Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

2 hours ago, Kfarc said:

Waiting for Worlds Unite: The Complete Epic. I had so much fun with Worlds Collide that I just can't wait ^_^

Also, do you think that I can start reading that new Universe arc without knowing current events in main series? 

You mean Sonic Unverses in new world? Yes, with exceptions of Eggman Dozen. This story works better if you know read issues 276-279. Also, you might want to refresh your "Sonic Unleash lore" knowledge, since they talk about it mostly in main book, while in SU it just sorta is.

Overall I would just read main book and Sonic Universes in the same time: 4 issue main book, 4 issue SU, 4 main book, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy cow, I think Tyson Hesse's work REALLY shines in the Sonic: Mega Drive comic. It's cool otherwise, but in Mega Drive he really makes the characters look energetic and alive. It really helps make the comic comedic as well, and I just fucking love Knuckles' recollection of his conversation with Eggman, Tyson's art just completely makes the scene and it was brilliant.

So Ian's answered the question of "How did they get from Green Hill Zone to West Side Island so fast". 

Apparently it is on West Side Island in the comic, even though it's not in the games.

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

So Ian's answered the question of "How did they get from Green Hill Zone to West Side Island so fast". 

Apparently it is on West Side Island in the comic, even though it's not in the games.

Huh. That's a weird thing to change.

Am I the only one who isn't too excited for the Genesis Of A Hero Arc coming up? I mean it's cool to see how Sonic 1 happened in Archie's perspective but considering it's a telling of the past, won't it techinally be another halt in the present timeline?

That said, it's fine to relax after the Shattered World Crisis and tell the stories of the Classic Era but isn't that what Mega Drive is for?

Maybe I'm just being the guy who can't wait for the Lost World Adaption, I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Destructo-Dude said:

Am I the only one who isn't too excited for the Genesis Of A Hero Arc coming up? I mean it's cool to see how Sonic 1 happened in Archie's perspective but considering it's a telling of the past, won't it techinally be another halt in the present timeline?

That said, it's fine to take relax after Shattered World Crisis and tell the stories of the Classic Era but isn't that what Mega Drive is for?

Maybe I'm just being the guy who can't wait for the Lost World Adaption, I dunno.

You're not the only one. If I want Classic-themed stories, I'll read MegaDrive only.

I'm excited for the Lost World adaptation too. It would be pretty neat to see what Ian Flynn could do with that arc. Loads of untapped potential. It could even be better than the S.W.C. arc...if it's executed well, of course.

B.T.W. It's nice to see you again, @Destructo-Dude. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

You're not the only one. If I want Classic-themed stories, I'll read MegaDrive only.

I'm excited for the Lost World adaptation too. It would be pretty neat to see what Ian Flynn could do with that arc. Loads of untapped potential. It could even be better than the S.W.C. arc...if it's executed well, of course.

B.T.W. It's nice to see you again, @Destructo-Dude. :)

Same here. I might have to see when my subscription runs out so I can renew it strategically.

While Im sure Mr. Flynn will do a great job with Lost World within mandates, I still want original content for a while before hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like Sonic: Genesis without the Genesis Wave-related stuff. I just hope it's a lot better this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That is a rather odd choice, but I'm not too bothered by it. Wonder why it's not just the Royal Hill Zone, it has checkerboards and palm trees too.

tnqVVnK.jpg

Everyone's praising this Mega Drive thing. I hope I end up liking it. It's gonna be one of those days if I come back here saying that I didn't.

Is it like Genesis? Cause I thought Genesis was boring.

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

The Tornado would've been a more obvious choice.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Everyone's praising this Mega Drive thing. I hope I end up liking it. It's gonna be one of those days if I come back here saying that I didn't.

Mega Drive has better, much more expressive artwork, far superior characterization and interactions, and a simple plot that isn't clogged by exposition relating to the main story that Genesis deliberately interrupted. It's also pretty hilarious at times.

So basically, nothing like Genesis.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Mega Drive has better, much more expressive artwork, far superior characterization and interactions, and a simple plot that isn't clogged by exposition relating to the main story that Genesis deliberately interrupted. It's also pretty hilarious at times.

So basically, nothing like Genesis.

Sounds like fun then. That would probably be the tag-line I need to make sure I went into it with some optimism. 

"Mega Drive - Nothing like Genesis."

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing that stuck out to me the most about Genesis was just how tough it must be for the guys over there to make the actual process of running through the levels interesting in a storyboarded comic. I remember most of it being regulated to remarks about the way the area looked and a few montages between certain zones but not much else. The only thing that comes to mind when I think of those issues is a lot of frivolous dialogue between characters that I couldn't summon much of an emotion to care about. Just a lot of talking. And chaos energy through a broken tube that Sonic used to turn Super. 

Perhaps I was just really curious to see if the comic would give the okay on having Sally getting double-barrel laser blasted in the face.

• Thumbs Up 1

I, for one, loved Genesis. The anniversary hype coupled with the suspence, fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Sean said:

The Freedom Fighters just weighed the entire Genesis arc down, full stop. I love that bunch, but if you're going to throw us some classic Sonic action then the least you can do is not shoehorn elements that clearly don't belong.

Gonna have to disagree with that. And I disliked Genesis for the exact same reasons.

If you're going to have elements around that weren't there before, make them work well together. Part of the problem with shoehorning...well pretty much anything, is that they don't work well with what's going on and instead clash with everything to the point it becomes annoying. That old saying "they're there just for the sake of being there" in other words.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Destructo-Dude said:

Am I the only one who isn't too excited for the Genesis Of A Hero Arc coming up? I mean it's cool to see how Sonic 1 happened in Archie's perspective but considering it's a telling of the past, won't it technically be another halt in the present timeline?

That said, it's fine to relax after the Shattered World Crisis and tell the stories of the Classic Era but isn't that what Mega Drive is for?

I'm always suspicious when we're returning to Green Hills, since it's just playing on nostalgia. And I was raised on SA1, so I don't even have that. I trust Flynn can make this interesting, but he did wrote "Genesis" and Megaman issue 20 & 55. I guess time will tell.

5 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

They have one thing in common: extremely simple plot of running through zones.

I would tone down a hype (which pretty much always helps) and know that ending isn't very climatic and you should enjoy it just fine. Maybe even love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I didn't know people disliked Genesis.

its okay. 

It was a waste of time though. And I found the flirting between Sonic and Sally cringeworthy. 

Its funny though because I distinctly remember Genesis getting quite a bit of similar praise heaped onto it when it was comming out (throw in some eye rolling "why can't the comic be like this all the time" comments as well) so here's hoping Mega Drive doesn't similarly fall out of grace in a year or two 

Honestly, I didn't care much for Genesis, and was more upset with it interrupting that glorious comeback Eggman made with his second Death Egg.

Plus, its interruption of the main continuity kinda prolonged the entire Naugus/Mecha Sally arc an extra four issues in hindsight. So I would have preferred things without it, honestly.

54 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Honestly, I didn't care much for Genesis, and was more upset with it interrupting that glorious comeback Eggman made with his second Death Egg.

Plus, its interruption of the main continuity kinda prolonged the entire Naugus/Mecha Sally arc an extra four issues in hindsight. So I would have preferred things without it, honestly.

It wouldn't have been prolonged if they just did the more sensible thing and made it a mini series that didn't lean so heavily on the comic's continuity.  It would've also made it a lot more entertaining from what I can imagine, as well as sell better, considering the #1 sales success in the industry.  Not to say I hate Genesis, I do like it, it's just that I know it could've been so much better with a few tweaks here and there. 

Actually, if it were a mini series, we would've even seen Endangered Species in its unaltered form as well.  Hindsight really is a cruel mistress.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I didn't know people disliked Genesis.

Mega Drive would piss me too if if replace the main book for 4 months in the middle of dramatic story.

But besides that I never liked Genesis. Art was pretty, but kinda lifeless. Very generic plot, little charm, FF completely didn't worked in this setting, boring ending. Fourth months wastes on bland fan service, that could've been used on proper "Endangered Species" instead.

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Mega Drive would piss me too if if replace the main book.

But overall I never liked Genesis. Art was pretty, but kinda lifeless. Very generic plot, little charm, FF completely didn't worked in this setting, cheap ending. Fourth months wastes on bland fan service, that could've been used on proper "Endangered Species" instead.

I was just thinkin that.  Granted, Endangered Species should have been out years ago, but that's SEGA for you. I think.

Come to think of it, maybe they should start putting things like that in their own mini-series because I can't help but think that's responsible for some of the arc fatigue people have been experiencing.