Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Archie was the one to decide to derail things for four months with Genesis.

15 hours ago, Destructo-Dude said:

Am I the only one who isn't too excited for the Genesis Of A Hero Arc coming up? I mean it's cool to see how Sonic 1 happened in Archie's perspective but considering it's a telling of the past, won't it techinally be another halt in the present timeline?

That said, it's fine to relax after the Shattered World Crisis and tell the stories of the Classic Era but isn't that what Mega Drive is for?

Maybe I'm just being the guy who can't wait for the Lost World Adaption, I dunno.

Well, it isn't halting a present timeline. At least not in a "Genesis" way. The Big Saga, that Shatered World Crisis is, wil be over by then. There will be nothing to interupt. Yeah, I'm also waiting for a Lost World adaptation, but I'm actually more interested in how it all bagun. And we know that on issue 300 a new saga will begin. In my opinon, after SWC we all deserve a little bit of side stories, just to catch our brethes. And Mr. Flyn deserves that too.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, The KKM said:

If this was in response to my Endangered Species comment, that's not what I meant.

**Doing research**

I think he meant how it was originally going to be a Universe arc before SEGA shot it down and it later got the go-ahead for a main comic arc. 

3 hours ago, The KKM said:

I always assumed SEGA forced the arc for the anniversary, considering Ian already confirmed #225 was originally meant to be followed up by #230 right away,

It was. If I recall from the afterward from the Genesis graphic novel, it was literally a case of Ian coming up with the initial 225/230 story, and Paul going "this isn't enough, we need something bigger".

Excuse my ignorance. but what's with all the Kaminski vjtrioli all of a sudden [last few months]?

22 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think he meant how it was originally going to be a Universe arc before SEGA shot it down and it later got the go-ahead for a main comic arc. 

What Meliden said.

Ian Flynn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 am

Nah, Thrash wasn't meant to be a genocidal monster. That's why I took great pains to make sure he never said he killed them. Whether or not he had the resolve to kill anybody was supposed to be a long-term study of his character. We kinda had to fast track his agenda for "Endangered Species" 3.0.*

As for Finitevus, he's definitely a monster, and he wouldn't be opposed to dump all of echidna, hedgehog, or whatever-kind into a Warp Ring bound for the sun. The thing is, he's out to take out everyone, and trying to Warp Ring 'em all isn't efficient at all. Thrash got exceedingly lucky.

SPOILER: HIDE
*1.0 - Sonic Universe version
*2.0 - Sonic the Hedgehog version
*3.0 - Published version

[spoiler/]

• Thumbs Up 1

So, just a brief tangent, but I saw the Off Panel that Vincent did for Mega Drive and gotdang does it make me wish for an issue with him at the pencils.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Excuse my ignorance. but what's with all the Kaminski vjtrioli all of a sudden [last few months]?

What Meliden said.

Because he was responsible for some of the stupidest decisions on this book for the past few years, and the most recent fuck you before he left seems to have kick started a lot of hatred towards him.

Specifically, he's the one who decided to have Worlds Unite occur right in the middle of the Shattered World Crisis (I can't remember exactly if he's the sole reason, or if Archie/Sega/Capcom had a hand in it, which they likely did), and contributed to a lot of the issues in that arc to begin with, such as hiring a bunch of guest artists without a hint of an idea of how the characters are meant to be drawn and designed, which lead to the incredibly stiff, and off model art for the entire second act of the arc, among other issues. Basically, you know how Worlds Collide decided to be a celebration of both comics, and therefore used the best artists from each retrospective series to handle the stories? Yeah, we likely would have gotten that for Unite if it wasn't for Kaminski.

• Thumbs Up 5

*sigh* So, essentially, he made one substantial mistake on his way out and now that's what people remember him for, is that correct? And I just talked about this a few pages ago.... 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

*sigh* So, essentially, he made one substantial mistake on his way out and now that's what people remember him for, is that correct? And I just talked about this a few pages ago.... 

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because he was responsible for some of the stupidest decisions on this book for the past few years, and the most recent fuck you before he left seems to have kick started a lot of hatred towards him.

I haven't been around as much as others, but I heard a lot about him fucking up on Bumbleking. Worlds Unite is just the most recent, and because of the overall hatred of the arc, it's one that doesn't help him look better when he was a major contributing factor of it's issues.

And if you talked about it a few pages ago, why did you feel the need to bring it back up? There's no point to adding "I just talked about this a few pages ago" when you are the person who decided to bring the topic of conversation back to this subject.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the other problems people have with Kaminski is that he was the one that came up with the memories sub plot for Countdown to Chaos, instead of going full reboot like Ian wanted.  I get the idea was to gently push the fans into the reboot, but it instead made nothing but false hope of the old canon making a return.

Also, not sure if I read it wrong, or my own memory's faulty, but wasn't Kaminski involved in the creation of the Secret Freedom Fighters?

21 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And if you talked about it a few pages ago, why did you feel the need to bring it back up? There's no point to adding "I just talked about this a few pages ago" when you are the person who decided to bring the topic of conversation back to this subject.

I was refering to my talk about Penders and his rep.

Just now, DabigRG said:

I was refering to my talk about Penders and his rep.

And Penders has a bad rep for many many reasons.

41 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did you ever feel annoyed about the Amount of Variants?  All Kaminski.

7 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Heeeey! I liked the SFF!

Oh, I never meant to imply that they were a bad thing.  They were real fun.  I was just wondering if Kaminski was one of the people to drum up the idea of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

One of the other problems people have with Kaminski is that he was the one that came up with the memories sub plot for Countdown to Chaos, instead of going full reboot like Ian wanted.  I get the idea was to gently push the fans into the reboot, but it instead made nothing but false hope of the old canon making a return.

Huh. Kaminski was the editor who had aspirations for the Big Two (i.e. DC and Marvel), hence the events and stuff, right? I'm surprised he was against a full reboot. Hell, you'd think he would've suggested a relaunch (i.e. restarting the comic's numbers with #1 post-Worlds Unite) considering those are a huge thing these days in mainstream comics.

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Huh. Kaminski was the editor who had aspirations for the Big Two (i.e. DC and Marvel), hence the events and stuff, right? I'm surprised he was against a full reboot. Hell, you'd think he would've suggested a relaunch (i.e. restarting the comic's numbers with #1 post-Worlds Unite) considering those are a huge thing these days in mainstream comics.

My guess is that Archie likes the amount of records its cashed in with not changing the numbering.  Brings a few bragging rights to the table.  However I'm curious if they'll restart the numbering after 300.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm new to this board, but I must say that I thought that Mega Drive #1 was excellent and really captured the essence of the original 5 genesis games.

1 hour ago, QuantumEdge said:

I dunno. I think that was actually a good thing, because it allowed us to gradually see how things would turn out and move on instead of suddenly starting over and risk feeling like an accidental slap in the face from Ian over the old world.

Then again, that depends on how Ian would've done it had he did a hard reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

My guess is that Archie likes the amount of records its cashed in with not changing the numbering.  Brings a few bragging rights to the table.  However I'm curious if they'll restart the numbering after 300.

I doubt it. If they didn't renumber with #252 (though they were still selling it as a loose continuation from #247), I don't think they're going to start now. Not unless it's a completely new series.

I would have loved a hard reboot myself, but there's one thing ya gotta keep in mind though. Even if they had started back to the very beginning, classic designs were still mandated against, so they'd be telling the classic stories with the modern designs.

I'd be fine with that personally, but I'm very sure many people would have hated it.