective. After all, there are about a gazillion game villains that, while perhaps initially working with or being controlled by Eggman, are eventually revealed to have their own agenda. It's obvious that there are non-Eggman-related threats in Sonic's world. There are even a few villains that aren't affiliated with Eggman to begin with, such as the Black Arms and the Babylon Rogues (well OK, "villains" is a stretch, but they're antagonists at least).

3 hours ago, The KKM said:

... the same games where Eggman works alone/with robots only? :V Just saying, under that argument, it's equally as confusing for newcomers- "wait since when does Eggman have a whole gallery of random people working for him?"

Yeah, I'm more familiar with the game version because its the original so it feels weird. Well, I don't mind Eggman having minions because I see it as an alternate universe, but having 95% of the villain as Eggbosses or connected with Eggman and 90% of the cast as FF gets tiring. You can pretty much summarize every fight as "FF vs Eggman('s army)" and that's sad. I want them to be more diverse in roles/affiliation and not just species.

Also, having almost all of the characters introduced as already in the team and everyone know them is kinda lame too. "Meet [character/group], a new member of the comic! Actually they're pre-existing member of the EggArmy/Freedom Fighters so they already know each other". I want more like Dulcy's team where they meet for the first time but put more diversity and story put into their introduction and meeting with the other characters instead of a page or two of them greeting each other and flashbacks. I know I'm asking too much, but if new characters are introduced I hope they are also NEW to (at least most of) the pre-existing characters and use some time to develop their relationship.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, KoDaiko said:

Yeah, I'm more familiar with the game version because its the original so it feels weird. Well, I don't mind Eggman having minions because I see it as an alternate universe, but having 95% of the villain as Eggbosses or connected with Eggman and 90% of the cast as FF gets tiring. You can pretty much summarize every fight as "FF vs Eggman('s army)" and that's sad. I want them to be more diverse in roles/affiliation and not just species.

Also, having almost all of the characters introduced as already in the team and everyone know them is kinda lame too. "Meet [character/group], a new member of the comic! Actually they're pre-existing member of the EggArmy/Freedom Fighters so they already know each other". I want more like Dulcy's team where they meet for the first time but put more diversity and story put into their introduction and meeting with the other characters instead of a page or two of them greeting each other and flashbacks. I know I'm asking too much, but if new characters are introduced I hope they are also NEW to (at least most of) the pre-existing characters and use some time to develop their relationship.

To be fair though, it isn't going to be just that after Panic in the Sky. The reason it's been this formula is due to the Shattered World Saga, and Eggman's role in the original version of Unleashed was to take advantage of it all to steal Dark Gaia's energy and use it to grip the world under his control. I'm nearly sure as well that Ian's confirmed after Unleashed that we will be getting a Lost World adaption, and I mean a proper one, not whatever crap was found in Worlds Unite, which means the Zeti will be involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To be fair though, it isn't going to be just that after Panic in the Sky. The reason it's been this formula is due to the Shattered World Saga, and Eggman's role in the original version of Unleashed was to take advantage of it all to steal Dark Gaia's energy and use it to grip the world under his control. I'm nearly sure as well that Ian's confirmed after Unleashed that we will be getting a Lost World adaption, and I mean a proper one, not whatever crap was found in Worlds Unite, which means the Zeti will be involved.

Right. Somewhere down the line, we'll be getting a full Lost World arc. 

But we don't know if it'll be directly after Shattered World Saga. Personally, I think having two game adaptations, however loose, back-to-back would be displeasing to fans who want something new. I think giving Sonic and the gang some breather time after this three-year-long arc is in order. (Not a filler story, but something lower-scale) Plus, they may succeed in restoring their planet, but the multiverse still won't be fully repaired; there are still dozens of Genesis Portals out there. I think that will come into play later down the line; maybe the FF's join Silver on a multidimensional adventure! (Hopefully not a third crossover arc)

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Right. Somewhere down the line, we'll be getting a full Lost World arc. 

But we don't know if it'll be directly after Shattered World Saga. Personally, I think having two game adaptations, however loose, back-to-back would be displeasing to fans who want something new. I think giving Sonic and the gang some breather time after this three-year-long arc is in order. (Not a filler story, but something lower-scale)

Same. After how long this "adaptation" was(for boon and ill), I would rather use the next year or so to do so lower level stories, possibly taking advantage of what World Adventure established. 

• Thumbs Up 6

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I can't read you. You want them to be more or less loyal to Eggman?

Yes, some more loyal while a small number are less loyal. I actually want Cassia and Clove for instance to be more loyal than they are to Eggman - yeah he's the bad guy, but the guy offers your ill sister cybernetics to save her life for free and gives you the highest rank in his military at a young age and you want to abandon that?! If it weren't for Eggman showing he'll lock your cybernetics for failing him, I'd say fuck that and stay on his side, tho I wouldn't be worshipping the ground as much as Thunderbolt does.

But I'm not really complaining about them being trapped in villainy the way they are now.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Let's be fair here, we're going almost three years into this saga with just the current line of characters we have as it is while it's trying to re-establish its setting. Having things centralized to FF vs Eggman's Army keeps the risk of running off track to a minimum, otherwise having more parties might extend the time even longer than we'd like. Besides, we do have other villains - Breezie, Wally, Eclipse, the upcoming Deadly Six, and technically Dark Gaia is another party involved, it's just that not all of them are getting center stage here.

As far as character introductions go, to my knowledge only four characters out of the whole cast have been introduced in flashbacks (Breezie, Dulcy, Lupe, and Ellidy), and two of them weren't even new characters in the first place, so I don't know where you're coming from with that. They're more reintroductions than anything. Yeah they could have been brought back more organically, but they've been around the FF before in the old universe. Everyone else they practically have introduced as new characters unfamiliar with the pre-existing characters.

39 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

As far as character introductions go, to my knowledge only four characters out of the whole cast have been introduced in flashbacks (Breezie, Dulcy, Lupe, and Ellidy), and two of them weren't even new characters in the first place, so I don't know where you're coming from with that. They're more reintroductions than anything. Yeah they could have been brought back more organically, but they've been around the FF before in the old universe. Everyone else they practically have introduced as new characters unfamiliar with the pre-existing characters.

Yes though the only notable examples I can think of are Breezie(who only Sonic,Tails, and Eggman knew) and the Desert Raiders( who simutaneously were viewed as posers and didn't recognize Sonic initually).

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yes though the notable examples I can think of are Breezie(only Sonic,Tails, and Eggman knew) and the Desert Raiders( who simutaneously were viewed as posers and didn't recognize Sonic initually).

The Desert Raiders didn't know Sonic actually. They thought he was a poser before squeeing all over him when he told them who he was.

18 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

The Desert Raiders didn't know Sonic actually. They thought he was a poser before squeeing all over him when he told them who he was.

Thats what I meant.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Thats what I meant.

I thought you meant characters introduced as flashbacks, because that's what I meant.

My bad.

46 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

More like they were putting up a front to trick Sonic into a trap.

4 hours ago, Toby said:

More like they were putting up a front to trick Sonic into a trap.

That's why I asked how everyone felt about them because I'm not sure if they're completely neutral in all of this and trying to play both sides.

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I thought you meant characters introduced as flashbacks, because that's what I meant.

My bad.

S'cool. Easy mistake to make.

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

That's why I asked how everyone felt about them because I'm not sure if they're completely neutral in all of this and trying to play both sides.

I personally think its a little bit of both. Its implied that Nephthys is only working with Eggman because she sees it as a necessary evil to protect the people of Shamar. The fact that Spike seemed to be genuinely surprised and awestruck by Sonic suggests that while they didn't plan on ever dealing with him, they do respect him as a hero. Though their mixed reactions to Sonic, Antoine, and Big's attacks and survival does sort of muddy things a bit.

Which begs the question: How much does Eggman know about the Gaias, given that Sonar didn't try to get rid of Chip? 

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Which begs the question: How much does Eggman know about the Gaias, given that Sonar didn't try to get rid of Chip? 

I'm gonna wager he only knows a bit about Dark Gaia and knows nothing at all about Chip. The Gaia Manuscripts would've told him plenty about Dark Gaia, as that's pretty much the only Gaia the manuscripts talked about in the game, but even then I don't think Eggman would care too much. As far as he's concerned, Dark Gaia is just this huge monster made of super powerful energy that is to be tapped into. Light Gaia, on the other hand, I don't think he knows about and most likely wouldn't care about him.

This one-shot is going to rock the house.  Right now, I'm just praying this can make the kind of money to convert it into a continuing series.  Because we need more of this kind of work from Tyson Hesse.

• Thumbs Up 5