Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I dunno honestly I expect the leash to be put back on once the anniversary is over.

Still crazy excited for this. I wonder if it's pre-Sonic 1, an Adaptation or after? Or if it'll be the whole Genesis Trilogy? Will the Freedom Fighters be in it *Ducks a Pitchfork*? I'm really excited.

I never expected anything more :P  It's pretty much Sega in more of a lax, partying mood that this is all happening.  That and there's no game to tie in this year XP.  Regardless, I'm all for this.  I'd like Mega Drive to play into this somehow, but I'm almost  certain they're separate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wait, that means I've gotta review this thing...

Having the one person not interested in classic era shenanigans to do that will be interesting. 

53 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

I never expected anything more :P  It's pretty much Sega in more of a lax, partying mood that this is all happening.  That and there's no game to tie in this year XP.  Regardless, I'm all for this.  I'd like Mega Drive to play into this somehow, but I'm almost  certain they're separate.

I think Megadrive is Comic Canon but it's probably not like Required reading. If Genesis of a Hero is like "The History of Sonic" or something I could see a brief mention of the Megadrive device being done with an editors note saying "See Sonic Megadrive for more info" or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda doubt anyone bar Sonic and Eggman will be here. If the arc is called Genesis of a Hero instead of just one part, it sounds like the entire story will be circa Sonic 1, before Sonic met anyone. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

-cringes-

Although I really like that the comic rebooted itself with a clean slate, the biggest thing I hate about this new continuity is the list of mandates Sega is imposing on it. Some of them make sense, such as no romantic relationships (I kinda miss Sonic/Sally during the few times when it was cute, but I wasn't a huge fan of it and romance isn't needed in the Sonic series at all), but then you have things like Sonic no longer being childhood friends with the Freedom Fighters before Eggman's takeover, Uncle Chuck no longer being a blood relative of Sonic's, and Mobius no longer being referred to by name due to that fucking stupid "Sonic's world" rule. While I can certainly understand Sega wanting to control the overall image of the game cast, especially with how they were portrayed in the old continuity, it's like they're reluctant to admit that the comics are an alternate universe and just leave certain elements like those as is.

Chuck is still Sonic's actual uncle as far as I'm concerned so Sega can kinda piss off. Especially since they have no regard for how their characters are portrayed in Sonic Boom.

This is the main thing that pisses me off more than anything with their mandates. 

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

I kinda doubt anyone bar Sonic and Eggman will be here. If the arc is called Genesis of a Hero instead of just one part, it sounds like the entire story will be circa Sonic 1, before Sonic met anyone. 

Unless Sonic met everyone before Sonic 1 in the Archie continuity.

54 minutes ago, Toby said:

Unless Sonic met everyone before Sonic 1 in the Archie continuity.

Not possible. A flashback confirms that the Freedom Fighters were inspired by tales of Sonic's heroics during the time of Sonic 2, and Tails definitely didn't know Sonic prior because the "Sonic saved Tails from bullies and he followed" story is one of the only origins actually within mainline canon. 

12 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Not possible. A flashback confirms that the Freedom Fighters were inspired by tales of Sonic's heroics during the time of Sonic 2, and Tails definitely didn't know Sonic prior because the "Sonic saved Tails from bullies and he followed" story is one of the only origins actually within mainline canon. 

Sonic #281's backup story flashback implies Sonic was at the moment fighting Eggman on South Island, while Tails, Muttski, and Bunnie are still at the orphanage in Rosie's care. Sonic would have had to meet these characters before Sonic 1 took place.

4 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush Repulsa said:

If they're going for an "Origin Story" I hope they'll portray Sonic and Eggman's relationship the same way it was described in the Japanese manual for the first game, that is Sonic already knowing who Eggman is, since he's stopped him time and time again before Sonic 1, with the invasion of South Island being Ivo's "Big Hit".

But who am I kidding, they won't.

I mean, they'll have to tie together South Island with the betrayal of King Acorn somehow. It's not yet clear which happens first, actually, and that might be pretty interesting.

25 minutes ago, kadybat said:

I mean, they'll have to tie together South Island with the betrayal of King Acorn somehow. It's not yet clear which happens first, actually, and that might be pretty interesting.

Well, we already know a lot about Robotnik's Coup via Snively's Origins story:

He and Robotnik worked with Naugus to overthrow King Acorn, but Ol' Eggy doesn't like to share, so he shoved Wally into the Special Zone with him. He and Snively then took over both Westside Island (the location of both Sonic 2 and Sally's kingdom) and South Island: the former to take over the kingdom and build the Death Egg, and the latter to strip and mine for resources.

Also, this will be the third Sonic milestone anniversary in a row that Archie celebrates by doing a Sonic 1 adaptation: First they did it in X for Sonic's 15th, then Genesis for his 20th, and now this!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sean said:

-cringes-

Chuck is still Sonic's actual uncle as far as I'm concerned so Sega can kinda piss off. Especially since they have no regard for how their characters are portrayed in Sonic Boom.

1. My thoughts on that is that what is more powerful: Sonic dropping everything to save someone because they're his uncle or dropping everything to save someone who is such a loving person to him that he considers him an uncle?

2. Boom is technically considered a separate brand that is mostly about comedy. That doesn't null you're criticism, though, its just a double edged sword that comes with providing humor.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

-cringes-

Although I really like that the comic rebooted itself with a clean slate, the biggest thing I hate about this new continuity is the list of mandates Sega is imposing on it. Some of them make sense, such as no romantic relationships (I kinda miss Sonic/Sally during the few times when it was cute, but I wasn't a huge fan of it and romance isn't needed in the Sonic series at all), but then you have things like Sonic no longer being childhood friends with the Freedom Fighters before Eggman's takeover, Uncle Chuck no longer being a blood relative of Sonic's, and Mobius no longer being referred to by name due to that fucking stupid "Sonic's world" rule. While I can certainly understand Sega wanting to control the overall image of the game cast, especially with how they were portrayed in the old continuity, it's like they're reluctant to admit that the comics are an alternate universe and just leave certain elements like those as is.

I think Boom is considered completely separate from the classic&modern continuity/universe, which is why they are more free. I am not fond of the Boom series, but I can tolerate because they're totally different, just having the same "character". Archie, especially currently, is more of a comic adaption of the game series plus original aspects than a complete original like Boom. They use the Sonic & friends that appear in the game, the "modern/classic Sonic", and put in game events into their timeline. Even if it's a alternate universe, they are too similar to allow to be different without some people being confused. (Writing this reminded of a post I saw on Tumblr of someone upset that SEGA gives Sticks attention but "ignore" Sally.)

Also, I guess SEGA just can't risk trusting Archie anymore. Even if everyone say the current writers are trustworthy, SEGA fear once they loosen their grip they will gradually lose control again.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Sonic #281's backup story flashback implies Sonic was at the moment fighting Eggman on South Island, while Tails, Muttski, and Bunnie are still at the orphanage in Rosie's care. Sonic would have had to meet these characters before Sonic 1 took place.

Well there are other games that occurred on South Island. Maybe what Sonic was doing at that point was an altered version of Sonic Chaos' story (one that didn't involve Tails).

For that matter do we know where Neverlake is located in this continuity? Maybe Sonic chased Eggman back to South Island and that led into Sonic CD?

Hell, maybe it's not any specific adventure. Maybe it's just some comic-only thing.

I wish I could say I was interested in Sonic's origin but... ...I'm not.

Maybe if it were written by Eiichiro Oda. His flashbacks are the absolute best.

7 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush Repulsa said:

If they're going for an "Origin Story" I hope they'll portray Sonic and Eggman's relationship the same way it was described in the Japanese manual for the first game, that is Sonic already knowing who Eggman is, since he's stopped him time and time again before Sonic 1, with the invasion of South Island being Ivo's "Big Hit".

But who am I kidding, they won't.

Actually, I'd prefer if this was when they both just met.

I kinda like the idea of Sonic 1 being their origin, where two different people who never met were just a small blip on the world that eventually crossed paths and fought each other before becoming the worldwide juggernauts they are now after the South Island invasion of Sonic 2(?). Makes things a lot more set and structured without the baggage of anyone freely interpreting their origins of them having already duked it out at some unknown time prior to Sonic 1, especially when that has never been explored in the 25 years of this franchise.

• Thumbs Up 7

10 hours ago, Sean said:

-cringes-

Honestly. The only mandates that have done good are the 'no romance' thing, and making Ian not continuosly ruin metal sonic's character anymore

• Thumbs Up 2

I always liked the idea that South Island was the first place Sonic travelled to after leaving home, and he decided to hang around for a while after becoming acquainted with the local Mobini.

He gets comfortable then BAM, Eggman appears.

• Thumbs Up 4

I prefer the idea of them having met long before Sonic 1, with that first game being the first time Eggman went after the Chaos Emeralds and started trapping the animals in robots and stuff. Like, Sonic and Eggman had many small confrontations before Eggman truly began his Master Plans and raised the stakes.

9 hours ago, Sean said:

-cringes-

So i'm going to say something that is probably going to make a lot of folks is this thread upset, before I get to that part I think romance can be a good thing and am upset that is gone.

Ok back to the sad thing,it gets ind of long so i'm going to spoil it.

Spoiler

No they do care about their characters portrayal in sonic boom, those characters are the combination of every decision sega has made in the last few years or in knuckles and amy's case since the early 00's in regards to who they are and how they work. Sonic became a smarmy dick and Eggman became cartoonish to the point of full on incompetence, tails is this guy who has potential , sometimes sassy but never actually goes anywhere, Amy knuckles have retained their pushy know it all girl who is sometimes team mom and sonic strong dumb friend  roles from the early 2000's respectively. This is as simple as this may be , what sega thinks that the characters are widdled down to, at least western sega. Yes its one note and one dimensional.

And I think what particularly confirms this is shadow. Shadow proves that they care about representation, because he's the only chaarcter who's chaarcter changes in all 3 instances of his appearance. In ROL  it seems like he was suppoused to have more in the video game, but he didn't so all they had left are these scenes and this boss fight that just made him seem like vegeta. That version of shadow was largely criticized to the degree the Japanese dub supposedly has lines to downplay his shitness. His second apperence is Shatter crystal where shadow in the prequel comic and in game... just seems like a self righteous guy trying to do the right thing. And in the show, his apperence he kind of doesn't have character at all, the writers smartly just made the episode about him showing up, the writers themselves admitted that they didn't even want to do an episode at first they were afraid they were going to mess it up, so they made it so you can't even gleam a personality on him. He just helps eggman because he finds him pathetic, and is upset when eggman gets in the way, there is no way to discern character personality besides " he likes fighting " but knuckles likes fighting so that isn't exactly unique.

So what does that have to do with anything, it goes like this. I say this as a shadow fan, but shadow is for sega now a hard character to use. He is a character with expectations, when he enters the room, you need to change the theme of the room for him. So he's been largely absent for the past few years, he has still retained his insane popularity so they go " lets use him " the problem with this, shadow popularity comes from the fact that he is inherently more complicated than most sonic characters. He was simply was supposed to be a 1 note sonic clone and die off, he failed at that so hard they accidentally created to what the twitter sonic staff admit and eggman says him self, the 2nd most popular character in the entire franchise. Because he's complicated, even if they don't keep the same story, shadow is a character who changed and grew for better or for worse. So to make his character work... he needs to actually go somewhere. Unlike everyone else who's homeostasis is homeostasis. So every time they try to widdle him down into something one note, its criticized and they change him.

See they care about character portrayal, the thing is sega or at least part of it , thinks that's what those characters are... the sonic boom versions. The archie ones, are the outliers , I said this before but the comic is the last bastion of cool knuckles. If this makes you upset, then you aren't alone In feeling that. But to say they don't care about the characters isn't true, they do. They just have a ( imo sort of bad ) idea of what these characters are now. Like the theme of recent sonic games, just sort of vanilla and nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, archie and Ian are really getting their mileage out of the classic designs huh? probably making absolutely sure they can cram them in everything before next year and the mandate locks back in and they aren't allowed to use them for 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've always been fond of the idea of SegaSonic the Hedgehog being their first meeting. Eggman kidnaps a bunch of animals and Mobians, Sonic, Mighty and Ray meet and escape, leaving Eggman's base in ruins and gaining his ire.

7 hours ago, Soniman said:

Honestly. The only mandates that have done good are the 'no romance' thing, and making Ian not continuosly ruin metal sonic's character anymore

Sega has done a good job ruining the Sonic character for many years and now no longer have a define identity, at this point try to unify the universe of the comic with the games almost no sense the only thing that was made so far is to drive away readers of the old universe.

I have nothing against reboot in fact helped to erase all the garbage that Penders put in the comic, and I tried to read new comics several times but still so bored to me, it's like trying to "enjoy" the stories of the games.

Still though I no longer a reader for this new phase of comics wish you the best and Ian and archie.

7 hours ago, kirby1up said:

the humble bundle antics continue now it looks like the chaotix are in the spotlight.

This is absoutely for the post-Shattered SU arc. Pretty excited to see what this arc is called! I'm hoping after this Chaotix arc we get a sequel to Silver Age or a follow-up to Pirate Plunder Panic, though another "Tails and the Freedom Fighters" arc a la Spark of Life wouldn't be bad either...

• Thumbs Up 2