Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I just read SU #87 as well and I have to say, something really struck me upside the head when I was reading it. The fact that Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, and Omega were all in the same room together talking about stuff just seemed like something out of a dream I might have had when I was younger. I would have flipped out and been bouncing off the walls had I any access to these comics as a kid. This is especially true for the ones that just focus on the game characters. It's really amazing thinking about that.

These interactions are things I can't ever get in the games anymore too nowadays. That's so sad.

I laughed at Nixus though. Really Naugus? 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I just read SU #87 as well and I have to say, something really struck me upside the head when I was reading it. 

These interactions are things I can't ever get in the games anymore too nowadays. That's so sad.

I laughed at Nixus though. Really Naugus? 

Yeah, unfortunately, Omega in particular isn't the most utilized character and doesn't really get the chance to interact with characters outside the usual.

I know, right? Crafty or not, the idea of Naugus posing as this superbuff character with his shirt off was so ridiculous I had to draw a picture just the piledrive the point home.

9 hours ago, Komaru Naegi said:

Worlds Collide was the crossover I dreamed about with Sonic and Mega Man. It really does show that Sonic and Mega Man have way better chemistry for crossover material than say a certain fat plumber who's only comparisons are...they're both platformers. I always read a random issue now and again of it, damn shame about World's Unite being pretty bad looks like no one wanted to even work on it.

worlds collide to me is pretty much  super mario bros z but instead of sonic its classic megaman and it works incridbly well.

sadly i think worlds unite was doomed from the moment more sega and capcom were shown. it couldnt work in the same amount chapters wc. after seeing project x zone 2 playthrough i think it could of work as a game instead.

Delighted that Mega Drive has sold out, now then, off to my local comic shop to pre order the variant :-)

I think Mega Drive was great, but I'd rather see them integrate that art and storytelling into the main series than create a whole new one. I just think that having more than two books for the same character is overkill. Just like Marvel having numerous X-Men books is overwhelming when trying to decide which series to follow.

1 minute ago, TKD_Tarantino said:

I think Mega Drive was great, but I'd rather see them integrate that art and storytelling into the main series than create a whole new one. I just think that having more than two books for the same character is overkill. Just like Marvel having numerous X-Men books is overwhelming when trying to decide which series to follow.

Arguably, you could say that the main book is Modern Sonic while MegaDrive is Classic Sonic.

Plus, part of me wants to think that MegaDrive doesn't have to star only Sonic.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Plus, part of me wants to think that MegaDrive doesn't have to star only Sonic.

You raise an excellent point about Mega Drive becoming almost an anthology series, much like the original Detective Comics and Action Comics. Perhaps a Mega Drive comics could become a large book that features stories in the new continuity of the Sonic universe. 

1 minute ago, blade57331 said:

Wait, is Mega Drive it's own thing or is it connected with the main archie stories?

It is it's own thing... but it's actually sort of a prologue to the main story. In other words, it takes place before the story in the main books. Also, it takes place directly after the Genesis Sonic titles (Sonic the Hedgehog, 2, 3, & Knuckles, CD) and jumps in using those stories.

Has that actually been confirmed? I know it was said it would tie into the main books, but for all we know it might very well not.

The use of Super-Badnik alone together with what Lovallo said points to this being a flashback in the comic's continuity, yes.

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Has that actually been confirmed? I know it was said it would tie into the main books, but for all we know it might very well not.

• Thumbs Up 6

That's weird, it feels very self contained to me, what with the classic gang being the stars, Eggman not his usual completley sadistic self, and none of the archie originals

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

That's weird, it feels very self contained to me, what with the classic gang being the stars, Eggman not his usual completley sadistic self, and none of the archie originals

Well, one of my favorite things about the reboot is that it remembers Sonic is supposed to be a vagabond, so some games/adventures have him go it alone.

Eggman isn't only sadistic, its just more pronounced at times.

Yeah I guess I'm just still used to Sonic being tethered to the Kingdom of Acorn that the idea of him  going on his own adventures is still a little weird to me lol 

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Yeah I guess I'm just still used to Sonic being tethered to the Kingdom of Acorn that the idea of him  going on his own adventures is still a little weird to me lol 

You're used to Sonic not being Sonic? 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Sparky said:

You're used to Sonic not being Sonic? 

I never had a problem with Sonic being Kingdom bound at all because I knew that Archie wasn't 1:1 translation of the games obviously , nor did I think the Sonic's vagabond nature being down played meant he was an entirely different character (really his drifter nature is a secondary characteristic to me, not absolutely vital). 

So no, I'm not 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I never had a problem with Sonic being Kingdom bound at all because I knew that Archie wasn't 1:1 translation of the games obviously , nor did I think the Sonic's vagabond nature being down played meant he was an entirely different character (really his drifter nature is a secondary characteristic to me, not absolutely vital). 

So no, I'm not 

Well, I mean, Sonic's free-spiritedness and drifter nature, and not being tied down by anything or listening to anyone else's thoughts and views on what's right and stuff, are core essential aspects of Sonic's character. It's why Amy was created in the games the way she is, because being tied down by a relationship goes against Sonic's character, so his love interest has to be someone that wants to chase him down and marry him while he wants to avoid that and isn't interested. It's why he's described as like the wind, and it's why the Chaos factor thing makes perfect sense in regards to his personality and stuff. Sonic does whatever the heck he wants and lives life only by his own rules and sense of right and wrong, not anybody else's. Sonic's lifestyle and nature is endlessly roaming the land going where the wind takes him, searching for adventure and excitement while moving at supersonic speed, with nothing tying him down or holding him back. If Sonic was tied down by an outside force like the government and was restricted to following their rules and orders, then he'd be like Shadow and he wouldn't be entirely happy even if he appears to be. Chaos Control instead of just Chaos. 

Honestly, now that I think about it, Sonic in the previous continuity wasn't really Sonic at all, because he was mostly bound to the Kingdom of Acorn and relationship were too big a factor in his life. The previous continuity had Sonic tied down, and that's just not right.

Agree to disagree then. Sonic as a character was mostly fine to me in the previous continuity (under Ian' direction obviously)  because despite sticking in one place (probably because this is a comic and he needs a consistent cast to interact with as opposed to randomly wandering the earth) he still had a lot of aspects that felt like Sonic to me (the romance sucks but I didn't say it was perfect, also it became downplayed as time went on), and Sonic has said time and again that he would go against the kingdom (and has done so) if he thought he was in the right, so saying he "wasn't Sonic at all"  just comes across as extremely hyperbolic to me 

Even in the current continuity he's still "tied down"  by a group of friends and hasn't done a lot of random roaming. I just don't see it as an extremely vital, ironclad aspect of his character, you can still be a free spirit and live by your own rules with being a vagabond 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Soniman said:

probably because this is a comic and he needs a consistent cast to interact with as opposed to randomly wandering the earth

don't want to get into the old argument again of whether archie did right or wrong with these choices, just that this justification is kinda bullshit since, you know

there's nothing inherent to comics that says characters must stay in one place

there's specifically lots of comics about the exact opposite

it's an argument that irks me because it feels ignorant of the actual history and possibilities of comics, when you blame archie's choices not on their own choices but on the medium

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's too busy in this arc to do any sort of wandering but hopefully we get a modern solo adventure once Unleashed is over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic in the current comics is implied (at least I hope so) to wander on his own from time to time but still regroups with the Freedom Fighters when it comes to really important missions. Which I think is a good compromise

• Thumbs Up 9

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Sonic in the current comics is implied (at least I hope so) to wander on his own from time to time but still regroups with the Freedom Fighters when it comes to really important missions. Which I think is a good compromise

Same here. Putting Mobotropolis on Westside Island was a brillaint way to tie in the Freedom Fighters: they (and Tails ) are essentially ascended fanboys.

6 hours ago, Zulon Eredas said:

Oh, okay then. I kinda figured they were separate, but that works for me just as well.

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

don't want to get into the old argument again of whether archie did right or wrong with these choices, just that this justification is kinda bullshit since, you know

there's nothing inherent to comics that says characters must stay in one place

there's specifically lots of comics about the exact opposite

it's an argument that irks me because it feels ignorant of the actual history and possibilities of comics, when you blame archie's choices not on their own choices but on the medium

Regardless of whether it's inherent or not that a character must stay in one place - which while true it doesn't dictate that they should -  the point remains that Sonic isn't any less "Sonic" just because he stayed put in a kingdom more than he did adventuring around. That isn't a set-in-stone trait of his given the many other variations the character has had throughout his entire 25 year history, and if people want to talk about how it's less Sonic for him to not explore, I'd expect these same people to raise as much of a stink over how it's less Knuckles for him not staying put as a guardian in similar cases like Boom or the OVA.

• Thumbs Up 3

If there's a version of Sonic that can be accused of not feeling like he belongs in a stationary group, it's probably post-reboot Sonic. Pre-reboot Sonic had an excuse: he was childhood friends with the other FFs and lived in Mobotropolis before Robotnik's takeover. After the reboot, Sonic just shows up randomly one day and decides to stick with the FFs, which is... weird. Though I read something about him meeting them after Sonic 1 and still going on frequent solo adventures with Tails afterwards (like the Death Egg trilogy, etc.) so I really hope that that's the case.