Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

15 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

So the super-rare exclusive is basically stock art?

Pfft, like convention covers are super rare these days.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

So the super-rare exclusive is basically stock art?

Honestly I have literally zero beef with this, 

So I just read Mega Drive. I wish the current comic followed a plot and story like this. The characters, the story, the flow are all great and love the art. I also love the closeness of sonic and amy in this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I wish the current comic followed a plot and story like this.

You mean basically lack of plot and story? Mega Drive's strength comes from visuals and jokes, not gripping story telling.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You mean basically lack of plot and story? Mega Drive's strength comes from visuals and jokes, not gripping story telling.

It is a one shot. The plot is much better than what we have now. Archie jumps from the original stories they tell to the game world and back and forth so much that it takes me in and out of the feel of it so much. This was straight and to the point.

Not exactly directly related to the Archie comics, but since it'll still affect readers in the UK: prices for all US-imported comics will be going up in the UK due to Brexit and how awful the pound is at the mo. 

The collapse of the pound sterling against the US dollar as a result of Great Britain’s referendum result to leave the European Union, has today had its effect on the price of comic books. Diamond Comic Distributors has informed comic book stores that prices have increased as a result of changes in exchange rates, the first time they have done this in eight years.

There are, naturally, increased costs associated with shipping and selling US comic books on the same day – hours earlier indeed – than in the USA. Currently, a $4.99 comic book sells in British comic books stores for around £3.60 to £3.75 in a British comic shop. But Diamond’s recommended price for this comic is about to be £4.50. That’s an increase in the price of an American comic of up to 25%.

In comparison the ComiXology.co.uk price, yet to be changed, is at £2.99 for a $4.99 comic book. It is likely that this price will change soon but as it stands that’s also a massive disparity between print and digital costs.

The new print comics prices will come into effect Monday 18th July for new orders and noon this Friday for reorders. Basically, anything from America that British retailers want to order, you have a few days before the prices rocket. It is expected that Diamond UK are about to be very, very busy.

This may also not be the only price change, as it is expected that sterling will slip further.

So yeah, this really isn't good news for anyone who collects the comics in ol' Blighty. If you're planning on getting any of the comics that are currently out like Mega Drive and such, I'd grab 'em sharpish before the prices go up.

13 hours ago, Meta77 said:

It is a one shot. The plot is much better than what we have now. Archie jumps from the original stories they tell to the game world and back and forth so much that it takes me in and out of the feel of it so much. This was straight and to the point.

Well given the mess it came out of and the way it had to reorient itself, it has to tell the new world in some way.

Haha, I noticed someone on the Mobius Encyclopedia really jumped at the idea of Green Hill Zone being on Westside Island in the comics just because Ian made a mistake. 

Copy-paste from archiesoniconline Sonic Universe #87:

Spoiler

Knuckles go to receive King Max's blessing to search his land, and find Team Dark there.

They briefly recap the events of Total Eclipse and explain they believe Eclipse and the Dark Arms are somewhere nearby.

King Max gives Team Dark, Amy and Knuckles his blessing, but voices his concern about G.U.N. withholding information about the Black Arms.  That it's something the "Old Regime" he fought against would do.  This makes everyone in the room uneasy.

They head out to find the rest of the Master Emerald Shards AND Eclipse. Shadow briefly expresses jealousy that Sonic is running around, being the big hero again.

They also address how G.U.N. has been handling the Shattered World Crisis.  Sending rescue teams and supplies, having robots patrol at night, etc.

The gang finds a large crystal cave with a fake Master Emerald, much to Rouge's delight.  They decide to split up and cover more ground.  Rouge with Amy, Omega by himself and Shadow with Knuckles (much to their not delight).

Amy and Rouge find another fake M.E. and then are attacked by aggressive crystals.  Omega gets crystalized by some unseen character.  Shadow and Knuckles continue to bicker until "Nixus the Echidna" interrupts them, telling them he
is also hunting M.E. shards.

Spoiler

Well, I'm glad Knuckles and Shadow are not buddy-buddy after Eclipse's arc. I hope they will stay that way.

Man, the new issue definitely does not attempt to hide the fact Nixus is Wally Naugus. Same fur colour, same eyes, the clothing has the same colours and buckles, the chest mark is styled like his beard, and they even use a silhouette of Naugus' art in the Who's Who, not Nixus'.

11 hours ago, Toby said:

Haha, I noticed someone on the Mobius Encyclopedia really jumped at the idea of Green Hill Zone being on Westside Island in the comics just because Ian made a mistake. 

Care to elaborate?

*may of may not be that guy

SU 87. Between Mage Drive and "Panic in the Sky" it's hard to to be exited about it ("Nixus Twist" isn't helping), nevertheless I was curious.

Artwork is really good, especially Shadow feels just right, but I'm surprised how under-the-top some expressions are, like Rouge getting exited. After Eggman Dozen I came to expect more from Thomas.

As for the story... I do love the interactions, but most of the story is just exposition. I came to expect this in SU, but some of this feels unneeded why even mention what GUN is doing over the world? Or talk about mind controlling Shadow, when it's not going to be an issue in this story? Will GUN/Acorn relationships play any part in this story?

Okay, I'm nitpicking here. Overall okay issue, but no fireworks.

It's world and lore building. The reason it's brought up it so expand on what's happened in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its world building, I think its bad world building because... you should kind of see gun in the background of all things considering they are a planet wide military organization with enough money to fund functional space journeys. 

But it is world building

Just read the issue somewhere<_< and I must say, Nixus, while undeniably cool looking, is also reopening not-so-old wounds.:(

I actually quite like the worldbuilding around the Acorn Archipelago and GUN. We don't get to see GUN itself very often outside of Shadow and Snively so getting their take on the Shattered World Crisis is appreciated. And it seems the old King Max © isn't completely gone....

Ok. That was interesting. I liked the interactions between characters for the most part. Rouge was surely enjoyable for me, from her being leader to her carring side to her weaknesses for shiny things. It was also nice to see Max taking more initiative as a king (too much Nigel's syndrome thought). I didn't mind GUN exposition. Nixus has cool design and yeahhh... he makes me miss Thrash.

Thought, I have a bit problem with how Amy is written. I mean when it comes to games, Amy and Knuckles doesn't really get along (even thought they don't interact much there, either). Sega seems to paint their relationship in some way like - Knuckles find her annoying, Amy see him as idiot or cold and doesn't like him. I know some may think it's better when they are more positive to each other, but it makes them kind of more boring to me. Same problem with Rouge and Amy - I don't think I ever saw them being on good terms in anything. Thought, I liked that Shadow had a bit bigger tolerance to Amy, even when she teased him, makes perfect sense after SA2 accident.

And kind of disappointed that Team Dark showed up so early. I was hoping to see a little more Knuckles and Amy together.

Another thing, what the hell, Rouge? Why you team up Knuckles and Shadow together? Sound like terrible idea. Wouldn't it makes more sense if you and Amy would go together, Shadow with Omega(or Amy) to keep him in check from burning everything and Knuckles alone, since he is in his comfort zone (out of civilization)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who thought Knuckles holding Team Dark partly responsible for what happened with the Master Emerald was kind of dickish?

The reason he shattered it was ultimately because Eclipse wanted it. Team Dark on the other hand where as hellbent on preventing that from happening as Knux was. Sure they wanted to protect in a different way, but they still had the same goal of keeping Eclipse away from it. Granted if Team Dark did get their way then Snively would've been able to get his hands on it, but they wouldn't have known.

Basically, if Team Dark weren't involved, Eclipse would've still come after it, likely leading to the same result regardless.

If Knuckles and Team Dark stopped Eclipse, Team Dark probably would of taken the M.E. regardless so it was a lose-lose situation for him. Shattering it was his best option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_oa9esjKyZ11v7m09qo1_1280.jpg

Going to have to agree with what everyone else said.

tumblr_oa9etlA8Vq1v7m09qo1_1280.jpg

Ooooooo, Shots Fired

• Thumbs Up 4

Knuckles never was much of a hero really.

It's more then that really. Knuckles may find that GUN/Shadow did "sloppy job" in taking out Black Arms by not killing Eclipse and by extend bringing him troubles on his island. Another thing is that, from Knuckles' perspective Team Dark still would take M.E. if they had a chance, no matter what.

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Basically, if Team Dark weren't involved, Eclipse would've still come after it, likely leading to the same result regardless.

Or Eclipse would fix the ship, never met knuckles and just fly off Island (or walk off, whatever)

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Am I the only one who thought Knuckles holding Team Dark partly responsible for what happened with the Master Emerald was kind of dickish?

The reason he shattered it was ultimately because Eclipse wanted it. Team Dark on the other hand where as hellbent on preventing that from happening as Knux was. Sure they wanted to protect in a different way, but they still had the same goal of keeping Eclipse away from it. Granted if Team Dark did get their way then Snively would've been able to get his hands on it, but they wouldn't have known.

Knuckles is a kind a not person. He's not evil, but yeah.  I know sega since...heroes has been trying to convince you he's just sonic's daft friend ,hes not a good person. He is very much out for his own interests and peace of mind, the echidinas pre reboot were the same way.

I like this portyal of this character, Because it shows the dynanicism of these characters.

Anybody notice the Sonic 2 TaxStealth reference?

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Man, the new issue definitely does not attempt to hide the fact Nixus is Wally Naugus. Same fur colour, same eyes, the clothing has the same colours and buckles, the chest mark is styled like his beard, and they even use a silhouette of Naugus' art in the Who's Who, not Nixus'.

Probably just to keep SEGA and Penders away, can't make any new Echidna's anymore thanks to those 2. I like how the design looks like Boom!Knuckles a bit.

Yeah. Shadow's nice in the comics I guess.

I'll be honest, I don't totally see too big a difference between the way he is here and how I remember last perceiving him in the games but that's probably because my concept of Shadow in the games is extremely muddled and all over the place since he acts completely different from game to game. With one writer on the comic it's a lot easier to keep his character consistent. I can't assign one definition to the way Shadow is in the games in general. I could to how he is in one specific game at a time though.

3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm loving how they keep Shadow strong, but not so stoic and overpowered in this universe (like Sega does), an a rather enjoyable asshole with a heart as oppose to a demeaning butt monkey (that some people would like him to be) or insufferable dick (that Boom does). This banter is what we really need in the games.

Like the background between the Kingdom and the Federation. I'm actually a lot more interested in the past between GUN/The United Federation and the Kingdom of Acorn than I am with who Naugus Nixis is, honestly. I'm hoping we get a kinda "flashback" arc that shows the Great War between these two nations more in-depth prior to Eggman's takeover.

I'm kind of interested in the context of demeaning butt monkey? As far as boom goes, I would call him an insufferable asshole, more " who is this character even " .

Also comic shadow like game shadow is just kind of overpoered, so I don't really Know what you mean by that? Do you mean dialogue? If you just mean power levels, he's just kind of overpowered. The rouge line you quoted, or rather the lines round it, was a backhanded acknowledgement of that.

I am also way more interested in the goings on of gun and the nations of the world... that Nixis, he's yet to actually make me care about his entire existence. And I would much care for a storyline involving gun and the nations of the world than... well nixis. Also his name is dumb.

Also the art in this issue, dunno if I love it or hate it. 

Also The redesign hammer hit sally's dad better than it hit sally. 

Edit: Good on the king for acknowledging an obvious problem, people should be PISSED Gun is telling no one there are any amounts of black arms on the earth. They had the planet on the brink of destruction, why wouldn't you tell everyone, everyone should be dedicating forces to finding and eradicating all left over black arms anything. Heck It would be interesting, if for whatever reason he didn't like shadow. Though i guess everyone wouldn't really know he is also a black arms, he looks like a hedgehog.  but yeah good job king, in one panel you became more useful than your daughter post reboot.

As for the old regime, I don't know how old his father is, but this is probably during the time, of the space colony arc incident, so yeah, gun were some jerks doing bad things and making bad times, like murdering children.