Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

4 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Anyone remember how sometimes, during the early Flynn era, there would be these inserts that were several pages worth of a comic that was advertising something? Not made by anyone at Archie at all, just ads in the form of comics that were several pages long. There was a Teen Titans one in the comic where Tommy died, a Batman comic that was advertising Big League Chew in the issue where Bunnie and Antoine were getting married, and a comic about Goldfish crackers playing hide-and-seek in one of the Enerjak issues (you can't make this stuff up). I recall that I read once on Dan Drazen's review site that the Sonic Grams were eliminated temporarily because of these comic inserts being added. I would actually like to try to find it again on his site, but sadly, it looks like Drazen removed all the reviews from his site without a trace, for whatever reason. :\ I'm fairly confident I remember something to this effect, though I may or may not have gotten the specifics right.

Haha, yup. There weren't many issues that had those inserts, but I do recall a handful of them did (#181, part one of "Enerjak Reborn" was one of them). I'm not sure I buy that Sonic-Grams was removed to make space for the inserts--they weren't part of the actual comics and they only appeared in a few of the issues that Sonic-Grams didn't run in, so I wouldn't think one had anything to do with the other. Who knows, though?

I did go looking, and it seems Drazen's reviews are still up, or were at least moved, and you can find them here.

Ah, I sorta figured what's been bothering me about the recent main issues. It's not just how the characters are drawn, but the sound effects. It's font and placement is visually irritating to me. It also doesn't match what the characters are doing. It's like they're relying on the sound effect text to make it look dynamic when it just makes the art look duller and less action-y.

Yeah, the sound effects are pretty unimaginative I find, at least it's not as bad as the overuse of 'KER-X' like in the Boom comic. To be honest though I don't really see how what your issue with the action is, could you post an example?

Anyway, thanks for giving me an excuse to post some of my favourite sound effects in comics

Spoiler

tumblr_nb6gwyYBLv1sqgnf7o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nu6g16UjmW1rzas5e_540.jpg

tumblr_nb6gwyYBLv1sqgnf7o5_1280.jpg

when-comics-were-innocent-1-1.jpg

I've always liked "CLOPS" from Lucky Luke when someone's punched. Feels visceral.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Mega Drive? Is that you?

No 'cos that looks nothing like Tyson Hesse's style.

Dunno if it's from Shattered, it doesn't seem like Adam Bryce Thomas's style to me.

Do we know if Tyson Hesse is also pencilling 'The Next Level'? 'Cause if not, it might be something from that. (Though I doubt it, since that issue's still a few months away.)

Well they've got classic designs, but that doesn't look like Hesse's own style, either.

Actually I don't know WHAT penciller that looks like

38 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

Do we know if Tyson Hesse is also pencilling 'The Next Level'? 'Cause if not, it might be something from that. (Though I doubt it, since that issue's still a few months away.)

I believe Ian mentioned on his twitter that he couldn't wait to see what Hesse and Herms do with the Next Level script.

Sorry I'm late with this, but I just got the finale to Eggman's Dozen. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

-The fight scene was way too short. I know Ian wanted us to see the aftermath for all the Egg Bosses, but Doc Robotnik is the real star here; we wanna see him get his hands dirty! At least he got to give Wally a much-deserved walloping.

-Yeah, we all saw Wendy becoming the final Egg Boss coming months ago. But what I wanted was to see her receive some sort of punishment; like, she joins Eggman, only for him to Cyberize her and immediately paralyze her and lock her up with all the other insubordinates. (Maybe have a page-sized shot of all his victims, while he laughs maniacally. Call it sadistic, but I like when Archie!Robotnik is scary)

-We finally got to see Nephthys without her mask. Neat, but it begs the question: Where do her pupils go when she puts it on? Doesn't make sense for the Ninja Turtles, doesn't make sense here.

-I love how jealous Thunderbolt looked when Eggman recruited Wendy. That was a nice touch.

-I feel bad for the Witchcarters. They didn't seem too evil when Mordred freed them from Wendy's control; they just rightfully wanted some payback.

-And finally, Wally did a much better job than Knuckles at collecting Emerald shards. The M.E.'s guardian and his partner, both of whom can sense Chaos Energy, only found three shards in however many weeks, while a troll with no magic powers found all but five of them in a relatively short time. GG, Knucklehead.

This was a good arc, but it kinda dropped the ball at the end. I hope Knuckles and Amy can deliver next month!

6 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Hide contents

-We finally got to see Nephthys without her mask. Neat, but it begs the question: Where do her pupils go when she puts it on? Doesn't make sense for the Ninja Turtles, doesn't make sense here.

Polarized lenses?

I've seen it too. Language warning below...I promise it's not me swearing at the comic.

1. I want Abyss' base. Goddamn robotic angler fish submarine is something I can adapt to. 

2. Heh, the Grand Battle Kukku rests on a perch in his base.

3. This is Mordred by the end of the arc;

4. Aw, would you look at that, they prepared a bath and Stormy's quarters and everything. Thankfully for you lot, I think this clarifies that the base destroyed in #282 is not the Egg Dojo seen here and in the concept art. She must have been trying to expand her grip on the place.

5. Maw seems like he's going to be the nastiest of the bunch by far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just saw 282 and I had same reaction as most of us. I only add that I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't got any context (/briefly exposition?) in terms of Knuckles-Mighty friendship. Kind of same problem I had few issue before. Where despite the fact that Knuckles and Sally were childhood friends in the past-reboot. We didn't get any information about them in the post reboot. Do they even know each other?

I'm not against Knuckles-Mighty friendship, but as for now they bond came out generic to me.

Sonic Universe 86... With each issue I was afraid how comic will manage 18 characters at the same time and it finally caught up with in this issue. Singles scene with Egg Bosses aren't bad, some are even interesting (party for Clove is adorable), but they distract from the core of the issue (Eggy, Crystal Sonic and Twins). Naugus and Metal go down in one punch, half of the story is just cleaning up. Art is jumpy, very first page is beautiful, but 2-page spread is sooo empty. In the end it was a good issue and good arc, but not as good as I hoped it to be, especially as Metal Sonic fan. Still, way better than a main book. (Also, no flashbacks? Now the first two feel kinda pointless).

But in all surprising reveals at the end, I think everyone missed one line of dialogue.

Nephtys: "...allowed us to free a lot of Mobini."

Mobini? On planet Sonic's World? Did Flynn made a slip and no one noticed or are we allowed to use word Mobius-related words?

He's been using Mobian and Mobini since the mandate's been in place, they're allowed. Mobius itself is prohibited though. 

Not to mention they're still using "Mobotropolis" and "Mobiums", so I guess those terms are fair game.

So...I guess Mobius-related-but-not-Mobius-directly words flew under SEGA's radar? Or they're fine with it because at least they aren't "Mobius" specifically? Odd.

I suppose "Mobium" could just be seen as a currency for the Kingdom of Acorn/Westside Island/whatever and Mobotropolis just one location on Sonic's world, makes sense even if I still find SEGA barring the use of "Mobius" itself stupid.

I didn't know they were still using Mobini (or Mobian, for that matter), though. In SU#85, Nephthys asks "where are the little animals?" after Maw's attack. Seems inconsistent.